Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Posting this XR600 mostly for the picture. I thought I was into bikes...

Australia folks: I've been after a budget van for a while to turn into a camper, any particular makes/models to avoid? I've already ruled out anything European due to cost of parts, and probably Kia's as they seem rare (and are usually late 90s, don't know that they were renowned for reliability). I have a soft spot for the kei-type vans like the Suzuki Carry, but already have a small motorbike as my daily, so in this case I'd be happy to trade fuel economy for a bit of extra space, as this would only be for the occasional big load or weekend/school holiday camping with my partner. It'd be nice to just buy a Hiace and call it a day, but the ones that aren't sitting on a banged-up 350-400k tend to be out of my price range, as the most I can stretch my budget is AU$4500 (and even that is really pushing it).

I'd really like one of the 4WD L300's, but they are comparatively rare down here in Tasmania, and the older ones are hard to find with power steering or without moon miles. The newer ones are nice (L400's, the 90s body style) but only tend to fall into my price range if something's significantly wrong with them. There are really only two of the 4WDs for sale near me at the moment, both seem overpriced though:

This L300 has PS and has been up for months, but even with receipts for the engine work (seems doubtful) and all the other new parts listed, 425k is a hell of a lot of kms for a Mitsu, especially at $3650.

There's another one for sale nearby with more reasonable kms, but their $4200 asking price seems high even with 6 months rego (~$300, which the other one has as well), and I'm pretty certain there'd be no PS. Not to mention having to rip all that hippie crap out of the back.

There is also this Econovan (Mazda E2000), which lacks PS and isn't a 4WD, but it is a LWB which would be nice for a camping setup, and from what I've read the diesels are quite reliable. Not crazy about going back to something without PS (had a small Nissan van with no power steering earlier this year), but since it wouldn't be my daily I feel like I should suck it up. There is also the potential to finance it (or at least put it on a CC and rack up some airline miles with signup bonuses) since it's a dealer, which could help out my financial situation, not to mention the $2500 asking price.

I should mention I'm not much at wrenching (keen to learn), but will be starting work at a school with an automotive program in early Feb, so will have access to cheaper work at least. I'm not sure what their capabilities are yet, but if anyone can think of some common faults I could live with for 1.5 months and then turn over to get fixed, might help me score something in my price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

This clean AU$1200 Prelude popped up yesterday and seems like a nice deal, although the fact it's still available today makes me a little bit suspicious. OTOH, the school I work at (which looks to be just up the street from him, judging by the background) has an automotive program and could probably put it up on the lift and take a good look at it for a very reasonable fee...

quote:

1989 Honda Prelude Coupe

- 1 owner since new
- Low 199,000kms
- 4 cylinder
- 5 speed Manual
- brand new tyres
- 3 months rego
- electric windows
- factory electric sunroof
- pop up head lights
- power steering
- Comfy seats
- very cheap to run

The vehicle is in excellent, clean, original condition.

All original Honda books/owners manual pictured.

GENUINE ENQUIRIES ONLY

$1200 phone/text Matt on

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 4, 2017

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

KakerMix posted:

You aren't crazy no, kei vans are awesome. Everything about this one looks pretty good besides the rust that's apparent around various seams along the sliding door rails and along the rear door on the roof. While they probably didn't pay over $750 for it if you want one of these there isn't many alternatives unless you are going to import it yourself. Buying from a dealer like this provides you with a title already. The price they are charging is a bit high compared to other import places if only because of the rust, if it didn't have that then the price would be fair for it already being in the US.
You can buy one yourself through a place like https://www.japancardirect.com/ but you have to deal with shipping to the US, the cost with that, US customs and finally the DMV to title a vehicle for the first time. Upside is you can get one of these for maybe 2k if one comes up for auction all said and done and delivered to the port.
The only other thing I'd consider with a kei van in a place like Seattle is they aren't kings of hills while at speed. They can and easily will climb whatever you want them to but keep in mind if you are on the highway you will lose speed while climbing steeper gradients.

EDIT
I daily drive a 1990 Honda Acty kei van and paid 6200 for mine from Japanese Classics. Mine has zero rust, is 2WD and has working AC.

Can an NA kei even keep up with 70mph US highway traffic? I haven't driven a kei van before, but the other keis I've taken on the highway have been pretty wrung out above 100kph (Japanese highway speed limit is 80kph so not a huge issue there). I did drive a turbo Move once that seemed nice and peppy, but it was on a tiny island where there was literally nowhere I could safely try and get it up to speed.

Kei vans are cool af, but 6k seems like a pretty fat margin for the importer, even if it does have low ks and AWD. That one does seem to have nicer creature conforts for rear passengers than most though.

