Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

I can't hate on the Streetlight version of Keasbey Nights too hard. Wasn't it just re-recorded to try and gently caress over Victory somehow? Can't say too much wrong about it if trying to screw over Victory was the reason for doing it.

according to that text-to-speech thing at the end of 1234, victory wanted to re-release the original keasbey with bonus material (if i had to guess, demos and live footy from that era), which would have been better than a group of adults proving they're better at their instruments than they were ten years prior

edit: i grabbed my catch 22 keasbey nights cd and tomas is credited as sole songwriter for everything on the record. i BET he re-recorded keasbey so the other members of catch who weren't in streetlight at the time wouldn't get royalties from the re-release. joke's on him because victory wasn't gonna pay either way!!

if i sound like im being excessively hard on streetlight manifesto, let me offer that everything goes numb still rules and i've always found it hilarious that jeff rosenstock would offer hundred word explanations all of his songs in liner notes despite being the most literal, unpoetic and autobiographical songwriter in punk rock

yea dude we know that's what the song is about your lyrics are a livejournal set to music

Misc fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i haven't played my copy of vacation of years, but the kudrow / hard girls split gets regular rotation on my turntable

where's the huge resale bubble on THAT

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

all jeffs, ranked

bridges
jazzy
goldblum
gerstmann
rosenstock
foxworthy
dahmer
sessions

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Post- is #1 on billboards heatseekers chart

the three cheers liner notes were right, all asob had to do was quit playing ska and clean up their language, then they would become huge

Misc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 10, 2018

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/950819119787540480

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

losing streak kicks rear end, but i haven't listened to less than jake in so long if i heard any track from hello rockview right now i'd probably get the same level of nostalgia rush either way

ska seems like it's been in a rough spot the last couple years, huh? would love to hear some new, young bands working with the sound.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Did they ever manage to get out of this town

that's reserved for the last ltj album, when things actually get way too hosed up and they finally leave that town

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who usually plays keyboards for RBF? I've noticed lots of their songs have these organ parts but they don't have any member who only plays keyboards; do any of them do it or do they usually get studio musicians in?

Scott played keys on all the classics. Discogs says Matt (Appleton) plays them on the rest after Scott left.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

huh. so few left in the original lineup at this point--when they got back together in 08 it was p much everyone minus jerry, which was a disappointment given his contributions to the band, but it was still a proper "The Specials" reunion lineup without him. now you wouldn't be able to put together fun boy three with who's left.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why (and when) did Roddy Radiation leave? Always heard it was Dammers he had a problem with, not the other guys.

before brad died, supposedly to concentrate on his solo stuff

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i like it a lot when ska bands expand their sound and work with other genres (Cheer Up is RBF's best album and you could tell the Aquabats wanted to be a new wave band all along but had to lose a bunch of members/close friends to get there), but Big D really lost the plot with Strictly Rude and never recovered.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Feels like a lot of bands dropped off the face of the earth five or so years ago. Big D, Mustard Plug, Catch 22, etc.

it's hard to keep a band together in your forties when you have like eight members who probably have families and day jobs.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think my favourite American ska album is Dub 56 by the Toasters. It was the first one I heard.

everyone's favorite is God Bless Satan, that is the correct answer

Ferrule posted:

I'll keep digging up more. I have 90's punk, too.

going off this, i've been slowly ridding myself of my record collection and still have a couple ska records i could part with at "friend prices" to the people who actually post in this thread and promise to play them. ska thread outsiders will get low preference and pay market price:

Suicide Machines - War Profiteering Is Killing Us All / A Match And Some Gasoline [double LP] Discogs Link
These two albums were never originally issued on vinyl, and were compiled into this gatefold double LP in 2008. Color vinyl. I've played it a few times but it should still play like new.

I also own the entire BTMI discography in first pressings, but I'm keeping those except for THESE TWO (Fateo McMurrays not allowed):

Bomb the Music Industry - Scrambles [blue vinyl] Discogs Link
Run of 300. Jeff gave me this one (along with a big sweaty hug) at the Mad Hatter in Covington, KY after I helped carry their touring trumpet player to the bathroom to barf, and offered to throw down on their gas and food. Keep in mind this was after everyone in the band drank themselves to tears. And after the sound man cut them off and turned the lights out before they were done. And after they learned there was no Skyline or Gold Star Chili open late. So yeah, I'm very sentimental over it, but it has not been played in years. And records are made to be played. The packaging on this one is die cut and very flimsy (but in great condition) and I'm going to have to be creative to get it to you safely.

