Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hnffff.

Honestly, this thing is perfect as is. Especially with the Rallye IIs.

Maybe get a gently damaged original grille with a few slats missing or something.

Thanks. It's certainly less stressful to drive as-is. If it were perfect I'd be deathly afraid of some chucklefuck plowing into it.
FWIW, I have the original grills - they need the lips the hook under the bumper fixed, but the slats are all there. The front bumper is slightly tweaked (pushed in at the tip, which of course twists the ends.) It's also not that low in the front any more - the picture with the TT IIs is current as far as that goes - the Edelbrock springs were too soft/short for the Olds - probably fine for a small-block Chevelle without AC. The crossmember is 3" off the ground there, and the springs were soft enough to let it smack everything. I got Hotchkis springs specifically gauged for a small-block Cutlass with AC. The rears are still from the Edelbrock kit. I need to fix the transmission, seal up the windows (water intrusion!), and then do some interior work. Also, you;ll notice that the pics don't show the passenger side, and the rear quarter replacement that's needed due to an altercation with a K5 Blazer on Loop 12 near the old Cowboys Stadium. Have parts car, need space and plasma cutter.

edit: here, have a couple galleries. Please forgive the early photos - they're actual photos, scanned long ago. I need to dig them out and rescan.
http://wright-here.net/cars/olds/snoopy_pics.html
http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/olds/?g2_page=1

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

It's going to be matte black (because I have no talent or access to quality painters. "Hot Rod" black, I can spray outside). Will that do? Original color is silver, BTW, but it was (cheap - think Earl Scheib) gloss black when I got it.
Oh, and that window has been reinstalled since the picture was taken. It was out to figure out replacement weatherstripping, as there's no ready-made catalog item for that particular window.

Well, yes. What you can't see is the peeling chrome on those wheels. I'm going to have to figure out how to strip them, and then paint and polish them. $400 with 80% Nexen 275/40-17s several years ago at a swap meet. Sadly, it's been sitting for so long, the tires are starting to dry rot.

edit: it also looked pretty good with mid-70s Olds Rallye IIs with no trim rings:

i want to go be a cool gangster in your :krad: car

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

edit: it also looked pretty good with mid-70s Olds Rallye IIs with no trim rings:

Goddamn do those wheels look good as hell. Personal taste and all that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bud K ninja sword posted:

i want to go be a cool gangster in your :krad: car

You understand me and my car.
I guess maybe I should post all this over in the post your car thread. I think I did once before, but it's been a while.

edit:

KakerMix posted:

Goddamn do those wheels look good as hell. Personal taste and all that.

You know, looking through the old pics, I'm starting to agree. Maybe the aftermarket version in a bit larger, or at least wider, version (those are 15x7, BTW.)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Indeed. Looks good low, too.

So I guess the Cutlass had significant body differences to the rest of the A-bodies? Because looking at it, I'd say that with a non-squared-off quarter window and also smoker/vent windows, it has to be a 1968 (because 1969 got rid of the vent windows, and 1970 squared off the back of the quarter windows), but that's a 1970, right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^^ Reminds me of the General Mayhem which is a very good thing

BigPaddy posted:

The fact I could go buy a similar car at an auction that Richard Rawlings had his group of bodgers throw together in a cloud of fake Discovery Channel drama for half of that is what amuses me.

Same thing I was thinking. They completely resto-modded a El Camino with brand new poo poo, it looked amazing and it sold for like 70k, I thought it was a good deal for what they put into it. They could have done that car for probably 100k or less.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Darchangel posted:

Thanks. It's certainly less stressful to drive as-is. If it were perfect I'd be deathly afraid of some chucklefuck plowing into it.

Smooth out the bumps and wrap it. You'd have almost the same level of peace of mind.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Oh god, In my dreams I see THAT CAR just ripping rear end through a schoolyard at recess, with Death behind the wheel laughing. It wants to kill

Edit: Parked on Slaughter Ln, nice

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 22, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5975994497.html

Anyone local to this? Seriously considering buying it but would hate to do a fly-n-drive if the thing ends up being a rust bucket.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm confused about the convertible part.

Did the removable top come from factory?

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 22, 2017

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

At first glance I was sure someone had chopped a VW Fox wagon into a convertible pickup.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pretty sure it was a rare factory option but I can't find much info on it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I know a few years of dakotas in this time period had a factory convertible option, so its possible it was factory!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
It is impossible to find a not-hosed-with Suzuki Samurai that hasn't been beat to poo poo. I have a feeling if I do find one it's going to be north of 8k considering what a bunch of bozos with their ultra-lifted mudder-tire-equipped diamond-plate-cladded garbage goes for on craigslist. It's so bad that I'm looking to just import a Jimny instead.

EDIT
And why do so many of them have rotary swaps?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6015036466.html

i'll post screenies when we get forum software that supports easy image uploading or c/p

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

It is impossible to find a not-hosed-with Suzuki Samurai that hasn't been beat to poo poo. I have a feeling if I do find one it's going to be north of 8k considering what a bunch of bozos with their ultra-lifted mudder-tire-equipped diamond-plate-cladded garbage goes for on craigslist. It's so bad that I'm looking to just import a Jimny instead.

