Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Is it possible to add a feature that automatically expands YouTube embedded videos?

There is a greasemonkey script floating around that can do this for any page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swanson
Mar 9, 2002

Marty, here's your keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight.

kri kri posted:

Is it possible to add a feature that automatically expands YouTube embedded videos?

In the meantime, you can use this greasemonkey script that has worked very well for me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2397868

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
The old unread button is back now, but clicking it does nothing but make both the 'Go to newest post' and 'Mark unread' button disappear. Refreshing the page shows the thread as if you hadn't even touched it before, i.e. both buttons are still present. Has this been addressed already?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If my mouse gestures absolutely do not work at all, and I mean the blue thing doesn't even pop up, what did I do wrong? I formatted my laptop today and installed firefox, adblock plus, and SALR in that order and it still doesn't work. It didn't work from before but I assumed that was the competing versions or something. Why doesn't the one from the first post in this thread work?

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

Lache posted:

The old unread button is back now, but clicking it does nothing but make both the 'Go to newest post' and 'Mark unread' button disappear. Refreshing the page shows the thread as if you hadn't even touched it before, i.e. both buttons are still present. Has this been addressed already?

SALR can not mark threads unread (this is handled by the forum itself, not SALR). You can turn off the "Mark unread" icon in the Forum pane of the SALR configuration pane.

Edit:

To reiterate what duz posted earlier:

duz posted:

I have a cool idea for SALR! or I found a bug, you people are jerks!

Our project is hosted on the goon run Bounty Source. If your bug/idea is not already on the list feel free to post in this thread to talk about it or even add it to the list.

Post your feature requests there / in this thread and they stand a better chance of being implemented than if they're only in the previous thread(s).

Demented Footstool fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 31, 2007

MyDogIsBeano
Jun 21, 2005

by Lowtax
How does the bounty work? I wanted to put a bounty on my feature requests and it acted like it was going to take the money right away. Also what's a good bounty amount?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lache posted:

Your profile must be messed up or you're not running the latest versions, the code for the unread button has been removed.

Krinkle posted:

If my mouse gestures absolutely do not work at all, and I mean the blue thing doesn't even pop up, what did I do wrong? I formatted my laptop today and installed firefox, adblock plus, and SALR in that order and it still doesn't work. It didn't work from before but I assumed that was the competing versions or something. Why doesn't the one from the first post in this thread work?

The mouse gestures default to off. You have to go into the options and enable them. If they still don't work, let us know.

Also, new nightly up. Fixed the null thingy and you can now change/remove the OP/Admin/Mod text.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

duz posted:

The mouse gestures default to off. You have to go into the options and enable them. If they still don't work, let us know.

You also need to have the page navigator enabled, or else you can't change thread pages.

Juz
Sep 18, 2004

Jesus is fucking metal.
edit: Oh god, not sure how I missed erebus' post, sorry

Juz fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 31, 2007

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Juz posted:

The "Original Poster" highlighting doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm on the latest version, and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, but it's still not highlighting the original thread poster. The admin, mod and custom user highlights are all working fine.

I can't see anything on the bug list, so I guess most people can't be having this problem, am I doing something wrong?

:bang:

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

erebus25 posted:

Let's just repeat that so that the next three pages aren't full of people asking the same thing.

IF YOU THE THREAD POSTER'S NAME ISN'T BEING HIGHLIGHTED GO TO THE "USER CONTROL PANEL" LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE THEN "EDIT OPTIONS" AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE "Highlight the username of the "original poster" in thread posts" SET TO YES.

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire
SALR will soon (next nightly) support highlighting posts that quote you.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
When I started this it seems like a useful feature, but now I'm not so sure, but anyway.

SALR User stalker feature.

Allows you to temporary track a persons posts.

Click the "U" under a persons avatar and have all their posts highlighted in this garish blue colour (I set the default to an even worse green, but the colour can be changed through the preferences).
Clicking that "U" again will switch off the highlighting.
Clicking someone elses "U" while someone else is highlighted switches the highlighting to that user.
Oh and the highlighting persists across pages/threads if left switched on.

I'll post a diff against the my current version on bountysource in a bit in case anyone wants to include this feature.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

erebus25 posted:

Alternatively you could just use the already integrated "Add Coloring/Note" feature under each post.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Carnivean posted:

Alternatively you could just use the already integrated "Add Coloring/Note" feature under each post.