Dug around on their site and of course there's an Africa Twin... good thing I'm not in the US anymore!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

How bad is the fuel economy in those 4WD kei vans? The only kei I actually owned was a Pajero Mini for a month as a cheap vacation runabout, which struggled to get 330ks out of a tank of mostly highway driving. By contrast I think I usually got something like 450+ out of the regular kei cars I drove.

Fo3 posted:

I was going to mention the wind thing, if only because I use to have a 1300cc toyota liteace and that was scary at 100km/hr (not a kei van, it was 1300cc and ~1000kg). Just based on that and generally how unsafe vans are in a crash, I'd never drive a kei van like a suzuki carry or diahatsu hijet (E: not sure if honda, subaru or others were sold here but I remember the carry and hijet). I drive deathtraps but they have to be fun at least.

I had an Atrai-7 (stretched version of the kei Atrai with a 1.3L), it was pretty decent on the highway, but boy howdy was it struggling in the mountains with 6 full-sized adults in it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

julian assflange posted:

Non-Japanese Copens had a 1.3L engine with more power and a good deal more torque. If in the future you had to have one, they would be a better bet for US driving. That said I've never read great stuff about them, certainly not the same way people gush over AZs, Beats and Cappuccinos

Yeah, that's the same deal with the Suzuki Carry/APV that we get in Australia, I think the older ones got 880cc engines.

Just supposition, but I reckon it'd be somewhat more of a PITA to track down parts for those larger engines they put in the export keis since they never really existed on the JDM (that Atrai-7 I had was somewhat of an exception).

Fo3 posted:

cappuccinos are ok, also the diahatsu copen. The suzuki got a lot of press here after people started putting hayabusa engines in them. The diahastu I believe has some non kei engines that go in there already.

What do they do for reverse gear on the 'busa engine? I remember seeing one that had been swapped into a classic Mini ages ago and that being one of the issues (I think it was a track car so the point was moot).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

KakerMix posted:

Florida a sort of nature preserve for automobiles

No salt on them roads, just morons :v:

Those Previa's (Tarago in Aus) seem to hold their value pretty well, though that one is the most expensive I've seen. Over here they're nicknamed "wombat van" for the shape.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

quote:

Ford ltd hearse
Unfinished project
Has had a motor conversion from 6 cylinder to a fuel injected 302 Windsor (done by a mechanic)
The whole body and engine wiring harness has been re done
Auto
Runs and drive well
Has a custom made coffin in the back with 2 12 inch subbies in it
Tail shaft has been professionally shortened and balanced by dynamic balancing and new centre bearing
On ba/bf gtp mags with very good tread

Just needs rear quarters bogged and sprayed

Car runs and drive just needs the cosmetic thing doing

Needs rego paying
Regestered as a 6 but can be changed to v8 without a mod plate as this model came out with a v8, just has to go over the pits (witch I think it would pass)

My loss is your gain
The car owes me nearly 10 grand as it is
Just don't have the $$ to finish it off

$4000 Ono

Will trade

:getin:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Actual gold (well, depending on rust, but at least we don't salt the roads here)

quote:

Here we have a Series 2 flat tray,
bit of history behind this one originally from far North Queensland and used to catch Crocodiles back in the 70’s. The tray rack top was used for sleeping on to keep off the ground from the crocs. It then got driven down to Tassie and was used for camping and wood collecting.
It has been set up with duel fuel, duel battery, uhf radio (still working), tray rack.
It has a holden 161 engine. Heavy Duty rear springs.
Power lock hubs (the strongest and most reliable)

Rust is evident in the door tops and some in firewall. Chassis looks just like surface rust but closer inspection will tell.
Would be great to see this work horse back working. Not a difficult resto would be great for first one.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Powershift posted:

I've found it! the most dickheadish used car ad!

Monster Energy Drink sticker... yep, checks out.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Snowy posted:

What if you fly and then find out there’s something deal breakingly wrong with the car? It would suck to have to buy another plane ticket.

A guy at work always advocates for it, he flew halfway across the country for an old Range Rover, the seller just met him at the airport and everything went great.

It depends a lot on the seller - I'd have much fewer qualms about buying from someone from an online community like AI, ADVrider, etc that has a reputation, and often times you can get a good read based on the CL ad - are there tonnes of pictures, lots of description, etc? I'd definitely think twice about buying anything at a distance from your average potato camera toting, manuel-transmission mouthbreather.

If it was something I was serious about and it was a long trip and/or substantial investment, I'd probably go on Google and find a garage in their area with good reviews, and offer to Paypal the seller to take it there for an inspection, and have the place email or fax the report directly to me.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

boxen posted:

Also that "rare" can often mean "loving impossible to find parts for". Like if you have a stick shift 1968 Cadillac Eldorado convertible or something oddball, and need the correct console. Good luck finding a reproduction for something that there only ever were like ten of.

