Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

The Remote Viewer posted:

I'm probably going to get flamed to death for this, but I don't care.

Maybe it's time to consider putting this old horse down. Most of the core functionality has been subsumed by the forum itself, and what's left breaks often and stays broken for days or weeks at a time. The days when something broke and a fix came out within hours appear to be over.
Salastread hasn't been broken for months. Consider hitting that update button in the Tools > add-on menu every once in a while. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Lollerich posted:

Salastread hasn't been broken for months. Consider hitting that update button in the Tools > add-on menu every once in a while. :confused:

I was using the latest build as specified by the first post. Some threads had highlighting that wouldn't go away even after clicking the 'mark thread unread' button. I'm pretty sure that's a known issue. I also had a strange mix of forum-style buttons and SALR-style buttons, which I presume was caused by the known issues with that functionality.

There's definitely broken functionality in the most recent build. I can't remember the last time there was a build in which every feature worked as intended.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm not an SALR fanboy an admittedly have most of the SALR button stuff turned off, but the button issue was fixed not 6 posts above your first one.

The highlighting thing is a bit odd but it doesn't bother me enough to care.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

There's definitely broken functionality in the most recent build. I can't remember the last time there was a build in which every feature worked as intended.

I bill out at US$75/hr. If you're willing to pay that, I'll dedicate time to working on SALR. Until then, it gets worked on in my spare time.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

I was using the latest build as specified by the first post. Some threads had highlighting that wouldn't go away even after clicking the 'mark thread unread' button. I'm pretty sure that's a known issue. I also had a strange mix of forum-style buttons and SALR-style buttons, which I presume was caused by the known issues with that functionality.
The first thing you mention as a bug doesn't happen to me, and the second one has definitely been recently fixed, so maybe you don't actually have the current version.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

RedKazan posted:

Threads you read on other computers will show up with the default forums buttons and threads you read on your current computer should (hopefully) show up with the buttons of your choosing, but it seems to be a little wonky right now. I'll post a workaround patch for this later.

That's not the problem at all. The problem is that the icons stop detecting after the first full read thread (ie with just the x, not both x and goto button), and don't display after that. I posted about this on the last page. SALR no longer tracks your read threads, so it doesn't matter which computer you read them from.

Maybe it's time to consider putting this old horse down. Most of the core functionality has been subsumed by the forum itself, and what's left breaks often and stays broken for days or weeks at a time. The days when something broke and a fix came out within hours appear to be over.

If you don't want to use the additional features, then don't. The rest of us do.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

What's the point of this post? I'm thinking you should have just voted one and moved on. Duz and the rest are doing great, there much about SALR to love and need. I really don't get why you felt the overwhelming need to post this, why you care whether there's continued work on SALR at all. Oh, wait, are you a troll?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is always the option to uninstall it if you think it is broken.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

porktree posted:

What's the point of this post? I'm thinking you should have just voted one and moved on. Duz and the rest are doing great, there much about SALR to love and need. I really don't get why you felt the overwhelming need to post this, why you care whether there's continued work on SALR at all. Oh, wait, are you a troll?

I didn't feel an overwhelming need to post this, actually, I was just trying to stimulate discussion on whether SALR had largely run its course as a forum phenomenon. Voting the thread a one would be pointless, I'm not trying to stop other people from using it if they want to. Don't take it personally, it's just software.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Carnivean posted:

That's not the problem at all. The problem is that the icons stop detecting after the first full read thread (ie with just the x, not both x and goto button), and don't display after that. I posted about this on the last page. SALR no longer tracks your read threads, so it doesn't matter which computer you read them from.

I haven't noticed that, even before I changed the icons to work with what the forums give me and not the database. While some of the X's used to not convert properly, it didn't stop converting there for me. Also my salastread.sqlite still seems to get entries for thread tracking :confused:

I didn't feel an overwhelming need to post this, actually, I was just trying to stimulate discussion on whether SALR had largely run its course as a forum phenomenon. Voting the thread a one would be pointless, I'm not trying to stop other people from using it if they want to. Don't take it personally, it's just software.

