Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
This thread has had some great advice for beginners, really appreciate the advice.

I have a industrial sewing machine question to ask, I have the opportunity to pickup a Nakajima 280L that is in fantastic shape for 500. The guy is literally moving out of his house and has to dump it and just over the phone knocked 200 bucks off his original asking price.

I've been working on making some flags for family members for Christmas and the Brother SE400 I own just isn't able to penetrate the layers of canvas and I had to compromise on the threading, which won't hold up so well out in the sun, so eventually I came to the conclusion I needed an Industrial something or other and came across the Nakajima.

At 500 bucks and being recently overhauled, the guy had the receipt from a reputable company, and a server motor attached is it a good buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

What an adventure this has been

So, typical Craigslist deal, when I called the guy to go pickup the machine he waffled on a time and said he was busy, so I said np I'll call back tomorrow. Next day he wouldn't pickup. I knew something was going on so I emailed him and asked if he sold it or didn't want to let it go at the 500 price; it wasn't a problem just let me know and I'll move on. He emailed back he sold it for 400 a day after I talked to him but didn't tell me for nearly a week, Craigslist a social experiment in avoiding awkward situations. I replied no worries and wished him the best on his move, he then called me and thanked me and said he felt really bad about it but he needed it to go ASAP and wished me luck on finding my own machine.

I guess the karma worked

During the winter I had to break down my mom's workout room at her house and convert it to an office she could work out of as her health has been declining and she is downsizing to retire from her small business. So she let me take this nearly brand new 6 station Weider workout equipment home so I could sell it as payment for moving heaven and earth from her leased space to her garage / new office. Huge HUGE pain in the rear end to get completed, but it's my mom so I endured to lend a hand.

Posting it on Craigslist I got offers of 50 to 75 bucks for what is literally new at almost 2k. One person that came over to take a look and seemed to know the store it was bought from said some stations looked like they were never used and I said they probably never were. He offered me 75 and I responded :frogout: I had it listed for 400 bucks which I don't think is unreasonable and would have taken 200. So I've had this huge POS of metal, weights and pulleys in my garage for nearly a year, why is this relevant in a sewing thread you ask?

Well Thursday I emailed a guy who had a Juki 1181 with a servo motor and a really great table that he wanted 750 or trade of equal value on. I called and assumed trading a firearm would get me the deal with no cash but he wasn't interested in guns, I mentioned the pile of scrap metal and plasticized cement blocks and a gently caress load of steel cables stuffed into a box I had to trade and after sending pictures, he said it'd be a deal! :hellyeah:

While we were unloading the equipment into the guys garage, he kept saying what a huge pain in the rear end the Juki was to work with and how it had ruined so much material and projects he wanted to get done that he was just happy to be rid of the monstrosity. I thought, if I had to pay for a technician to repair the head, I'd still be getting this machine for an unbelievable deal. We put the sewing machine table into my truck and he slammed my tailgate and then shook my hand and said all sassy 'Later BITCH!' and then he turned to me all serious and said 'I meant the sewing machine' and then he kind of massaged my shoulder.

I think my new sewing machine is gay.

Which doesn't seem to matter to anyone in his new home in my garage, because after reading through the manual and a few posts online about it and tuning it to the factory specs and little hints everybody suggested; gay Steve sews absolutely fantastic. Even thin layers of service vinyl with a 5mm stitch, just perfect. I do have to slow the motor down as he had it set at max speed of 2000 sti/min and the starting speed is quite startling at 500 or something crazy. Could no be happier.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

nolen posted:

Whoops. I bought a new toy today.

Is three machines enough? I'd say yes but I know that I'll eventually add a fourth...and a fifth.

I have a problem.

What are you making with those machines? and is that an 8000 series Juki?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

Hello sewingoons. I'm thinking about getting my girlfriend a more solid sewing machine for her birthday next month. She's only got a small cheap portable thing that has broken a couple of times now and she'd like something more proper. She is threatening to re-upholster my boat so something that can handle upholstery weight material would be nice and it would be nice to be able to do my own sail repairs.

I have a couple of questions:

Can you use such a heavy machine for finer work, or would you want to have a machine designed for light work and one for heavy?

