Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Download the latest version. Please be sure you are using the latest version before posting about any issues your having as it may already be fixed. Also make sure you have the highlighting options turn on in the Forums Control Panel (see the bottom of this post for the particulars). If you do not, we will laugh at you and call you names. You stupid doodie head.

If your menu has gone all empty, click here to restore it.

(oh, and here is a version for some browser called Opera or something)
If you want just the menu without all the cool features, that is over here

The brief history of SALR

Back in the old days, the forums didn't track what threads you read so biznatchio write a Firefox extension to do it for you. In time, biznatchio no longer had enough free time to keep the extension up to date with the forum changes so others took over. After some time, the extension was updated to use the Firefox 2.0 SQL engine for even better stability and thread tracking. Recently the forums have added read thread tracking rending much of what this extension does obsolete.

Is that the end of SALR?

Nope! SALR has also had other features in addition to read thread tracking and it will continue to do those.

In a totally non-leading question, what are those additional features?

Glad you asked! It does many other things like converting linked images to inline images, ignoring threads (sometimes not working), converting YouTube links into embedded players (also partially broken), mouse gestures, drop down forum menu, keyboard navigation and other stuff I've forgotten.
Here are some screen shots to show off what else it does:

Resizes obnoxious custom titles!

Adds scrollbars to wide titles/avatars, allows per user coloring of usernames and post backgrounds, add per user notes, adds a link to that specific post.

Sticks a quick jump paginator to the bottom corner of forums and long threads.

Allows adding gradients to the thread list as well as changing the `New Posts` & `Unread` icons and the background colors.

Instill fear and panic when the forums update and SALR stops working.

And my favorite feature, the quick quote window that, when clicking on the quick buttons (pictured below), allow you to quote several people, post a new thread, or edit your own post in a floating window to allow you to remain browsing the thread you're on.

More screenshots

Keyboard Navigation!
  • N - Next Post
  • P/M - Previous Post
  • J - Next Page
  • K/H - Previous Page
  • O - Reanchor thread
  • Q - Quick Quote current post
  • E - Quick Edit current post
  • R - Quick Reply current thread

I have a cool idea for SALR! or I found a bug, you people are jerks!

Our project is hosted on the goon run Bounty Source. If your bug/idea is not already on the list feel free to post in this thread to talk about it or even add it to the list.

I know the Javascripts! Can I submit a patch?

Sure thing, just register with Bounty Source and send me, duz, a PM so I can give you commit access. Just make sure your code's format is consistent with the rewritten sections of code.

I don't have plat, how else can I contact you?

I and some of the other developers can usually be found in #salr on irc.synirc.net

Make sure your forum side preferences are set to the below!

duz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Known Issues

SALR starring a thread does not add a star
Scrolling down on pages with the paginator visible can make things really slow in Firefox 3, a fix is being worked on

The time stamp is a lie

duz fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 2, 2008

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

I'd like to add the favorite question from the old thread to your list.

It should work fine now, I pushed out an update an hour or so ago.
Let me know if it is still broken.

nbv4 posted:

so does SALR no longer tracks threads and replies?

Nope. It should track which threads you've posted in but that might be broken, I havn't had a chance to double check. Forums track the last read count.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

CygnusTM posted:

I just checked for an update and got nothing.

D'oh. Forgot to update the file that says there's a new version. I really need to script that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

MyDogIsBeano posted:

Is there some trick to getting a username added to the list of interesting users, or is it just broken now?

Below each post is a Add Coloring/Note link, click that to add them to the list. Right click a name in the list to change the coloring/note.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Demented Footstool posted:

d[-.-]b - It seems your username breaks the forum's quoting code.

Only if you don't know magic.

d[-.-]b posted:

¡ɔıƃɐW

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Effingham posted:

Dammit.

When I opened Firefox this morning, it asked if I wanted to update SALR. Like an idiot, I said "yes." Now it's not working again.

The quoted images aren't showing (again) and no combination of buttons in SALR seems to fix this. what got *un*fixed in the new release?

The only thing I touched was the code that inserted the new rate thread icons. If you're still having problems, uninstall and reinstall the extension.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

poopiehead posted:

Can't tell you how it happened but the poster id is stored in the sqllite file. So either digging in and deleting the row(with something like this or deleting the whole file will probably fix it. If you delete the file you will lose any info SALR has stored about threads. Thread highlighting shouldn't really be affected though.

Since the forums now track the OP, I need to update that code to remove it from the database.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

New Nightly out.
Post any issues you have here, after making sure you're using the latest version.

Known Issues
See the second post

Changelog
Custom user notes shouldn't overwrite the magic three (OP, Admin, Mod)
OP detection is now forum based and doesn't use the DB
Spoiler tags added to the VB Code Button
Waffle Images button should support URL transloading

Bug Fixes
Custom user notes shouldn't overwrite the magic three (OP, Admin, Mod)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Disgustipated posted:

Bug report, 070729:

Admins/Mods are getting "null" tacked on to the end of the "Forum Administrator" thing. I assume it has something to do with the new code to not over write the "magic 3".

