Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm thinking about getting a Miata (or MX-5 as they are called over here) as a daily driver. I spend about 1,5 to 2 hours per day in the car so I figured I might as well enjoy it.
I'm thinking NB since NA in good condition are getting pretty expensive. I'm keeping my eyes open for both though.

Any general tips on what to look for when checking one out? Common problems and fixes?
Models/Versions to avoid/buy at any cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So whats smarter/more fun?

NA, 90HP, 100000km on the clock, good condition

Or

NB 110HP, 160000km on the clock, mediocre condition?

Cost about the same.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I will obviously. Have to get rid of my loving piece of trash Peugeot first though.
I guess the question is more about the making sense part. The fun part have to see myself you're right.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If it's an NB2 ('02+) I'd take the NB no question. Also depends if the NA is a 1.8 or 1.6. Pass on it if it's a 1.6.

Is the 1.6 to gutless? Its not a heavy car but i fear that 90HP is not really enough.
On the plus side, the NA is bright red and comes with a hardtop...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ionn posted:

Older 1.6 NAs have 115-ish HP, which is somewhat decent. When the 1.8 came out, some markets got a nerfed ~90 hp 1.6. It is perfectly fine for just cruising around in summer with the top down, but in my opinion not enough for a fun driving experience.

Yeah its definitely the nerfed 1.6. Might have to skip that one then.
Im looking at a nice NB right now that also comes with a hardtop and seems to be in good condition. Cheap as gently caress too...might be because its gold colored with beige leather seats...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Just bought me a Miata. 1998, 1.8 140 HP about 90k on the clock. No rust, good roof, sadly they hosed around with the front a bit (took the badge off, relocated the license plate) but nothing to bad or irreversible.
After mainly lugging around family cars i gotta say: drat this thing is fun to drive!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got a good guide for repairing a broken power window on an NB? The motor is still working but I guess it uses steel wires and one broke?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It's like -10C here and my NB just makes a lot more weird sounds when cornering. Nothing bad just the Body cracks and creaks a bit :D.

It's also amazing how many smiles and thumbs up you get driving with the roof down in Sub-Zero weather.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So i was doing the brakes on my NB and the piston in rear left caliper won't retract. I can turn the little screw to push it further out and then retract it a bit so the piston is moving but it just stops retracting at one point and the screw seems to turn freely. Is there a way to fix this without buying a new caliper?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ionn posted:

Might be you have the same thing I had going on an old Mazda 323 BG (which has the same rear caliper). I could get it moving by just pushing on the piston while turning the little screw, using a pair of enormous adjustable pliers. I think there was some corroded spot on the piston that wouldn't move past the seal unless it got some encouragement. If that is the case here, that in itself might be reason to rebuild/replace that caliper soon. Even if you can get the new pads in now, it might lead to a stuck caliper or something later on when it wears down so the piston and seal meet at that spot again.

Thanks for the tip. I extended the piston out as far as possible and there was a nice ring of rust around it. I sanded it down a bit and lubed it up and it was able to get it to retract again. Not a permanent solution but it'll do till i have the time/money for a more permanent fix.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It sucks that the MX-5 is not available in more colors. The only colors you can get is red and "slightly blue. The rest is variations of white, grey and black. Not saying that it doesn't look great in white grey or black but its a fun car, give me some fun colors Mazda!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone now what this plug in the front right of the engine compartment is for?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Bless you!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
One of the cables of my electric windows broke. I can buy replacements readymade but only for the NA. I have a NB.
Anyone know if the cables are the same?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Elysium posted:

My only issue with the NC is the way the hood line looks, wish they just would have connected it to the headlights like every other Miata.

Can't unsee it now.

On my drive to work did not see a single car where the hoodline does not touch the headlights. Some newer BMW have some pretty weird hood lines just so they can do it.
The only car that stood out was a NC. It looks weird...

