Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait.... what?

This thing has a plastic blower on it as well? How on Earth can he title it as a Corvette? If it were possible to title cars as other things as he was suggesting, wouldn't half of California be running "50's cars" so they don't have to pass emissions?

Oh god I'm focusing on the titling thing because my mind just cannot process what he has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1102633103.html

No pictures, but a $100 '87 Integra that hasn't been started in 7 years. He says tow it away, but I think that with an oil change, new battery, and air in tires it could be made to go. You guys think the timing belt would go once you try and crank it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jorsh posted:

Uh, no title? No thanks.

If I were to actually grab this magical $100 car and its stolen / something shady because of the no-title, would I be liable for anything or just out $100?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

angryhampster posted:

It'd need work with the fuel system, the cooling system is probably rusted to hell, who knows what's eaten away at any electrical components. I wouldn't go near it.

Thanks for reminding me that it will take more than $300 and a few hours to fix this thing up. I thought it sounded like fun to have a sub-$500 beater.

On the other hand, Integras are plentiful and I could probably get a parts car for $200... maybe something could come from this car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Good god I would buy this if I was anywhere near it, right now.

$1300 Canadian for a loving TURBINE-POWERED MINIVAN!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What engine would be in a US Ford Fiesta? I'm having a hard time nailing it down. Possible gold?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

Well its either hilariously overpriced turd bucket that someone thinks is worth way more than it is, and thus got posted. Or its a cool quirky car that someone has a fetish for, and thus got posted. Pretend its a CYOA and pick which ever option makes you happy.

I think it's a cool quirky car, and it looks better than most of the other sub $2k cars on Craigslist! I've never actually seen a 70s generation Fiesta, and I guess I thought they were rarer than they are.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DrPain posted:

From this ad: "She has 4 Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Steering."

I certainly hope the rear tires stay nice and straight! :catstare:

You do know that those had a 4 wheel steering option, right? It's not necessarily a dumb seller.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

I found it, the ultimate 70's hot hatch.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4160981339.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cosworth_Vega

Holy crap, I might even try to buy it off of him. No idea what he's looking for, cash-wise. Any Houston area goons want to go in on a Vega project together?

What is he looking for? Is it really in good enough shape to warrant a restore and care, or is it a hidden basket case that he didn't identify until he started taking it apart?

A Vega was my Dad's first car and I would love to restore one, but my funds and garage are probably soon being filled by a Lemons project unless he'll let this thing go for cheap.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

1992 MAZDA B2200 SHORT BED/MANUAL STANDARD/108,990 MILES - $980

Man, I totally want to buy a truck with a loving peacock on it.

Is this the Mazda B series before it was a rebadged ranger? Is this real gold?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If he cashes out immediately, all he's saying is "Pay me $30k for my Golf".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

In ten years all the NAs will be gone. Five years later all the NBs will be gone.

But for now it's so much easier to find one in good shape rather than fix up a lovely one. The interior on my '99 was pretty ragged out by the PO and it doesn't seem worth the effort to fix it up because there's still a billion NBs out there.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4521854756.html

This was posted earlier, why do people like CRXes so much? If i could have a well sorted, clean CRX Si for under $1k, is it worth it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Craigslist pyrite:

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/cto/4669546108.html

Probably bait so the seller can rob/kill potential buyers and wear their skin. :v:

Also google says that area code is for minnesota.

Standard "pay for the car now and get it later" Craigslist scam. There always tons of these posting brand new cars for under $5k with some story about getting deployed to Afghanistan.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sanchez posted:

Or you're a passenger with your feet on the dashboard. I wonder how far back your legs would get.

This happened to a girl at my high school. Surprisingly, only one broken ankle from it, but pretty badly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Autotrader says it's minus 1.3 inches from the sedan. Which does seem kinda weird.

The focus hatch is a shorter vehicle than the sedan in exterior dimensions.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

You could buy five of kastein's Datsun 620s for that price.

This one looks to have more of the original body than 5 of kastein's put together, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MrAmazing posted:

It’s essentially just a financing decision, with added flexibility at the end via an option.

For instance, if you lease a Tesla and then your benevolent overlord drops the price 10K a week after you sign, you can choose not to buy the lease out at the end. You’ll pay the depreciation on that 10k over the course of the lease but will not have the the residual loss.

Tesla leases actually do not have the option to buy out at the end, and have not for a while. They removed that flexibility so that when used car prices shot way up, Tesla could make the money instead of the people leasing them.

