Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chamberlain garage door opener. Unit is older 3/4 hp drive.

Noticed the garage door opener lights weren’t coming on when the garage door was activated. Not sure if they were ever working. Trying to isolate the issue.

1) replaced both bulbs. No light. Tried incandescent and LED, no luck on either.
2) can hear the relay click when I press the light button as well as when I plug in the opener. This seems to rule out the logic board and point to the sockets.
3) replaced both light bulb sockets. Incandescent bulb does not work. LED bulb does light up but it is very, very dim. We’re talking firefly bug dim.

What next? Replace the board or the entire unit if it’s more cost effective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does anyone make slip over insulation for a 4” duct? Fixing some PO stuff which includes ducting the bathroom vents using uninsulated 4” flexible duct. Would be fine if it didn’t get cold here and cause the hot, moist air to condense on the duct in the attic and drip.

Otherwise I can just remove it and install some new pre-insulated 4” ducting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Just decided to get after it. Lots of strange gouges and poorly filled nail holes. None of the other walls in my house are this crazy. I should probably just install a new wall or tear down the house and rebuild.

Some of those look awfully thick. Is that well textured?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Those energy bills tho

510lbs jesus

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If I had the room and it wouldn’t look insane to a potential home buyer I’d rock a separate fridge and freezer. I had the side by side before and now I have the bottom freezer style and they both suck in different ways. I will say that if you’re primarily using the fridge more often than the freezer the bottom style is more convenient, as everything is waist high or up.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hi, I hate basement waterproofing. Thanks for reading.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mutata posted:

Harbor Freight has a coupon for everything, all the time

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SA Forums Poster posted:

What is a good brand/model for a battery powered chainsaw?

Looking to buy a chainsaw, drill, screwdriver. Any recommendations? There is Home Depot, Lowe's, and Harbor Freight nearby to choose from.

I have the Ryobi electric one, and it works fine if you just want to trim branches, cut some small trees/brush, etc. I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than say 4".

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Look up the model number and see if there are any guides for accessing the control panel (or try to figure it out yourself.) While you're at it, see if it's actually possible to find/buy parts for that model.

Quite frankly, if your dishwasher has a dial, it's probably a very basic 'builder' model and at least 15 years old. It's probably not worth putting much money or effort into it, because it's outlived its useful life, and modern dishwashers are better in almost every conceivable way. If you can fix it for <$30, it might be worth it to get another year or so out of it, but I'd consider that borrowed time.

Plus the new dishwashers are so quiet compared to old ones, if that’s a factor.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am 100% loving my electric mower. No more gas small engine shenanigans.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

So I'm trying to use ratchet straps as hammock hangers on trees, and I cannot figure out how to do it. There are no good YouTube videos about this, and I've come up empty handed on noon video tutorials. Can anyone offer advice?

Why aren’t you using hammock straps?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pendant light over the kitchen island. 1st floor of a 2 story with a basement, roughly 1/3 of the way in from the back wall of the house. Heavy rain dumped for about 30 minutes, enough to make the yard more of a lake. Water dripping from the light fixture. I hit the breaker and pulled the light and box from the ceiling. Directly above the light is a waste water pipe and close by is the hot/cold which I believe are either running to the kitchen sink or the bathroom almost directly above.

I can’t find anything actively leaking, although I don’t have an endoscope to stick up there. It definitely seems tied to the rain as there’s no more rain and no more leakage right now but I’m a little confused on what could cause this. There’s no leak in the attic that I can see and the upstairs sink, toilet or shower hadn’t been used in several hours.

Perhaps some sort of flashing issue and the water is traveling along...something, and the coming out the lowest spot? The home is 1957 brick veneer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Not helpful, but I was wondering if there is an endoscope people recommend for peering in ceilings/walls/etc. I have a spot I want to take a peek without having to saw enough room to climb through.

Ill let you know tomorrow!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Could be the temperature swing from the rain caused condensation on a cold pipe which then dripped.?

kid sinister posted:

I'd say it's a flashing issue. Look up on your roof around there for vents.

Jaded Burnout posted:

That was my first thought, it could even just be running along the inside of your ceiling to the nearest / most downhill light hole. There was a discussion about tracing leaks in I think the plumbing thread with some good advice.

I bought one for my father that was basically a USB camera on a long cable with a light in it and he loves it, but the one B-Nasty posted looks much more convenient.

Thanks all. I don’t think it’s condensation, I believe all the pipes are PVC or otherwise not metal. On the back of the house there are some vents but I don’t think it rained sideway enough to get water in there. Of course it’s a clay tile roof so I can’t even walk on it easily to look for damage.

