Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Seeing a new update makes me happy that people are still committed to working on this.

I tried browsing without SALR for a couple days, and I couldn't believe how hard it was without the menu! And looking at the options after the new update lead me to find the feature to add URLs to the menu (I probably just didn't notice it before). So I added my own profile - handy because there's no preview on the edit page. Maybe I'll add the SAclopedia too, or AwfulYearbook, who knows?

I still prefer starred threads, mainly because they're displayed in the precious, precious menu. But! And! Threads can be starred via the context menu in the thread list OR anywhere inside the thread! Because anything else would be, you know, :effort: .

Still waiting on the ignored threads to be fixed though, jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

I have no idea what details anybody else knows about the ignored threads problem, but I think I've found a pattern or two. I know almost nothing about coding, so I can only describe what's happening, not how or why.

Today only one out of six threads is still listed as ignored by the extension after not visiting GBS for about three days. Searching for the thread titles in salastread.sqlite turns up nothing.

I mark a new thread ignored from the thread list via the context menu and reload GBS to confirm the thread title in the SALR options. Shows up in salastread.sqlite too.

While I'm doing this, one of the threads I had ignored before gets bumped. So I mark it ignored via the context menu. Shows up as a [null] thread in the options. Good...

...reload GBS and it's visible and gone from the options! But it's now in salastread.sqlite! I go in and change the ignore flag to True by hand. Now it's ignored and shows up with its title in the options!

The threads that get wiped completely from the database and don't get their ignore flags set to true when I ignore them a second (third, fourth...) time are all threads that I've visited, and the only way to keep them ignored (for a while) is to set the ignored flag by hand.

I had been looking at the database before, but this finally confirmed that visiting the thread makes it impossible to ignore. Why they get purged completely, I have no idea.

What's weird is that I can see absolutely ancient threads in the database. I can see all sorts of leftover stuff from when SALR handled more duties. That's why it's so strange to have active threads disappear.

I hope I remembered all the details right, ask me if anything isn't clear. And I'm willing to try out other stuff if it'll help.

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

withak posted:

I've got SALR turned back on and everything seems to be working normally now.
Same here, the extension I have to restart Firefox came in real handy.

And I wanted to say thanks to the SALR devs again too. There's still plenty of advantages to client side stuff. I just started using the 'User Notes' feature a whole lot recently, but I would use SALR even if it only meant having that killer menu.

I've been thinking about putting a bounty on a couple of feature requests, but I really don't know what would be reasonable to offer. For example: giving starred threads an interface like the ignored threads, and/or mirroring the bookmarks so that they're available from a submenu.

I don't want to offer something insultingly small, but at the same time I certainly can't offer what I think your time is actually worth! :xd:

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Oops! Another thing not working: ignored threads! :smithicide:

But for some reason mine are still listed as ignored in the options. Even stranger: the thread list context menu is gone but not the one within the thread.

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Swilo posted:

Ignoring also works on threads you haven't even read before, which is logical because unseeing it should be the same as never seeing it to begin with. They also stay ignored after new replies bump the thread, unlike what Chamberpothead had going with manually editing files.
My experience was that ignoring threads was possible if they were unvisited. Now that it's possible to change that, ignoring works without manually editing the database.

My only guess is that there is some messed up loop or createStatement in SALastReadCom.js (duh, that sure narrows it down, doesn't it).

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

I assume this is a forums thing, but if a thread goes unupdated for so long, the coloring resets. That's a forum-side issue, right? It's mainly a problem with stickied threads.

EDIT: Weirdly, though, the internal thread coloring is still there. Odd.
It looks like it's the same test for 'freshness' that's purging threads from the ignore list. The uncolored, visited threads in my bookmarks list aren't showing up in salastread.sqlite either. The threads that get purged seem to be ones that don't show up in a forum thread list that you've seen recently.

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Am I the only one that uses the menu? When I've turned off SALR for testing, that's the first thing I notice. Do other people use it? Customize it? Or do they just take it for granted?

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Gewgle posted:

any help with this :(

Try using an SQLite database editor on salastread.sqlite in your FF profile folder. There's a table called treaddata and then a variable named star.

Maybe you should back it up first, I guess? Although I haven't been able to break anything editing it even while FF is running. It's actually easier than using the control panel for a lot of things.

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

In the meantime, people really cheesed off by it might try simply locking saforumlist.xml until there's an SALR update, maybe?

e: No, don't. It seems to break too many things.

Chamberpothead fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 25, 2008

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

OK, I checked the OP and like 10 pages back, but I haven't seen this mentioned:

Whenever I submit, preview, or edit a reply the 't' gets removed from 'timg'. I can actually see the 't's getting stripped off before the new window loads.

FF3, SALR version 1.99.080810 on a Mac

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

If you're having trouble with user coloring/notes, the most likely problem is that they're already in SALR's database. Even clicking 'Delete User' doesn't get rid of them. And former mods (as well as IKs) are on that list, too.

Use an SQLite database editor to open salastread.sqlite in your FF profile folder and look at the table named userdata (duh). You might need to cross-check with userid numbers, because the database doesn't update the name.

If the user you want to add isn't in there, then that's a little bigger problem. One that I can't help you with. :D

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Sloppy posted:

For some reason I can't unbookmark threads in my CP since the stars were added. There used to be little check boxes and an "unbookmark checked" button. Am I (probably) missing something obvious? I read back through the past few pages but didn't see it mentioned. I'm using v1.99 with Firefox 3.0.3.
Cycle through the stars 'til it's blank. Kind of awkward for multiple threads, but whatcha gon' do?

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Here's a little problem with image hiding: getting linked to a post in a thread and then backtracking to the OP - there's no way to mark the OP unread without hunting it down in the thread list search. Screwing with setseen and resetseen doesn't seem to work.

e: OK, resetseen works, but it drops you into the forum list, so you have to go back and reload.

Sort of along those same lines - maybe replacing the bookmark links within the thread view with javascript to prevent reloads screwing with unread posts?

(Hmm, more enhancements to the 'last read' aspect of SALR? Hmmmmm..... )

Chamberpothead fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 6, 2008

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

E: Well poo poo, seems like the problem was with a greasemonkey script :o:

Chamberpothead fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 9, 2008

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Biaxident posted:

Not sure if that's possible, but I second that motion.
Actually thirding, because I brought that up a month and a half ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

duz posted:

It should be doable. I'll try to add it when I get a chance.
Sweet, thanks!

The Dark One posted:

Well, the problem is that it was never updated to work for Firefox 3. :v:
The guy still has it available here Anyone want to override the version checking?

Also, someone in this very thread wrote a quick greasemonkey script that can writes notes on the profile page as well as in threads.

E: Well, the greasemonkey script's just a li'l awkward, since it puts the note at the end of the already-crowded-by-SALR box
VVV right down there VVV (um, below the edit message)

Chamberpothead fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 23, 2008

• Locked thread