Also: I like how at least around here MX-5 drivers greet each other. Its a nice acknowledgment of "Hey you also have a cool car. Good for you!"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
When i did my brakes the left wheel wouldn't react to the handbrake at all. The right wheel was fine.
It brakes normal though so i haven't really checked up on it since then.
The pistons on mine were pretty rusty so maybe some fuckery like that is happening with your brakes.
Maybe a broken seal or dust boot so its slightly rusty and the handbrake handle doesn't generate enough pressure to get it to move while pressing the pedal works.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got a picture of how the spare is secured on an NB? Or Information what kind of bolt is used? Mine is not secured at all. Theres just a round metal plate screwed into the bottom of the trunk with a short bolt and the spare is just lying on top of it. Im guessing this should hold down the spare but the bolt is way to short for that. Every other longer bolt i got lying around has a different thread than the short one though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Extend the piston again and pull back the gasket around it to check for rust. Tolerances are pretty tight so a ring of rust around the piston can block it from going back in properly and gently caress up the screw.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So a weird thing about my NB. If the engine is cold and i brake the idle rpm go down but only when the car is moving. The moment i stop it goes back up even if i don't vary the pressure on the brake pedal. Is that supposed to happen or a sign of something bad coming?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, I'm finally one of those guys who use the kitchen for car stuff while the wife looks at me like I'm an idiot.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just put on my winter wheels:

gently caress steelies!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So my MX-5 ('99, 1.9l, ~150000km)started making a noise.
When the clutch is pressed theres a not very nice sounding slight grinding sound. It goes away while driving or when i release the clutch when the car is not in gear. What do you guys think? Throw out bearing?
Should i replace the whole clutch while i'm at it? Makes sense since everythings apart anyway right?
Is this a "oh god stop driving right now!" situation?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Blaise posted:

It'll get worse and worse.

Hard to tell via internet, but either TO bearing or pilot bearing. Buy a clutch kit and flywheel and get to it. Just cut the ear off the transmission bellhousing to make it way easier to reinstall. I can do it in 2.5 hours now.

I ordered a kit. Now i only need to find someone with a lift to do this. I really don't want to lie in the mud in my driveway crammed under my car in the freezing cold.
Could you elaborate on the ear cutting part? I don't really wan't to start cutting parts of the transmission without exactly knowing what im supposed to do :D

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'd probably able to to it in my driveway but you know...i'd prefer not to. Especially doing it the first time.
I'm a bit scared to do it since i never worked on a gearbox or clutch.
I did a lot of work on cars in the last year for the first time though so im used to the frustration and "dawn till dusk" work that was supposed to be done in two hours.
I've been reading a lot of guides and watching how-to videos while waiting for my parts so i'm going in as well prepared as i can.
I'll looking into ear amputation. But i just did the exhaust so the bolts are still relatively rust free.

It will be fine! Everything will be fine! My MX-5 will live again!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Goddammit I put in a new head unit and now the antenna always extends when I turn on the car. The old head unit only extended the antenna when I actually switched to the radio. Pioneer :argh:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So i'm trying to figure out why my trunk is wet. And while my four year old daughter was very helpful (at least she kept insisting that i would be totally lost without her while she climbed around the car) im still not entirely sure. It looks like there are some traces of water right under the lock but i can't figure out how the water gets there. My best guess so far ist that it somehow creeps through the trunk seal. But its dry on top so it must creep underneath the seal. Is that a thing that happens? The constant dampness of the trunk is starting to piss me off.
Oh yeah, its a '99 NB.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

BloodBag posted:

On my 95, it turns out the DAPO broke the antenna drain line. If your car has a retracting antenna, make sure the little black tube off the bottom is seated in the hole in the floor of the trunk. Mine was busted off at the floor so it completely flooded the trunk.

I tried to take a picture of the spot. I checked the rear lights and the antenna drain. Everything is bone dry and doesn't look like it ever got wet. I thought the brake light in the trunk lid could be the problem but it looks dry as well.

this seems to be the only spot with traces of water and the carpet is wet around that spot as well. Somehow water ist getting in there.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
What parts did you order and what did it cost you? Seems like a good addition to my car if its not to expensive to do.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Bud posted:

I just pulled the unit from Nocheez's 99 - came out intact and I was going to list it for $125. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I will get some pics over.