I'd agree that it's not the :monocle: phenomenon it once was but lots of people still find it useful for various things. While some of the main functionality has been made obsolete by the forums, a lot of people like the little things, or just having things look the way they want.

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Am I the only one that uses the menu? When I've turned off SALR for testing, that's the first thing I notice. Do other people use it? Customize it? Or do they just take it for granted?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
It's the thing I use the most. The quick ability to access the Control Panel, PM's, etc are awesome. Realistically I could do this with bookmarks but why bother?

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Chamberpothead posted:

Am I the only one that uses the menu? When I've turned off SALR for testing, that's the first thing I notice. Do other people use it? Customize it? Or do they just take it for granted?

This is one of my favorite things about the extension.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So you waited till page 10 to pose a question already posed by the very title of the thread and did so in a fashion that simply consisted of complaining about bugs?

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES

Chamberpothead posted:

Am I the only one that uses the menu?
Besides Quick Reply, the menu is the best (currently functioning) feature in SALR for me.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

RedKazan posted:

I may be blind but I hadn't seen a resolution for this yet so I thought I'd contribute something. This svn patch adds a button to the page of archived threads you have starred to unstar them, as seen here:

It's not the most elegant way of going about it but it works for people that just want to clean up their stars until something better comes along to manage them.

I also wrote another patch for my own personal entertainment that other people might enjoy having, it adds a Ban History link in the Profile bar after Post History, as seen here (red circle not included):

I'm no JS master so if something can be done better feel free to fix it up.

Edit: Fixed a typo in my first patch that somehow didn't manage to break it :confused:, link is updated

Call me an idiot but how do I use these patches to update SALR? :confused:

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2571027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post333698726

I haven't tried it myself, but that's the suggested method.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Aratoeldar posted:

Call me an idiot but how do I use these patches to update SALR? :confused:

They'll be in the update I'm going to push out in a few hours if nothing breaks while I'm testing it.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

duz posted:

They'll be in the update I'm going to push out in a few hours if nothing breaks while I'm testing it.

:woop:

Have I told you lately that I love you duz?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Updates!

Known Issues
See the second post

Changelog
RedKazan patches and fixes have been integrated into the main code
Includes a Ban History link and an Unstar link

Bug Fixes
Stuff like switching icons is working!

Starky
Nov 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Nevermind. Had a retarded moment :v:

Starky fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 24, 2007

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Another feature that was added:

You can now Shift+Ctrl click on a thread in the Starred Threads menu to unstar it for quick cleaning or if the thread is no longer reachable for you (archived/deleted).
Also, marking threads as unread should work as intended in terms of icons and coloring, any further issues with that are most likely forum code problems and not SALR. Sometimes threads might show up as read if you open/close the browser just after marking them unread, but an F5 will update that.

A known issue with this nightly is that the slight gradient on the background of visited threads is not removed immediately when you mark the thread unvisited (it is however removed with a refresh), that will be corrected in the next nightly.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 24, 2007

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot
I just installed the latest update, and now every thread in my control panel has both buttons. Surely the intended behavior is for only threads with current unread posts in them to have a blue arrow button? The current implementation is worse than the broken one from the previous update.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Carnivean posted:

I just installed the latest update, and now every thread in my control panel has both buttons. Surely the intended behavior is for only threads with current unread posts in them to have a blue arrow button? The current implementation is worse than the broken one from the previous update.

Do you have 'Always show "Go To Last Post"..' option checked? Mine are displaying just fine in the control panel.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

RedKazan posted:

Do you have 'Always show "Go To Last Post"..' option checked? Mine are displaying just fine in the control panel.

I did. It must have been a relic of previous updates. My apologies.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Thank You very much duz & RedKazan. :heart:

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I just updated to 1.99.070923 and now the OP is no longer highlighted as 'Thread Poster'. However Mods, Admins, and the SALR 2.0 guys are still highlighted properly. The only option in the control panel that seems to be involved is 'highlight interesting and important usernames' which is checked. Is this just me?

