Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

This is a fabric question - I'm intending to create the red dress Alice wears in the first Resident Evil movie but I can't figure out the fabric her dress is made out of. You can buy costumes online but they all appear to be made out of a satiny fabric that doesn't quite look or float quite right.

Reference picture:

I'm thinking a sheer silk of some kind but chiffon seems too thin and I'm not that familiar with all the different types of fabric. Any ideas? I'd like to know where to look at the fabric store when I go to look. Thanks in advance. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Amykinz posted:

It could be a crepe, but the way the dress fits her it could also be a heavy knit, like a jersey fabric too.

Jersey Fabric

I never would have thought of jersey. That is awesome, I will try it out. :D Thank you everyone!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm installing my first zipper and I can't get it to lie flat - there's a bubble in the fabric. I'm going to pick out my basting stitches and try again but I was just wondering if maybe there was 'one weird trick' to getting a zipper to look smooth. I'm pretty sure I just need to pull up the fabric on one side to make it straighter... it's in the side of a dress.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I do! It works really well.

I'm still hesitating on sewing the zipper in. I need to just do it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I did take it out and iron everything again and then basted and then it was still off a little but I just sewed it in. I suffered a little because I believe I made my seam allowances too small, but I managed to take it in in the back at the zipper so it fits pretty good. For my first fully lined, zippered and boned dress I think it turned out pretty good.

Having a serger to finish the inside seams would be great but oh well! All I have are some Instagram pictures, sorry. :blush:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 19, 2013

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Thank you! It's a great pattern - unfortunately I lost one pattern piece to one of my kids enthusiastically cleaning it up when it fell onto the floor and I didn't put it away immediately. Oops. There's some things I know I'll do better next time, like the boning and the zipper but overall I'm really pleased with it. :D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Those shorts are ridiculous and I love them. :swoon:

My Halloween costume is almost done! I'm actually about to hit up the cosplay thread to ask about boot covers because I bought pleather to make them out of but haven't gotten further than that.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

The cut seems weird. I feel like it shouldn't be so baggy in front. I'm looking at my low-crotch pants and the crotch is usually more tapered in front. It is baggier in the back than it is in the front. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

I feel retarded because I cannot figure out how to use this website. There is a bunch of options but no button to click to apply my selections. Am I retarded or is it just broken?

http://www.moodfabrics.com/fashion-fabrics.html

It looks like the website auto-searches when you make a selection (like cotton blend), no need to click a "apply" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

taiyoko posted:

So my mom's asked me about making my niece an Elsa costume for Halloween as a surprise, using the Simplicity licensed pattern. She's 4 years old, turning 5 in March, and her measurements make her pretty solidly a size 4 for the pattern right now. How much should I anticipate her growing by Halloween? Just make it a size bigger?

If my kids are any indication she is going to grow a LOT this year. I would wait to make it until later because a 5 would probably be right, but you never know.