EDIT

Free zero compression rotaries found in dumpsters?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

blk posted:

i'll post screenies when we get forum software that supports easy image uploading or c/p
Yo my man if you load up snipping tool you can make a super easy image with literally 3 clicks. After copying the image (included in the 3 clicks) load up imgur.com and hit ctrl+v on your keyboard.

Thats a minimum of 4 clicks and two keys on your keyboard. :cmon:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

blk posted:

Here you go

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

EDIT

Puerto Rico.

Also Sammies seem to be pretty common here in this part of California, I almost bought a pair for $2500 and both had somewhat low miles, one hardtop and one softop.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

KakerMix posted:

EDIT

I put some serious consideration into buying this yesterday. I, too, am on the hunt for a unicorn Samurai.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

WILD WIND

God drat that thing is cool.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

WILD WIND

God drat that thing is cool.

Yup! And 841 miles on the clock. I mean, God drat!. I don't have $7 grand sitting in the gently caress around fund at the moment and decided financing what is essentially a cool toy was not a thing to do. And besides, would a bank even entertain the idea of giving a guy thousands of dollars to buy a 26 year old Suzuki?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

They have have a frickin mini truck section, why did you show me this amazing site? Though all the cool Datsun trucks and stuff I'd want are "Private collection not for sale"

Eat This Glob posted:

Yup! And 841 miles on the clock. I mean, God drat!. I don't have $7 grand sitting in the gently caress around fund at the moment and decided financing what is essentially a cool toy was not a thing to do. And besides, would a bank even entertain the idea of giving a guy thousands of dollars to buy a 26 year old Suzuki?
Personal loan, transfer to an auto loan if you want and the rate is better. Thought this is much easier if it's something kbb/edmunds says is worth more than what you're asking for in the loan.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 22, 2017

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

They have have a frickin mini truck section, why did you show me this amazing site?

I know, right? I said the same thing when someone in AI posted a link yesterday.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

You have unleashed something here friend, the Samurai is for my wife so now she's all about the various Jimnys they have for sale.
Going to become a 3 car household with two of them being old kei cars.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
You bastard. What have you done.

http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Renault/1987-Renault-Alpine-134f64840a0e08ba1fcafc80228f049e.htm

Edit: OH MY GOD http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Toyota/1991-Toyota-Crown-988fe91c0a0e08bd35c36db9ef7e06f4.htm

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 22, 2017

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You have unleashed something here friend, the Samurai is for my wife so now she's all about the various Jimnys they have for sale.
Going to become a 3 car household with two of them being old kei cars.

Sweet! Also, this was posted in the AI Awesome Car stuff thread in past day or two which led me to looking at the Duncan stuff. I'm 100% certain I'm going to buy something from the man in the next year or two, but I'm also 100% certain I'm going to take a look at his private collection assuming he's not inundated by requests and shuts down access.

e: Please don't blame me. Blame Rhyno. He posted the link that led me to that Jimmy. He's the guilty party, and who I'm going to blame when I show up explaining to my wife why I bought a Super Boy and a Nissan Pao.

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh god I LOVE the Nissan Pao. If it had EFI and a turbo I'd be seriosly inclined to buy one.

http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Nissan/1990-Nissan-Pao-149ea70f0a0e08ba1fcafc808b5a978a.htm

I also owned a Honda City turbo when I was in japan and would buy that car again in a heartbeat. Mine was a regular turbo, all this guy has right now is a turbo II cabrio but it's the exact same interior....Memories :allears:

http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Honda/1986-Honda-City-0ec416410a0e08bd1b0625a801a1d288.htm

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Oh. Oh my.

http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Ford/1978-Ford-Pinto-7774ab5a0a0e08bc2125d9029514efe9.htm

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A pinto never has been and never will be worth thirteen thousand loving dollars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

A pinto never has been and never will be worth thirteen thousand loving dollars.

Time heals all wounds friend, that Pinto is rad as gently caress. At least it's no Vega.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

My wife's family had a Pinto. It had a bumper sticker that read:

IF YOU CAN READ THIS
YOU ARE IN GRAVE DANGER

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Lol someone was pissed:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/6014800901.html

I bet you could make that in to a pretty awesome stripped out off roader/highway car. I mean $6,500 for a supercharged RR sport seems like a steal, no?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just get it wrapped and be done with it imo.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
A timeless legacy. One of perseverance and determination in the face of great adversity. One of ambition and sacrifice. But ultimately a legacy of failure.

A Legacy 2.5i.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Voltage posted:

Lol someone was pissed:

I bet you could make that in to a pretty awesome stripped out off roader/highway car. I mean $6,500 for a supercharged RR sport seems like a steal, no?

I'd buy the hell out of that and just start with wd-40 and work up to weak non-acetone based nail polish remover, then polish. Doneskies. We used wd-40 the next morning when we had vandals in the middle of the night.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just get proper 3m rubbing compound. Come right off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Click the link. Smashed window and the interior is also spray painted.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I did it, I found the cleanest not-hosed-with Samurai left in North America.

And for that money you can get a fuel-injected and much newer Jimny. With a turbo, and intercooler.

Voltage posted:

Lol someone was pissed:

Man I think I could just clean up what I could, drive it around, and when people go 'whats up with your car man?' you could go 'Paid 6500 for this' and explain the story and be a-ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Nice looking, unmolested '92 Jeep Comanche near Hunstville AL

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/5989557678.html

Last year of production so fairly rare, they only made around 2.5k that year.