Yeah I know there's a cross over of features, but this way is more temporary version and easier to switch on and off in a thread without having to reload the page.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
Right after doing an :awesome: job of creating a new feature that already exists I thought I'd actually create a feature someone has actually asked for.

Move Read Threads to the Top
I've attached a patch to MyDogIsBeano's feature request here

Like I said in the comments, my first time creating a patch file so let me know if there any problems with it.

Obligatory screenshot;

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

erebus25 posted:

Right after doing an :awesome: job of creating a new feature that already exists I thought I'd actually create a feature someone has actually asked for.

Like I said in the comments, my first time creating a patch file so let me know if there any problems with it.

Obligatory screenshot;

This would be a great feature for the control panel/bookmarked threads list, like it used to be.

poopiehead
Oct 6, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

This would be a great feature for the control panel/bookmarked threads list, like it used to be.

Wouldn't all of them be read threads and be moved to the top?

Unless you mean move threads that are partially read to the top.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

poopiehead posted:

Wouldn't all of them be read threads and be moved to the top?

Unless you mean move threads that are partially read to the top.
No. If you skip around you can start to break up the bookmarked threads. I'd love to see a way to resort them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

erebus25 posted:

Join the SALR community on BS so I can give you commit access.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a way to add "Starred Threads" to my SA menu?

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

kri kri posted:

Is there a way to add "Starred Threads" to my SA menu?
Configure SALastRead -> Menus -> Add Star Menu

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

erebus25 posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the code for this if you don't mind. The highlighting / background coloring of quotes is something that would be good for the highlight-posts-that-quote-you feature, and I'd like to see how you did it.

poopiehead
Oct 6, 2004

-Dethstryk- posted:

No. If you skip around you can start to break up the bookmarked threads. I'd love to see a way to resort them.

What I mean is that all threads that are bookmarked are necessarily at least partially read. Some are fully read. What you want and maybe what that feature is is all partially read threads moved to the top with fully read threads unaffected. Right?

(As the feature was described, it sounded like it would move up both partially and fully read threads)

MyDogIsBeano
Jun 21, 2005

by Lowtax

poopiehead posted:

What I mean is that all threads that are bookmarked are necessarily at least partially read. Some are fully read. What you want and maybe what that feature is is all partially read threads moved to the top with fully read threads unaffected. Right?

(As the feature was described, it sounded like it would move up both partially and fully read threads)

Yes my request was for any thread I had read on any given page to be at the top (whether or not it had unread posts). What others seem to want is something else for that one specific (bookmarked threads)spage.

What I wanted (and apparently erebus delivered (THANKS!) was just something that would bub le threads I had read up to the top. It's really really useful for scanning back a few week since any thread you have looked at will be sorted to the top of that page. Sometimes you forget the title of a thread (or the title has nothing to do with what you want to find in the thread.)

So my question stands for BountySource: How does it work? If I pledge the money for this feature will erebus get it, or what? Or is it a general fundraiser for the whole Bounty SOurce site? Or are the pledges doled out to the team as a whole? If the money does not go straight to the team, is there a paypal donations button somewhere else?

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

MyDogIsBeano posted:

So my question stands for BountySource: How does it work? If I pledge the money for this feature will erebus get it, or what? Or is it a general fundraiser for the whole Bounty SOurce site? Or are the pledges doled out to the team as a whole? If the money does not go straight to the team, is there a paypal donations button somewhere else?

I believe that you'd have to pledge an amount for the feature, and then erebus would have to add his solution and then wait a week for it to "clear" (anyone can look at the solution to see if there are any issues).

It might just be easier to donate directly to him if you want.

Hopefully someone else can clear up how exactly it works.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

duz posted:

Join the SALR community on BS so I can give you commit access.

Cool I just noticed a couple of bugs that I'd like to fix first, oh and once I've figured out what BS is.

Oh and seems that a side effect of sorting the thread list is that this also sorts the bookmarked thread list as well, which should please some people. I'll add an extra option so you can switch them on and off individually.

Demented Footstool posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the code for this if you don't mind. The highlighting / background coloring of quotes is something that would be good for the highlight-posts-that-quote-you feature, and I'd like to see how you did it.

Sorry I've only just caught your post, I've added this feature as well;

But as you can see there are a couple of points I'd like advice on before I commit this code.
1) Any idea on a good default color? I'm guessing not everyone will like my choice of #00FF00.
2) Should the quote itself get changed to a darker version of that default color?
3) And I can't seem to find a good way to get a user's username out of SALR, so as a fix I grab the name from the "Custom user highlighting" stuff. Any one have a better idea?

If we stick with the "Custom user highlighting" way it will mean two things;
1) A person will have to add themselves with the "Add Coloring/Note" link
2) And then of course will get 3 pages of people complaining that the highlight of people that quote you doesn't work because they haven't done this.

Actually that brings up another bug, if someone doesn't add a comment to a user they've added to the custom colouring, then they don't show up in SALR configure panel. Probably should fix that while I'm here.

Comments? Questions? Insults?

MyDogIsBeano
Jun 21, 2005

by Lowtax
I kind of would like it if the whole team got some. (I meant money, but I hope they 'get some' too.)

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

erebus25 posted:

3) And I can't seem to find a good way to get a user's username out of SALR, so as a fix I grab the name from the "Custom user highlighting" stuff. Any one have a better idea?

If we stick with the "Custom user highlighting" way it will mean two things;
1) A person will have to add themselves with the "Add Coloring/Note" link
2) And then of course will get 3 pages of people complaining that the highlight of people that quote you doesn't work because they haven't done this.

Actually that brings up another bug, if someone doesn't add a comment to a user they've added to the custom colouring, then they don't show up in SALR configure panel. Probably should fix that while I'm here.

Comments? Questions? Insults?

I actually committed this feature last night (including pulling the username from SALR username highlighting) with just about the same implementation as you did (just without having *only* the quoted block highlighted). However, your implementation seems better so feel free to commit over what I did.

Edit: Your post just made me realize my code was slightly broken in that it only checks the first quote in a post to see if you're quoted. I can either fix it or let you deal with it.

Demented Footstool fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 1, 2007

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Edit: Your post just made me realize my code was slightly broken in that it only checks the first quote in a post to see if you're quoted. I can either fix it or let you deal with it.

Well at the moment, the why I handle it is in handleShowThread, I have this
code:
  var userId = persistObject.userId;
  //Crappy way to get the username, but what else can you do?
  var username = persistObject.getUserName(userId);
  if (username!=null) {
    var userQuote = persistObject.selectSingleNode(doc, post, "tbody//tr/td/blockquote[contains(@class,'qb2')]/h4[./text() = '"+username+" posted:']");       
    if (userQuote!=null) {
      post.className += ' salrHighlightQuote';
    }
  }
I should probably clean that up so it doesn't have to ask for the username for every post, just do it once at the top.

And then this to insert the CSS
code:
  //insert dynamic CSS for highlighting quoted users
  var hqucss = 'table.salrHighlightQuote td { background-color: ';
  var prefname = 'highlightQuotePost';
  //Check to see if we are in FYAD, god help us all.
  var isFYAD = persistObject.inFYAD(persistObject.getForumID(doc));
  if (isFYAD) { prefname += 'FYAD'; }
  hqucss += persistObject.getPreference(prefname);
  hqucss += ' !important; }';
  SALR_insertDynamicCSS(hqucss, doc);
Should be simple enough to get it to colour the quote as well.

I'll check the code when I merge it, no point in over righting good code, oh and again any suggestions on colours whould be appreciated.

Now as for the problem of users without comments/note not appearing in the custom user highlighting thingy, can anyone explain why we currently have
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata` WHERE `color` != 0 OR `background` != 0 OR (notes IS NOT NULL AND notes != '')"
Rather just than
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata`"
There's probably a good reason but at the moment it means people can't tell when they've added people without giving them any colour/note information. Unless someone complains I'll replaced it with my shorter version otherwise I think it will just add to the confusion.

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

erebus25 posted:

Lots of code stuff

Heh, even the code is just about the same.

erebus25 posted:

Well at the moment, the why I handle it is in handleShowThread, I have this

What I meant was that my code only handles the first quote in each post - so if the post has two quotes and your username is mentioned in the second quote block, it won't be highlighted.

