Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PLEASE read the entire thread before posting to avoid repeating dead theories or working on solutions to problems already solved

• Here's a Timeline wiki if you need a recap of events & clues.
  • An irc channel for live discussion has been set up as well: irc://irc.synirc.org #sara

ORIGINAL OP:

I thought I'd share it, since we've had some pretty fun threads about ciphers before.

A person I've never spoken with before, let's call her "Sally", popped up on my AIM and asked if I was good with codes, and I told her "a little". Then she sent me an image.

(click for big)

She says "sorry its a bit dirty, i pulled it out of the bin" and when pressed, she said "you might say i actively found it rather than passively found it" which I find interesting.

I asked her how she found me, and said that her "ex boyfriend from university knew some fellow off usenet or something, goes by the sn of "[removed]"?? im not sure. i asked my ex (comp sci student) if he knew anyone, and this fellow seemed to know you" - I removed his nickname, cause he's probably not related to this at all, but for those who like to cook up conspiracy theories, he's from Missouri and works in film. I have no idea who he is, aside from googling him. Likewise, Sally is a linguistics student somewhere in England.

Now, I've decoded it (took about half an hour, it's not very complex), but I thought some of you might want a shot at it as well. Who knows, maybe there will be more (Sally said she'd be on the lookout for more).

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 8, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

http://nanda.satukubik.net/2006/09/29/pigpen-cipher/ looks to be the answer to this one. I am too lazy to decode it, I am happy enough to know that I could if I wanted to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There's a little bit more to it than that, but yeah, the alphabet is pigpen.

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!
Even if you had never heard of pigpen, you could do a simple frequency analysis on it to figure out (approximately) which symbol maps to which letter.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
It may be a pigpen cipher which will reveal another cipher - because if it were simple pigpen, the first line reads BMMJAMQD ZJZDJIK.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I didn't have my glasses on when I read it and it just looked like LAOUUUVVALOAOUALOLOUALOUAUUVOULAUOULVU. So that's what I'm going for.

Boll Weevil
Feb 21, 2007

Do work.

odd2k posted:

Even if you had never heard of pigpen, you could do a simple frequency analysis on it to figure out (approximately) which symbol maps to which letter.

Just looking at it the 3 letters that look like "Aun" (A without the dot) is "THE". That would make the O or box equal to "N".

I got BMM... as well. But yeah, different key.
VVVV

Boll Weevil fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 4, 2007

D14BL0
Dec 6, 2006

WE STAND AT THE DOOR

vibrantglow posted:

It may be a pigpen cipher which will reveal another cipher - because if it were simple pigpen, the first line reads BMMJAMQD ZJZDJIK.

I don't think you understand how pigpen works. If it's standard pigpen, the first line is this: NGGRAGIO XRXOREF.

I ran it through a ROT converter, and got nothing, so there's some sort of other code to this, as well.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

D14BL0 posted:

I don't think you understand how pigpen works. If it's standard pigpen, the first line is this: NGGRAGIO XRXOREF.

Oops, you're right... I was looking at the wrong key.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

NFX ZR NOBHG EHAAVAT NA NET NAQ JVAAVAT GUR NQZVENGVBA BS TBBAF RIRELJURER!
I ran NGGRAGIO XRXOREF through a ROT13 converter and got ATTENTVB KEKBERS.

Looks like someone hosed their pigpen and spelling up. No wonder it got thrown away.

OP, you said you deciphered it, is it any more coherent past the first line? I presume it is meant to say ATTENTIO (sic) MEMBERS.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bonne chance posted:

Looks like someone hosed their pigpen and spelling up. No wonder it got thrown away.

OP, you said you deciphered it, is it any more coherent past the first line? I presume it is meant to say ATTENTIO (sic) MEMBERS.