I never engaged it, Nocheez said it worked but maybe had a quirk...he can comment more hopefully.

The car in its current state - still lots to do but some little person is excited.

Thanks for the offer but im in germany and shipping would probably be ridiculous.
Original cruise control for the MX-5 is pretty rare over here though. I had a look around and couldn't find anything except for third party solutions.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm driving this dirty little bastard:

And I need an expert opinion.
I'll need a new softtop in the foreseeable future. Can I pull of a beige one even though I only got the regular black fabric interior? Every car I've seen with a beige roof also had the matching interior so I'm not certain if it would look good.
Opinions?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah ok, i guess it is kinda cold.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I was lucky. My PO replaced the radio but he used a proper adapter so the cabling is in good shape. The speakers he swapped in are kinda shoddily installed but nothing to bad. They sound pretty good too.
I had to rip out the additional power lock system he installed though, because he couldn't figure out that it already had power locks and the micro switch in the driver side door had broken so they didn't work...
Also had to remove that CAI because that poo poo isn't legal here. He still had the original intake though with all fasteners still attached so it was no big deal.
So all in all a pretty alright PO.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still thinking of reversing to stock springs instead of the lowered ones the PO installed. I like the look and gotten used to the low ground clearance but I don't know enough about suspension to know if the stuff he put in there is actually any decent.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress you for making at least one person google that!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone tried one of the half dozen ways to get a working oil pressure gauge in an NB?
I read about replacing the gauge with a VDO one but you need to 3d print an adapter for that and I'm kinda poo poo with CAD software.
I might just try to rewire the original gauge but I'm pretty sure I'll just break the wire during one of the hundreds of windings you need to do.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I think i'll try the "clean the dampening grease with an ultrasonic cleaner" approach combined with replacing a 100 Ohm resistor with an 180 Ohm resistor to give it a bit more linearity. I'm not to concerned with knowing the exact pressure, i just don't like having a gauge that does gently caress all.
I'll also have a go at the coolant temperature gauge. I'll put in a couple more resistors to get rid of the flat spot between 75-110 C

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just replaced the oil pressure switch with a proper VDO Sender. That thing is a loving bitch to get to. Scratched my arm up good because it's so tight. I also did not have a 24mm deep socket so I just bend the contact on the switch to make a regular socket fit. It's not like I'll ever use that thing again.
The sender I used (VDO 360-081-030-065k) die not even need any adapters. The thread and plug fit perfectly. Really nice plug an play.

I could not get rid of the gauge dampening grease though. I tried soaking it in isopropyl for 24h and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for an hour with no change.
Guess I'll have to figure out how to replace it with a VDO gauge.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I've put some sealant on the threads and i'm watching the thing like a hawk. I'm looking like an idiot sticking my phone down my engine bay every day to check for leaks. So far everything looks ok.
If its not staying dry ill try again with some teflon tape.

I've read about the NA gauge as well. But i think its more expensive than a simple aftermarket one by now. In the end alle the gauges look pretty much the same after you get rid of the casing. You just have to figure out how to attach it somewhat safely to the gauge cluster and where to plug it in. How hard can it be!

Edit: Also, i think this marks the first time i've replaced a fully functioning part on a car just to improve it. So far i've always just fixed things because inspections were coming up. Feels good man!

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 26, 2018

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So the oil pressure gauge I ordered on eBay isn't coming cause the seller noticed that he doesn't actually has it anymore...
So I said gently caress it and rewound the coils on the original gauge. Took me the better part of my Friday evening (I'm just that kind of wild guy who spends his Friday evenings rewinding coils!)
Had a scary moment halfway through when the wire tore and I had to splice it together again but all in all it worked fine.
And surprisingly it actually worked! I know have a fully working, undampened OPG.
Holy poo poo though...that was a lot of wire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm itching to put my summer wheels on the car but everytime i convince myself its time loving winter comes back. I think this weekend might be it though!
They are also ginormous 215/40R16 Wheels that i really need to sell and replace with something more sensible...