Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

its dumb as hell because you shouldnt touch your retirement unless it's an actual emergency

Well, yeah, that's certainly true. When I did it years ago it was for medical bills, or something, and only like $1000 that I didn't have right that second, and no credit.
Some here could construe a car purchase as an emergency, depending on the car and the price, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Lets just crowd fund a cash purchase and split the profits.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

giundy posted:

Lets just crowd fund a cash purchase and split the profits.

Fake Harvey fundraising is the way to go. You could then donate that and the profits.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BraveUlysses posted:

its dumb as hell because you shouldnt touch your retirement unless it's an actual emergency

:frogout: This isn't automotive sanity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I just noticed it's page 671, so:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/supercharged-23-bucket/6242438547.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/d/big-block-chevy-dyers-6-71/6270363865.html

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/d/1941-blown-willys-pickup/6271220457.html

I'm bummed that I couldn't find any GMC 6V71s on my local Craigslist.

edit: AHA! It wasn't in cars and trucks:

https://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/hvo/d/cooper-well-service-rig/6257592497.html

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 30, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

That E-type makes me legitimately wonder if I should pull from my 401k and try to flip it. I mean, if I offer them 20k cash, I think they might let it go. They just want the stuff gone.

Can't wait for your next BFC thread!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PCOS Bill posted:

Can't wait for your next BFC thread!

You too can get rich swindling the elderly out of their precious automobiles!

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
Speaking of "barn finds":

http://www.cnn.com/style/article/ferrari-daytona-barn-find/index.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Decided to peruse Detroit CL for some track/race cars. Found something I didn't expect.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/2005-chrysler-crossfire-track/6257126671.html

Fun bits posted:

I am selling my 2005 Chrysler Crossfire, V6, 6 Speed manual. I've put a lot of custom work into this car, and its a autocross/track purpose build (has not seen the track yet). The car has 96K Miles on it with ZERO rust. It originally came from Florida, and is now in Michigan. It has never seen winter/snow in its entire life. The car is very reliable and is prepped and ready for the track and for more custom modifications to your liking. I am sad to see her go because of the blood, sweat and tears I've put into this car and making it a track car, but I recently blew up my daily driver (Audi A4), and I have to rebuild it because I still have a loan out on that car. So, I have to sell my baby to pay for the rebuild on my Audi.

Check Engine Light just came on from the Custom Oil Cooler Setup, nothing to worry about. (I may remove the oil cooler, but I have a video on how to install one if you ever want to do it again.)

ABS light is on because the ABS was disabled; But you can't feel a difference with it on or off. You can get the ABS back on with a new fuse and putting the stock steering wheel back on. (ABS is not a necessity for track cars).

List of Mods:
Bumper Quick Release
Custom Oil Cooler Setup (Might Possibly Remove)
H&R 30mm Spacers (Front)
Custom 40mm Spacers (Rear)
Carbon Fiber Wrapped Hood
Custom Dual Gauge Pod (with Vacuum Gauge)
Crown Royal Shift Boot
Green Underdash Lights

:lol: Don't even know where to start with this.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Larrymer posted:

Decided to peruse Detroit CL for some track/race cars. Found something I didn't expect.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/2005-chrysler-crossfire-track/6257126671.html

:lol: Don't even know where to start with this.

How would an oil cooler cause a CEL? it doesn't and something else is hosed up

I'll bet it's fun with the scrub radius all hosed up like that too

At least his price isn't too ridiculous.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

40mm spacers loving hell

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

i own every Bionicle posted:

How would an oil cooler cause a CEL? it doesn't and something else is hosed up

Yuuuuuuup. That thing is a train wreck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

40mm spacers loving hell

It isn't any wider, so i'd imagine its just to make up for the wheels being the wrong offset.

A quick google search tells me that with a 19x9 on the crossfire, the rears are +22 offset which is crazy low for a modern car.

The merc E-class those were probably made for would have +40 offset, with the same bolt pattern.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-focus/6255910414.html

"to much to list" = Block of cheese + wing, $5000 pls.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I know you can autocross or track basically anything if you want but the Crossfire is a very weird choice for a "purpose-build" competition vehicle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spouse posted:

Ten years ago I'd have thought this was the coolest poo poo ever.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Human Grand Prix posted:

I know you can autocross or track basically anything if you want but the Crossfire is a very weird choice for a "purpose-build" competition vehicle.

You might say he got caught up in the ... CROSSFIRE.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't think it was a choice so much as a "welp, too hosed up for the street, must be track car? :shrug:"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I wonder which would be less reliable. Chrysler or Audi?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Rhyno posted:

Ten years ago I'd have thought this was the coolest poo poo ever.

