Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Directed by: Seth Gordon
Starring: Steve Wiebe, Billy Mitchell, Walter Day

This incredibly entertaining documentary tells a riveting story of a modern-day rivalry between two very different men, invoking elements of sabotage, espionage, deceit and all-consuming obsession. The characters are thoroughly drawn and their relationships masterfully depicted. If you don't find yourself caught up in their drama while watching this movie, you're made of stone.

So what if it's about a battle over the title of World Champion of Donkey Kong?

Really, this is great cinema. You couldn't write a fictionalized version of the story that would be as good. Here's a taste: Billy Mitchell is the undisputed king of video games. He walks into an arcade full of geeks, and they worship him, and he loves it, eats it up, takes it home and jacks off to it. Twenty-five years ago, he gets invited to a Life magazine photo shoot of the nation's best video game players as the champion of Pac-Man. While he's there, he challenges the guy claiming to be the world's best at Donkey Kong, totally clobbers him, and sets a record score that stands unchallenged for the next two and a half decades while Mitchell becomes a hot sauce tycoon in Florida.

Until Steve Wiebe, an unemployed engineer in Washington state whose entire adult life has been a series of disappointments and second-bests, reads about Mitchell's record and decides, "I can beat that."

I won't spoil any more. Just see the movie, it's only 80 minutes and it's awesome.

RATING: 5

PROS: Very entertaining and easy to get caught up in
CONS: Might be a hard sell to someone who refuses to care about anything related to video games, but if you're at all open-minded you should be fine

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypernova
Apr 12, 2005
This movie was excellent. All the nerdiness, all the drama, all of the characters just worked perfectly. Definitely a 5/5.

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

From a hooker's heart I stab at thee...
My step mother doesn't like many movies. However, everytime she visits me in Seattle, I end up picking a movie that she absolutely loves. She loved Napoleon Dynamite and last year, Borat. I cant fail!

King of Kong is brilliant, its the ultimate nerd fest, with lots of drama! The tape of Steve Wiebe beating the high score was loving hilarious! Seriously guys, watch this movie, its great!

PS
Billy Mitchell sucks.

EDIT: 5/5

Kinison Khan fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 30, 2007

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

^^^^You might want to spoiler part of your post there.

I really want to see this. Is this currently out in first run release?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trinihax-
Jul 18, 2003
horsefetish
Awesome documentary. Had me laughing the whole time.

That wife is such a bitch!

5/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Steve Wiebe is a surprisingly good everyman hero for this flick. His descent into this obsessive video game world works as a microcosm of society in general--with the mulleted, delusional Billy Mitchell playing the cowardly foil. His entire reputation is dervied by a Donkey Kong score, and he makes every attempt to cut Wiebe off at the legs in his attempt to break said record. But in spite of everything, Wiebe's good nature eventually wins the approval of Walter Day and the dweebs at Twin Galaxies--and their sad little insular world remains in tact.

Great movie.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
What an amazing movie. The characters are so cliche and perfect it's hard to imagine this is real. I mean even Billy with his haircut and faux bravado, Lord of the Geeks, just perfect. My favorite parts where when they cut to the geeks ogling over something and then cut to Steve, just playing away, doing his thing.

5/5. As mentioned above you couldn't write fiction this good.

Also what the gently caress is Guiness doing? Taking scores of submitted tapes?

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
This is really worth watching. I totally agree with the above poster who said that Steve is an everyman hero. It was very easy to relate to the guy and I was sucked into his emotional ups and downs which was great. I also watched "Frag" which is a documentary which featured Billy Mitchell and he came off as a smug bastard in that as well.

I too vote 5/5 due to the subject matter the amazingly entertaining way it was dealt with. Great doc.

Nimrod's Son fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 5, 2008

Rocket Sauce
Sep 14, 2005
Very well made film. Some segments were very Errol Morris. Ive heard a lot about this film not being edited fairly to each side of the story, but despite that, its extremely entertaining.

4.5/5 Because it gets a little repetitive and the editing is a little cheesy at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I loved this movie. It was very cute and sweet and I loved that old singer guy and though he was a bit cheesy he could drop some wisdom.

Everything that I could say has been said, but I would encourage everyone to watch the extras on the DVD. It's all very entertaining and has a bit of follow-up.

5/5