Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Coredump posted:

I had a 1998 Nissan 240sx 5 speed in pretty good shape and best of all, it was stock. All I had done to it was maintenance such as clutch, upper timing chain, oil, trans fluid change, etc etc. I put it on facebook marketplace for $5500 and my phone started blowing up. I had lots of people claiming they had cash in hand. Well I told people to meet me in a parking lot beside a police station. The police station is right there but its blocked from view of the road by the other building.

First a kid and his dad shows up. I like the kid, he's nice he says he wants to keep the car original. Honestly I don't care if he takes it home slams it and puts rocket bunny fender flares on it, just enjoy the car because I was letting it sit. Well and me and him are wrapping up the deal this dude bro shows up and offers me $5600, but he would have to go get the other $100 out of the atm. I tell him sorry, the other folks beat him there and I like them and they got the full $5500.

Well at this point he starts trash talking me. Calling me trash and a piece of poo poo "you don't make people race to a car". I tell him people online flake out and it was my car to sell. But honestly if he wanted to trash talk me that's fine, I didn't really mind. But he WOULD NOT shut up. So finally I told him, "Dude... just shuddduppp" and he came around my car and got in my face and said, "tell me to shut up again." I found this very amusing, and said, "what are you going to do, beat me up? Shut up." Those words would come back for me later.

Long story short, this dude bro pushed me into THE OTHER GUY'S truck, then he took my glasses and started to walk off. After trying to get my glasses back he did in fact beat me up lol. But then the cops showed up and sat us both down. He got battery and theft by taking although he should have gotten destruction of property too cuz my glasses are jacked. They took him away in hand cuffs and let me go and I finished the deal with the first kid and the dad. Also I gave them $100 off for not punching me.

Oh man what a great car buying experience for that kid.

“Great deal on car, got paid 100 bucks to watch a fight, a++ would buy again”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I thought S-chassis’s were just poison that mostly attracted shitheads but man I would have thrown 5500 at you to get that thing.

On the other hand if I showed up and a great deal was gone I would have been disappointed, not too surprised, and not as punchy so gently caress that guy

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bonelessdongs posted:

Anyone want a garage built Porsche powered by two Subaru engines welded together?

Hahaha I have been watching this guy build this thing for a while now. He has a YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/JB91710

Got a link to the CL ad? Or are you trying to keep it for yourself to flip and make yourself wealthy?

Edit: nm found it https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/east-hartford-1971-porsche-can-am-car/6931185677.html

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 6, 2019

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Elviscat posted:

For when he inevitably pulls it down:

TBF, it looks like a loving amazing amount of time, effort, and money got sunk into this stupid thing, how does someone like this get the money to build something like this anyways?

12,000 invested every year for ten years

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

- big horse dick rat fink shifter on an automatic
- chrome wheels
- CD player
- carburetor
- “U-tube”
- old guys rule license plate frame

We have reached peak winga dinga. Upon parking, this vehicle spawns a miniature RC version of itself on its air cleaner. There are Garfield plushies in the backseat, which will always reappear no matter how many times they are removed. Vehicle will self immolate if driven more than three times per year.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/south-walpole-2005-porsche-kit-car/7006801660.html

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Facebook is only good at showing you what it thinks you want to see. If you want to lazily scroll through bad memes and pictures of your friends doing nothing it’s great at that, which is what most people want. Trying to find anything specific is usually impossible. This experience is consistent across all parts of using it, from shitposting to marketplace.

I hate it so much and I wish that it wasn’t the de facto communication tool for most of my friends.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

NitroSpazzz posted:

2000 Ford Ranger EV - $4900 in Waco, TX
50 mile range in a basic stripper model Ranger, what more could you want? As someone currently shopping EV's it's kind of tempting.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/474519483230747/

Great find. I want to buy it, put a diesel generator in the bed, and make a hybrid

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

beep-beep car is go posted:

I had a person I did IT support for at an old job that had a gigantic dealership style framed photo of one of these on her wall. I finally asked "Why a Buick Reatta?"
"Oh, when I first got started in the industry my boss drove one and I fell in love with the design and decided one day I'd own one, but this photo is as close as I can get"
"....you know, they're not too expensive right?"
"WHAT?"
*gets on Craigslist, finds a good shape one for 5 grand*
"See? Five grand and you're living the dream!"
And last I knew she bought one and loves it.

I love this story :3:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wow, those are two horrific experiences and good reason to value a safe car.

