Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Rhyno posted:

The allure of cheap as gently caress parts brings out the best of us!

Seriously, this place has the best rates so people got loving ravenous over it. A nearly clean tan interior for $100, seats included? Any body panel for $30? I can understand going nutty and trying to grab the parts first but violence is pretty crazy.

But for the record, it's not the only time someone tried to knock a car over. At Pull-A-Part in Indianapolis a guy did push a car over onto another guy who had beat him to car he wanted parts from on Half-Off day. I guess that's the go-to reaction for junk yarders in Indiana.

Holy poo poo. I happened across a LT1 (not that common anymore) in a firebird formula with a complete, intercooled procharger kit for the taking in my local pick and pull yard. I was only 5 or 10 minutes late or it would have been on my camaro that afternoon, but another guy was already taking it off. I said "Oh drat, congrats dude" and helped him remove it. loving MURDER is an option? I had morals, but boost is boost. And this is FLORIDA, supposedly the worst state.

Do you know why miatas dont show up at wrecking yards? The country is dotted with specialty miata wreckers who buy them at auction no matter what and stockpile the parts to sell online. They could just google the nearest one and get anything they want.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You'll kill at least 4 other goons.

Collateral damage :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Holy poo poo. I happened across a LT1 (not that common anymore) in a firebird formula with a complete, intercooled procharger kit for the taking in my local pick and pull yard. I was only 5 or 10 minutes late or it would have been on my camaro that afternoon, but another guy was already taking it off. I said "Oh drat, congrats dude" and helped him remove it. loving MURDER is an option? I had morals, but boost is boost. And this is FLORIDA, supposedly the worst state.

Do you know why miatas dont show up at wrecking yards? The country is dotted with specialty miata wreckers who buy them at auction no matter what and stockpile the parts to sell online. They could just google the nearest one and get anything they want.

It's not just Indiana. We're hit a level of gun toting insanity where murder is among the first option that runs through some people's heads when angered. Being that this happened here I am shocked that nobody pulled a gun as that's the go-to reaction of late.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Well of course i've considered both murder, mass murder and cannibalism in the last 24 hours. But hurting a fellow car guy? Thats a step too far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Well of course i've considered both murder, mass murder and cannibalism in the last 24 hours. But hurting a fellow car guy? Thats a step too far.

Well in some circles it's perfectly acceptable. Like say you drive a BRO-TRUCK. It's totally cool to run a faggy Honda driver off the road right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good thing I don't live in Indiana, I'd get run off the road in my faggy Miata or my faggy scooter by some bro trucker toting a gun.

At least Florida is a faggy friendly state :unsmith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Good thing I don't live in Indiana, I'd get run off the road in my faggy Miata or my faggy scooter by some bro trucker toting a gun.

At least Florida is a faggy friendly state :unsmith:

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard "nice car human being!" in the last 18 months.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I heard it from 2 guys in an old minivan. In their defense i was listening to a podcast by a gay filmmaker at the time who likes to talk about horrible poo poo. I was too stunned to respond with my usual middle finger. By and large i'd say florida is pretty miata friendly (other than our arrow-straight roads) On my first trip to Deals Gap, a guy kept blasting diesel smoke on me while moving for like a solid minute on and off. I was too worried that me and :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: would be killed to reply that time, as well.

edit: Since you brought up bro trucks, How can i drive a lifted truck without it being a bro truck? I honestly want a modestly lifted one on off-road tires but im so sad and insecure i care what other people think. Hillary bumper sticker right above the confederate flag sticker?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 24, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Christ, reading all that makes me glad I drive my fagmobile in a city with an openly gay mayor (Houston). I rarely get poo poo for driving one here. Out in the sticks I sometimes get tailgated by brotrucks, but I think they tailgate everyone, so I don't take it personal. Either that or I lose them around the closest corner :getin:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rhyno posted:

At Pull-A-Part in Indianapolis

Indy? We should have a play date!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Boo http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=583956

E: double boo
Pm'd a Mazda employee and he came back with a 8/17 build date

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 24, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

edit: Since you brought up bro trucks, How can i drive a lifted truck without it being a bro truck? I honestly want a modestly lifted one on off-road tires but im so sad and insecure i care what other people think. Hillary bumper sticker right above the confederate flag sticker?