Is an old machine a good idea (assuming it's in good condition and well serviced), or will it be more trouble than it's worth?

I'm mostly into working on motorcycles and wood/metal work, where you usually want to use the right size tool for the job. Also old tools are often cheap and very solid. I'm wondering if it holds true for sewing. Suggestions for good brands/models are welcome. I'm in the UK so there's a billion old Singers and some European brands.

hollylolly - that is a cool dress.

I did a ton of research on this and the ones you want to avoid are the Chinese walking foot knock off machines like Yamata's. You might be able to get one for 300 or so but they quickly run into issues and then you are spending more for repairs then the thing is worth; the general consensus from the pros that sew for a living. A local shop I called said if I bought a Yamata to not even bring it in for him to repair/service, another said 'repairs will be expensive, I never recommend them to anyone.'

For sewing leather the soft vegtan to the cow hides for seats you should look for a tri-fed(compound) industrial machine because they will not mark up the leather on top of the stitches they are putting down. I'm constantly on the prowl for a Consew 206RB-(5), or a Chandler 406RB. Consew are more expensive around 700 to 1300 and that comes with a servo motor usually and the Chandler 500 to 900, both are well built machines that will last a lifetime with proper maintenance. But this is only if you want to do real leather and make heavy things like gun holsters and knife sheaths.

For sail repairs you will want to find a zig-zag machine like a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1, forgot to add that and I believe they are a feed dog machine so real leather will leave marks, there are videos of people using these to reupholster vehicles as well.

I picked up a Juki 1181 because for upholstery work you usually are dealing with heavy cloths and pleather and even with the dual fed system this uses, doesn't mark up the materials I'm practicing with. So far the projects I've started are re-upholstering dining room chairs and making welting and this things is just unbelievable awesome sauce. I have a Brother SE-400 which is great for garments and home repair but anything more then stitching kids clothes together, I go out to my garage and use my industrial.

Strongly recommend finding a machine already setup with a servo motor, the clutch motors work just fine but they are an older technology that use a TON of electricity and some models are stock car loud

I recently had a ton of sun screen material as scrap and I took it all and did some french seams on it and now I have some great frost covers for the winter, looks like I bought them all. If you really look at the seams I'm all over the place as I learn how to us the machine, but the quality is top notch that the Juki can produce through 3 layers of heavy material.

For my quads I'm practicing up with the embroidery I am able to do with my Brother machine, just an example.

Once I have a design I like I'll take the material out and stitch it together and replace the riding boot ripped up seats on our quads with something fantastically custom and it will cost, 20 bucks to make? Plus time. Just waiting for the heat of the summer to gently caress off and then I'm out in the garage all night.

Hope that helps?

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 21, 2013

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

nolen posted:

Do you find you have crazy hoop-burn with pleather or similar materials when you machine embroider?

The thickest material I've thrown in my embroidery machine is denim, but I would love to experiment with vinyls without having to just lay them on top of the stabilizer with some adhesive.

I've only been doing this for two months, I had to lookup what you were talking about :) I need to pay attention to that after I work on this little sub-project, I'm cutting inside the hoop to make the things so it doesn't matter for the moment but i'll have to experiment with it and try using no stabilizer since it has a backing, just worried pieces will fall out without a stabilizer as it would cut through it like a stencil.

I use cut away stabilizer and don't use adhesive, should I be doing that? So far I've been happy with the results but I want to try and get the threads tighter and more dense, again practicing with Embird to get it right. It has been a learning experience.

Possible :nws::nws:
http://i.imgur.com/sT9M8rp.jpg

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

pointers posted:

I find my fabric shears, long pins, and walking foot (for sewing knit fabric) invaluable.

Cannot say enough good things about a walking foot. Either an addon
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Foot-Sewing-Machine-Machines/dp/B001UBMDCQ
or a literal cheap industrial
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/4130036460.html

I'd personally go with industrial walking foot from the quality work it puts out and the range of material you can use.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Nicol Bolas posted:

Heard and done. Nix the new sewing machine, and will look for an old one! (Any guides out there about what to look for on an old one besides "old Singer from before the 70s and not obviously rusty / broken?)

