Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PLEASE read the entire thread before posting to avoid repeating dead theories or working on solutions to problems already solved

• Here's a Timeline wiki if you need a recap of events & clues.
  • An irc channel for live discussion has been set up as well: irc://irc.synirc.org #sara

ORIGINAL OP:

I thought I'd share it, since we've had some pretty fun threads about ciphers before.

A person I've never spoken with before, let's call her "Sally", popped up on my AIM and asked if I was good with codes, and I told her "a little". Then she sent me an image.

(click for big)

She says "sorry its a bit dirty, i pulled it out of the bin" and when pressed, she said "you might say i actively found it rather than passively found it" which I find interesting.

I asked her how she found me, and said that her "ex boyfriend from university knew some fellow off usenet or something, goes by the sn of "[removed]"?? im not sure. i asked my ex (comp sci student) if he knew anyone, and this fellow seemed to know you" - I removed his nickname, cause he's probably not related to this at all, but for those who like to cook up conspiracy theories, he's from Missouri and works in film. I have no idea who he is, aside from googling him. Likewise, Sally is a linguistics student somewhere in England.

Now, I've decoded it (took about half an hour, it's not very complex), but I thought some of you might want a shot at it as well. Who knows, maybe there will be more (Sally said she'd be on the lookout for more).

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 8, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There's a little bit more to it than that, but yeah, the alphabet is pigpen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bonne chance posted:

I ran NGGRAGIO XRXOREF through a ROT13 converter and got ATTENTVB KEKBERS.

Looks like someone hosed their pigpen and spelling up. No wonder it got thrown away.

OP, you said you deciphered it, is it any more coherent past the first line? I presume it is meant to say ATTENTIO (sic) MEMBERS.

Yeah, there are some misspellings in it (I attributed them to transcription errors on my part), but as a whole it makes sense.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Almost there.

Also, it's not a "bad" key per se, it's just organized differently than the examples found on the web.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

madprocess posted:

ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ALL PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOBILIZATION. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ALLOTTED EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT TASKS YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY(?)

This is what I got as well.

I didn't do ROT13 in my solution, I did it by letter frequency analysis and only noticed afterwards that each letter was transposed.

For example, the non-dot matrix is

NOP
QRS
TUV

So, what do we make of this? Student club? The language is full of military parlance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Drone posted:

Isn't this the part where this "Sally" person is supposed to give us more? That's how these things tend to work.

If she has more. I'll try to get her to scour all of Britain's bins for codes.

bonne chance posted:

OP said she was British? Did she tell you this?

She mentioned she was a linguistics student and that she ought to know more about codes, though I don't know how that factors in.

She also said she was in an internet cafe and used "50p" to pay.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

doublepost

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GodofGravity posted:

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, did you send the decrypted message back to "Sally" after you found the answer?

Yes, she was gushing with thank-yous. She also mentioned that it smelled of liniment and that she thought the code was insidious and was hiding something, that was before I decoded it.

Then she suddenly signed off with "seems im on the move. cheers"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cocteau posted:

Well at least we know google is on the job. I tried googling "Attentvb" and all I got was a link to this thread.

That was fast. I think it may just be poorly encrypted ATTENTIO (faux latin greeting?) or just ATTENTION.

Edit: Exactly. Misplaced dots screw this code up pretty bad.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GodofGravity posted:

Maybe its the company Attentio and they're watching us...

https://www.attentio.com

From there homepage:
"Attentio is monitoring and analysing social media such as blogs and discussion forums. Learn how online market intelligence can benefit your business:"

:tinfoil:

fake edit: Also hoping for next goon ARG

That fits pretty well.. "Attentio members" -> "members of Attentio" perhaps?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

D14BL0 posted:

Hold up.
Isn't "Sally" somewhere in Europe, too?

Yeah, England as far as I gather. But there's quite a distance (although maybe not by American standards).

Belgium uses the Euro, which has cents.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KatWithHands posted:

You know, I can see why they were named as a Finalist for that Red Herring Award.

Haha!

I'll let you know if Sally contacts me again. It would be a bit of a bummer if it's just some university club playing spies for christmas.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GodofGravity posted:

If she does, ask her if she cut anything off the original scan of the paper. 1993x2048 is a kind of an odd dimension to scan at.

Oh I scaled it so it would fit on waffleimages. It was originally 2254 x 2316. I can send it to you if you want it.

bonne chance posted:

Does she just have your AIM or your email as well?

Gave her a throwaway email I use for signing up for things as I don't know her.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GodofGravity posted:

Ah ok, probably don't need the full sized version,unless there is something you cut out...

