Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

If I had the money I would be on a plane right this second. This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually getting really tired of these ~hilarious over the top~ Craigslist ads that everyone seems to be doing now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One of the dispatchers at a local bus line here DDs a limo a little shorter than that. Except his looks like a hoarder's house/car and is full of garbage and random junk.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1791apparel posted:

At least the firearm laws don't seem to spill over

Um... Not all of them, sure. But it's not for lack of trying on California politicians' parts.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is that.. pee or margarita mix under the front of the car?

Coolant

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Industrial posted:

OK, the best part of this ad is not the text but rather the airbag half-assedly stuffed back into the wheel despite no mention of a collision.

Well, the ad is gone now, but it definitely mentioned something about his ex damaging it for some reason.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Like $800. But I'm cheap.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey if I'm making enough/getting paid mileage, what's an hour and a half commute? I've done 77 miles each way with mileage paid to, but not from.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No way, that's neat. Buy it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hell, I'd go $500. I could easily wring that much amusement out of it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dr.Caligari posted:

It's...beautiful :qq:. I wonder how bad the rust is, with it being in Colorado.

Given the amount of visible rust, I would imagine "Walk away" bad

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

This is probably the closest I'm ever going to find to a Tissier-converted Citroën, an XM hearse that popped up a couple of weeks ago:

1992, 2.0L, automatic, 220K km, driven as a hearse until December 2011, they want 10K DKK (~$1850) for it, doesn't have plates. Goddammit, it's so impractical, but so cool.

It's only impractical in how long it is. Everything else about that is awesomely practical. Look at all that cargo space!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Now for a bonus. That second pic has a Nissan in it that came out to our first Cars & Coffee meet last year. The owner bought it new (it's a 94 Maxima I think) and has dumped $70,000 into it. He had a book with receipts to prove it. It's a manual swap, turboed and has scissor hinges on all four doors.

Does that at least count the original purchase price?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grimes posted:

How do you include car titles in search? I want to filter out rebuilt, but I don't know how :(.

Try -rebuilt

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

thechalkoutline posted:

does 9k for this sound fair?

If you were selling it, $9k would be an awesome price! As a buyer no, no no no.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd probably go $5-5.5k on it just because it looks to be in great shape and they're fun cars from all accounts (I'd never fit in one), but it's still an 80s car even if it's a cool 80s car

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm considering trading my car, a 97 acura rl, for a 90 jaguar xjs convertible with the 5.3 liter v12. I am leery of paying cash on top of my car. Even though I would only need the jag to run until September, I have no reason to expect less than 1000s in repairs and inconvenient breakdowns before then. Any opinions?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4479838446.html

I'd post a pic but I'm on my phone.

I'd rather pay blue book or more for an Acura than get a free Jaguar.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There was one near me at a Chrysler dealership few years ago, maybe 2011 or, sitting at $16k or so, never titled, under 30 miles on the odometer, it just kept ticking down in price. I wonder if it's still sitting there sadly.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blk posted:

A buddy of mine had a NA Z32 for a long time, he didn't like it much but didn't say why. I think it was just old and tired.

This isn't gold, but raises a used-car-buying theory question. What do you think one should pay for non-collector cars that have essentially zero mileage but are really old? I'm not seriously considering buying this one, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Sportcrosses and will use it as an example:

This Sportcross stickered for roughly 33k in 2002, or about 43k in 2014 dollars, making this one essentially half price a dozen years later. On one hand, the price seems reasonable for a like-new car. On the other hand, it's not really a competitive vehicle anymore - 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 18 or 19 combined MPG.

There are other interesting ones out there. Sorting Autotrader and eBay by mileage is really interesting.

Gooberpeas once pointed out to me that Miata prices are more determined by chronological age than mileage, and I found that to be true when I went shopping. I wonder if it applies to most cars.
If it's not in motion it's in decomposition. I bet most of the rubber under the hood is rotting.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

You know, there is plenty of room in that hood for an electric conversion.

And a fridge and a lounge chair and...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just take a Sawzall to it

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wojcigitty posted:

Awesome, there are so many posts in this thread that say "I would buy the poo poo out of that" or "I'm seriously considering looking at this tomorrow" and nobody follows through.

If I didn't have so many financial obligations I would fill my driveway and street with all the cars I'd love to own

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coredump posted:

Maybe it not his car at all. I hear back in the day people called those "We buy junk cars" numbers on cars in people's driveways when they weren't home.

"with title"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
$3k for a 15 year old automatic SUV?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And a compacter

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

That's a killer deal for 1k imo. Would be a great car to tinker on.

Whether or not you want to!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

The only reason it's desirable, like, at all is BECAUSE it's a Subaru*.

*I'm not Saab bashing but isn't the general consensus that GM saabs are kind of trashy?

The general consensus isn't always right.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

"Also look at my NFA violation before I go to jail"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"This car mechanically is perfect I've never had issues driving this thing every day" below a list of nearly $22k in repairs (The last being in the FUTURE even!) in two years. On a car he paid $2800 for.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Negromancer posted:

That and whatever they put behind the headrests in the rear window

Is that a Fiero GT?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

theacox posted:

Yeah, "runs and drives" but doesn't need $1K+ worth of work to make it actually roadworthy around here is rare. This is coming from somewhere that does not require any inspections.

Inspections and emissions testing here, I wouldn't risk buying a car under about $4k as being turnkey ready to go without going over it bumper to bumper, and even then I'd probably want to lowball it, likely due to rust.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

animeliker posted:

I guess it's also dependent on what you can put up with. I dislike rot and even minor body damage. Also I like air conditioning, which virtually never loving works on anything sub $2k it seems unless you get really lucky.

I don't remember the last time I used my air conditioning other than to make sure it still worked. I live in PA so rust is my major concern. If it's visible it's probably worse than it looks. Rules out just about any Subaru and older Honda :(

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SperginMcBadposter posted:

So would this be like a confirmed deathtrap to you? http://shreveport.craigslist.org/cto/4632818365.html
Because I've been thinking about getting something that cheap to gently caress around with.

Deathtrap? No, but I wouldn't spend money on it either.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

Something terrible is lurking in that "unfinished project" or that is the steal of the month.

It's right there in the URL http://pittsburgh

Rust belt

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blk posted:

I've been trying to think of a way to describe tastelessly modified cars and the surrounding culture to non-car people without saying "riced," which is rather racist.

The best I can think of is Race And Performance Exterior Decoration. You can figure out the acronym. People who perform these modifications would be called Race And Performance ists.

Apologies to anyone who actually has been a victim of sexual assault, I'm using it in the literary / material / allegorical sense here, such as the way the European powers raped their colonies of resources, and am not trying to make light of the sexual crime. It is probably true, though, that you should watch your drink around people with slammed Lexuses.

Jesus Christ.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A just result for people who put their feet up on the dashboard. I had a girlfriend who did that years ago, used to put her bare toes up against the windshield, ugh.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MiniFoo posted:

It's bagged.

Yes, it's ruined.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That's awesome. My parents had that same (stock) motorhome back in the day, this one is way cooler.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CannonFodder posted:

If only that Studebaker wasn't in loving Fairbanks, Alaska.

One hell of a road trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BoostCreep posted:

I don't know why, but I really want this. It'll probably split in half immediately, but a stretch '93 4x4 ZJ with 40k miles is hilarious. It has the transfer case handle still there and the ad says it's still a 4x4. Imagine trolling around local OHV park with a limo full of people.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-...=US_Cars_Trucks

I saw a Chevy Blazer limo the other day. I'm not sure which is worse between that and this.