Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Philly Bosstones show is Bosstones/Have Nots/BTMI!

Gonna be rad

I'm going to that show. Where did you see that BTMI is playing it though? I can't find anything on the web (didn't try very hard) to confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Well holy gently caress, this show just keeps getting better and better. I was already stoked for this show since it'll be the first show my brother and I have gone to together in 3 or 4 years.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I'm a fan of BTMI but last night was the first time I've seen them live. They were awesome but it's like Monty Python formed a punk band. I wasn't very impressed by the Have Nots though. I liked what they had on youtube but I didn't feel like anything from their music videos carried over into their live show. That said, I have seen far worse opening bands.

The Bosstones have put on my favorite ska show yet, but did anybody else at that show notice the number of children in the crowd. I counted at least three kids that couldn't have been more than 6 years old. However, there was also a dad there with his son, who was a bit older, probably 10 or 12. They were wearing matching plaid jackets :3:

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Backno posted:

:smith: One of my favorite memories from one of the Ska Weekend trips was when Jeff jumped off the stage and started playing in the middle of the pit. The microphone was basically taken away by the crowd and passed around and Jeff just kept on playing like it didn't even matter.

The news today took me down memory lane too. I remember seeing Bomb when it was just Jeff and his ipod, and maybe another guy. I think they were opening for the Bouncing Souls. I didn't even know who Bomb was then. I was there to see the Souls.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
My suggestion for exploring 2-Tone is to pick up a box set compilation. Despite a number of repeated tracks across the disks, I would recommend a compilation called "Ska'd For Life." I found it for $10 at a local record store but it can be found on Amazon and probably other places too. That's how I first got introduced to Bad Manners.

Also, I'm picking up tickets for Streetlight's Lancaster show as soon as they post purchasing info.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Maybe Streetlight just has problems behaving at college shows. They played at my school about two years ago and while they didn't get kicked off the stage by the police, Tomas did spend the entire show acting like it was the last place he wanted to be. It seemed like all of his stage banter was just trying to piss off the crowd. I don't know what was up with that. I'm hoping that the attitude is different for this tour. I may get stoned for this, and maybe I'm just a snob, but out of all the ska shows I've been too Streetlight was my least favorite, but they're good enough to get a second chance from me.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Any other goons gonna be at the Lancaster Streetlight show tomorrow?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
drat. I'm gonna have to grab that. I picked up The Liberty of Norton Folgate on a whim about a month ago and loved it.

I was a Madness styled Rude Boy for Halloween. Nobody got it :(.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Yeah, Madness reformed in 1992. They even performed in the closing ceremony at the Olympics this year. I don't know how much this applies to all their new stuff, but their 2009 album, the Liberty of Norton Folgate, has a pretty different style One Step Beyond or any of the early releases. I still really like what they're doing though.

Here, have a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRWq5kXmV4&feature=related

Still silly as ever.

Edit: probably going to see Toots and the Maytals on Monday.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 1, 2012

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Quest For Glory II posted:

You guys can be the J-Ska clique, and I'm the only person that listens to traditional/revival ska cause all yall think its boring or somethin :I

No! You're not alone with the traditional ska love. I'm kind of sad that more people aren't talking about first and second gen ska in here, but not really surprised. Honestly, I'm way more excited for the new Madness album than the new Streetlight record.

Quest, which are your favorite traditional ska bands? Mostly I just have compilation CD's I pick up here and there, so I don't have too much by any single band.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
The Aggrolites got me into revivalist ska. I had never heard of them until I saw them open for the Dropkick Murphys a million years in the past. During their Aggrolites' set, in the mother of all "hardcore guy doesn't get it" moments, I had my left knee dislocated and my leg below the knee hyper extended. I spent the rest of the show at the back of the crowd on a stool with an ice pack on my leg. Kind of sucked since the Dropkick's were my favorite band at the time. Apparently word traveled fast around that small venue though, because before the Dropkicks went on stage I got a personal visit from Ken Casey to make sure I was alright.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Olibu posted:

You mean you're not a Yo Gabba Gabba watcher? (Yes I realize that this was probably after you found out about them.)

Yep, I can certainly say I have never watched that before, but you're right, that video was posted 3 years after I saw the Aggrolites.