Nah, it was a simple scaling.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bonne chance posted:

Do you ever check it? I want closure, drat it.

Yeah, I check it once in a while. I'll up the frequency now, though.

Edit:
:siren:

Email from person with same surname as "Sally"! With images attached. Gimme a bit to copy and waffle them

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:siren: EMAIL :siren:

Okay, who cares about the pseudonyms. Mostly because I don't want to keep all the names in mind and juggle them. "Sally" is actually called Sara.

quote:

from Edward Northwood <*@googlemail.com>
to MYTHROWAWAY@gmail.com,
date Dec 4, 2007 7:16 PM
subject It seems you might know more than I do
mailed-by googlemail.com

I guess this is a bit weird, but this is probably the only way I can sort things out. So I'll be straight with you.

My name's Edward Northwood, I'm 29 years old, and I'm concerned about my sister.

I haven't seen Sara for over six months now. This is pretty strange. Sara's my younger sister. She got mixed up with a boy over a year ago and I thought it was that. 22 years old, you have to give a woman her space, even if she's moved out into the country and shaved off all of her hair. I met her boyfriend only once, seemed nice, looked a bit like a skinhead.

So, OK, you're saying. What the hell does this have to do with me? Well, it looks like she's been talking to you more than she has her own brother.

Sara emailed me earlier today. It's fairly clear (even to an idiot like me) that something's wrong. Now I'm worried about her. As I said before, you would probably be my best bet. I would really appreciate it if you and anybody else could help me with this. I only ask that you keep me in the loop where possible.

The attached email:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 4 Dec 2007 16:31
Subject: ltns
To: *@gmail.com

hey eddy

Havent seen you for awhile. sorry bro. guess i got caught up in life Eh?? im taking photography Lessons at the moment. pretty Pleased with my work you know, maybe a month ago i wouldnt have known how to work a camera at all! i guess i take after mum inthat respect, haha. ive figured out how to attach some images so it would be cool if you could take a look since youre into this kind of thing. see you when i see you.x sara

MYTHROWAWAY@gmail.com

Attached images:

ohqtvr qbg.JPG

uryvpbcgre.JPG

ng tznvy.JPG

qbg pbz.JPG

6E6F686F626F6B656E343333.JPG

30362F31322F3037474D543131.jpg

Edit: Should I reply? What should I write?!? Is it real? What's going on?

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^^ same size. I hit "download" in gmail ^^^

Oncogene posted:

I don't know what this is exactly but it looks disgusting.

It looks sorta like anatomy, maybe?

KatWithHands posted:

HELP.

I say she's in a cult, now she wants out.

Oh loving hell. Okay should I write Eddy back? I probably should.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GodofGravity posted:

After ROT13'ing the file names you get(in order of appearance):

Budgie Dot
Helicopter
at gmail
dot com
(budgie.helicopter@gmail.com)
Haven't done the pure number file names yet.

The alphanumerica are hex ascii codes

nohoboken433
06/12/07GMT11?

the first was the password to the budgie.helicopter account. I've changed it so some lurker doesn't gently caress my poo poo up.

I'm guessing a mail will arrive at that time/date...

Edit:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KatWithHands posted:

Excellent idea.

When will this time be in relation to right now? Hours, etc.

GMT11 looks like 11 am GMT, which would be 6 am NY time, as far as I can do finger math while still being high on adrenalin. I'm in Denmark, GMT+1.

Cutty posted:

Here's something about Budgie the Helicopter, apparently a cartoon.

edit: wrong link

I vaguely remember that. I think it was on TV here some time ago.

Those images really creep me out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Hello Knud,

Thank you for your swift reply. I was hoping that you'd be able to tell me more, that perhaps she'd been confiding in you, but apparently not. Obviously you can understand my worry. I certainly hope that nothing comes of this and Sara genuinely wanted me to look at her photos! Wishful thinking, perhaps. I would appreciate it if you could keep me updated if she contacts you again.

Cheers,

Edward Northwood

On 05/12/2007, F B <MYTHROWAWAY@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Edward

I'm afraid I'm not going to be very helpful... I only know Sara through a couple of IMs she's sent me. :/

Knud

Edit: should I tell him about the codes in the filenames?

Edit2: Sent this for now:

quote:

Hello Edward,

Naturally. I'm captivated by your and your sister's situation, and will do anything in my power to help you out.

Knud

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cutty posted:

Tell him about the cipher she IMed you first to gauge his reaction.

Sent:

quote:

Edward,

If it's of any use to you, she first contacted me regarding a ciphertext she told me she found in a bin. I helped her decode it, after which she signed off.