Vacation [hot pink/orange haze vinyl] Discogs Link
YEAH BOY YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS. Only 250 pressed, this is the rarest version. Hidden track after the runout on the B-side. Played a few times but I DON'T ACTUALLY LIKE THIS ALBUM OH NO. Would trade for non reissue 2tone records, UK releases preferred. Or make an offer. I'm not trying to rip you off, I will just wind up lowballing myself because I'm not very entrepreneurial (read: mean).

pm me and I'll take photos

Misc fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 27, 2018

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

:monocle:

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

We Are the Union is playing shows again and now I'm just looking up bands I used to see at local shows and missing fatter than Albert

Fatter than Albert was real good. They had a great mix of jazz influence with hardcore, almost-emo release to their songs. They never sounded like just another, by the numbers third wave group, especially on that second album.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/trumpet-player-stuck-traffic-turns-lovely-ska-band-okay-punk-band/

quote:

Other witnesses noted that small changes, such as the guitarist turning up his amplifier to compensate for the missing horn, and the drummer loosening the tuning on his snare drum, played a major factor. When singer Benny Henderson removed his “stupid fedora and dorky suspenders,” reports confirm the band’s transformation was complete.
i wish there was a :911: with a checkerboard and a crying trumpet

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

because he actually sucks and is an rear end

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

btmi played asob songs on the scrambles tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlbD6ZxhoR0

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

oh yeah that's the good stuff

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

three operation ivy covers

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

if you're looking for a band to record a new album after 15 years of nothing just to tread water then the new suicide machines album might just be for you!

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

he's right

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

bands signed to fueled by ramen shocked when first advance payment of maruchan packets are delivered

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

they might be giants will not stand for this encroachment

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

love it! new bruce lee band coming up next month, too

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/asianmanrecords/status/1417218168414621698

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

the only book that needs to be written is to finally get to the bottom of why ed and scott quit suburban rhythm

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

streetlight albums get exponentially longer to release, with more intricate composition and production, and the album they wrote and recorded as teenagers is still miles ahead. hell, the original catch demo cassette is even better

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

original guitarist kendall jones was probably the most important songwriter in the group who left the band after give a monkey a brain, which is probably their last good album

their drummer also left after that album and he'd been really contributing to the songwriting at the time well. he's back in the band currently, though.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

somewhere in the between has too many notes

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Dance Craze finally got a blu ray release a couple months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEACP4rOwj8

it's only region 2, so unless you have a region free player in the states... well, it's out there. on very legitimate websites

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

it's very good, yes

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

the cat empire - the chariot

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

the short answer to what happened to ska in the 90s: the music industry did what they did to everything in those days, exploited it for quick cash.

by the time you likely found out about third wave ska through mass media, the genre had been developing for the better part of a decade in a few different places. third wave ska was really the culmination of two major scenes which came up independently of each other. most bands came from either new york city or orange county, ca (i know about the other smaller scenes, but they are not historically significant except maybe san fran).

these scenes were not really compatible. new york was a very hip scene filled with college grads, jazzbos and traditionalists. cali had extremely young punk kids (TONS of lineups with high schoolers) with lots of energy and simple, catchy tunes.

how did it blow up? no doubt's tragic kingdom was a surprise success for interscope in the same way nirvana had been for DGC and there was a rush from the labels to find another hit record from this ska thing. new york did not have an accessible sound, and no doubt already had very strong roots in the orange county scene.

so labels signed just about anything in socal with two arms and a trombone in a very short period of time. reel big fish was once on the same label as britney spears. by 1996-97, the market was flooded with orange county ska. completely inescapable.

for most people who don't know poo poo about the jamaican diaspora or don't care who the specials are, it was a passing fad with way too much exposure. it was easy to dance to (white people LOVE the two step) and the orange county bands being signed had a pop-punk sound that provided crossover appeal with kids into that. it just got old quick. there were dozens of identical bands run by kids who hadn't developed enough taste to not name their band mustard plug.

also, no doubt were huge because by the time they made tragic kingdom, they aspired to be a platinum selling pop group. that album has ska, sure, but it also had some very slick radio singles completely removed from that sound and scene, and they had a superstar diva in gwen stefani. it was a fundamental error on the part of the industry to think they could sign a ska band and get another "just a girl." closest they got was with sublime, i guess.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

cool scene lifehack: because new york never got their day in the spotlight, saying you like the slackers and mephiskalpheles is the easiest way to telegraph to others you are a cool person who likes good ska and not bad ska.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

guppy posted:

Dicky Barrett is now playing a show to raise money for RFK Jr.'s presidential campaign. I have rarely been so disappointed in a former hero of mine.

i hope we find out one day this was the early stages of some undiagnosed dementia

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank you for the overview. It kinda reminds me of what happened to the riot grrl movement, though I guess that was more a case of bands being lumped together and hyperexploited by the media, rather than by labels signing too many bands.

yea you got it. riot grrl was a collection of bands tied by a (tenuous) ethos rather than any specific sound. third wave ska bands had no ethos in common, partly because the geography between the two major scenes couldn't be any further away. maybe if the toasters had a major public beef with the aquabats that ended in a drive-by shooting, the story would be clearer. worked for rap, anyway.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

major record companies (which is usually what people mean when they talk about the "music industry") can't sell you a CD for 18 dollars like they did back then. those sales had such a massive markup that they could sign a ton of smaller bands with niche sounds and make a nice profit for themselves. usually at the expense of the band, but that's a different discussion. without that margin, they've cut all the fat to focus entirely on the top 1% selling pop acts.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

there's "original members" and there's "classic lineup." scott wasn't an original member of reel big fish but definitely part of the classic lineup. johnny xmas has been in the band for 20 years but not part of the classic lineup. sorry, johnny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

guppy posted:

1. The album is 85% finished being recorded and should be at around 90-95% finished within a month or so. I say this with an estimated 82-96% degree of accuracy. Based on previous experiences and evidence, the accuracy of my personal concept of accuracy usually hovers right around 78%. It’s almost done is what I’m saying here.