When I lived in Japan I had a XLR 250 Baja - it was only sold in Japan and Europe, and most of the Japanese ones got shipped off to Southeast Asia as grey market imports in the late 90's/early 2000s. Probably 95% of the parts were the same as the regular XR/XL250, but guess which ones on mine broke?

Hardline to the XLR-only oil cooler, and the CDI unit which was also specific to the bike.

Would still buy again, miss that thing :kiddo:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Meanwhile, in Australia...

Turbo L300 4x4 - $2500

quote:

Selling my pride and joy. My crowning achievement. The hardest thing I've ever done.

1985 Mitsubishi L300 4x4 express.

Specs.
Custom rear axle, torsen LSD,disk conversion.
Custom front axle. ARB RD110 locker fitted to a special combination of components to make it all fit in the original housing.
5 speed manual gearbox, the best one in my arsenal.
Brakes. NH pajero on all corners. 276mm front vented disks with twin piston callipers. Bendix ultra HD pads all round. Braided brake hoses.
I reinstalled and replumbed the air conditioning but the blasted thing stopped working.

Engine.
4G63B 6 bolt engine. Factory forged crankshaft and connecting rods.
Weisco forged dished pistons and rings.
Upgraded oil pump to 5mm larger gears from a later engine.
EFI conversion. Star wagon intake manifold. Magna throttle body and TPS.
GM temperature senders.
Evoution 3 510cc injectors.
Mitsubishi chariot LED pick up distributor.
Camshaft ground for peak torque low in the rpm range.
Water to air intercooler.
Mitsubishi TD04L 12g turbocharger on a log manifold to save room.
Tial External waste gate to save room.
2.5" exhaust, side exit. Large muffler. Only noise is turbo whine.
Walbro 255 fuel pump running from a 1.5L surge tank fed by a facet lift pump.

Fuel injection is controlled by a Megasquirt II engine management computer which is currently configured to fire in batch mode. Direct coil shunting control.
Entire engine harness is labled for ease of tracing.

This thing is an animal. Builds boost from 1800rpm, sits its arse down, lifts the nose and RIPS!

Spares.
Body sucks so there's a freshly painted and rust removed body.
Several gearboxes, engine blocks, another spare van. Endless.

Regarding price.
I've spent 5 years and over 10k on this project. And you can have it all for $2500.

If that's too much then I'll simply part it out. I'm moving abroad and need to sell up.

Thank you for reading

I unironically love this body style of van and have been on the lookout for one for a long time, but I assume all the custom work the guy's done will impact reliability, and I don't have the space or know-how to give it the attention it'll probably need (certainly don't have room for the second body/spares). But seems like a stonkin' deal for someone.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

You Am I posted:

Hmm, Tasmania. If it was mainland I'd give it a little bit of thought. My dad used to turbocharge those 4WD vans in the early to mid 80s and remember going to ski fields in those.

Forth is a stone's throw from the ferry terminal, just sayin'. Although bookings on the Spirit can be pretty hit or miss in summertime.

If someone wants to talk me into buying this thing, I'm all ears. I am likely moving back to the US in ~2 years and have been thinking about bringing the boxy RHD van of my dreams back with me, although moving everything over to the clean body would be well beyond my skill level.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

IKillForPie posted:

The urge to get a JDM import manual turbo wagon is overriding my sensibilities... it looks goddamn immaculate.

What's a Stagea run in Canada?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I could smell the Florida on that before I even read the description.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Motronic posted:

What big enough market will want them once the boomers are dead? I'd say prepare for the collapse in demand which will lead to only the very best of the best remaining, which, as with all collectors things will remain expensive.

I think this is generally true; while I wouldn't expect prices to necessarily crater, I think that demand will be drastically reduced and there will be a vanishingly small group of buyers left willing to pay top dollar for them.

Alternatively, collecting mid-century American muscle could become a craze among the well-off in China and prices could go even higher :shrug:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea the Odyssey was like 255hp when they went to the V6, no idea what it is now but I'm sure it rips. Lol at all the dorks thinking SUVs are cooler than minivans

:rip:s straight through that auto trans.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Darchangel posted:

Even a smooth straight Ididit GM-compatible column and a Lokar vintage-style floor shifter would be better, if not correct.

Ran across this today. Ebay auction, but:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265178956667

According to the /DRIVE article I got to the auction from, it's a 1930 Dodge KC truck, originally.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/we-dairy-you-to-restore-this-dodge-milk-bottle-mobile-to-its-former-glory/ar-AAKIBV7

Sitting at $2125, reserve not met, with 20 hours to go when I posted.

edit: added a couple more pics, because why not?