It said,
ATTENTION MEMBERS: PLEASE NOTE THE DATES GIVEN IN YOUR PERSONAL CALENDARS. THESE ARE ALL PROSPECTIVE TIMES FOR MOBILIZATION. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING YOUR ALLOTTED EQUIPMENT. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT AS TO WHAT TASKS YOU SHOULD BE PERFORMING, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMPOUND LEADER. THE FACILITY

But I'm afraid I don't know what that is about.

Knud

Hopefully not giving him the creeps if he's actually a real person :)

Valrik posted:

That image wraps pretty seamlessly:

This seems to be a trailhead for an ARG.

Looks like a single digit 6 or 9 distorted a lot (echos vertically, waves horizontally).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Hello Knud,

A concerning message. I really have no clue what it's about, which is probably most frightening of all. Although it probably confirms my suspicions that Sara fell in with the wrong crowd when she left home. Either that or the military!

You said you received a few instant messages from Sara. Did she tell you anything about where she was living, or what she was doing? I'm actually in the midst of moving my mother into a flat just south of London and naturally she wants to know how Sara is doing. What am I to tell her? With this kind of stress I'm sure to get an ulcer sooner or later. I can only hope for now that Sara is safe.

Cheers,

Edward Northwood

quote:

Edward,

She told me she was at an internet cafe, but not where it was. I assume it is in Britain somewhere, as she mentioned using 50p to pay for it, but that's as near as I can get.

By the way, those images are interesting. Did Sara send them to you in that size? I would like to see the full size versions if possible.

Best wishes,
Knud

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Carthag posted:

30362F31322F3037474D543131.jpg

What the hell is this thing?! I've tried googling microscope photos, as that is what it looks like, but I'm not finding anything. Also, the white stuff looks like a fluid, which grosses me out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bonne chance posted:

I think the misspellings were probably because of the message using a variation on the Freemason Cipher, and us using the standard Freemason Cipher. There were letter swappings that were consistent with this.

Yeah, the only error is the spelling of ATTENTVB, which is one misplaced dot from ATTENTIO. If it's a cult, attentio could be a formalized greeting of a sort.

quote:

Knud,

Those were the images that I received. I downloaded them and they were quite small to start off with, so I presume that that is what I sent to you. All I could really offer you is an old picture of Sara, if that would help in any way.

Cheers,

Edward

quote:

Edward,

Who knows, that might help. If it's not too much trouble, I'll take a look. I may know her after all.

Knud

Edit: Northwood in London is "the location of the British Armed Forces Permanent Joint Headquarters (PJHQ) for planning and controlling overseas military operations." :tinfoil:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Knud,

Attached is a picture of Sara. I believe she was 19 or 20 in this photograph.

Cheers,

Edward

size as-is.

quote:

Edward,

No, I don't recognize her, but thanks for trying anyway.

Knud

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cutty posted:

What about the password? Hoboken is a town in New Jersey. There's a train 433 which runs north, I think.

I don't think it's important, since everything else refers to Britain (50p, their mother is moving to south London). I don't remember if gmail makes password suggestions, but hoboken433 looks autogenerated to me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trying to piece together a timeline:

ca. 1984: Sara is born (22 in 2006 or 2007)

ca. 2004: Photo from latest email. Sara is 19-20
(Late?) 2006: Sara gets mixed up with a boy, shaves off hair, moves out into the country. Is 22.
Summer 2007: Sara stops seeing Eddy

Dec. 4, 2007: Sara mails Eddy with photos and embedded "HELP", contacts me on AIM with cipher, Eddy mails me.

There's probably nothing in this line of inquiry. So far the images are the most interesting.

FamilyCircumcision posted:

I don't know what good it does, but if you look, these are all of the same building. The first one is the roof of the fourth one, and the third one is the door to that house. Maybe there's something about this location?

uryvpbcgre.JPG looks like it could be the view from the door towards a board fence.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cochise posted:

the first picture is an off center cross(Nordic Cross) similar to the flags of Finland, Denmark, Sweden and many other european nations as well as the old Royal Navy signaling flags

Verdafolio posted:

efb: That is what I get for answering a friend's question about Java.

Anyone else see a flag? Of course it could be a flag for anyplace in Europe that has that cross design. Perhaps it is a flag for a specific city or town.

In that case, it's closest to Sweden, which has yellow-on-blue. I don't know of any with a black cross, but I'll try to look them up.