Edit for clarity and tiredness. Sorry.

anticake fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 24, 2007

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

anticake posted:

I just updated to 1.99.070923 and now the OP is no longer highlighted as 'Thread Poster'. However Mods, Admins, and the SALR 2.0 guys are still highlighted properly. The only option in the control panel that seems to be involved is 'highlight interesting and important usernames' which is checked. Is this just me?

Edit for clarity and tiredness. Sorry.

That's a forum option now, not an SALR option. Mods, Admins, developers and anyone you care to add a note to are still SALR options, just not the OP.

This Man, His Corn
Apr 2, 2003

by I Ozma Myself
Thanks for the update, there's still plenty of useful features.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

While I agree that most of the core functionality has been implemented in the forum, there's still very many reasons to use SALR. The advantage you get with SALR is bleeding edge functionality that you wouldn't get in the forums. Just think about how long it took until the -core- functionalities were implemented. Think about how long it would take to include any other functionality. And it's all these bleeding edge functionalities that are the reason why people should use SALR. Another good thing about SALR is that if you want something added, you can suggest it and the people may implement it on their spare time (thanks everyone who has contributed), just because you proposed it.
Personally, I have uninstalled SALR, but not because it's bad software, but because I only needed the core functionalities it provided (which have now been implemented in the forum now).

Darth Mirth
Dec 12, 2004

Jedi business.
Go back to your drinks.

oval office Fuckula posted:

Thanks for the update, there's still plenty of useful features.

Like others have said, the menu is particularly useful. I also really like the feature where you can color posts made by certain users. In the TVIV Survivor forum, for example, I have all the posts by Yau-Man (a standout contestant on the show last season, now an occassional goon) to show up in green. Very handy.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

What's the syntax in the userContent.css again if I want to hide links? There are quite a few links like "http://forums.somethingawful.com/adlist.php" that I never use that I want to hide.

Something like this?
code:
a:[[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/adlist.php[/url]] {display: none !important;}
It's been so long since I used this :(

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Lollerich posted:

What's the syntax in the userContent.css again if I want to hide links? There are quite a few links like "http://forums.somethingawful.com/adlist.php" that I never use that I want to hide.
Something like this would work:
code:
@-moz-document url("http://forums.somethingawful.com/adlist.php") {
 a {color: #fcf !important;}
}

vkeios fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 25, 2007

Elise
Jun 28, 2004

by SA Support Robot
cool, downloading now, thanks

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

duz posted:

Updates!

Thank you very much for this and all the work you and everyone does. I really like SALR and I appreciate the quick response times you guys have for updates. Also the ban history thing and fixing the arrows was cool.

Thanks guys. It makes my SA experience better :)

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Carnivean posted:

That's a forum option now, not an SALR option. Mods, Admins, developers and anyone you care to add a note to are still SALR options, just not the OP.

Then I would like to alert whomever that it still pretends it's a feature of SALR.

It's continued inclusion is what confused me.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

anticake posted:

Then I would like to alert whomever that it still pretends it's a feature of SALR.

Sorry, I hadn't even noticed. Currently that option requires that you have the forums option for OP highlighting on, then it recolors it to whatever you have it set to in the SALR options as well as adds the title under the name. I'll include that in my next batch of fixes.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

vkeios posted:

Something like this would work:
code:
@-moz-document url("http://forums.somethingawful.com/adlist.php") {
 a {color: #fcf !important;}
}
Thanks dude :)

Starky
Nov 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

anticake posted:

I wondered about that too but glad to see something will be done about it. Hope you guys keep the coloring thing for admin and mods. I sometimes miss them because the star icon they have doesn't catch my attention. The color code helps a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

After looking at it, there's no realistic way to internally figure out who the OP is consistently given all the ways you can reach any given page of a thread, unless that forums option is enabled. So treat the OP coloring option in SALR to mean "Change the default color of OP's from what the forums colors them as, if I have the forums option enabled, and optionally set their title". :shobon:

• Locked thread