Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

heeebrew posted:

Whatever happened to Circle Takes the Square? Is there any new bands that match them?

Decided to live in the forest. Became weirdos (always were???)

NERDS I NEED YOUR HELP :

I'll be in Kansas city from june 3rd to 11 (spending some time during that in st louis). Coming from canada, we barely get any good shows so I'm hoping that my first trip to the states will let me see some good poo poo. Can anyone point me in the direction of show listings near Kansas (punk, metal, whatever)?

edit : also the stuffyouwillhate guy is a giant dork

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

bobz0r posted:

kansas city and St. Louis are both in Missouri. are you sure you don't mean Missouri? anyhow, i suggest you check out the Events section of Last.fm for stuff you might like.

edit: apparently there is a kansas city, kansas too.

Yea, I'll be living on the kansas side. I checked last.fm but I'm sure it misses a bunch of lesser known stuff and house shows obviously.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
Is this where I post about how big my Big Kids / Joyce Manor boner is? It's huge.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

dokomoy posted:

Newb post:

I don't know anything really about punk but over the last couple of months I've heard a couple albums that I've liked and was hoping for some recommendations for similar artists as well as maybe some good/"important" albums representing different times and styles of punk.

My exposure to punk consists almost entirely of Bad Religion(I really liked Suffer, No Control and Against the Grain, but everything I've heard after that has ranged from pretty good to meh) Rise Against(I liked there first two albums a bunch, but I wasn't thrilled with anything after Siren Songs of the Counter Culture) and I've listened to bits and pieces of other bands(Anti Flag, Pennywise, The Descendants) and mostly liked what I've heard.

Thanks

listen to prawn right now

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
SONG OF THE WEEK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQHxTIeDKw

edit : it might turn into song of the minute once I finish this split but gently caress, get on this poo poo.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

heeebrew posted:

Divider is super loving awesome, please post more bands that are similar.

try celeste maybe, they have the bonecrushing heavyness that makes divider so good. Alaskan too.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

cf posted:

I am the arbiter of screamo taste and I hate twinkles and I hate spoken word and I'm pretty sure I dialed the wrong number when the person on the other line answered, "There is no happy here, Billy speaking, how may I direct your call?"

anyone have a copy paste of the story about him burning his burrito in the microwave and going "there is no happy here". Or did I just type out the whole story.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
Here's some really good stuff nobodies discussing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-airReQvhU

I'll never stop listening to it.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

W424 posted:

This is the greatest thing I've heard in aeons.

Welcome to the wonderful club of people who know about celeste.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
Terre promise is such a good song.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Kevar posted:

It's pretty good. (I'm certainly the first person to make that joke)

Important: Pig Destroyer are playing a weird art/music festival in an old glue factory in bumfuck Upstate NY. Considering they barely play any shows, I never thought I'd get a chance to see them. $40 is a bit much, but whatever.

Also important : there is a band called Puig Destroyer that released a baseball themed 7" recently. I have yet to listen to it but I'm sure it owns.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I still can't even get into old MLIW.

i love their first 2 records but holy poo poo is the new one boring.

thanks for the death engine tip cf, i've been listening to it constantly.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

RandomCheese posted:

Saw Guttermouth play last night, was probably the most disappointing act I've ever seen. Vocals were almost nonexistent in the mix and drunk girls kept invading the stage and commandeering the mic (which, thankfully, we could barely hear anyway), while the singer spent half the time on the floor and the other half asking the audience where they could score some coke. Still had a good night but it's a bit of a letdown to see such a poor show from a band that have been doing this for a long time.

at first I read daggermouth and thought it was weird to see someone talk about them in 2013.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
I might've said this before but daitro were amazing and i'll never get tired of listening to their discography. every single thing they put out was great.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
These dudes had a demo that went around a long time ago I think? There was one song I really liked but I can't seem to find it on any of their other releases.

edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtiGElsegCk it's this one! Super CTTSy, if that doesn't make anyone shudder in 2013.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 6, 2013

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
NEW CELESTE? AaaAaaaaaa

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

rivals posted:

Saw Dangers twice in Berkeley over the weekend. Love watching Al during their sets. On Saturday Calculator closed with a couple Rites Of Spring songs which pretty much made my night.

Have they put out anything in the last few years?

new celeste song! http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16258-derrances-en-inimities/

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

rivals posted:

New BSI is streaming here https://backstabbersinc.bandcamp.com. Go listen to it now all of you.

NEW BACKSTABBERS INC?

woa thats pretty unexpected

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

Spraynard is doing a show at First Unitarian in May and it's going to be awesome.

that's great, last I heard they broke up and weren't on speaking terms. Went down to toronto once to catch them, well worth the poo poo 6 hour greyhound ride.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

cf posted:

Circle Takes the Square, I'd argue, is the better joke band because they played it relatively close to the chest.

What happened to them living in the forest, is that still a thing?

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
http://courtesydrop.bandcamp.com/

I'm really into this right now! Recommend me something similar! Especially the songs that go hard, less so the slower ones. The 2nd one has some appleseed cast/90s emo vibes going on which I haven't listened to in a while so give me a refresher!

I want that guy who got freaked out by deafheavens singer to go to a thou show.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 28, 2014

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

nomapple posted:

What do Thou do? I've never seen them live, but they don't strike me as a theatrical band, just a bone-rattlingly heavy one.