It looks like it was just shrink wrapped in yellow over the tail lights and stuff.

I want to see a top gear style challenge where hosts buy complete cars in this vein (like, no half-done projects, stuff that is actually finished and driving, just really poorly thought out) and drive them around as body parts fall off and stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
There are always a couple of dudes that show up to cars and coffee with Crossfires. It's fine and they are welcome but lol they are perfect physical representations of everything wrong with US auto manufacturing at the time. I bet they hang out with SSR owners.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spouse posted:

I'm the roll bar in a car that will never be able to go fast enough to need one. Ditto for the wing.

KakerMix posted:

There are always a couple of dudes that show up to cars and coffee with Crossfires. It's fine and they are welcome but lol they are perfect physical representations of everything wrong with US auto manufacturing at the time. I bet they hang out with SSR owners.

Harsh, man. At least the SSR is an American V8.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

wesleywillis posted:

I wonder which would be less reliable. Chrysler or Audi?

The Crossfire was a last gen Mercedes SLK, built in Germany. The R170 SLK was by all accounts a very reliable and well built vehicle. The AMG versions were quite fast too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

I'm the roll bar in a car that will never be able to go fast enough to need one. Ditto for the wing.

Harsh, man. At least the SSR is an American V8.

Are American V8s somehow rare? All SSRs could disappear along with all the H2s and nothing would be lost besides very easy to mock targets.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

i own every Bionicle posted:

It looks like it was just shrink wrapped in yellow over the tail lights and stuff.

Tail lights are on the pillars.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

KakerMix posted:

Are American V8s somehow rare? All SSRs could disappear along with all the H2s and nothing would be lost besides very easy to mock targets.

Add that weird rear end plymouth roadster thing to that list.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
What about the last gen Thunderturd retromobile?

I'm sure there were tons of Allante trade-ins for that when it came out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Octopus Magic posted:

What about the last gen Thunderturd retromobile?

I'm sure there were tons of Allante trade-ins for that when it came out.

An older woman I met once talked about how she bought the anniversary edition of one of those and how she 'got a great deal' and 'will be worth more than what I bought it for later'. Jury still out I guess but you can't predict what will be worth more later when the car is new usually. Especially a Ford coupe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How many cars (from "regular" manufacturers) in the last 20 years have either held steady or increased from launch-year MSRP? All I can think of is the Ford GT and the R35 GTR.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

IOwnCalculus posted:

How many cars (from "regular" manufacturers) in the last 20 years have either held steady or increased from launch-year MSRP? All I can think of is the Ford GT and the R35 GTR.

The gt dropped for awhile i thought. The bugatti veryon and p1 i think both claimed it as a selling point.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
1M

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Hatchback wrx?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Hatchback wrx?

They may be desirable but they sure as poo poo ain't selling for original MSRP.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

M1

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
A80 Supras and NSXs have climbed pretty hard lately. NSX I understand, Supra less so.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DogonCrook posted:

The gt dropped for awhile i thought. The bugatti veryon and p1 i think both claimed it as a selling point.

It may have but they're selling for 2x MSRP now, 10+ years later.

My point is that the vast majority of cars people buy and park as "investments" have not panned out as such. Even if you go further back to get cars like the GNX, the only way one of those has made any significant ROI is if you bought it new and kept it in climate-controlled storage with under a hundred miles ever driven on it. The GT and R35 both appreciated, even for non-museum-quality examples. The Thunderbird? Nope.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The R35 has appreciated? I mean I can kind of believe that the depreciation was slowed a bit by the rapidly rising MSRP of the later models but I would have to see some serious evidence to believe that they are actually worth more than they were new. THe newer ones were more expensive but also had more power and other improvements.

Non 996 Porsche 911s have gained in value I think, especially GT3 and other desirable trims.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The 996 GT3 is finally starting to go up in value. Such a great car, and not long ago you could get one in the 40's. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

An older woman I met once talked about how she bought the anniversary edition of one of those and how she 'got a great deal' and 'will be worth more than what I bought it for later'. Jury still out I guess but you can't predict what will be worth more later when the car is new usually. Especially a Ford coupe.

They haven't gone up, but they have held onto their value pretty well.

in checking what they're worth i found this, so uhhh.....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708321049/overview/

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Powershift posted:

They haven't gone up, but they have held onto their value pretty well.

in checking what they're worth i found this, so uhhh.....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708321049/overview/

e:

I can dig it.