And I just google mapped it and I have no idea where 300 miles came from, it's actually almost 600. :psyduck: But whatever, I'll pay for the shipping myself if it comes to that. I already know how to thread the drat thing.

Well if you were in AZ and asked this question literally a few days ago you could have taken the old Brother my mom gave me. I couldn't sell it on Craigslist so I gave it to Goodwill.

Which is where you should start your search, try the ones near retirement communities and the family members literally load up Grandma's old stuff and drop it off. You might get one for 50 bucks that is in fantastic shape.

If you can find an industrial sewing machine and I posted about them a page or so ago, cannot recommend them enough. The quality of the stuff they put out is fantastic, but they can be a bit larger then a regular home machine.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Ellie Bee posted:

On another note, I wrote my first quilt pattern and I am looking for a pattern tester or two. Which basically means you get the pattern for free in exchange for feedback and a few photos of your finished product to share on my blog.

Any sewers out their interested? It is a pretty easy quilt and would make a great gift for the holidays, a child's birthday or a baby shower!

I'd like to try but I'm a novice at best but I do finish my projects when I have a deadline.

I'm just worried if I flat out fail, we both might be sad?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Solaron posted:

My girlfriend's learning to sew with a machine. I just got her a Singer Vivo and she's used it for a few hours when it started to make a noise. After looking into it, it appears the issue is that the needle is hitting the metal case that the bobbin goes into rather than slipping into the hole. I've included a picture in case it makes any sense - and I'm sure my terminology is all messed up.

I've removed and reseated the needle to make sure it's all the way up. Not sure what else I should be doing - the booklet doesn't really mention this. Cursory Google shows a few different options including timing, etc - but is that really necessary already?

EDIT: In case it's not clear, this image shows the needle just as it hits the bottom.

I'd make sure you are using the right needle sizes, there are different lengths.

what is the model and what type of needle are you using?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

A stitching awl would be perfect for this, I have done many a small repair with mine. There's a few available, this is the one I have, comes with waxed thread and there's handy guides on youtube on how to use them:

http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitcher-T200-Sewing-Awl/dp/B000HGIJQ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389625550&sr=8-2&keywords=speedy+stitcher

That's a great suggestion, if you are up to it I'd also say Google search some local upholstery shops and then show up with a couple bucks in hand and ask if they could sell you some T90 or T92 bonded Nylon(whatever size they have) that best matches the color of your bag. A pound roll goes for 40 or so bucks and is more then you might use in lifetime. If you get somebody friendly enough they might just hand stitch it for you right there, helps if you are a girl because that's the way the world is :)

Some of the local shops here I've stopped at are incredibly friendly and very helpful, for small projects I go in and buy scraps all the time and pay in cash which is usually worlds cheaper then a kit or by the yard, plus they've let me use their tools multiple times or have just done it for me if they are not too busy.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Had to do a A-B pattern shirt for a kids school project, asking the kid it was for, who is four, what he wanted to put on his shirt, he immediately yelled out Thomas the Train!

So I drew up some stuff in Embird and started production. I had a ton of canvas sitting around so I used that for all the patches

This is what happens when you turn your back on your children for a second while embroidery is happening, saying 'don't touch that it's dangerous!' only heightens their desire to gently caress with it.

AB patterns are emerging

I would be more precise with this project if the kid would wear his new shirt for more then a school day, I let him place the objects on the shirt and then we mark some things which seems to Dad they're just screwing around with the chalk pencil

The biggest pain ended up being the sleeve pieces, I thought they'd be a breeze but I wanted them cut small so they wouldn't be so heavy. Wish I'd of thought about room for stitches before I gave them a scalping, this is what I get for working on it so late before a due day and zoning out. I had to hand run the sewing machine around them to make it all fit.

Soon as the kid wakes up he asks for his shirt, another class had some sort of fashion show the previous day and he was super excited to show his off. This is the fourth picture I tried taking, he wouldn't stop smiling like he was taking a poo poo so we went with one of those.

I tried letting the little guy help with some of the machine sewing and he enjoyed it but all he wanted to do was floor it and make the sewing machine go fast by pushing my leg down, lot of fighting going on in those lines. Thomas also didn't come out too great but at a certain point Dad got tired of dicking around with drawing for again something that'll be worn for a day then forgotten.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Bean posted:

My right needle on my serger comes unthreaded all the time. The machine still chains and serges, but I have two needles, I'd like to use them both. Any ideas?