In your scenario that you gave, your lease costs will not increase just because the car depreciated $10k more than the tables said. What leases do is they provide a limit on the most depreciation you'll pay for owning the car for X years. Most manufacturers will let you buy out the car at the end of the lease, so if the car depreciated less than expected, you get some money back effectively because the car's market value is higher than the contractual lease buy-out price. The lease buy-out also removes some of the risk that you don't use all the miles the lease allowed, because a car with less miles is worth more money.

All this goes out the window once Tesla won't let you buy the lease out, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Well, here's the video: https://youtu.be/s0_K75QyMX0

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Powershift posted:

As someone who has looked into 1.0 ecoboost swaps, prices on used engines went from $900 to over $4500 as they started failing in cars.

The front timing cover also integrates an engine mount and is an extremely intricate casting which would be hard to replace

That used engine pricing really funny to me as someone who bought a car new with the 1.0 Ecoboost for $13k. The engine really is a pretty great fit in a Fiesta, but it was a giant piece of poo poo in the EcoSport where it was saddled with a bad automatic, more weight, and a start/stop system. We got EcoSport loaners twice while our other Ford was getting warranty repairs.

It was only available with a manual in the Fiesta, which completely doomed it in the US. The 1.5 3-cyl seems to be a better engine in every way, and also has cylinder deactivation for when 3 cylinders is too many. I'd buy a car with one, but new cars are expensive now and I don't think Ford even offers it in a sedan or hatch.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Buy it, replace the necessary braking system parts, put a quart of oil in it and rev the tits off it while doing jumps

If that's the same three speed that Toyota was still using in 2002 somehow, "rev the tits off of it" just means drive modern freeway speeds.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The seller is a bus/limo service so i'd imagine everything was serviced well over the years. With that kind of mileage the engine would have been replaced or rebuilt at some point right? Heads at the VERY least. I don't know of any regular engine in any car that will go 430k with the OG internals intact. I've been making some calls about selling a few things. If the planets align and it's still there once I gather $3k, and it drives Ok I'll buy it. Who knows, I might fall in love with the thing and sell my Subaru. Or I could throw a stereo in it and flip it to someone at work and pocket a few hundred bucks. Or it does a blues brothers the moment I hand over the cash.

I'm pretty sure that the million mile Volvo did it without replacing or rebuilding the engine, and I know for a fact that the million mile Tundra did it on the stock transmission, too: https://www.motortrend.com/features/million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down/

quote:

Tearing down would confirm their suspicions. From the piston heads, valve stems, crankshaft journals, and the block itself, the engine was in impeccable condition. Examining the parts in person was quite amazing. There was very little carbon buildup on the valve stems, the cross hatching was still visible on the cylinder walls, and the crankshaft journals had no visible wear marks. The only real blemish found was one slight mark on a bearing.

"We remeasured the head, the block, and cams in our lab," said Connie Roberts, Toyota quality manager. "Nothing was abnormal. It wasn't within specifications, but after a million miles it isn't going to be. The biggest surprise to me was the bearings. They are probably the cleanest I've ever seen come out of an engine. "

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah, the insane people are the sellers. I've been casually browsing cars to get something newer and it's baffling too. Seeing a few year old used cars with 120k miles for not much less than new is nuts to me. Just gonna end up running my car into the ground at this rate.

The other day, I was glancing at the prices of Scions:

Oh, that makes sense. Yes, a 7 or 8 year old econobox from a dead marque with 80,000 miles should cost $1,000 less than original MSRP when sold new. By the depreciation curve, I'm guessing these cars are expected to last 100 years and drive a million miles, right? Hell, when these things were sold new they were financed for 0.9% or 1.9% APR and for a lot less than $344/mo for 5 years like they are now.

It seems now like any car that is less than a decade old is "like new" and sells for a very slight discount compared to a new car. I have no idea why anyone would buy a used car in this market if they just want basic transportation.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

2014 Chevrolet silverado 1500 crew cab
$22,000
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/248235651387181/?mibextid=2JQ9oc

What could possibly be interesting about a decade old Silverado 1500? Well...

I'd guess that a 24 kWh battery really doesn't get a half ton very far at all, what a wild conversion. Where'd they stuff the battery?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cage posted:

This car looks like it was made for audio competitions back in the 90s then left as is which makes me think that isn't a flat panel tv in the trunk opening deck lid. What else would that panel be?

Illuminated sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Going to check this out on Monday

Have always loved these and they’re not exactly thick on the ground. Don’t need another car (story of my life) but I want to see if I like them in practicality as much as in theory. Clean title, low miles, looks super clean. Anyone have any experience with them?

Hell yes. 2.3L V6 with a supercharger? Sweet. Those tiny V6es are really neat and it's a drat shame we don't have anything like them anymore.