Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

My first car was a 74 super beetle with a stick shift and no clutch petal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

That's the one. It just wouldn't fit into the "count the pedals" criteria for the craigslist fix for sellers not knowing what auto/manual transmissions are.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

It is impossible to find a not-hosed-with Suzuki Samurai that hasn't been beat to poo poo. I have a feeling if I do find one it's going to be north of 8k considering what a bunch of bozos with their ultra-lifted mudder-tire-equipped diamond-plate-cladded garbage goes for on craigslist. It's so bad that I'm looking to just import a Jimny instead.

EDIT
And why do so many of them have rotary swaps?

I put some serious consideration into buying this yesterday. I, too, am on the hunt for a unicorn Samurai.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

WILD WIND

God drat that thing is cool.

Yup! And 841 miles on the clock. I mean, God drat!. I don't have $7 grand sitting in the gently caress around fund at the moment and decided financing what is essentially a cool toy was not a thing to do. And besides, would a bank even entertain the idea of giving a guy thousands of dollars to buy a 26 year old Suzuki?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

They have have a frickin mini truck section, why did you show me this amazing site?

I know, right? I said the same thing when someone in AI posted a link yesterday.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You have unleashed something here friend, the Samurai is for my wife so now she's all about the various Jimnys they have for sale.
Going to become a 3 car household with two of them being old kei cars.

Sweet! Also, this was posted in the AI Awesome Car stuff thread in past day or two which led me to looking at the Duncan stuff. I'm 100% certain I'm going to buy something from the man in the next year or two, but I'm also 100% certain I'm going to take a look at his private collection assuming he's not inundated by requests and shuts down access.

e: Please don't blame me. Blame Rhyno. He posted the link that led me to that Jimmy. He's the guilty party, and who I'm going to blame when I show up explaining to my wife why I bought a Super Boy and a Nissan Pao.

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

Wheeler Dealers is such a good show. Granted I generally skip the buying/selling portions to watch Edd rebuild poo poo, but it's refreshing to see a mechanic show that doesn't involve fat bearded guys yelling at each other or "this car could break the shop if we don't get it done in two days."

My wife and I discovered the show when we got Playstation vue and got a free trial upgrade to their top teir package a few months ago. Edd is fantastic about explaining poo poo and what does what and how it functions. He was working on a choke on something and my wife asks what a choke does, and before I could answer, Edd explains it. Our free trial ended a week or so back, and now I'm paying functionally $15/month more just for velocity. My wife insisted because she couldn't live without Wheeler Dealers. Great show for two people who love cars but have never done anything more difficult than brakes, fluids, and bolt on poo poo like alternators. Sure makes us want to learn (and wrench) more.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Meydey posted:

This post made me go to that drat Japanese Classics import site...again.

Guilty.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Old British cars are ~universally~ terrible yet people still drive them.

Nobody drives them. I was told I could take my old man's tr3 to my prom. That was in 2001. He's still trying to make it run.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

But he still has it :unsmith:

Yup :unsmith: I'll drive that triumph one day

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Octopus Magic posted:

Someone had a hardon for louvers. Barf.

Does your dad know how to hold a screwdriver or what?

One of the things about old British cars is that they are dead stupid to work on. An underpowered push-rod 4 cylinder that they pulled out of a tractor and an extremely basic electrical system makes troubleshooting more or less pretty easy if you spend any time, or compare it to anything that's modern. Moss Motors basically gives away parts.

Honestly it's still in a garage because his body work guy is trying to...I have no idea. It's mechanically fine as far as I know, but the engine and trans sits aside while the frame sits primered. Maybe something about the interior? It's been years since I've asked him about it. His body work guy is my body work guy and generally works quickly.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sup May buddys?
I'm getting geared up to move.
Just took a small load of stuff over to the in-laws, I bought a used Wii U on ebay (because there aren't any games for the switch yet), and I'm making strides on getting this CB400 running so I can ship out to a fellow goon on the opposite side of the country.

I'm also looking to get a trailer so I don't have to pay someone to move me. I think taking a load of stuff up with us every time we visit the wife's parents is much more preferred than paying someone to gently caress up my walls and furniture again. Also I'd get a trailer out of it so that's good.

You guys have any recommendations on trailers? Brands?

Also, my buddy got robbed yesterday at gunpoint in Minneapolis, which prompted him to ask me which gun to get.
He's fully aware that carrying, likely wouldn't have prevented what happened, nor would he even have brought his gun in this case anyway since he was flying carry-on only. No-the-less it's a reminder that he wants a gun.
He wants a .380 for conceal. I recommended the Glock 42 and Ruger LCP. You all have any other suggestions?
I tried to get him to get a Kimber but I think he's on a budget of <$500

Don't know if you're in the right thread, but Smith and wesson bodyguard .380s are coming with a rebate that makes em really desirable for the price (e: $199 after $50 rebate). Not a big fan of the lcp (I own one). Heard good things about the glock, too.