What is it with ska bands showing up in children's shows? I know that both the Toasters and Dicky Barrett have done stuff with Nickelodeon. I'm half expecting Jeff Rosenstock to turn up in an episode of Spongebob one of these days.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

guppy posted:

Someone on Turntable introduced me to Swedish ska band The Liptones and I am enjoying the poo poo out of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tMwrq3BsA

If I had heard that song without any background info I never would have suspected that band was Swedish. I am loving this band, especially the 3rd Wave tempos mixed with the 2-tone style lyrics.

Edit:
Anyone else besides me ever heard of Skip Town Matty? They were (I think they're defunct now) a pretty cool ska band local to central Pennsylvania. I rather miss having them around. The only time I got to see them was at a festival, and only four people there seemed to be into ska, so we formed a three man skank pit around the fourth guy who stood in the middle of the circle smoking.

Anyway, a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5LEcR8214
Simple, but entertaining.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 9, 2012

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I've been looking around for their first album but no one seems to be selling it anymore. Probably just end up emailing the band because Skip Town was really cool with it when I asked to use some of their music for a video, really nice guys. I know they recorded some more material after they lost the horn section but I'm not sure if it ever found its way to an album or release. Without the horn section the new songs weren't really doing it for me anyway though.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I'm not exactly sure what I just listened to, but I want more.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I knew what song was being covered I just didn't know who was doing the cover. I guess Quote Unquote Records should have been a dead give away, but I didn't notice until now. I just kept thinking that Jeff Rosenstock can't be behind everything recorded today, except as it turns out, he is.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I want the screaming but only with the 8-bit as accompaniment.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I have a theory that Rosenstock is trying to get as many recordings out as he can before Streetlight can get their new album out, just to screw with Tomas.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
If you don't like highly chaotic live performances where the equipment breaks every song and staying in time means a full measure either ahead or behind then you just don't understand fun. You should also probably avoid anything that is even remotely related to punk music.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I understand not liking DIY on stage. I've only seen BTMI live once and despite the chaos on stage they were still way better than the Have Nots. Of course, once the Bosstones started their set BTMI looked like a bunch of clowns. When such a comparison is possible it might be worth it to tone it down a bit. Still fun as hell.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
The Have Nots played for 40 plus minutes and in that whole time I'm fairly certain that they simply played one song over and over again, and to add insult to injury, that one song sounded like a mediocre Rancid cover.

That said, I have suffered through worse opening acts at ska shows and I'm quite happy to name culprits. While seeing RBF I was subjected to the Lloyd Dobbler Effect. To quote one of my friends at the show, "the only way this could get any worse is if they [Lloyd Dobbler Effect] pull out acoustic guitars and play a power ballad." The next thing out of the singer's mouth was, "Ok, we're gonna switch over to acoustic now and slow things down a bit." Son of a bitch.

However, topping this was Go Go Gadjet opening for Streetlight. They left the crowd in such a bad mood that even Streetlight couldn't turn things around. Still the worst show I've ever been to.

And now I want to hear other people's show horror stories.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
My BTMI love stems from the fact that I am 22, and at the tail end of my college career, and Grandmaster is probably correct when he implies my age and situation leads to my fondness for Bomb and Jeff. But Bomb is more of an exception for me than a norm. For the most part I don't really like ska-core. I think this is because as much as I like DIY bands, I'm not a huge fan of crusty culture which seems to have overrun DIY and ska-core. This is why I love Bomb, they're DIY but not crust. I'll also note that I didn't get into Bomb until Vacation came out, probably because of the themes explored in the album, which I happen to identify with at this point in my life. And I admit, my tastes are always changing in music. When I was first getting into ska and punk, nearly a decade ago, I didn't like the Pietasters because back then, when I was a dumb child, I wanted faster tempos, more yelling. I wanted my music to be, well... more violent. Who knows what I'll like in 5 or 10 more years.

One more thing I'll say for Bomb. We tend to exaggerate the sloppiness of their sets almost as an inside joke. They aren't completely inept, it's just that they don't take themselves very seriously on stage, which I think is a welcome change.

Edit:

guppy posted:

I have basically no grasp of why the location at which something is being written would appeal or not appeal to you.

Have you not seen Metalocalypse?

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 28, 2012

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Leningrad reminds me a lot Mongol Shuudan, a Russian punk/anarcho-rock band. I suspect Mongol Shuudan was the first Russian band to incorporate any second or third gen ska influences into their music. Just my guess though since Mongol Shuudan put their first record out in 1989.