I'm about to drop my Baby Lock off at a local shop, I've tried everything I can to fix it's very lazy chaining ability after watching all I could about serger repair on youtube and I can't fix it. Best 140 bucks I'll spend on it IMO.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Etheldreda posted:

Hey sewing experts, I have done a fair amount of patchwork piecing and sewing bags (so, mostly squares and rectangles). I am doing OK, but sewing would become much more pleasant for me if I could figure out how to stop this one problem I keep having. When I sew, I measure pieces very carefully and pin them together and start to sew, but it doesn't take long before the fabrics aren't right anymore; I think the top fabric gets pulled by the machine a bit more than the bottom fabric so I end up either with the fabrics no longer touching at the bottom, or some sort of "creases", or I pull on the top fabric some and get annoyed, or all of the above.

I try to let the machine and feed dogs do the work of moving the fabric rather than getting in the way, but I'm clearly doing something wrong, or maybe there's some minor feed dog setting on the machine that isn't right? Does anyone have any advice?

My machine is a Kenmore 19110 which I believe is made by Janome. It's pretty new.

Have you tried using a walking foot to help keep it all together as you go?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

A buddy came over with a project for his back patio cushions, the Arizona sun is not kind to outdoor man made things.

Always amazes how much dirt, dust mites, cactus, seeds and crud cushions accumulate

All the pieces and parts for the cushions are cut and corners are prepared. Those little velcro strips piled on top took me dam near half a day to cut, fold, add velcro and sew together

This is the second cushion i'm finishing, these are my first patio furniture things I've done, and as I hand sewed up the rear end end up it, turns out I don't really know how to tie a knot. I made a few attempts going through this knowing the T90 thread would eventually break so I wanted to quarter up the hand sewn areas so it didn't split in one feel swoop and belch out soft cushion innards. Anybody have any good tips for hand sewing? Literally stabbing at it in the dark.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I posted up my Juki DU-1181N for sale in SA-Mart if any sewing people might be interested in moving to the industrial side

Post is here

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

comets! posted:

I'm getting started sewing and won't be able to make it to a fabric store in person for another month or so. But I already have my machine and I'm eager to get started! Currently I am just destroying old clothes and scraps I have around the house.

The solution is to buy some fabric online, but that's tough for two reasons. 1. I want interesting, loud fabric. 2. I have only a very cursory idea of what type of fabric is appropriate for different styles of clothing, based on internet research.

Can anyone help? I REALLY like Alexander Henry and Timeless Treasures style ridiculous fabric, but it's all "quilting cotton." Is that okay for something like a circle skirt? I do have an unlined dress from Modcloth in an Alexander Henry fabric and it's... okay. For circle skirts/skater dresses (my garments of choice which I plan to make over and over this summer until I'm good at it) I feel like I need a stretchier fabric. But then I read stretchy fabrics are not great for beginners.

Can anyone point me towards a good brand and type of fabric to order? Or is Alexander Henry fine for what I want? I have basically looked at all my favorite dresses and they're mostly polyester/spandex/rayon blends or 90% cotton with some other fabric for stretch.

After cleaning out my closet of old clothing and taking all my wifes old scrubs, I hit up goodwill and thrift stores for cheap older stuff that looks good. Couple bucks can go a long way there.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Funhilde posted:

Trying to make a dog hat for a friend. Not sure if this looks right but I think it is close enough.

This hat is awesome by the way, do you make a template and then put things together or just cut out pieces and pin them then sew it together when they look good?

Clicking your profile you're actually a professional, I'm more of what you call a hack, I just make poo poo up then throw it down. The stuff you have in your gallery is fantastic.

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 27, 2014

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

It amazes me what can transpire within one day.