Are Bl'ast actually worth checking out or is this just some empty reunion hype thing?

Singer gets REALLY into it. He looks like he really hates everyone and everything and when he looks at you it's pretty scary for a second. It probably only works when not on a stage where he's looking straight at you while choking himself though i guess.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 28, 2014

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Semi OT: What the gently caress was that celtic doomcore bandcamp stuff you linked me ages ago? Also, are you coming back to dota2?

lol at celtic doomcore but maybe you're thinking of either agalloch, gallowbraid or oak pantheon? If it's not that then I have no idea!

I'm still playing hon 4 life. :stunnashades:

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

shitposts redeemed.

continuing the chain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZdCE8kkTSI

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
http://trueblackinternational.com/new-blog/2014/3/10/hatebreed-and-the-art-of-audial-testosterone

CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS

I agree with a lot of it and at worst its reasonable to me

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

cf posted:

It's bad and you should feel bad.

but gently caress jeromes dream though

also sorry about your being wrong. (im not taking a stand on that guys opinion. i just dont think its bad and that even if what hes saying is admitedly pretty stupid its a nice read? )

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It stinks of tough guy posturing. It's some schmuck sitting in the comfort of his home office telling people that Hatebreed is the key to getting away from a society that likes Jonah Hill (who is a fine actor, I don't really get hating him).

that's a pretty big misjudgement!

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't necessarily view Jamey as a toughguy, but I do think their music appeals to that crowd. And I think acting as if listening to Hatebreed will suddenly make you less "soft" is a silly notion, and the article kind of implies that.

that, your previous post and that other guy callng him macho are making me think you're missing the point. the article is mostly about his failings and bout with mental illness padded up with hatebreed jokes and decent opinions about screamo. I enjoy reading that guys stuff so im probably stan'ing a little but so many of these replies seem like they'd be about a stuffyouwillhate article when this is pretty much the opposite.

basically he isnt trying to convince you about the tough guy stuff and seems to understand it mostly applies to his worldview. I linked it because hes a great writer and i found the screamo stuff funny/insightful

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 11, 2014

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Out of all the screamo bands to call "un-manly" he picked the one whose lead singer would regularly vomit blood after shows?

Uh...

he called them unrelatable tryhards not unmanly. vomiting blood from
being in a poo poo gimmicky band is pretty tryhard. I do think jeromes dream made bad music and so did a bunch of screamo sacred cows. I dont think id be able to enjoy saetia if it wasnt for the nostalgia.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 11, 2014

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

This is some WHEN DID MEN BECOME A BUNCH OF BETAS bullshit, gently caress outta here with it.

The article literally starts off with "When did men become such loving pussies" and goes downhill from there.

At which point of a rant on screamo and some guy's clear self-image and depression issues that ends with hatebreed being the solution do you think he's taking an actual honest stand on this poo poo? Did the word emasculate just make you real angry in the context of some guy calling himself a man-child and applying it to himself and other people he views as being just as stunted? He doesn't have an mra blog. He's not even saying this poo poo is negative. He's writing an article on his issues and loving tying it all into "I need to mosh myself to betterment".

Your post is getting me real riled up over the internet

gently caress outta here with your half assed reading and weird outrage.

how does it even go downhill, the only problematic stuff is in the first paragraph unless you're super angry at people enjoying hatebreed or something.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 12, 2014

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

cf posted:

Check out "In Love With An Apple Pie" over here.

i just said "woa" irl(in real life)

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

answersyouseek posted:

I love the irony of this post.

trap them are bad now?

i thought i was gonna like the new locktender but then the end to "the thinker" happened. men as trees remain great though.
also whoever talked about ..who calls so loud is a cool guy.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
so this owns http://earthburnerohio.bandcamp.com/

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

stay depressed posted:

you sure about that

gently caress i havent checked if someone would call it bad.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

stay depressed posted:

just checking if you were sure

yea man it's cool no worries.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

rivals posted:

Can't help but laugh at that line up. Chain of Strength, Judge, Strife, Earth Crisis. So weird when looking at the rest of it.

thats local to me. the lineup is always a joke, mall metal and old bands no one cares about anymore featuring a few good hardcore bands (and mostly only tough guy poo poo). last year was a clusterfuck with over 50 000 attending in a town of barely 1000

edit : that flyer reminded me ignite were a thing. last time i saw em the guitarist called someone a human being and everyone turned on them.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 19, 2014

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Tennis Ball posted:

Isn't that when everyone goes?

Also, any recommendations for some hardcore punk bands? Not sure if what I consider hardcore actually is, but I mean in the vein of This Is Hell, Bane, Comeback Kid, AFI's Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes, the sort of stuff that is almost thrash but not quite.

killing the dream. final fight. touche amore. in the face of war. miles away?

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Pirate Vision posted:

Mongol Horde released their album yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FOoo6D0Wes

It's a bit good. Also it's nice to hear Frank Turner getting back to being angry in front of some noisy instruments instead of producing stadium singalong folk rock.

thank you this is cool

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Not a huge YAITW fan, saw their bassist punch (not slap not hit PUNCH) two women in the face at a show. Since he is relatively new, I think, they would throw him out. Nope.

why did he punch 2 people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They were in the way.

o_O