Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What the hell? A reasonable price for a gamble of a rolling car? Ran when parked of course, but no "no lowballers I know what I got"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

agreed but I wasn't sure where else to put it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Assuming its not completely rotted out is that a bad price?

(probably dependent on how many parts are missing?)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

Assuming its not completely rotted out is that a bad price?

(probably dependent on how many parts are missing?)

That's as low as you'll ever find in 2020. It's priced just above scrap value so it won't go direct to the crusher, but it's clear the seller just wants their garage space open. $1,500 would be reasonable as a base for a complete project

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

taqueso posted:

agreed but I wasn't sure where else to put it

I think when this thread was started during the W Bush admin we used to post good and bad.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Like this car, and it's definitely rare nowadays (especially in this condition) but don't $15K like.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1989-cougar-xr7-for-sale/1500007693

8,000KM 1989 Supercharged XR7

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 24, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I haven't seen one of those in ages, which almost guarantees I'll see one soon. I probably just forgot to notice them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

StormDrain posted:

I think when this thread was started during the W Bush admin we used to post good and bad.

The good stuff is the best part

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Snowy posted:

The good stuff is the best part

And those rare gems are always a nice break from the usual AH NO WHUT I GOT ads.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
i'd really like a fox body but in my city, 4th largest in the us, there is one listing (modded) for 18000 dollars. This is loving stupid and there's a ton of better used cars i could buy for 10k

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

StormDrain posted:

I haven't seen one of those in ages, which almost guarantees I'll see one soon. I probably just forgot to notice them.

They're actually pretty loving rare you probably straight up haven't seen one, unlike the Super Coupe they only lasted 2 years. For 91 it got the 5.0 HO instead and then Mercury just gave up on XR7 as a performance trim at all.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I like the MN12 cars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They were basically a working mans, American E31 8 series. Even accounting for the inevitably worse build quality, they were awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i always thought of them as a working mans e24 but same deal basically

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My dream was Foxbody Mustang + Griggs double wishbone front suspension kit + terminator IRS.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Frond posted:

I like the MN12 cars.

My first new car was a '91 T-bird, with the 5.0 that was optional that year. It was a nice looking car, sleek in metallic Electric Red, with a good ride and smooth (if not fast) V8, RWD performance. In almost every other way, it was lovely. Weak, non-ABS brakes (drums in the rear). Right off the bat I had problems with the paint peeling from the bumpers, the air conditioning failed every 6-12 months, and the AOD transmission got really lurchy at about 12,000 miles. The interior dash and door panels had awful hard plastics with crazy gaps, and tons of rattles and squeaks. It was kept covered or garaged, but after 3-4 years the black trimwork was fading and bubbling. It put me off Fords for 20 years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is a supercharged XR7 with a factory 5spd near me and it loving kills me the car is certainly a basket case.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/supercharged-cougar/1503421475

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Number_6 posted:

My first new car was a '91 T-bird, with the 5.0 that was optional that year. It was a nice looking car, sleek in metallic Electric Red, with a good ride and smooth (if not fast) V8, RWD performance. In almost every other way, it was lovely. Weak, non-ABS brakes (drums in the rear). Right off the bat I had problems with the paint peeling from the bumpers, the air conditioning failed every 6-12 months, and the AOD transmission got really lurchy at about 12,000 miles. The interior dash and door panels had awful hard plastics with crazy gaps, and tons of rattles and squeaks. It was kept covered or garaged, but after 3-4 years the black trimwork was fading and bubbling. It put me off Fords for 20 years.

