Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Swilo posted:

Is "Highlight quoted interesting people" under the Colors menu supposed to do quotes of admins/mods/customs in a similar fashion to yourself? If so it's not working, if not it should :)

It works just fine for me, but then when i highlight people, I give them much different background color settings than normal. I'll test this though, hold on.

OK i tested it with you:

It highlights with the background color you selected, I just happened to choose yellow for you.

madprocess fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
A poster in the Worst D&D poster thread in Helldump pointed out the Stylish extension to me, and from there I saw the "dark redesign" option available for it. Now that works fine, and i edited my SALR post coloring to match it to my eyes at least. However, when SALR adds the last read coloring it adds a light border for the table cells that are read as you can see in this:

Naturally the top part is two read posts, with the table border plainly not matching, and the bottom are two read posts.

How can I edit SALR to change the color of the border? I can't seem to find how to do it anywhere in SALR or its code.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

duz posted:

I'll be changing it over to this for the next release.

I'm redoing the post styling so it may go away in the next version. Let me know if it does/doesn't.

Great! There's also a few SALR interface widgets like the Go To Last Post button that need to have white edges on them replaced with transparency, but I can easily just edit the images on y hard drive for that when I need to.

Here's the Stylish file for the "black redesign" if it'll help with your testing: http://userstyles.org/styles/4907

Edit: i just realized that SALR forces the text in posts to black when they're read which also conflicts with my color scheme.

madprocess fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 27, 2008

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I asked about this a few months back, but are there any plans/existing ways to customize how SALR recolors read posts?

Here's how it looks for me, I use a custom stylesheet to change the default colors of the forums: https://wi.somethingawful.com/58/58764baac1f15ae7e5af7869e37b69da33086b80.png

My problem is there doesn't seem to be any way to keep SALR from making read posts have white borders and black text, you can only customize the color of the recoloring.

Is there a way to change the behavior in the code itself somehow?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

RedKazan posted:

I don't see anywhere in our CSS stuff that sets anything other than the background color for post bodies. Firebug shows it as inherited from the forum's main.css. You may need extra entries for tr.seen1 and tr.seen2.

I can't seem to make it work though, it almost seems like SALR is making it ignore my CSS on read posts.

Here's what I'm using in Stylish:

code:
@namespace url([url]http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml[/url]);

@-moz-document domain("forums.somethingawful.com"),domain("archives.somethingawful.com"),domain("forum.somethingawful.com") {

* { font-family: Corbel !important; }

body {
		background-color: #000 !important;
		color: #ddd !important;
		}
	td.title, td.icon, td.replies, td.rating, td.posts, td.banned, #pm td, tr.seen1, #filter, .altcolor1 td, #main_full td, div.standard  {
		background-color: #323232 !important;
		border: 1px solid #434343 !important;
	}

td.author, td.views, td.lastpost, td.moderators, td.users, td.archived, td.topics, tr.seen2, .altcolor2 td  {
		background-color: #393939 !important;
	}

th.icon, th.title, th.replies, th.rating, th.author, th.rating, th.lastpost, th.views, .category, #pm th, #info th, th.moderators, .forumbar, .threadbar, #main_full th, .standard h2 {
		background-color: #434343 !important;
	}

.moderators { text-align: right !important; }

.qb2, textarea { 
		background-color: #478 !important;
		border: 1px solid #000 !important;
		padding: 10px !important;
		color: #eee !important;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
	}

.qb2 h4 { color: #000 !important; }

pre { 
		background-color: #698B69 !important;
		padding: 10px !important;
		color: #fff !important;
		font-family: Corbel !important;
	}

pre hr { 
		color: #333 !important;
		background-color: #333 !important;
		height: 1px !important;
		border: 0 !important;
	}

a { color: #4F94CD !important; }

body, a:visited { color: #4481B2 !important; }
#usercpnav li { 
float:left; 
padding:1px 0em !important; 
background:#3f3f3f !important; 
border:1px #333 solid !important; 
font-size:12px !important; 
font-weight:normal !important; 
color:#036; 
}