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 8, 2017

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Holy poo poo. My first car was a '71 Squareback. Loved that thing.

My first car was a 74 Super Beetle. I just bought a beetle project car on craigslist to rebuild with my wife as our first foray into wrenching on stuff in earnest. We also purchased the neighboring property because we don't have a garage in which to work on it and it does. It wasn't done in haste, but people floating "open marriages" might have a better success rate. It will invariably end in divorce or murder. May God have mercy on our souls.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Huh. That's my area code. I'd be inclined to look at it for the sheer novelty, but who knows when I'd have time. Sure dont have the money since I've already got a project car.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

dk2m posted:

I...I kinda like this. It's like an answer to a question no one ever asked and i'm intrigued as gently caress

What would it be like if someone else raced you to your grave? Find out as some guy tries to j-turn you into a hole in the ground. No slow precession here! We roar off to your final resting place!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well even if that amount would fly...there are very stiff penalties withdrawing from your 401k.

Shut up, Angel on his shoulder. It's the devil's turn now: any penalties would be paid for easily when you sell that jag. The jag that would be yours to drive for a little bit.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Gomi Day posted:

i am at war with myself, right now.

"I can't afford that," I thought to myself. "Well, you could if you sold the house and just lived in that" was my followup thought.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, but you can live in the thing you just purchased.

edit: Live life a little and post about it on the road.

I'm no-lie trying to get my wife to take up a travel nurse gig so we can travel and see the country while I work on a graduate degree. I don't know if the Unimog would help or hurt the proposal. I mean, I know I'D be fine calling that home for a while but she's more inclined to just pack up and move back east instead :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Our local eccentric millionaire drives nothing but small cars, other than the twice a year he breaks out his first gen turquoise Thunderbird. A couple of years ago he finally got rid of his black Metro 3 door and replaced it with a Smart car. He'd keep a stable of a few of them at a time. His grandson, my friend had a 5 door manual transmission Metro hand-me-down from him as his first car. I loved hooning around in that thing. I have an affinity for small cars myself in so much as my wife hoped I didn't notice a white Geo Storm convertible we saw at the side of the road for sale last weekend. I saw it and as much as I'd like to buy it, the gently caress am I going to do with a Storm convertible when I've got no place to put it? And I can't imagine those rising in price unless we've got another major spike in oil prices. I'm sure there will be some Storms and Metros kicking around for when I've got the space.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

IIRC, the X5 and X3 had manual transmission as a no-cost option. The only thing I'd change about the used X3 we picked up recently is adding a manual transmission.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Parkersburg was absolutely flattened by an EF5 tornado in 2008.

Given that it has been parked since 1968, I'd market it to the weirdo survival types by including this photo saying:

"It survived this. Any questions :smug:"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

Guessing student who doesn't know how liens work.

And it's been sitting for a couple of years, which begs the question, has he been making payments on a broken car for the last 24 months, or did he take out a note on a busted-rear end car?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I actually took the time to check on KBB for market price since the seller is claiming $10,500 was "below market value." I know utility vans have, well, utility, but private party for an extended e250 is 7-9k. you apparently CAN put a price on the priceless

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

No, facebook will just deny prices, but won't tell you why or how far beyond whatever limit they have your attempted price is. It will just error out. It's dumb as hell and will attempt to pull information and auto set options depending on what you put down without any input from you.

On Craigslist it was because people were assholes, on facebook it's because facebook is a poo poo.

that explains it. i am now my company's social media poster guy, so ive been on Facebook daily for a few months now. i never hosed with marketplace (or fb for that matter) before getting drafted and the fake prices were driving me nuts.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Krakkles posted:

My grandmother had one when I was ~8, I thought it was pretty cool

your grandmother rules/ruled

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm only posting this because I'm hoping someone else buys it before I do.

Someone from AI needs to own this. goodness gracious

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

User Error posted:

Holy smokes I wish I had room/time/any justification

not nearly as cool, but i just sold my cousin's kid my awd Matrix for a song and miss it already. the old gal had 175k miles on it and never gave me an issue beyond basic fluids/tires/belts/etc in the 75k miles i had it

Senor P. posted:

I saw this the other day...

https://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/d/oak-harbor-triumph-tr3a/7377503378.html

I have to say looking at these (online) they look great in red...

It could be a fun weekend high way car.

Great memories! My step-dad has a Triumph TR3 and he promised me I could take it to prom. Unfortunately it wasn't ready, and it is still in the garage waiting to be finished

i graduated in 2001

I hope to drive it before I inherit it and I have to finish lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i want to know who kept an element that clean and low milage :psyduck:

but yeah, that's a crazy price. i have a work buddy that traded in his 04 element for a newer fit AND bought a house in the same month, just before both markets went bananas.