My first car was a '92 Mustang with the lovely 4cyl. I too, liked the way it looked and it was only 3 years old. The performance was laughably bad and the transmission destroyed itself shortly after the warranty was up. Surprisingly, that didn't put me off of Fords and in 1997 or so, I got a 1992 Taurus. That disaster put me off ever owning a Ford again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I had a thing for 5-speed Superbirds of that era.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I had a '97 Thunderbird - last year of MN12s. While not being a Great Car, man it was a great car. Not much on power but it drove like a smaller car than it was. Always dreamed of a Terminator swap but it never materialized past a dream.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I owned an '88 GT for awhile and it served me well, made it to Mardi Gras and back and I could get the tail loose whenever I wanted to it was a fun car

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I've always wanted a Mark VII LSC with a manual conversion. A literal Hot Rod Lincoln. It's a longer Mustang GT with leather.
You can even lower them easily by moving the air suspension sensors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cacafuego posted:

My first car was a '92 Mustang with the lovely 4cyl. I too, liked the way it looked and it was only 3 years old. The performance was laughably bad and the transmission destroyed itself shortly after the warranty was up. Surprisingly, that didn't put me off of Fords and in 1997 or so, I got a 1992 Taurus. That disaster put me off ever owning a Ford again.

The 91-92 AXODE might be the worst transmission never built by Chrysler.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

I've always wanted a Mark VII LSC with a manual conversion. A literal Hot Rod Lincoln. It's a longer Mustang GT with leather.
You can even lower them easily by moving the air suspension sensors.

I think the pinnacle was the Mark VIII.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Colostomy Bag posted:

And the pinnacle of that is the one that the bros at SVT built and took to Bonneville.

Edit: Now that I'm not on my phone, I'm taking about this one: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/04/24/that-time-lincoln-built-a-land-speed-mark-viii-and-set-a-182-mph-record-at-bonneville

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 27, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i'm weird and love the mark VII facelift

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is this thing cool? It looks pretty cool. I had a 1980 Nissan pickup that was good if a little weak. Does 1979 mean it is a B310 but labelled 210 for the NA market?

https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/cto/d/miles-city-1979-datsun-nissan/7145778417.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Photo of the production date shows it as a 77, not sure with the ad showing as a 79? I think the 79 had square headlights too.

Definitely a car that would make me do a double take. I'm intrigued by the big premium fuel sticker. Not sure what the deal with that is?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

slidebite posted:

I'm intrigued by the big premium fuel sticker. Not sure what the deal with that is?

I noticed that too, maybe an aggressive carb tune or timing by the PO?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

The 91-92 AXODE might be the worst transmission never built by Chrysler.

Agreed, but I’d extend it to the entire transmission family. That thing was an abomination that should have been smothered in its crib.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I wonder what the worst is? My vote is for the Ford CD4E.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

early JATCO CVT?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

early JATCO CVT?

Eh, nice choice. Was in the Justy right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

early JATCO CVT?

The Audi Multitronic CVT used in the early B/C6.

It was a CVT made by Audi. :eng99:

It was supposed to revolutionize CVTs by replacing the torque converter with a series of multiplate clutches.

For unknown reasons VAG no longer uses CVTs in any of its vehicles.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

IMO bringing up a CVT is cheating.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

IMO bringing up a CVT is cheating.

Yeah it's probably not fair.

Ill throw in another Subaru / JATCO turd - the 4EAT.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

The Audi Multitronic CVT used in the early B/C6.

It was a CVT made by Audi. :eng99:

It was supposed to revolutionize CVTs by replacing the torque converter with a series of multiplate clutches.

For unknown reasons VAG no longer uses CVTs in any of its vehicles.
I think that’s the one where the marketing people got them to added “shift points” so it felt like a “regular” automatic and the engineers were really mad about it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think that’s the one where the marketing people got them to added “shift points” so it felt like a “regular” automatic and the engineers were really mad about it.

I mean...I drive a '16 Corolla Sport Edition - which lets you paddle-shift your way through the CVT range. Why bother with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

The Mark VIII is OK, but I like the looks of the VII.
The VIII is definitely a better performer with the 32V 4.6, and probably comfier with the IRS. I wouldn't refuse it if given one.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i'm weird and love the mark VII facelift

I am weird with you.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And the pinnacle of that is the one that the bros at SVT built and took to Bonneville.

Edit: Now that I'm not on my phone, I'm taking about this one: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/04/24/that-time-lincoln-built-a-land-speed-mark-viii-and-set-a-182-mph-record-at-bonneville

That's definitely cool.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah it's probably not fair.

Ill throw in another Subaru / JATCO turd - the 4EAT.

Isn't that the squishy thing that's in my Outback?

edit: Eeeeeyup. :ohdear: