Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

E-Tap posted:

There's a few great one's Medibot's been in:
Mega Man X8
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kingdom Hearts II

Nearly every Sonic lp that Pokecapn's done Medibot's been in as well.
Sonic 2006
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight

He's working on a Kirby Super Star Saga in the Co-op megathread

It a departure from most others, but he also is in the DnD LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Talk, shmalk. The Pokemon Blue LP was about nothing but how to break the first generation games short of grabbing a hammer.

It is worth mentioning that after lighting a cart on fire, or soaking it in water, it will still work. Source: Let's Horribly Break Pokemon Red - Literal Edition

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bellmaker posted:

Mecca Prime is "LPing" Link's Awakening. I say "LPing" because he's all but snapping the cartridge over his knee with his shenanigans, similarly to Metroixer's "Let's Break Pokemon Blue" thread. Anyone who loves glitchruns should check it out.

You can almost hear the code begging for mercy.
What are you talking about? It's clearly the way the game is meant to be played :colbert:

I'd like to recommend flamedrake's LP of Resident Evil. It's a thorough subbed VLP with just the right touch of humour. He's completed Jill's scenario, but plans to do a voiced speedrun for Chris. His updates have been sporadic, to say the least, but if he doesn't continue updating, at least you get to see one scenario in its entirety.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Joe Bananas posted:

His first thread is slipping towards archives, so if you don't have that you'll need to catch it soon.

Mega Man - The unexpected Abraham
Mega Man 2 - Birth of a Legend
and currently ongoing...
Mega Man 3 - A Slide to the Top
[/effort post]

While the thread was worthwhile to read, the first two are archived here and here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

pumpinglemma posted:

I'd quite like to see a super-skilled glitch run. Speedruns use a lot of glitches, sure, but they don't generally stop to explain what's going on.

Demonstrate did make a series of videos going over the route he used in portal done pro. Fair warning: he doesn't edit out the repetitive parts, but he shows how to pull off all the glitches.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=359B764A0A3B8188

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Agent Tough Juice posted:

I have simple taste. Looking for some decent sidescroller LPs. Not skill or gimmick runs necessarily. Something along the lines of a Mario hack, but it doesn't have to be that. Thoughts?

You might also want to look at some LP's by Dectilon. Actraiser 2, a couple Rockman 2 romhacks, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, a Rockman 5 romhack.

I also highly recommend Simply Simon's Megaman LP's.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bellmaker posted:

Seconding this. It's the chillest LP I can think of and it's a coop game that isn't cuthroat(gasp).

It's also great for my insomniacism :shobon:

If you want chill, I cannot recommend Psymonkey's Kirby's Dream Course LP enough. He has a voice that epitomizes chill, and it's already a really relaxed game to begin with. If you have archives, the thread is here, but if you don't you can find the videos on his youtube channel here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
For informative LP's my two favourites are James315's Battlefield 1942 LP and Squint's Demon's Souls LP.

James315 shows off the different maps explaining the usual overall strategies each team takes. He even goes back to maps to play on the other team, or if a match is far from typical. One of the best things about the videos, though, is that he will give a brief analysis at the end about what went right, or wrong for both teams, and what could have been done to reverse the outcome.

Demon's Souls is a game with a reputation for being extremely difficult. Squint plays through it easily. He shows off where to find treasures, and how the world progresses through the game. Most importantly, he shows off how to approach the game, and in doing so, showcases how the difficulty isn't through bullshit the game throws at you. For the things he doesn't show off WeaponBoy has an abridged new game plus playthrough.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Epee Em posted:

Not to blow my own horn (among other things), but that reminds me of the Chrono X sub-LP I did that got archived along with MMBN1. The creators of the game actually responded to the LP and sent me feedback on YouTube. So, sort of along the lines of Drewseph commenting on the Metroid Redesign videos occasionally. Are there any other LPs where the game developers or related people noticed the LP and sent in feedback?