Picked up a Juki DNU-1541S for a screaming deal and once I got home I ran down to a local shirt printer to pay for a shirt for somebody from our guild going to this game event(Pax East), I wanted to make a cool shirt for them to wear. Paying the guy I saw he had this awesome Barudan Beat IV sitting there with a crap ton of accessories, when I said 'That's great machine' he replied 'I'll sell it to you for 500 bucks'

I said, I don't have that kind of cash but I can trade you something for it instead? We then quickly made a deal, now it's sitting in my garage. Hasn't really set in yet. He said he was super busy with his shirt printing business and just literally did not have the time to mess around with the embroider and it was taking up more room then he wanted to give up in his shop, so earlier today he was thinking 'I need to get rid of this thing'

Just acquired a Brother PE770 on Thursday and made up a thing for another Goon

Now I'm going to be figuring out how to convert that to a professional level embroidering machine. I still can't believe it.

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 29, 2014

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

All of your sewing projects look fantastic, I need to spend more time on my sewing machine now that my latest Goon project is completed, so much to do and learn so little time.

Pushed my Barudan to the limit making one shirt utilizing 63,000 stitches out of 65,000 locations of stitch memory, as always learned a ton working with it. If the take up levers are not in the proper up positions you break a needle, if the carriage isn't in the right place you break a needle, thread gets jammed up break a needle, not paying attention going from first to sixth thread and the thread cutter hasn't done it's job break many needles. I was literally down to 3 needles, 4 heads had theirs stolen, to complete this design.

What's incredibly nice about this embroider machine, that nothing else I've used has, is the ability to reverse in your pattern stitch out and redo or thicken up where a thread frayed or change thread because it just completely sucks and start again. On the quotes part the bottom of the hoop was screwing up the words and I had to ditch out on the ~Kotaku part plus 'racist' was the last word in the last sentence there, I think what was left is an improvement actually. The other sentences I had to jog around with the X/Y controls and just let r rip when I thought it looked like the right spot. I put one needle in backwards and it kept shredding the thread so some of the letters got a little hosed up as I tried to fix them only for the restitch do the same thing only worse. If I had another shirt and this didn't need to be in CT on Thursday I would have started over.

The file conversions took a bit to figure out as well, Wilcom doesn't like you using older software it seems and won't even save as older versions with their TrueSizer application. I had to go through some hoops to get everything funneled down to pipe through an old LPT1 cable to the embroiderer, not to mention this Beat IV is from the 90s and a lot more mechanical then the modern industrial embroider machines of today, so after doing some maintenance on this it can spit some oil out onto the shirts or whatever I'm trying to put a design on. The more I use it the more I kind of like how it operates, it's pretty dangerous. I didn't catch the alignment properly and it tried to start putting the needle into the side of the hoop and of course shattered a loving needle I couldn't spare. But the adventure was really fun and that's why I sew as a hobby.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

If you do an embroidery thread can the machine bros post in it too?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm looking to buy a Juki 1541 or something similar that can handle several layers of heavy material. It would be used to make gear for rafting such as nylon camlock straps which sometimes are three layers thick, or canvas bags or other waterproof rigging bags made out of heavy materials.

Heres a few examples of the things I'd like to sew:

The Juki 1541 seems to be the standard in this arena but its pretty pricey at $1300 or so. I'm looking for recommendations on a similar (hopefully cheaper) machine that can handle the same types of projects (needs to be able to do a straight and a box stitch.

Like Nolen posted industrial machines typically do only one job, but they do it very well, so you won't find a box stitcher that also is a walking foot straight stitch. I've sewn two layers of webbing on my 1541s without a problem yet, but I wasn't doing it for speed and profit. I don't see how a third layer would pose any significant problems, I don't have any webbing sitting around or I'd go try it for you.

My first industrial was a Juki 1181 that was able to handle four layers of thick army grade canvas without any issues, I only had to help it through the handle section that went up to eight with a padded cotton core. I traded to get the machine but I sold it for 7 or 800, the 1181 should be able to handle all that you are doing but it can get all mashy and grindy when you try to do simple cotton sewing on two layers, it really likes thicker stuff.

I would call around and find a good sewing repair shop, when you find something on craiglist since it sounds like you want used, call the shop and make sure the make/model is worth the repair costs and ask what a ballpark tuneup is going to cost. There are a ton of cheaper China knock off industrial machines that a lot of shops won't even work on, so even though they might be cheap to get any breakdowns and you might be out all the cash or have to ship off the head for repairs.