I’m going to run the endoscope today to see if I can any ideas. The chimney is sort of close so it could be a flashing issue there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 25, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Whoever installed this ceiling fixture can suck my dick for eternity. Put a loving 1x4 in between the rafters and screw it in place by drilling holes up through the ceiling, through the drywall, then having them patched and painted over.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Wait what? Like it's just sitting on top of the ceiling drywall, and they just screwed up into it from the room?

Also can someone link a decent blade to cut the heads off 1/2 inch lag bolts?

I have an oscillations multi tool and a smaller Dremel but there's so many choices for blades. I really only need to cut a handful ~10 of them, max.

Yes, exactly that. A 1/2” hole was drilled in the middle and the wires dropped through for the light.

I put in screws from the side through the rafters and L brackets into the 1x4 to the rafters. It’s plenty secure now but jfc who does this poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The ceiling fan that I hung about a week ago has the light portion randomly turning on. It happened last night around 1030pm and today around 1pm. I didn’t change the dip switches from the default, so I’m wondering if it’s picking up a neighbors signal. This is a HD fan, but I can’t remember the brand off hand. I assume it’s a fairly common brand. The bulb is a built in LED unit.

In order of likelihood:
1. Interference
2. Some sort of power surge on the line?
3. Ghosts

I’m going to change the dip switches and see if that fixes it, any other ideas if that doesn’t work? Seems weird it would just start now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 10, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You bought the house like this without being able to do the work yourself, or have an idea what it will cost?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shoot a gun through it imo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a couple light strips and they all do this. How do you feel about staples?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Feenix posted:

But it didn’t for years... do we think the rubber casing just degrades or gets oily over time??

I’m not sure what kind of staples, I’d be afraid of loving up the strip...

What I’ve done is just shoot a few staples out of the stapler, put them over the light strip, then tack it down lightly. If you use the stapler you might crush the strip like you mentioned.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

What's on the sides of the walkway? Can you just throw down some bricks/pavers to widen the walkway?

You could also do what some of my neighbors do and just leave your trash bins at the street all week.

Be like me and live in a city where they drive side by sides to your house and empty the cans for you.

Yes, the property taxes are as bad as you expect.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My special garbage bins :qq:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know if it’s possible to wire in a battery backup for a garage door opener that doesn’t have one from the factory? Google is failing me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

1) you should have a 'human' door to get in/out of the garage.

2) there should be a release at the driveline door block that frees the door bracket from the opener drive-line. Usually a red handle dangling from a short rope at the travel block, where the door attaches to the opener. This allows the door to be operated manually if the opener or power fails.

Getting out isn’t the problem, it’s getting in. I could park the car, go around to the back door and get in the house that way, but I’m just looking for a way to get the garage door up in as few steps as possible if I come home to a no power situation.

Nevets posted:

I think it will probably depend on the model you have, my guess is that some brands have it as an add-on and some have it hard wired on the pricier models and no ability to add one on the cheaper ones.

A quick google shows that you might be able to just plug your existing one into a sufficiently rated computer UPS if you don't mind the annoying beeps during an outage.

This is a good call, I’ll look into this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

I used this as an exact blueprint, and now my family is dead. I want my money back.

Venmo this man his $20.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

How the gently caress is an average person supposed to hear the words “rotary hammer”, “hammer drill”, and “rotary hammer drill”, and magically conclude that they’re 2 or 3 totally different things? Most people would hear those phrases and think they’re 3 names for the same one thing, because apart from one being slightly better for drilling and another being slightly better for hammering, they look pretty much the same unless you know tools good.

And y’all can go ahead and gently caress right off with that rap sheet poo poo too. I’m loving sick and tired of that poo poo.

You should also buy some shop towels to help clean up your meltdown

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tortilla Maker posted:

Had a water leak on my main level (kitchen area) due to a sink/faucet mishap. Kitchen flooded and water has seeped below to finished basement. :ohdear:

Have towels/buckets catching areas where the water is pooling and dripping.

Should I go ahead and cut out sections of the drywall/flooring where there's clear water damage?

Guessing it'll take a few days for contractors to come out and give estimates on courses of action. :(

This sounds pretty big, what’s your HO deductible?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m confused as to why you can’t just install an actual curtain rod. Even if it’s a rental you can patch and paint the holes if the apartment complex said anything. I can’t imagine they would raise a stink if you left a nicer curtain rod, though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Any excuse to steal your security deposit.

Thats why I said patch and paint it, if it's that much of a concern.

