Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid With Head
Jan 30, 2004

Delicious
So help me God I could have sworn there was a review on this already (:tinfoil: ) but I searched and couldn't find anything, so if there is one already I'll close this one.

Director: William Friedkin (The Exorcist, The French Connection)

Starring: Ashley Judd, Micheal Shannon

This movie is based on a play by Tracy Letts (who actually did the screenplay) and you can tell. The dialog and acting make you feel like you are watching a play instead of a movie. I enjoyed this aspect but I can see where it might be distracting to some.

Set in a lovely strip motel Judd is a waitress who is introduced to Shannon through a friend (Lynn Collins). They begin to believe that their motel room is infested with Bugs that live under the skin. Psychological elements and disorders ensue and halfway through the movie the pacing gets ramped up.

I really wasn't expecting much from this movie, nor did I really have any clue what it was about (although quite quickly you can tell what the "twist" is) but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. There are some pretty brutally violent scenes that really made me cringe. The scene where he loving rips out his teeth with vice grips. Jesus Christ. And during the end where he repeatedly stabs his "doctor/consultant." Stabbing scenes get way too realistic for me.

Shannon plays a dual-character quite well and is really believable as a whack-job. The only thing that I found myself wondering about was that he does such an extreme 180 halfway through the movie that it is hard to believe he played the previous character. He's definitely Dale Gribble on massive amounts of crack, the epitome of a paranoid schizophrenic.

If you view this film as a play rather than a movie I think some might enjoy it more. Others will say that the acting is horrible and extremely corny.

I got this as "one of those movies I'd probably never rent, but would make a good Netflix."

Pros: An original psychological thriller/horror-type movie. Some graphically violent scenes. Harry Connick Jr. as an ex-inmate wife beater.

Cons: People will complain about lovely acting and premise. I really couldn't find anything I truly disliked.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
The acting was good for the most part, but some of it was over the top. I felt when he was going to rip out one of his teeth, his running all over the place while bleeding mass amounts and screaming was a little bit over the top. Maybe it was just how he was running all over the motel screaming and head banging with them that came off as over the top for me. But this isn't the only thing that seemed over the top for me.
The plot was really slowly moving for the most part because not much happened, and the motel (where most of the movie was shot) wasn't an interesting place at all. So it made the movie feel kind of dull for the most part.

As for the movie, it's worth renting some time if you're bored. Definitely not worth buying, because after once, you don't really want to see it again because.

3.5/5.5