Yep, it has to do with the new OP detection. Go into your Forums Control Panel and enable highlighting. It should then go away. I'll fix it permanently tonight.

Lollerich posted:

Why doesn't the plugin auto-update itself any longer?

I believe that by default, Firefox only checks once a week for updates.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

Is it possible to add a feature that automatically expands YouTube embedded videos?

It's already in there but doesn't work quite right so it's disabled. To re-enable it, set extensions.salastread.enableVideoEmbedder to true in about:config.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Lache posted:

The old unread button is back now, but clicking it does nothing but make both the 'Go to newest post' and 'Mark unread' button disappear. Refreshing the page shows the thread as if you hadn't even touched it before, i.e. both buttons are still present. Has this been addressed already?

Your profile must be messed up or you're not running the latest versions, the code for the unread button has been removed.

Krinkle posted:

If my mouse gestures absolutely do not work at all, and I mean the blue thing doesn't even pop up, what did I do wrong? I formatted my laptop today and installed firefox, adblock plus, and SALR in that order and it still doesn't work. It didn't work from before but I assumed that was the competing versions or something. Why doesn't the one from the first post in this thread work?

The mouse gestures default to off. You have to go into the options and enable them. If they still don't work, let us know.

Also, new nightly up. Fixed the null thingy and you can now change/remove the OP/Admin/Mod text.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

erebus25 posted:

Right after doing an :awesome: job of creating a new feature that already exists I thought I'd actually create a feature someone has actually asked for.

Move Read Threads to the Top
I've attached a patch to MyDogIsBeano's feature request here

Like I said in the comments, my first time creating a patch file so let me know if there any problems with it.

Join the SALR community on BS so I can give you commit access.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

erebus25 posted:

Now as for the problem of users without comments/note not appearing in the custom user highlighting thingy, can anyone explain why we currently have
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata` WHERE `color` != 0 OR `background` != 0 OR (notes IS NOT NULL AND notes != '')"
Rather just than
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata`"
There's probably a good reason but at the moment it means people can't tell when they've added people without giving them any colour/note information. Unless someone complains I'll replaced it with my shorter version otherwise I think it will just add to the confusion.

It's because the userdata table also stored mods and admins.
You've got commit access to the SVN now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ehjpic posted:

How hard would it be for someone to make a new feature that showed the newest posts, from all over the forum, not just one thread?

Moderately hard, but we wouldn't do it. We're not allowed to initiate any page requests on our own.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ehjpic posted:

What about something that highlights the forum sections that contain new posts, since the lat time you looked at a thread, within that section.

Sorry if it's hard to understand.:words:

We can only do stuff to what you see, we can't retrieve data from the site unless the user goes to that page.
I know what you're asking for, but we can't do it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

TangyRaptor posted:

How can I clear my starred threads? A lot of them have moved into archives and since I can not access archives, I can not unstar that thread. I tried uninstalling SALR and reinstalling it (I seem to remember unintentionally clearing them before) but that didn't work.

Thanks.

ooo, good question. I don't think there's an interface for that. I'll have to work something out.

Tabachinova posted:

Is there some way to close youtube videos or to be able to open then only once?

That is only partially implemented so that may not be working yet.

erebus25 posted:

Ah seems the teacher got taught. Either way subscriptions seem have been replaced by bookmarks and SALR needs to be brought up to date with this.

Subscriptions == bookmarks
The unsubscribe bug's been around awhile.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

So in other words, use bookmarks instead?

That would be preferable, yes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity what causes the little bug that clears the forums off my SALR menu? It comes back fairly quickly, but I just can't find a common action that precedes it's sudden disappearance. I'm using 1.99.* if it makes a difference.

It's got some sort of silly timer. I really need to get around to redoing it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

No Javascript errors on my home computer, but that's where the images work. It's my work computer where the images are broken. I'll check first thing tomorrow morning and report back.

As for latest version, Firefox is telling my that SALR on my home computer is 1.99.070730. My work version should be the same as I downloaded the latest build and installed it today.

Set extensions.salastread.suppressErrors to false and let us know if you get any error messages.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Nope. None here on my home machine.

Well since your home machine works fine, I wouldn't expect any.
Try it on the one that isn't working.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Disgustipated posted:

That was posted on page 2, this makes the 3rd page since it was posted. We almost made it too. :gbsmith:

I had even edited the first post when that change was made. It's like the second or third sentance in the entire thread and people still can't read. Sigh.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

metachronos posted:

What color do the boards use for highlighting the OP? I want my SALR to use the same color.