Yeah, there are some misspellings in it (I attributed them to transcription errors on my part), but as a whole it makes sense.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

third time's the HRAAAAAAAAAAAAALF

Boll Weevil posted:

Just looking at it the 3 letters that look like "Aun" (A without the dot) is "THE". That would make the O or box equal to "N".

I got BMM... as well. But yeah, different key.
VVVV

What about the two letter word with the "U" in it? That would make it some two letter word which ends with "h". Only thing I can think of is "eh" which isn't really a word.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

could also be a freemason cypher, which is similar to pigpen

though it still doesn't work

edit:

letter frequency chart for normal English

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

bonne chance posted:

The second line is "be sure to drink your ovaltine"

D14BL0
Dec 6, 2006

WE STAND AT THE DOOR

bonne chance posted:

OP, you said you deciphered it, is it any more coherent past the first line? I presume it says ATTENTIO (sic) MEMBERS.

I saw the same thing on ROT13, as well, but "KEKBERS" didn't make enough sense. But if they used a bad key to translate, that might make sense.

Here's the entire thing:

quote:

NGGRAGIO XRXOREF:
CZRNFR ABGR GUR QNGRF
TVIRN VA MAHE CREFBANZ
PNZRAQNEF. GURFR QER NZZ
CEBFCRPGVIR GVXRI SBE
XBOVWVFNGVBA. ZBH NER
RLCRPGRR GB OEVAT MBHE
NZZBGGRR RDHVCXRAG.
VS GURER VF NAM QBHOG NF
GB JUNG GNFYF MBH FUBHZQ
OR CRESBEXVAT, CZRNFR
PBAGNPG MBHE PBXCBHAQ
ZRNQRE.
GUR SNPVZVGM

So here's the entire thing done through ROT13:

quote:

ATTENTVB KEKBERS: PMEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEA IN ZNUR PERSONAM CAMENDARS. THESE DRE AMM PROSPECTIVE TIKEV FOR KOBIJISATION. MOU ARE EYPECTEE TO BRING ZOUR AMMOTTEE EQUIPKENT. IF THERE IS ANZ DOUBT AS TO WHAT TASLS ZOU SHOUMD BE PERFORKING, PMEASE CONTACT ZOUR COKPOUND MEADER. THE FACIMITZ
It definitely looks like they a bad key, because this looks somewhat readable.

quote:

ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ??? PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOB????????. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ???????? EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT ???? YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY(?)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Almost there.

Also, it's not a "bad" key per se, it's just organized differently than the examples found on the web.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

D14BL0 posted:

I saw the same thing on ROT13, as well, but "KEKBERS" didn't make enough sense. But if they used a bad key to translate, that might make sense.

Here's the entire thing:

So here's the entire thing done through ROT13:

It definitely looks like they a bad key, because this looks somewhat readable.

ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ??? PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOB????????. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ???????? EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT ???? YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY(?)

MOB??= mobilization
AMMOTTEE= [strike]Committee[/strike]- yeah, allotted works a lot better
TASLS= Tasks

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 4, 2007

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

[quote=]
ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ??? PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOB????????. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ???????? EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT TASKS YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY(?)
[/quote]

Thats all I see that can fit there.

Beaten.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

D14BL0 posted:

AMMOTTEE EQUIPKENT

Looks to be "allotted equipment", since whoever wrote this had a problem confusing M's and L's.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

^^^ I think there are a few transcription errors there. Actually, if I use the Freemason cipher, NZZBGGRR is NXXBGGRE, which when ROT13ed becomes ALLOTTED.

Khad posted:

What about the two letter word with the "U" in it? That would make it some two letter word which ends with "h". Only thing I can think of is "eh" which isn't really a word.

I think it is "TO".

Ugh e: f;b

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ALL PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOBILIZATION. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ALLOTTED EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT TASKS YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY(?)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

quote:

From that, I get:

quote:

ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ALL PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOBILIZATION. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ????? EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT TASKS YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY

AMMOTTEE is giving me issues.

e:f,b as well.