One of the reasons that a safer and more modern, fun to drive and engaging light car like a Fiesta ST, BRZ, ND Miata, is kind of a miracle when you think about it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

taqueso posted:

A roommate long ago had a geo storm in black with a yellow racing stripe, that thing was such a piece of poo poo but also somehow limped along forever. I think the tires might have been entirely filled with fix-a-flat.

Cars like that lack the power to fully kill themselves.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Just checked and wow, they are pretty drat cheap. It’s like it’s hard to pay more than 6 grand for a nice one.

It’s like a 350Z but somehow less desirable.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The truck for those too fancy for an el Camino

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
How in the hell are Fiero kits still around? How many donor cars can there be at this point? Like, it kind of made sense when a clean Fiero was easy to come by and cheap, but at this point most of them are rusty basket cases if they are still driving. The thought of tearing into one of those is nauseating.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Supposedly the six and three quarter is built like a fuckin tank with forged everything and has low compression for smoothness and will thus take boost very well

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Darchangel posted:

Pretty much.
“No fucks given” Corbin built one as a drift machine/polarizing art with a huge turbo and blow-through Holley. It’s got plenty of pier to spin the tires. His build is how I know about the diff. I hate some of the things he did with his car - it was in very good shape, and he ratted it a lot to stick with his NFG aesthetic.

Actually yeah that’s where I learned about it. I agree about him ruining one in nice shape. On one hand old Rolls in good shape are pretty easy to come by and pretty cheap for what they are, on the other hand they are also easy to come by in bad shape as well.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 12, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Doesn’t Facebook restrict the price range you can set for vehicles? I found somebody selling a pretty nicely done GC8 Impreza L wagon track car with a built EJ255 and 6 speed. He said he couldn’t list for his (in my mind, fair) asking price of 11,000 because Facebook wouldn’t accept that value, so he had to list it for 1100 and put the real price in the ad text.

On the other hand, I see people post stuff for 123,450 dollars all the time.

Also, the fact that everything defaults to automatic if you don’t select a transmission type, and search sucks, really makes me hate FB market place. But it gets a ton of eyes so people use it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Darchangel posted:

I'm having the opposite problem. Dude paid via Venmo for a display cabinet I was selling, and has yet to pick it up 3-4 weeks later. I don't want to keep pinging him, but I want the damned thing out of the garage - that's why I sold it. Trying to MarieKondo this poo poo.

If you want to be nice you could list it for sale again and refund the guy when it gets sold out from under him.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Octopus Magic posted:

Was there any "retro styled" american cars that were actually considered "good"? The SSR, HHR, Prowler, Thunderbird, PT Cruiser, they all sucked in numerous ways.

The PT cruiser is the butt of many a joke but it was a huge sales success and AFAIK fairly reliable and cheap to maintain for what it was. I personally am not a huge fan of retro styling but the Charger is great at being what it is, a big silly muscle car that looks good.

The Mustang and Camaro are well regarded of course but IMO they look so much better now that they have gotten away from retro styling a bit. I was interested in a used fifth gen Camaro as a platform for a track toy but looking at the pre-facelift ones made my stomach churn. God they’re awful.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 26, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Lmao

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Brass Hand posted:

That freaking owns

It’s like kraftwerk played at full volume in a 50’s diner

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Krakkles posted:

That CL ad is one of:
  • Just a scam/bullshit
  • The completely unknowledgeable owner for whom this was built (seems plausible given ^^^)
  • The constructor's ex, who wants to profit off of the sale but does not know what they have (although, the price belies this a little - they're obviously aware it's "valuable", but don't seem to know the technical side)
  • The deceased constructor's heir, otherwise same as above

Given it's CL, I'd bet on the first option, but the others aren't impossible.

I thought about the first one as well but the price is far too high for that IMO

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Legend has it there is a blue C10 for every engine. I wonder how much the BMW V12 one will go for?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
This one has the suspension and driveline of a Dodge Magnum :shrug:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/tucson-unique-1971chevy/7186196554.html

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Mind sharing the link? I want to offer them 3,200.

Edit:

ad posted:

Car has never been rebuilt

Hmmm yes this is definitely a distinguishing feature of this car and not something I wouldn’t expect on any 15 year old Subaru selling for more than 10,000 dollars :magemage:

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 18, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had a guy tell me that once and I'm a pasty white Canadian from Northern European ancestry. He told me "If you're not American, I don't trust you."

He later happily sold it to a Navajo chief having been fleeced by shifty honkies

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Nebakenezzer posted:

Post the most overpriced Monte Carlo "collector editions" U got

I’d love to see one of those on BaT to see what they actually go for...I’m sure somebody wants one, but I can’t imagine who or how much they’d pay. I mean there has probably never been a more legendary driver and race car based on a more unlegendary production car.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My mom had an '03 Bonneville with the supercharged 3800 and the torque steer was hilarious.