There are a ton of makes/models out there that can do what you need, I would suggest calling small businesses and ask what they use. Before I bought my 1541S I cold called a guy who owned a small shop that makes awnings and I let him know I was a hobbyist looking to upgrade but was looking for someone with knowledge if they had time to discuss what they were using, was incredibly helpful and I ticked off a couple machines in my search. I've stayed in contact with the guy and have done a few embroidery jobs for him, think he was just testing out my abilities to start with. Worth a shot though.

The place I bought my machine from their sales people are also very helpful and have been in the business forever, they might be a little better at helping you find a better priced machine that'll do what you need http://www.raichert.com/

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Artistic Monkey posted:

Whats this particular fastener called? I've been trying to find a place to buy a few

I've bought things from NRS.com before and that looks like they are the same thing. I've never bought cam buckles though, maybe bEatmstrJ can talk to the quality if that's where they get their supply?

[edit]

I am the milkman posted:

Looks good, thanks. I also found Thread Theory, a company that only makes menswear patterns. After trying out their free undershirt pattern, I've also bought the pattern for and started making the jedediah shorts. The coming collection looks to be a 100% my thing.

Those patterns are great, I think I'm going to have to buy some. Also those backpacks and jackets when that new line releases as well, I had no idea patterns like that were purchasable. The stuff I've seen in the stores, to me, has not been inspiring or project worthy at all.

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 20, 2014

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Queen Elizatits posted:

I post way too much about sergers in this thread sorry sorry.

I am finally going to go ahead and buy one though as a first step towards being a super serious business person. Is the Baby Lock Evolution still a very solid choice? The fact that it overlocks and cover stitches at the same time seems pretty fabulous.

And I swear I heard somewhere that Baby Lock was about to come out with a new serger but I can't find anything about that now, just a new embroidery machine. Anyone else heard anything or was I dreaming?

The Baby Lock Ovation? I didn't even have to lookup what you were talking about, we should go to Sewing Machines Anonymous together, I'll drive...

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Queen Elizatits posted:

Maaaaaaan. I wonder how much that sucker runs for. Thank you for the name I'll be off watching the product videos now

I called a local sewing shop and I believe in the 900 dollar range.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Would this be a good option? pfaff 332 heavy duty sewing machine It looks like from the pictures that the machine can do zigzag stitch as well as straight, and there are a lot of different feet attachments. I thought maybe you'd know whether it looks good or not because you have a pfaff yourself :)

I would start by finding a local sewing shop and ask them if they repair that model and how much a general tune up is. If you buy that it is the first thing you'll HAVE to do it if is not timed right or has something bent or broken inside.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

This is all really helpful :) Ok last post about buying old machines, I swear. I was asking some family/friends about the Pfaff I linked, and my girlfriend said something like "suitcase sewing machines aren't really considered very good." Now, I know that's a pretty vague statement, and vintage machines in general are tougher than modern, so maybe it would be okay. I would like to be able to sew thicker fabrics too, though. So I thought maybe this Pfaff would be a better bet: 1952 Pfaff 130 heavy-duty

It's at the upper limit of my budget, but since it was just serviced, ships free, and comes with needles, bobbins, etc I don't mind that (seller has a 99.8% positive feedback with 3000+ reviews, too). This machine does zigzag, lockstitch, and reverse unlike that Singer I posted which only does lock. (Also, I think it's a great looking machine, though of course that doesn't really matter.)

So I guess what I'm asking is whether you guys agree with my gf that suitcase/smaller machines aren't great and I shouldn't spend my money on that, and whether this larger Pfaff looks like what I'd need (just a few simple stitches) if that's the case.

If you are starting I'd seriously consider hitting Goodwill in local areas or near retirement communities and try your first machine being bargain basement priced. That is a nice machine but I think you can find a better deal IMO. Even Craigslist can offer up some fantastic stuff at a fraction of Ebay prices, usually people put things on Ebay at a higher selling point because they know what max monies they can get for it. Try putting up a 'Wanting To Buy' on Craigslist and do some fishing to see what people will almost give away.

I caution against rushing into an Ebay purchase.