The easiest way is to let the user decide what color they want for their quoted backround and just use the same background value as their own posts (rather than adding yet another color picker box to the options.) Either that, or add a "user" of -1 and have the code pull from the color value of said imaginary user.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

erebus25 posted:

Cool I just noticed a couple of bugs that I'd like to fix first, oh and once I've figured out what BS is.
BS is bountysource, if you haven't figured it out yet. https://salr.bountysource.com/

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

The easiest way is to let the user decide what color they want for their quoted backround and just use the same background value as their own posts (rather than adding yet another color picker box to the options.) Either that, or add a "user" of -1 and have the code pull from the color value of said imaginary user.

Hmm for reason I've got a mistrust of magic numbers in things like this, the only numbers we can assume won't be used for userid are 0 and -1, and for some reason a user with userid 0 is already in my custom user highlighting.

Besides I've already added the code to add a new colour picker for this, I thought it fit into the category rather than user highlighting and also it allows to have different colours depending on which forums (FYAD/BYOB/other).

This is unless people would prefer that just the name of the person that quoted you is highlighted rather than the whole post like I have at the moment?

Disgustipated posted:

BS is bountysource, if you haven't figured it out yet. https://salr.bountysource.com/

Ah yeah I've been looking around bountysource already, but for some reason my mind didn't connect BS=BountySource. I'm signed up as erebus25.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
Sorry for the double post just checking something.

Scud/Duz, looks like Duz was right about the "Show signature once per thread" being broken because of the way the forum handling has changed. If someone else hasn't done this I've put a fix into the code I'm working on at the moment.

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

erebus25 posted:

Hmm for reason I've got a mistrust of magic numbers in things like this, the only numbers we can assume won't be used for userid are 0 and -1, and for some reason a user with userid 0 is already in my custom user highlighting.

Besides I've already added the code to add a new colour picker for this, I thought it fit into the category rather than user highlighting and also it allows to have different colours depending on which forums (FYAD/BYOB/other).

This is unless people would prefer that just the name of the person that quoted you is highlighted rather than the whole post like I have at the moment?

Ah yeah I've been looking around bountysource already, but for some reason my mind didn't connect BS=BountySource. I'm signed up as erebus25.

The color pane for categories is a good place for it, and I like having the entire quoted block show up highlighted, but it'd be easy enough to have a checkbox to change between highlighting just your username or the whole quote block.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

erebus25 posted:

can anyone explain why we currently have
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata` WHERE `color` != 0 OR
`background` != 0 OR (notes IS NOT NULL AND notes != '')"
Rather just than
code:
There's probably a good reason but at the moment it means people can't tell when they've added people without giving them any colour/note information. Unless someone complains I'll replaced it with my shorter version otherwise I think it will just add to the confusion.

Most likely to stop the list (in the SALR preferences) showing all the mods/admins that are automatically added.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

erebus25 posted:

Now as for the problem of users without comments/note not appearing in the custom user highlighting thingy, can anyone explain why we currently have
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata` WHERE `color` != 0 OR `background` != 0 OR (notes IS NOT NULL AND notes != '')"
Rather just than
code:

It's because the userdata table also stored mods and admins.
You've got commit access to the SVN now.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
I've updated the SVN.
Just to note, I've set it so that posts that quote you are coloured by default as this seemed to fit the style of the other colouring options, and I've changed the default colour to two shade of purple, one for the post and dark one for the quoted text (even if it's not your quote). As I mentioned before, people will need to add themselves via "Add Coloring/Note". So possible this actually should default to off, either way I prefer to find a better way to get a username but can't think of a better way at the moment.
I added two options for sort threads in the thread listing and the control panel, these default to off and are under "Forum" in the SALR control panel.
And I've changed the code that gets the Customised User Colours so that it retrieves all users who aren't mods or admins, even if they don't have a colour/note associated. I think this is a reasonable compromise.
Fixed a couple of small bugs in the rest of the code that I found along the way as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I must be blind, but I put >> Starred Thread Menu << into my Pinned Forums, but it does not show up. Feel free to bash me if I am being an idiot. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

kri kri posted:

I must be blind, but I put >> Starred Thread Menu << into my Pinned Forums, but it does not show up. Feel free to bash me if I am being an idiot. :3:

Changes to the menu won't appear until you restart Firefox, I assume you restarted Firefox? *begins looking for bashing stick* ;)

Having said that I think most applications give you a dialog box telling you that "These changes won't take effect until the application is restarted". Perhaps SALR needs this when changes are made to the SALR menu.

• Locked thread