According to Kastein and others in the awful car stuff thread, you put much bigger tires on it and only a very tiny amount of lift, since the main thing you want is ground clearance, and a suspension lift does not give you that (since your axles don't get any further from the ground with a suspension lift). The only way to get more clearance is by having bigger tires to raise your axles higher, and by having good suspension articulation, a lift is pretty useless for offroading.

If you're just doing it for looks, then yeah, you are probably insecure about your penis.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The bro truck lifters and stance lowering idiots should get together and measure their micro penises, there's got to be a world record in there somewhere.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
What would you guys price a 93 Limited Edition with a little under 20k miles pretty much perfect? The LE is the black with red leather, BBS, aluminum accents, bilsteins. Has hardtop. Outside has one small door ding and a little paint wear here and there but cleaned up looks fantastic. All original except tires, fluids, and plug wires. The knocks on it as I see it the original owner had it undercoated and a front fender was replaced early in its life so the part doesn't have the VIN sticker on it. It's a great car but I've got a kid now and my spare time is now mostly family time so a 2 seater is a waste. I take it out every now and then but it's currently sitting around more than moving.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's hard to say, I have no clue what a 93 LE is worth these days. I don't like to recommend posting in Mnet, but it's probably your best bet to post in the pricing thread there because all the LE/M edition nerds can give you a better idea of what it's worth than we can.

I would also post it for sale there as well, you want to market to the Miata nerds and that's where they all reside.

Obviously don't even bother looking at KBB/NADA. Get the most you can out of it.

[e] My Miata-educated guess would be at that mileage with an HT you should be in the 10k range.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 24, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think you should at least be able to get 7k semi quickly, but it's difficult to price things that some people wouldn't mind blowing a poo poo load of cash on.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BloodBag posted:

Christ, reading all that makes me glad I drive my fagmobile in a city with an openly gay mayor (Houston). I rarely get poo poo for driving one here. Out in the sticks I sometimes get tailgated by brotrucks, but I think they tailgate everyone, so I don't take it personal. Either that or I lose them around the closest corner :getin:

I drive a light blue S2000 with purple wheels and I never have anyone yell poo poo at me. Mass is pretty tolerant though

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

leica posted:

That's hard to say, I have no clue what a 93 LE is worth these days. I don't like to recommend posting in Mnet, but it's probably your best bet to post in the pricing thread there because all the LE/M edition nerds can give you a better idea of what it's worth than we can.

I would also post it for sale there as well, you want to market to the Miata nerds and that's where they all reside.

Obviously don't even bother looking at KBB/NADA. Get the most you can out of it.

[e] My Miata-educated guess would be at that mileage with an HT you should be in the 10k range.
OK thanks. I've got to talk to a family member who might want it but will go there when I'm ready.

Recently a very similar 93le on ebay without the hardtop got a single 7k bid without hitting the reserve so that puts a fast-sell market bottom around 8500. My gut was 10k also but it might sit a while at that price and 9ish might be more realistic for a sale.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

According to Kastein and others in the awful car stuff thread, you put much bigger tires on it and only a very tiny amount of lift, since the main thing you want is ground clearance, and a suspension lift does not give you that (since your axles don't get any further from the ground with a suspension lift). The only way to get more clearance is by having bigger tires to raise your axles higher, and by having good suspension articulation, a lift is pretty useless for offroading.

Yea i figured a lift was just to give clearance between the tire and the fender, not the underbody and the ground.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I really hope I fit in a new club, I'm going to go try them out this weekend. I was devastated when the na and nb I looked at some weeks ago were actively trying to cut off circulation to my legs.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Blipshift has the perfect miata shirt today.

Except it should be an NB.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

leica posted:

The bro truck lifters and stance lowering idiots should get together and measure their micro penises, there's got to be a world record in there somewhere.

Only if free salt life and shocker stickers are provided.

E: my NC miata has to qualify as a lifted stanced car for how loving huge the wheel gap is on the front wheels. loving moonbuggy.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
H&R Sport springs and Koni adjustables will fix that right up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GEMorris posted:

H&R Sport springs and Koni adjustables will fix that right up.