The only one that comes to mind was Yahtzee commenting on Quovak's LP of The Chzo Mythos. There's some of what he posted in the archive, but apparently there's a lot more in the actual thread (if you have archives) here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Squint's LP is amazing. It was actually one of the reasons I joined the forum. I have to give a shoutout to Test-0 and WeaponBoy for their punching only and new game plus runs respectively.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
You should look into some of Nidoking's LP's. The first one I watched was Toonstruck. It's an adventure game set in a cartoon. It has a lot of fun dialogue, and it doesn't hurt that the protagonist is Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd). There's also his LP of the Space Quest series. It can be a bit slow at times, but it's fun seeing the numerous ways Roger Wilco can die.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

MSPaintClock posted:

I don't care what it is but I want a hilarious VLP. I like to watch VLP's while I do other things, just to fill the dead air. I have enjoyed Voidburger's LP, the recent Homecoming Silent Hill LP, stuff by Doctor Roosevelt and group, the guy who did the Jurassic Park game and a lot of Slowbeef's stuff. Please recommend me something new to laugh at.

I really like the chemistry between Dectilon and Phiggle when they play through Megaman rom hacks together. There's quite a contrast between when Dectilon breezes through the levels, and Phiggle struggles through. In chronological order, they did Wily's Space Dream, then Rockman Exhaust and Rockman Minimum, and most recently, Rockman Minus Infinity. I have to say, in Exhaust and Minimum, Phiggle went all out with the editing, and added in some things that really made the videos superb.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
For screenshot LPs I would recommend ddegenha's LPs. He's LP'd a lot of SNES, NES and Gameboy RPGs, and has done quite a good job at it. He does a good job of explaining the mechanics, with a healthy dose of wit.

In particular, I'd recommend reading his Final Fantasy LP if you've played the game, or one of the remakes. It's not a story LP, but he goes through the game with several challenge parties including a solo fighter, and the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
A quick search on the master list shows two possible threads. I don't have archives, though, so I can't check them. The first is here, and the second here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
For a chill LP, I'd recommend Geop's Assassin's Creed LP. He has an extremely relaxing voice, and in the exploration videos are nicely slow paced. The assassination videos are less so, but they're still relatively relaxed. He's also really good with his post commentary, making it feel as though he's commentating live when he screws up.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd really like to recommend Kaubocks' Half Minute Hero LP. The game itself is a wonderful parody of JRPG cliches, and has some really great self-aware humour. Kaubocks is playing through the game, showing off everything the game has to offer, and has a great sense of humour about the whole thing. If nothing else, at least watch the first update.

This piece of fanart is also just too great for words.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tender Bender posted:

Can anyone recommend a VLP with a group that has good rapport but also stays on-topic and generally shares interesting info about the game? Similar to Slowbeef's Metroid Prime series. I tried out Tipping Forties (watched some of their Fable 2 LP) and they're not really my kind of thing, they seem a little too detached from the actual game.

I just watched Phenwah's Red Steel 2 LP. He and his two friends have a good chemistry together, and the game's combat is fun to watch.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lethemonster posted:

Someone recommend me LPs of JRPGs. Video, screenshot, whatever. I have a lot of free time in the next couple of weeks but I'm no where near my game collection. Just tell me it's good and it's a JRPG. :)

In the archive, ddegenha has quite a portfolio of SNES, NES and GB JRPGs. There's some variety in his style depending on the game. For Final Fantasy, he did a number of challenge runs, including a solo fighter run where he kills Warmech single-handedly. For Sword of Hope, he took the rather simple narrative, and fleshed it out to be very fairy-tale-esque.

He's currently LPing Seiken Densetsu 3, and his his characterization of the party is absolutely wonderful.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ferndavant posted:

Anymore chill video Let's Plays out there? Preferably completed and lengthy.

I strongly recommend you watch Geop's Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2 LPs. He's an exceptionally chill guy, and the amount of effort he puts into researching the people that show up in the games is phenomenal.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

FinalSin posted:

I'm off on a mind-numbing six-day trip this week. Last year I was kept sane by the excellent Final Fantasy VII LP and the equally-excellent Chrono Trigger LP. Both are currently in a slow-patch, so tell me: what are your favourite SSLPs that are going on right now that I can catch up on this week in the downtime? Humour a plus (this trip is also incredibly depressing).

Thanks all.

Since you mentioned a couple JRPGs, I'd recommend ddegenha's Seiken Densetsu 3 LP. If you're not familiar with the title, it's the sequel to Secret of Mana that was never released outside Japan. He really adds a lot to the game with his added dialogue. It's witty, and a great way to poke fun at the game. If you like his stuff, he also has quite a few completed LPs.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chexoid posted:

I'm a big loser nerd who puts LP's on in the background when I go to sleep. Bring unto me an LP that is nice and mellow, without lots of people laughing all loud and junk.