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!
ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ALL PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOBILIZATION. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ALLOTTED EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT TASKS YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY(?)

Even decoded, it's pretty cryptic. Also, what the hell is going on here? :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

madprocess posted:

This is what I got as well.

I didn't do ROT13 in my solution, I did it by letter frequency analysis and only noticed afterwards that each letter was transposed.

For example, the non-dot matrix is

NOP
QRS
TUV

So, what do we make of this? Student club? The language is full of military parlance.

Olaf Oleeson
Nov 27, 2007
fuck your yankee blue jeans
It's from Cloverfield.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

Well that doesn't make sense there are no times listed in the message.

I am guessing someone just saw something posted on a board and copied to down poorly in a code and threw it away where your new friend found it.

Cooter Libby
Jul 30, 2004

by angerbot
Welp, that solves that one. Good job everyone!

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.
This is what I get by doing a simple letter substitution, finding the "THE" and going from there, without using frequency or pigpen. There aren't any misspellings, just what the gently caress is ATTENTVB?

quote:

ATTENTVB members: Please note the dates given in your personal calendars. These are all prospective times for mobilisation. You are expected to bring your allotted equipment. If there is any doubt as to what tasks you should be performing, please contact your compound leader.

The Facility.

Edit: beaten because I didn't type faster. :(

Edit #2: Waaaaait... where are you guys getting "Attention" out of 8 letters? Plus the last two letters of the first word are clearly VB. :colbert:

cocteau fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 4, 2007

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Isn't this the part where this "Sally" person is supposed to give us more? That's how these things tend to work.

EDIT: Judging by their spelling of "mobilization", we can probably rule out that this person is American.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

Okay my new guess is Sally is a viral marketer that sent you this same scan that other people probably have seen and this is some viral marketing campaign for something.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

It would sound like any old college outdoor club activity poster if it weren't for "compound" and "The Facility".

quote:

Judging by their spelling of "mobilization", we can probably rule out that this person is American.

OP said she was British? Did she tell you this?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Drone posted:

Isn't this the part where this "Sally" person is supposed to give us more? That's how these things tend to work.

If she has more. I'll try to get her to scour all of Britain's bins for codes.

bonne chance posted:

OP said she was British? Did she tell you this?

She mentioned she was a linguistics student and that she ought to know more about codes, though I don't know how that factors in.

She also said she was in an internet cafe and used "50p" to pay.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

doublepost

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

Carthag posted:

If she has more. I'll try to get her to scour all of Britain's bins for codes.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, did you send the decrypted message back to "Sally" after you found the answer?

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Maybe you inadvertently got contacted by a terrorist handler :tinfoil:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GodofGravity posted:

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, did you send the decrypted message back to "Sally" after you found the answer?

Yes, she was gushing with thank-yous. She also mentioned that it smelled of liniment and that she thought the code was insidious and was hiding something, that was before I decoded it.

Then she suddenly signed off with "seems im on the move. cheers"

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like some uni thing, or perhaps you've been pulled into some viral marketing ploy.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.
Well at least we know google is on the job. I tried googling "Attentvb" and all I got was a link to this thread.

Edit: okay, if you add a dot to the second to last character in the first word, and remove the dot from the last character, and add a backwards L, you get ATTENTION. So maybe there was an error - not a misspelling but a lovely code.

cocteau fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cocteau posted:

Well at least we know google is on the job. I tried googling "Attentvb" and all I got was a link to this thread.

That was fast. I think it may just be poorly encrypted ATTENTIO (faux latin greeting?) or just ATTENTION.

Edit: Exactly. Misplaced dots screw this code up pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Oh you people and your fancy decoders. I just got all excited about writing this all down in my notebook, only to be sadly disappointed when I got gibberish. Seems I need some schooling in basic decoding.

Also, I'm praying to who ever is listening that this ends up being an ARG. They're why I joined SA in the first place...