I was gonna do progress for a mild drop on the factory struts. I did H&R sports on my mini and it was horrible.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I love to see a miata with a big wheel gap. Modifying them is almost boring at this point.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I love to see a miata with a big wheel gap. Modifying them is almost boring at this point.

Now what?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BloodBag posted:

Now what?

Nothin'. People always drop all the suspension stroke out of their cars, which means they have to go up in spring rate and compression dampening to prevent bottoming out. The NB and NC Miata (and probably the NA too, but I haven't driven any) have always have a relatively long stroke. Sure, the car may roll a bit in the corners, and the front dips a bit under heavy braking, but that's part of what makes the ride and predictability (relatively) good.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovlp0N7ljFE&t=82s

unf... (except with that NC)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You don't need to be riding on the ground to get rid of wheel gap

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the dude who tried to push the car over onto the other dude has been charged with attempted manslaughter.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

BloodBag posted:

I was gonna do progress for a mild drop on the factory struts. I did H&R sports on my mini and it was horrible.

I've never ridden in any modified mini that didn't ride like a rigid boneshaking pile. However, having the H&Rs plus adjustable konis on my NC gets me the ride height I want and it doesn't feel like I'm being jostled at all. YMMV

Rhyno posted:

So the dude who tried to push the car over onto the other dude has been charged with attempted manslaughter.

Seems like an accurate charge that could possibly stick given the supposed quantity of witnesses.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
reckless endangerment or assault, but I am pretty sure manslaughter is killing someone without planning to or meaning to. I'm not sure you can attempt to manslaughter someone

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Does intentionally pushing a car in the direction of someone in the middle of a disagreement not check all the "attempted murder" boxes? Otherwise i could say "Yes, i caught my wife cheating, and yes i shot a gun at her, but i didnt know if it would hit her or not!"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BloodBag posted:

Only if free salt life and shocker stickers are provided.

My buddy had stickers made in "salt life" font saying "jerk life" instead, but we don't have trucks to put them on :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maksimus54 posted:

reckless endangerment or assault, but I am pretty sure manslaughter is killing someone without planning to or meaning to. I'm not sure you can attempt to manslaughter someone

I'm just repeating what I've been told.

Edit: I replied to the conversation "so my friends say that 'attempted manslaughter' isn't a thing" and the story changed to "well he SHOULD be charged!" and other nonsense. Half the guys involved were kicked from he group and the original thread is deleted.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 25, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I left the top down overnight and of course it had to rain for the first time in weeks. Hello cupholders full of water and vacuuming!

Ok so I vacuumed and took out the seats (this causes the airbag light, right??). Everything seems to be ok except there's still some water in the seat mounts and the foam on the bottom of the seats is a bit moist still. Any ideas how to dry them out?

Edit 2: fuuuck it started raining like a motherfucker while the car was open and seatless outside :D I was keeping an eye on the weather so was running out the moment the first drops landed but drat. Also I took off the center console to dry out so of course I couldn't even close the windows right away :negative:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 25, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I thought "Salt life" meant "I use this big truck to tow a boat". That should be the opposite of a bro truck.

Rhyno posted:

I'm just repeating what I've been told.

Edit: I replied to the conversation "so my friends say that 'attempted manslaughter' isn't a thing" and the story changed to "well he SHOULD be charged!" and other nonsense. Half the guys involved were kicked from he group and the original thread is deleted.

"Attempted manslaughter" is like someone saying "I was electrocuted". You can only reply with "No, you were not".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok so I vacuumed and took out the seats (this causes the airbag light, right??). Everything seems to be ok except there's still some water in the seat mounts and the foam on the bottom of the seats is a bit moist still. Any ideas how to dry them out?

Wet vac the poo poo out of everything then let it all sit out in the sun until it's dry.

You need to pay attention to local forecasts and radar, it's a requirement when owning a convertible.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

leica posted:

Wet vac the poo poo out of everything then let it all sit out in the sun until it's dry.

You need to pay attention to local forecasts and radar, it's a requirement when owning a convertible.

If I haven't looked at the forecast and I'm going to be inside longer than 30 minutes, the top goes up. I have yet to be rained on when parked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Throw some of those silica packs in there too help absorb moisture too, that helped a bit when my wife's car got rained on. Hopefully you can find some big packs, not the little ones that come with new shoes.