While I don't condone falling asleep to these, Squint's Demon's Souls, and Geop's Assassin's Creed LPs have very easy commentary to listen to, and are some of the best LPs I've seen. His videos are shorter, but WilliamLongfellow has a very calming voice, and has done Pilotwings.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Recently, I bought the archives upgrade. What I'm wondering is, which LPs are made even better by reading the original thread?

The first one I can think of off hand is The Chzo Mythos. Mainly because of the notice at the top. Some of Yahtzee's commentary is archived, but there's more that you'd have to go through the thread to see.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Vinlaen posted:

Can anybody give me some recommendations on some video (not screenshot), really informative LP's? (I've searched on lparchive.org and it gave me a list but I'm not sure the quality of them)

Basically, I'm looking for an LP where somebody really knows a lot about the game and not just a bunch of idiots playing it together not really saying anything interesting...

(I'm espicially interested in Sierra games if any of that stuff exists with informative commentary but I'm open to all suggestions for anything interesting!)

Three of my favourites are extremely informative, albeit in different ways. Demon's Souls is great with how thoroughly Squint goes over all of the game's content and secrets. He goes out of his way to show off as much as possible, and for what he can't there are a couple other playthroughs from other goons.

Assassin's Creed is different because Geop goes into a lot of the history of the era. He's also done Assassin's Creed 2, if you're more interested in Renaissance Italy.

Finally, Battlefield 1942 is a multiplayer LP, but James315 does a fantastic job of explaining tactics, and strategy for all of his matches. One of the things I really like about it are his closing thoughts about how the match went, and how the losing team could have turned it around.

These aren't old school adventure games, but these are must watches if you like informative LPs IMO.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jesto posted:

Has any other LP in this forum had the game's designer swing by?

In Psychedelic Eyeball's Super Meat Boy LP, he got RockLeeSmile to guest in the video of his custom chapter, The Passenger.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Krysmphoenix posted:

Seconding these. The storylines in these games are not serious, but it's fun seeing them make fun of it. It's done by people who are good at the game and can explain what and why they do what they do.

Actually Paul's LP of the first is kind of done, he's just going through Advanced Campaign / gently caress You Hard Mode, and doing it with videos which...actually works surprisingly well.

One of the reasons they work well is that you really see his thinking process. Rather than "I need to be careful of this artillery" you get to see exactly how he checks everything, and contemplate his tactics. I wouldn't want to watch it for the main LP, but as bonus content, it works a lot better than I would have expected.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sylphid posted:

This is one of my favorites. Squint pretty much never raises his voice very much, never gets worked up, and just generally knows what he's talking about. The definition of "chill".

Just watch out for that one screamer in the marked video.

Another exceptionally good LP is James 315's Battlefield 1942 Multiplayer LP. Especially considering it's a multiplayer game, he does an exceptional job of introducing all the mechanics at a reasonable pace. He covers tactics, strategy and recaps what went right/wrong really well at the end of each match.

His commentary is very calm, and all together, it's an extremely engaging LP. On a random note, his was the only LP I've watched where I've wondered whether it was live or post commentary.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You may be right on FFX-2, but from some of the discussion in the FFX thread, it sounds like it to take place after the end of FFX, so I'll hold off on it.
It does. If you're interested in the story of FFX, then definitely hold off on FFX-2 as it has some pretty significant spoilers.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

SWMadness posted:

So I just finished re-reading the Icewind Dale 2 LP in the archive, and I want to find other good narrative-driven humorous screen-shot LPs like that to kill time in between classes. Got any recommendations?

I haven't read that LP, so I don't know whether it's similar, but I'd recommend ddegenha's Seiken Densetsu 3 LP. The first few updates are written fairly straight, with a touch of cynicism, but what I really enjoyed about it was all the extra characterization for the cast. It was very well done, and added a lot, even on the second and third playthroughs. I'm not usually a big fan of SSLPs, but this one held my interest all the way through, in spite of the fact that I'd played through it before.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Renzuko posted:

Most completed lps are on the lp archive, so unless you want to actively read the other members posts during the lp it doesn't matter much.