A slightly lighter blue then what we use.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

You can also make your own userContent.css file to change how the forums look.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

wormil posted:

Anything new on this?

Probably not. I'll check it out later this week.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Fog posted:

Any ideas?

Yes. There's some old code in there that I'm sure is causing issues. I'm going to spend some time this weekend working on clearing that out and working on speeding it up in general.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Chamberpothead posted:

The threads that get wiped completely from the database and don't get their ignore flags set to true when I ignore them a second (third, fourth...) time are all threads that I've visited, and the only way to keep them ignored (for a while) is to set the ignored flag by hand.

I had been looking at the database before, but this finally confirmed that visiting the thread makes it impossible to ignore. Why they get purged completely, I have no idea.

What's weird is that I can see absolutely ancient threads in the database. I can see all sorts of leftover stuff from when SALR handled more duties. That's why it's so strange to have active threads disappear.

I hope I remembered all the details right, ask me if anything isn't clear. And I'm willing to try out other stuff if it'll help.

I blame tivac since he got excited and cleared out a ton of SQLite code when the forums took over the last read functionality. I'll have to keep an eye out for the ignore thread stuff while I work on speeding up the code.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Harmonica posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to highlight the posts of people quoting you?

I know someone was working on it, don't know if they got it finished. I'll check later.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Tivac posted:

Hey screw you buddy. Maybe if I can ever get some free time I'll start checking into some of this.

Crap! He isn't dead!
I tease.

I've got some free time tonight, I'll try to get a new nightly out with some of these things fixed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

biznatchio posted:

I'm not sure what SALR does now, but starred threads used to be stored in the main thread cache file, which would mean they'd automatically get forgotten after a couple weeks if you haven't seen them on the forum.

If that's still the case, you can delete the line for the thread from salastread.xml in your Firefox profile directory while Firefox is closed to remove the thread from the cache yourself.

They're in the database now. I'm not sure if they expire still or not.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

Testing an SALR bug. This is a reply using Quick Reply.

If it's the subscription bug, it's fixed in the repository. I'm waiting for tonight's forum update to go out before I push a new version of SALR out though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

tasslex posted:

I'm so used to it I automatically do it everywhere now. Is there a Greasemonkey script/Firefox add-on that adds functionality like this to multiple sites?

http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/
Other then a back function, I really don't like mouse gestures.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Seels posted:

The link in the OP doesn't work and I need to update my version, is there another site its hosted?

Looks like BountySource is having problems.
Here's a wip build that you can use for now.

duz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 19, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sister Miyagi posted:

Is there any way to get the old SALR buttons back? The forum buttoNs fill me with impotent rage. ARGH WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU MAKE THEM THE SAME COLOR AS THE FORUMS AND IMPOSSIBLE TO READ THIS IS THE STUPIDEST poo poo EVER :bang:

Once I get a chance to work on the extension.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Forum or LR control panel and what option am I specifically looking for, because I've been looking through both?

The only time I've seen the "red x" is since this latest forum update that broke SALR again. Before that, I just had the thread titles highlighted (with an arrow when there were new posts).

EDIT: Turned colors back on through the forums. So what exactly does this extension do then?

If only this thread had a first post with information or something.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Avd1Thng posted:

Maybe for the next version you can highlight someone that quotes you or quotes someone on your buddylist? Perhaps a word highlighting? I love this highlighting feature so far, very handy! Keep up the great work!

Highlighting someone that quotes you is partially implemented but not working. It's one of the things I want to try and get working soon.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

New Updates!.
Post any issues you have here, after making sure you're using the latest version.
No user controlled thread coloring yet, sorry. This is mainly a buttons & quick quote update.

Known Issues
See the second post

Changelog
Partially rewrote the icon replacement code to support the new format better. Still needs work.
Coloring of quotes started, not quite working.

Bug Fixes
Editing posts should no longer unsubscribe you from threads

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Carnivean posted:

I've updated to the latest version, and gotten my SALR style buttons back, but in the control panel I've found a bug. They show for the threads that have unread posts, until there is a thread without unread posts. After that I get the forum style buttons for the rest of the threads.

Yeah, I was working on that and thought I had fixed it. Guess I'll have to dig deeper.

Aratoeldar posted:

I do not have access to the archived threads. How do I remove a starred thread that has gone there?

For now you'll have to manually edit the database. There's no interface at the moment.

RSPsych0 posted:

Didn't there used to be a way to switch the 'goto newest unread post' and 'cancel read status' buttons? If not, could we get that? I'd like them to go the other way 'round.

Please read the second post before posting, people.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Carnivean posted:

Just to be clear on which version I have, it was the xpi posted in this thread. If you've got a later SVN on bountysource, you might have it licked.

I pushed out an update over the weekend, make sure you're using that version (070915).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

RedKazan posted:

:words:

Go join the project on Bounty Source so I can give you commit access.

• Locked thread