I have seen quite a few times people just dumping industrial machines on Craigslist when they no longer have the room or stuff just won't sell, especially around Christmas when people need money.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Hey folks, since we're on machine-chat, what's your favourite modern serger? I've decided to just buck up and buy new since both of the used ones I've purchased have ended in tears and I'm tired of fussing and I have an actual budget now and I just want something that works. My ideal budget is around $250 but I'm willing to go up to about $450 if it's worth it.

I'm used to Singers, have had bad experiences with Babylock, don't have much of an opinion on Bernina, Husqvarna, or Brother. The last serger I successfully used was a 3-thread Singer from the early '80s and I had no problems with it.

I've been doing a bunch of reading and can't decide if the difference between 3- 4- and 5-thread will be at all useful/noticeable for home use. Is there a good guide somewhere? I plan to mostly serge knits and spandex, and would also like to be able to do flatlocking (which I've read you can fake on a 2, 3, and 4 thread), so I don't know if that has any bearing on the decision.

So far in my research I've got my eye on this one, but without any experience with 4+ thread machines I don't really know if it's practical or worth the extra money.

I also don't mind threading machines (I actually find it rather cathartic), so I'm not fussed about whether it's self-threading. Seems like more parts to break than anything, to me.

Are there other considerations I'm not taking into account that I should be?
Thank you guys! :)

If I was going to buy a serger again I'd go with that Singer 14T968DC. I knew next to nothing about them when I found mine at a massive bargain, 40 bucks for a baby lock bl4-738 and it works great. The only issue is that I can only do edging with it, I can't do the seams like I want for soccer jerseys and sports practice clothing for my kids, that super light material any sport likes to use. I honestly don't even know the vernacular of what it is called of what ending or hemming my serger can do and that Singer can. I've had that Singer on my Amazon wish list for some time now, amongst many other machines, I just don't really "NEED" it. Least that's what my wife tells me...

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Bitter Beard, thank you for that! I did a bit more research as well, and I'm going to bite the bullet and go for it. The only type of negative review I've managed to find for that particular machine is "ugh I've been a quilter for FIFTY YEARS and I know EVERY last thing there is to know about machines and I CAN'T THREAD IT. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY" (emphasis original) so I think that machine and I will get along just fine. So excited!

Sweet! Make sure to post pics of what you make with it and what you think of the machine, it will most likely tip the scales for me as well...

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I ran out of excuses to not buy a Singer 14T968DC serger so I finally ordered one. I made some couch pillows for my wife and using my Baby Lock BL4 to do the pillow forms, they were done so quickly I felt bad that was the extent this great machine could go. So I figured why not buy a machine that has some expanded features if I like serging so loving much?

I tried sewing the welting directly onto the pillow instead of making it separate for the first time, I liked the results and plan on doing this for any weltig in the future. The cat hair attracting faux suede my wife picked for the backings tried to be as difficult as possible when I was sewing the 4+ layers together and I had to switch to a leather needle with a blade point to punch through consistently.

Pillow! I whipped these up in an afternoon, good fun quick project.

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Staryberry posted:

Also, a kid's interests can change pretty drastically in 8 or 9 months. You might finish the costume now, and then she might not want to wear it by Halloween.

I have started and not finished GhostBusters costumes from last year, my kids went berserk for Iron Man and that's who they were last year instead of the Ghostbusters I was making for them.

I'll wait until August myself before finishing these or going in another direction, hopefully it's Ghostbusters jump suits tan because that's what color they ARE going to be regardless of character.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Goldaline posted:

Oh boy, you know what was the worst part of that last project? Doing the itty-bitty circles in the center of the flowers.

Wow, what a pain.

Sure glad that's over with and I never have to do that aga--

Oh...ok. :sweatdrop:

E: Also I'm having problems now that it's hot out that the sweat from my hands will start to dissolve the interfacing and make it stick to the presserfoot.

haha, how many flipping times have I said that.

Curious why don't you invest in an embroidery machine and then do partials to get the same effect? Just looking at that design I can see the perfect place to break it apart and the the most you would need to do the way you are now would be the outer boarder all the way around so it is continuous.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

That makes sense, you're stuff looks fantastic when you are done and the attention to detail really shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

baby puzzle posted:

Also never give money to a goon.

Always this, but I have no problem buying somebody some supplies they can use to make something.

Always be helpful