Quovak's The Chzo Mythos LP is one I'd imagine is better when you can read the thread. Yahtzee, who made the games, apparently frequently posted in the thread, and while some of his posts were quoted and preserved, it sounds like there's a lot that wasn't archived. I can't confirm this, though, as I don't have archives.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Are there any good video Let's Plays that involve a group of guys just shooting poo poo while playing very cheesy JRPGs? The Final Fantasy XIII-2 and the recent Xenosaga threads were like that, but the former featured an interminably boring game and the other has gone a month without an update.

I'm sorry for causing the hiatus, but there have been a couple updates since August.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ledsen posted:

I've got a pretty good handle on current threads and I've also got an ongoing list of LPs I might watch someday, but what I'd really like is to put together a good long list of the very best video LPs this forum has seen, just to get a good sense of what I've missed. Is there such a list that I've missed, or would this be the best thread to ask you guys what your favorite video LP's of all time are?
I like very informative LPs, and my favourites are Demon's Souls by Squint et al., Battlefield 1942 by James 315, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 by Geop, and Half-Minute Hero by Kaubocks.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a ridiculous, amateur-made graphic novel with a dumb name and a looped Beethoven (?) composition for soundtrack that was LP'd some time ago. It was notable because the author actually dropped into the thread.

Anybody able to help?

Do you mean Torn Apart: Over the Net; Kay?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Little_wh0re posted:

My 5 year old nephew, my sister has informed me, likes watching people play minecraft. Do people have any other suggestions for LPs that would be both accessable and has language suitable for the very young?

I don't know how accessible it would be, but the first LP I can think of that I'm fairly sure is language appropriate is Psymonkey's LP of Kirby's Dream Course.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lazyfire posted:

Wait, how far into it are you? I've only been watching sporadically, so I'm not to episode 18 yet.

I think we're up to episode 35 or 36 by now.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's a bit of a niche, but it's always cool when a developer drops by an LP of their game. The only one I can remember offhand is Quovak's LP of The Chzo Mythos, where many of Yahtzee's comments were included in the archive. The games are point and click adventures, and Quovak shows where they work, where they don't, and breaks down why they do or don't. It's critical, but not overwhelmingly so, and Yahtzee's retrospective commentary really complements Quovak's analysis.

For an LPer, I'd like to throw a mention to ddegenha, who does some really good SSLPs of JRPGs. I'll throw a mention to his LP of Seiken Densetsu 3. He really manages to add a lot to the game with his characterizations, and it really says something when the multiple playthroughs are all worth reading, even through the repeated events.

For solo commentary, my two favourite LPs have to be Battlefield 1942 by James315, and Demon's Souls by Squint. Both are incredibly skillful LPs, with insightful and engaging commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Geop posted:

I need links and better information if you want it on the list, guys :staredog: Kinda like so:

Game Name by Goongoon - This LP was good because etc etc

Kinda like Lazyfire did! Sounds a bit pedantic, but if we get lots of recommendations, it'll be easier for me to put the list together this way :v:

Lemme fix up my recommendations for you.

SSLPs

The Chzo Mythos by Quovak - The games are point and click adventures, and Quovak shows where they work, where they don't, and breaks down why they do or don't. It's critical, but not overwhelmingly so, and Yahtzee's retrospective commentary really complements Quovak's analysis.

Narrative SSLP
ddegenha - He does some pretty good SSLPs of JRPGs. He likes to add his own characterization to add a bit of humour, and it really adds to his LPs. It's well done, and feels right at home. For a representative LP, I'd recommend Seiken Densetsu 3, where his added characterization makes even the repeated playthroughs completely worth reading.

Solo commentary VLPs
Battlefield 1942 by James315 - He is incredibly skilled at the game, and despite being a strictly multiplayer game, everything is introduced at a reasonable rate, and is always engaging. At the end of each map, he gives a good overview of what went well for each side, and how the outcome of the game could have changed.

Demon's Souls by Squint - Squint is incredibly thorough showing off a ton of what the game has to offer. He points out a lot of plot elements that may otherwise be missed. To complement his playthrough, there are a couple others: one for a new game+ playthrough, and the punchyfist run.

• Locked thread