Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
Good idea for a thread.

I tend to like the threads where a game is featured that either A) I played a lot as a kid or B) was a sequel/hack of one. I'm not sure why that makes an LP so much better--maybe the nostalgia factor, but probably something more.

Or if the author of the thread is an LP Superstar that we know makes good LPs. Otherwise, it's difficult to know whether or not it's worth the bother of opening the thread. Especially since most new LPers do a bad job when they first start, so the first video you check out may not be good even if that LPer does great later on.

Straight action games tend not to make good LPs, unless the author has done something really different with them, such as Oyster's insane level conditions for the Megaman series.

My favorite "newbie" LP at the moment is the Final Fantasy IV thread (the one with the "two moons" in the title). I normally don't like screenshot LPs as much as videos, but it has a lot of extra atmosphere in the commentary as well as a lot of trivia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
Judging by the games he chooses to LP, I'd be surprised if SirRon wasn't an SA member, or at least very familiar with its VLP history.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
It's not an issue with him not posting the stuff here, he's just not posting new videos period. He hasn't made many LP videos in the last year or so. Probably he lost interest in making LPs, but he could start up again someday.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
It's not entirely true that there's been no successful FF4 LP, but it is true that the game is extremely cursed. Not only have all FF4 attempts failed here, but off-site, the in/famous SirRonLionheart, who did several videos every day of games for about six months, suddenly ground to a halt literally just before the final boss of FF4 and hasn't done an LP since.

However, another well-known LP'er off-site named HCBailly did a complete FF4 LP, along with LP's of several other FF games. So it is possible.

• Locked thread