It seems incredibly dumb to not fix the problem and instead people are recommending putting foil in your window, which makes it look like you live in a crackhouse.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I guess you've not met too many bastard landlords. I completely understand someone's desire to not have to add yet another lump of stress onto moving out, having to negotiate with a landlord about what is or isn't a good enough paint job.

If they're that much a dickhead they're definitely going to have an issue with someone putting cardboard or aluminum foil in the windows.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ok you got me, put up foil in your windows instead of being a rational human being and putting up a proper curtain rod, the goons have spoken

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why don’t you just mount it to the magazine?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Ryobi 40v mower is awesome and lasts a good hour or so.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

We're going to buy one of those crappy above ground "pools" because the summer is just about upon us and covid-19 has caused us to lose our minds. I'll wait for you to stop laughing.

Please stop laughing.

Fine. It's 12ft x 30" deep, or 250cu ft (squared off) or ~1800 gallons/2.4 ccf (our billing unit) of water. We want it to survive one season as right now both of our pools (grandma's, the gym's) aren't available for us to use. It's going to be 100F outside and my 4 year old has already lost his mind, hoping to use it as a way for all of us to just stay cool and splash around. Does it make sense to even bother with chemicals in this thing? If so, is there a flow chart for this I can follow? Hoping not to be constantly draining and filling it, but if that's what makes sense so be it.

It's something like this: https://www.target.com/p/bestway-10-feet-x-30-steel-pro-max-round-above-ground-swimming-pool-with-pump/-/A-76133310 , if there is a smarter / lower TCO thing to buy for a season like the $850 saltwater version, let me know. Target has free returns. :v:

I bought this pool last year and this little floating contraption you put chlorine tabs in. If you don't, your pool is going to be nasty, regardless of the size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TTDYLA
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MHTT44

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I ignored them all and ordered the Stanley TLM50 yesterday. It just arrived and is everything I need. I went for the cheapest one from a brand that I recognized. It only measures up to 15m, but since I only need it to measure indoor stuff that's fine.

Measure your plastic lawn with it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FPS_Sage posted:

Yesterday, I had a roofing & siding company ring my doorbell and offer to do a free inspection of my house. They were already doing work at one of my neighbor's houses. Of course they found some damage since that's what they're paid to do (although to be fair we did have some hail here about a month ago so I'm sure I got damaged somehow). They claimed they would work directly with my insurance company and that I wouldn't have to pay anything for a new roof and siding since they could link it back to that hailstorm.

That sounds too good to be true. (In fact, thinking back about the conversation, I wonder if they actually said that or just strongly implied it.) My roofing and siding is older, maybe ~15 years. Would the insurance actually agree to replace everything? Or would they say, hey, your roof is old, most of this is normal wear and tear so you're on your own?

I've done some googling on this, and it sounds like some of these companies may be legit, but others may not be, and they get you to sign a bunch of contracts basically locking you in and then say “you still have to use us even though insurance is only covering a fraction of the price.”

Long story short, has anyone used a company like this in the past? How did it work out? Or am I better trying to deal with my insurance company directly, and then choosing a contractor on my own?

Edit - Unfortunately, I don't really know my neighbor. Not trying to be the typical anti-social goon, I tried to stop by a couple times to ask what his experience was with this company. He rents his house out and so I never see him there, and I think he must be in-between tenants right now.

Are they actually working on your neighbor's house? This is a common angle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Last time they replaced carpet in my house when they were done I pointed out that there was an extra vent and the guys got an oh poo poo look on their faces and went and found it. It happens, but the installers should have realized they had an extra floor register.

I had a house built one time and I couldn’t find the main air intake in the house. The bedrooms all had a 12x12” return but nothing else in the house. The superintendent said that was how the house was built. I went into the attic and you could clearly see the giant duct leading down to the ceiling in the front hallway, where an 18x36” vent would be, if they hadn’t drywalled over the entire thing. The superintendent also made an oh poo poo face.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deadite posted:

This is probably a stupid question but can you buy lengths of hose to use as a drain? I bought a dehumidifier that has a hookup for a hose drain, and all the photos just show a cut garden hose. I don’t have an old hose to cut up though. Do I just buy a new hose for this?

If you need a short hose look up “hook up hose”

This what I have on my dehumidifier.
Teknor Apex 7533-4 Hook Up Hose - 1/2" x 4' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167U0PG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Honestly I’d be surprised if either of those were actually still working. I have both an electronic air cleaner and a humidifier on my furnace and neither work. Just use a nice filter. It’s very humid here so I have no desire to add more humidity to the air, even in winter.

They seemed to be in fashion for a period of time but not used anymore.