Here's something from 1995 after their sound matured a bit: http://mongolshuudan.ru/files/07_olukh_carja.mp3

Unfortunately I couldn't find an mp3 or a video of any of their songs where the influences are super obvious.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I give it about 18 months before Jeff either has BTMI doing shows again or forms another band. I don't believe he can truly stop.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Maybe Jeff is a stone cold capitalist who has been playing poor for many years, building a devoted fan base, and then announcing a break up in order to create hype. Now, because everyone is afraid BTMI is about to go away forever we're all going to his shows and throwing money in his direction.

Or maybe Jeff just can't stop because he's nuts.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I'm waiting to hear that Tomas has teamed up with Axl Rose to do an album.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Perish the thought, I know, but what if the Hands That Thieve comes out and it sucks?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

guppy posted:

Until you said this it had literally never occurred to me that that was a possibility.

I used to think like this, and then Flogging Molly followed up Within a Mile of Home with Float, and then followed up Float with Speed of Darkness, and my heart broke into a million pieces. I really do think THTT will be a good album, but somehow I just can't shake the fear that this album is going to be the Phantom Menace of ska and turn Tomas into George Lucas with a horn section.

Maybe if the album is really bad Tomas will freak out and return to BOTAR.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Tennis Ball posted:

Float was like the biggest disappointment of my entire life.

:smith::hf::smith:

I think the problem is that Dave King ran out demons to write about. He's living back in Ireland now. He's married. I think the answer to get another good Flogging Molly album is to pay someone to go be really mean to Dave for awhile. The Dreadnoughts have been filling my hunger for new celt punk lately. They remind me a bit of an early Flogging Molly.

Also: There is only one Mischief Brew album. There is only one Mischief Brew album. There is only one Mischief Brew album.

In ska talk, I picked up an album by the Liptones on the recommendation of this thread. It's pretty good but I want to know how a band from Sweden can sound so British?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
If we're going to take that route with RBF why not just get Madness instead?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Hell, even Aaron is looking old.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
And yet Fishbone still looks great.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Wow. McSkippy and I agree on something. For awhile I've been considering creating a thread for Paddy and Celt rock since with a few exceptions like Flogging Molly it kind of forms its own subgenre. Would that interest anybody else in this thread?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Happy valentines day rude goons. Am I doing this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCgX4ixCRcQ

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Oh poo poo, Chameleon Club is really tempting. I've only recently been getting into Five Iron Frenzy but it wouldn't be the first time I've really dived into a band because I'm impulsively seeing them live.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Edit: RBF should just throw dancehall parties, the new Streetlight makes me nervous but I actually quite liked Somewhere in the Between, and I would post daily in a celt rock thread. Gonna see Flogging Molly on March 8th. I haven't seen them since high school which was pre-Float, so I dunno if they're gonna be great or disappointing or what.

Your wish is my command.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
At least they're playing one more date in Lancaster before they call it. I wouldn't mind seeing them in Philly too but there's no way I'm making the March 27th date.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

This is wonderfully horrible and I love every second of it.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I was hanging out in a hookah bar/record store last night and there was a Fishbone album (vinyl) on display. It was bought by a rather cute girl. Not all is wrong with the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

smertrioslol posted:

I'm new to this thread, and I haven't read much outside of the OP, but what do you guys think of Hub City Stompers? My step sister plays with them :3: and I like their stuff a lot. She also used to play in a long dead band called Professor Plum, if any of you managed to see them. Sorry, if this is a repeat. Haven't had the chance to read the whole thread.

I grew up in central jersey so I was always around ska, but I haven't really grown to appreciate it since being stuck in North Dakota for years now without seeing a ska show.

I'll give you my honest report on the Hub City Stompers. Many of few punks/ska fans in my area are really into this band but I just can't get into them. I like their instrumentals quite a bit, but the lyrics just turn me off. Specifically, I always feel like they're forcing the tough guy angle and it just seems phony. Too much "we're skinheads, oi oi oi" going on. I've just always thought 2-tone should be a bit whimsical. Take "Skinhead Girl" by Bad Manners. Loads of skinhead culture references, but it's not a threatening or aggressive song.

That said, America needs more contemporary 2-tone bands so I really appreciate the Stompers for being out there and carrying on the style, even if I disagree with some of their stylistic choices.