a:hover { text-decoration: none !important; }

dt.author { color: #698B69 !important; }

select {
		height: 15px !important;
		background-color: #323232 !important;
	}

option {
		background-color: #4A708B !important;
		padding: 3px !important;
	}

#mp_bar {
		background-color: #393939 !important;
		padding: 5px !important;
	}

#globalmenu {
		background-color: #333 !important;
	}
	#container {
		width: 97% !important;
		margin-left: auto !important;
		margin-right: auto !important;
	}
td.title div.lastseen { 
	border:1px solid #050505 !important;
	background:bottom right no-repeat url('http://img.waffleimages.com/82942786db856d6d8f85e1ba433b1bee297da3e0/newpost-button.PNG') #070707 !important;
	float:right !important;
	margin:5px !important;
	padding:0 !important;
	min-width:8px !important;
}
#forum td.title div.lastseen a.x {
	font-size:9px !important;
	border:0 !important;	
	color:#dbb !important;
	background:bottom left no-repeat url('http://img.waffleimages.com/82942786db856d6d8f85e1ba433b1bee297da3e0/newpost-button.PNG') #070707 !important;
}
#forum td.title div.lastseen a.count {
	text-align:right !important;
	width:32px !important;
	border-left:1px #070707 solid !important;
	padding-right:12px !important;
}
form#ac_timemachine { 
margin:0 0 6px 0 !important;
font-weight:bold !important;
padding:2px !important;
padding-left:22px !important;
font-size:10px !important;
width:300px !important;
}
form#ac_timemachine.active {
background-image:url('http://i.somethingawful.com/core/icon/fsilk/clock_red.png') !important;
 width:370px !important;
}
#ac_timemachine { 
background:#3f3f3f url('http://i.somethingawful.com/core/icon/fsilk/clock.png') no-repeat !important;
 background-position: 3px 4px !important; 
}
#ac_timemachine select { 
}
#ac_timemachine input { 
}
table#forum.archives tr th, div.forumbar.archives { 
background-color:#8F0035 !important; 
}

#ad_banner_user, .ad_banner_oma, #searchboxes, #nav_purchase, #unregskyscraper { display: none !important; }
}

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

RedKazan posted:

I don't see anywhere in our CSS stuff that sets anything other than the background color for post bodies. Firebug shows it as inherited from the forum's main.css. You may need extra entries for tr.seen1 and tr.seen2.

After trying all manner of things to get my CSS file to work, it seems only completely disabling all of SALR's coloring functions will allow the read posts to have the "proper" borders and font colors as specified in my CSS. Naturally I really like the SALR coloring like user highlights and quote coloring and such.

Would it be possible to add the ability to choose custom font colors and border colors in the colors menu of the SALR config? It would be a perfect fit with the post-body colorers, and the rest of the color choosers.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

duz posted:

How odd, it's working fine for me. I'll have to do some digging.

Also, would moving the paginator from the corner to the status bar (to get rid of the FF3 slowdown) be a good idea or do many people hide the status bar?

The paginator doesn't seem to slow down Firefox 3 here (Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3 RC2). I'd much rather have the option to have it in the corner maintained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

minato posted:

I've been maintaining a large GreaseMonkey script to perform various forum enhancements for me, and it occurs to me that other people might find them useful too. I'm considering porting some of these to SALR, if I can find the time to get acquainted with the codebase. Any feedback on these features?

[Note: Most of these I've already implemented in GM, some of them are just ideas]

Thread Listing Features

Move ratings next to title
Moves the ratings column to the left of the title column. This makes it easier to scan down the page and pick out threads with high ratings.

Filter ignored users
Threads started by ignored users are hidden. (Is this already implemented in SALR? I don't think it automatically filters out threads by ignored users.)

Fix ratings
In some forums such as FYAD, thread ratings show after only a couple of votes which means it's difficult to tell which threads have a decent amount of people voting on it. This hides the rating unless a minimum number of votes have been made (5).

Show Thread Features

Fix "Watch"/"Unwatch" button
Moves the "Watch"/"Unwatch" button from the very top of the thread to the bottom, which is usually where I am when I decide I want to watch the thread. (Although a better solution would be to add it to the SALR context menu, as someone recently suggested in this thread)

Show image filename
Puts the image's filename into the title (if it's empty) so that it's visible if you hover over the image. Useful for those times when the joke, clue, or name of the person in the photo is in the filename.

Remove low content posts
Hides posts that just empty-quoted someone, or just a single emoticon reply. Useful in places like LF or FYAD where empty-quoting basically means "I like this post".

It also strips images in a quote block if the number of images exceeds a certain value (currently 3). This helps prevent image spamming and people quoting large numbers of images just to make a one sentence comment.

Filter image threads
For threads that are primarily for posting images (many in PYF, and the "post the <blah>-est images you got" threads in LF/FYAD/YOSPOS), this filters out posts that don't contain any images (emoticons and quoted images don't count). It's enabled per-thread.

Client-side "Show Avatars" preference
I want to see Avatars at home but not at work, however the Forums control panel option is server-side. So I keep them on, but this scrubs them on my work PC.

Streamlined view
Useful for quickly reading a thread. This removes much of the extraneous buttons and leaves just the bare-bones: User name and post content.

Hellbanning
See here for background on what a Hellban is
This one may be controversial. It's "Ignore User" on steroids. If you mark a user as Hellbanned, then not only are their posts entirely hidden from you, but if anyone quotes them and comments on their quote, then the quote and the comment are removed too. And if that means the resulting post is empty, then that post is hidden too. It basically means that the hellbanned user is entirely removed from your page, you never even know they were there, even if someone else quoted them.

The posts are restriped with the alternating colors so that there's no evidence that posts have been removed. Although of course the removal means you might occasionally see no posts on a page, or all the posts on a page are colored "read".

Can you check that your script works in Scriptish? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/231203/ Scriptish is a Greasemonkey fork that actually works on the Firefox 4 betas while Greasemonkey crashes horribly.

IF it does, could you post the script itself up somewhere?

• Locked thread