Edit: Lots of images: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Cross_Flag

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I would really really like to identify the Jupiter picture. I tried looking at the Voyager shots, which are the first that I know of, but I didn't see anything. Do we have any astronomy buffs here?

Edit: :siren: EMAIL :siren:

quote:

Knud,

I just received a very distressed phone call from my mother. I'll be taking the bus over to her flat. If you hear of anything, please email me, but in all likelihood I won't manage a reply until later tonight, or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Edward

quote:

Edward,

Okay, take care! Hope everything is alright...

Knud

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cochise posted:

see if you can get any more information on the cult or orgnistation the boyfriend was involved with.

I'll try.

Man, my roommates are cooking dinner and I'm starving. I should get some as well, it's killing me. I'm keeping Mail.app open though with sound up, so I'll let you know if any mails dump in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That looks plausible. I wish the images were larger.

Also, to the guy who just sent an email to the budgie email half an hour ago, knock it off or I'll post your email address for all to see.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KatWithHands posted:

Alright, and I'm back, and... good work on the photos, everyone.

Carthag, have you tried getting this brother on messenger? I think you should, it'd be easier for us to request info that way.

I'll try asking him next time I get ahold of him. I don't wanna add him outright.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Doctor Fatty posted:

Hey Carthag, can we get some :siren:s around your future email posts? It just helps everyone find the "first party" information faster. It always sucks when you're 15 pages in and everyone is referencing that one post that you can't seem to find.

Sure. I'll go back and edit as well, before the thread gets too big.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KatWithHands posted:

I don't know, it kind of does. Like a thick glove finger, except really, really stiff and symmetrical. But the seam going up the side, assuming that isn't just a smudge, makes me think a case. Like a case for glasses, only of an unknown size.

Edit: Nevermind, the seam-thing goes away when I click for full-size. But what about a number being burned into something? My brother thinks it looks like a six or nine burned into an armrest.

I think the "bendy"-ness is due to the distortion. Looking closely at the numeral in the tiled image Valrik made, it looks like the whole image is transformed along a sine function on the vertical axis.

It has then been echo'ed over itself. The black line we see is the edge of the image.

Edit: Is that a crease along the center? Oh poo poo, I think it's a bank note. The colors and the way they appear are totally European money-like.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 5, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

New post, because: :siren: EMAIL :siren:

quote:

Knud,

My mother called me in some state of distress, so I went to visit her. Apparently the daily brought the mail in, along with this. I'm not sure what I should say to her; for sure, they are very alarming. Sara is in both photos, though I've never seen the young man. I'm not sure I want to contact the police over this, simply because it seems trivial. Well - not trivial to me, but how does one explain to a police officer that your 22 year old sister who left home on her own terms and has been in contact with me is in trouble? Perhaps for now it is best to keep it between you and me and not involve the constabulary. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Edward

These are larger, click for big.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tongsy posted:

Wow, that last email is pretty intense.

I really hope this isn't some elaborate hoax

Well I do, because if not, some young girl really is in trouble.

Drafting a reply to Eddy.

quote:

Edward,

Thank you for keeping me up to date on the situation. I can't say I'm not disturbed. I agree it would be wise to await further clues before doing anything drastic.

Knud

Anything I should add/remove at this point?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Valrik posted:

Ask him if Budgie the helicopter means anything to him. Don't mention it's an email address, just see how he reacts.

Trying to think of a way to bring it up without giving too much away. We still don't know if he's on "our" side.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Replied,

quote:

Edward,

Thank you for keeping me up to date on the situation. I can't say I'm not disturbed. I agree it would be wise to await further clues before doing anything drastic.

Does Budgie the Helicopter mean anything to you? Sara mentioned it in passing in her IMs, and I figure everything might be important in this case.

In that vein, where is the letter postmarked?

Knud

I figure a little white lie (about Budgie) won't give away too much.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

UnctuousSerendipity posted:

They could be photos from a while ago (pre shaved head). Is the guy in the picture her ex boyfriend?

Eddy doesn't know him, but he mentioned the boy she moved to the country with had a shaved head, not that that means much. Could be them both from before the head shaving or a different guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Knud,

It's no problem. The local police station is sending a car past my mother's flat every hour or so, and it seems I am staying here for the night. I've told them about the "threats" we received, but little else. It is rather disturbing.

Budgie the Little Helicopter was a British kid's TV show that was on in the mid-90's, I think. The Duchess of York wrote it. I would have been 17 at the time, Sara about 10. I suppose I vaguely remember it airing, quite childish but then again it was aimed at six year olds. Funny that she should mention it, I can't think of a reason as to why she would.

The letter was postmarked London.

Cheers,

Edward