I don't think the LS4 made it in to any of the Special Edition Montes - Dale, Tony Stewart, or otherwise.

A friend in high school also had one (well, his mom did) and we managed to toggle the steering knuckle and get it stuck doing reverse donuts

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Why aren’t those shifters good? I’m genuinely curious and have no experience with them. It looks fun as hell to my brain, which has a child’s tastes and a magpie’s love of shiny stuff

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The oil, block, and exhaust system all should get to full temperature to burn everything off the catalytic converter and evaporate condensation and unburnt fuel. Cats these days are much better at heating up quickly, but oil dilution from unburnt fuel is still an issue if the car never gets all the way up to temp.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
A normal car being sold by a friendly gentleman:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/byfield-2005-manual-audi-allroad-rs/7256336735.html

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Throatwarbler posted:

Did they sell a C5 A6 Allroad in America with a manual? If not then this thing is converted to a manual?

If you read the rear end in a top hat’s tome of a description the driveline was swapped in from a RS4.

Now that I think about a S4, timing chain guides and all, would probably be less of a headache since at least that whole car is documented in one place

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes I got that, but if the original car was an auto then they would have had to add a clutch and convert the interior too which is uh

I did a quick google and there are a bunch of kits and guides out there to convert to stick. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was swapped but who knows.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
There is actually a (original) manual Allroad for sale on Carsandbids right now. There have been a few on BaT as well.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Me: Mom can we have a Sherp

Mom: We have sherp at home

Sherp at home:

Hermsgervørden posted:

From the folks who brought you the U2 spy plane and the SR-71 Blackbird:

DRAGON WAGON

I see this posted every once in a while on the heavy machinery section of bay area craigslist. It's been for sale since at least 2018.

If I didn't want to remain married I may have bought it and a little plot of land somewhere to park it. It's maybe the only truck I have ever wanted.

There is a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz_faXYIItk

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It probably sat for a while so who knows how the seals and other moving stuff are. With that said, those were actually pretty good cars and that’s the better engine.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Suburban Dad posted:

Not only that but I think that's a 1.8L since it doesn't even have the POWER BULGE (4g63 timing belt/cover clearance) in the hood. I too had a 92 AWD that was decently quick. It was a chore on upkeep though.

edit: decided to look up these things for old time's sake. Found this which is interesting: 27k mile, AWD turbo manual for only....20k, heh
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/4E3CT64U9NE012378?partner=CFB_5&fbclid=IwAR3mm1befO6p6yUnf3dGiHZE-HkVU0ZZcQkFvSRs0ng5sxXaH51tnPh17Ec

I wonder if it will sell for that much. On one hand that was a cool car from when I was growing up, and on paper it is like an Evo coupe. It should be off the charts cool. On the other hand DSM’s have zero JDM cred and don’t get the same love as other stuff from the 90’s tuner scene.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
These guys built a Miata with a WRX driveline stuffed into it. I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet but some of their other stuff is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iaKzao1ILo

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Coredump posted:

Larry I can't agree with your choice of paint job for an auto NB1.

It might be a manual, Facebook market place defaults to auto if you forget to select what the transmission is when you post it. Reminder: Facebook market place is objectively terrible and the only reason it has taken over Craigslist is because it force-shows listings to people who are otherwise sharing conspiracies or life hack videos.

The car looks like it is in very good shape besides the flames and Original Character Do Not Steal on the hood, what a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

KakerMix posted:

This is all true, but I'm fairly certain it took over because craigslist started charging $5 bucks a listing even if you were a private seller, where before it was free.

It can't be overstated how loving garbage facebook marketplace is though, you can't trust any listing for anything accurate when searching because facebook does stupid poo poo like the transmission thing, or auto-adding options for ??? reason.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I've selected manual and for some reason it has still showed up as automatic when I have sold on FB before.

Yeah my favorite is the arbitrary pricing restrictions. Rare WRX color and option combo in nice shape with low miles? No, you can’t list it for 8,000, that’s too much, it’s just an old Impreza. Guess you’ll have to list it for 1,234 and put the real price in the description. And that makes people spend more time looking at listings so that probably skews facebook’s metrics and they think it’s good. I have no idea why they do it, there’s no conceivable way it could reduce scamming.

And yeah Craigslist’s fee was probably a way to reduce scamming and has definitely wiped out a ton of listings.