Looks like something you'd see broken down in the background of a Final Fantasy game.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I've been creeping Denver Marketplace because I'm moving there in ~6 months (from overseas) and trying to get an idea of the market. That's the only reason I'm not slam-purchasing this 60's American postal tuk-tuk despite having only basic mechanical skills:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Literally the best picture the guy took:

quote:

No rust and kept under cover, a great candidate to finish off and have something rarer and more interesting than a BMW Isetta

Not the Urkel car :colbert:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

televiper posted:

I don’t understand the appeal of spending $1k+ more than just using a normal tent, or one that incorporates your back hatch if you want to get your vehicle involved for some reason.

They are really popular here in Australia, in part because it keeps you up away from the wildlife. There's also an integrated foam mattress which is pretty comfy - carrying one of these in a car is generally not practical for most vehicles/trips. They're easy to set up, don't get flooded if it rains... there's actually quite a lot to like about them.

I hired a Nissan Cube with one of the cheaper/less compact rooftop tents, and while it was not great to drive owing to how woefully underpowered a Cube is to begin with, the tent was really nice. OTOH, you lose the ability to get to a campground early and call dibs on a spot by setting up your tent and then driving off to go do something before evening.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Nitrox posted:

Facebook is very broken, yes. But you can hide ads from individual sellers, thus eliminating the scumbag dealerships wholesale with a bit of clicking.

While I hate FB marketplace, something I'll give it over Gumtree is the ability to do this. I remember when I wanted to buy some camping gear and it was next to impossible to find stuff that wasn't the same local brick and mortar store listing brand new gear, guy swamped the section with hundreds of ads.

Maybe that was his plan; make it impossible to find secondhand gear online so you had to shop at his store.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Big Craigslist energy from this hearse ad on Marketplace:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

I'm sure he took as much care with the rest of the build as he did with applying the decals.

It looks like it was done by an eighth grader in MS Paint. I love it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Gentlemen, I give you... the Tumbler:

seller posted:

With summer approaching, are you looking for a fun rig for the mountains? Maybe your interested in a side by side but they are just so expensive? Maybe you just want something wild you can beat on without really caring? Look no further!! Full roll cage, offroad lights, 4wd (maybe all wheel im not sure), this monstrosity is ready for all your wikd adventures! Needs an ignition cylinder swap done, and supposedly has a bad fuel pump but i couldn't say for sure. Asking 2k obo, title in hand and ready to go. Located outside glenrock, wy.

Sagebrush posted:

Shouldn't it be RX-10.5?

:golfclap:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

deong posted:

You have to post the ad. I'm in Denver...

I meant to originally, but lost the tab :(

The other poster is right, it's listed as a CRV if that helps you.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You would think all the poo poo on the front of it would stifle airflow and cause it to overheat, especially in Florida.

It's actually a tesserect doing 4-dimensional cooling.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I have no idea what, if anything this is meant to be pulled behind. Too heavy for a bicycle, tyres look too dinky for a motorbike/car.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 13, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

boxen posted:

My favorite parts are the fire extinguisher and old glory there with 19 stars and 15 stripes.

"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missoura Mississippi"

Nitrox posted:

It was a bicycle trailer cart originally, definitely not over it's own load capacity

Yeah, they do look like bicycle cart wheels.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

This owns so hard

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

"the next best thing"

2002 Suburu Outback Baja Long Bed

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

quote:

Ok so it's a 225cc mountain board and it's dangerous af. It's sent 4 ppl to the hospital and thats when it had the 90cc motor. It's also not finished so I strongly advise rebuilding or re imagining the whole project. It was a ton of fun and super powerful before I made it a solid axle in the rear and that thro everything off and I lost interest. The brakes were never finished and steering is compromise now that it's 2 wheel drive. The 225cc motor has less then a few hours in it.
It was an absolute blast when it was one wheel drive with the 90cc motor but the solid axle and 225cc was just too much. So If anyone is looking for a fun rear end project, look no further!! 400$ obo

"obo" in this case stands for "Obviously, Bones Obliterated"

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

In today's edition of "things I found out existed were sold/are street legal in the US":

Seems heinously overpriced for the condition/what it is, but lol and lmao. Did some research and apparently sold and titled as a motorcycle.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

'88 means it has the wee 550cc motor, a year or two newer and it'd have the 660 (the last displacement bump kei's got)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Good news, everyone!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Seller's Description posted:

No returns Second Gen Prius Catalytic Converter Necklace. Condition is "New". This is a gag gift/awesome piece of work and can’t be returned! Necklace styles may vary. great gift for those go getters in your life . Share a laugh with a friend Over a fun all nighter while looking cooler than anyone on the block .

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

drr…DRR…….