Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I love simplicity.

Next project is probably gonna be a platform bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I bought 2 of these Eames Herman Miller fiberglass chairs from my neighbors for 2 bux this weekend.

After some sanding and painting and lots of little fiberglass slivers in my arms, they turned out pretty well.

I need to get some new glides but I might just do the put tennis balls on the feet trick.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The project was to make a new monitor stand for my LCD tv/hd monitor. One of the reasons other then the stock stand was junk was to be able to play Ikaruga with the monitor set vertically.
A couple days ago I finally found a cheap lcd mount that was on clearance, so the game was on.

Heres a before pic.

I forgot to take the camera to the wood shop so all I have are the assembly of the monitor to the stand.
Back of stand and the mounting plate.

Mounting the plate on monitor.

I made sure to make room for the cords.

Here it is set up in the little stand I made.

and set vertical for HD Ikaruga awesomeness.

To finish it I will just do a light rubbed on coat of French Lacquer.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I started my long board press today, and am making it out of reclaimed oak planks.

I also picked up some cheap plywood at the lumber supplier, these are all topsheets from when stuff is shipped, it will be perfect for some test decks.

It included a sheet of baltic birch. :dong:

Here is the largest piece of oak after being planed and having one side jointed.

Here is the cut up pile of plywood, cut in 4 1/2 foot and 3 1/2 respectively.
The longest one is for the bottom of the press.

A couple test curves.

The 3 1/2 foot birch.

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have a test board in the press, and can be riding around on a ghetto plywood board by the end of the week.

The press is just going to be simple and hopefully I can start making some boards with some rich mahogany veneers on them.

I am going to pull a Ron Swanson and start leaving furniture quality longboards in my friends offices.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I completed my press!
Spent most of yesterday working on this and got a board in it at like 2 am last night.

I got 3 pics taken before my camera decide to give up the ghost.

Then I finished assembly last night and and put a couple of pieces of ply in to test the shape.

The reclaimed oak is pretty, since its all weathered and full of worm holes. :nature:

Pics are horrible because I had to use photobooth on my hackentosh netbook.
Empty Press

top of press

2 sheets of ply glued with 4 hour epoxy

Crappy blank ready to cut.

The plan is to try to make a drop thru, I just need to borrow my buddies boards so I can make some traces.
It looks pretty smooth except, that I need to take the belt sander to the press an fix the angle on a couple of the ribs.

All this was done with out any plans except for looking at the toothless page. http://users.telenet.be/Toothless/Toothless/pages/instructions/press/press.html
When you make stuff out of scraps and reclaimed wood it means you have to just MacGyver it and go with your gut.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I decided to make a desk/drafting table the other day. I ended up using scraps from past jobs and just put it together without a tape measure or any plans to speak of.

The top is a solid oak door, and the legs are leftovers from a banister. The rails are some maple I had lying around and a piece of finished baseboard that we had left over as scrap.
I used 2 stainless steel cabinet handles for my pencil holders.
Now all I need to do now is find a drafting base for one of my many Eames Shell Chairs I have lying around.
http://justinmodern.blogspot.com/2010/09/charles-eames-drafting-stool-herman.html

TheGoonspiracist fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 10, 2010

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I like your caster fix for your yellow chair - I've never seen it done with a tennis ball before. Is that to fix a broken caster, or simply to make it slide on the carpet easier?

A common problem with those Eames fiberglass chairs is the nylon feet break off. Using tennis balls so you don't destroy your floor or carpet is a old school teacher trick.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I straightline ripped a bunch of scrap oak the other night at 5/8" thick to test build a couple vlam longboards.

I used mostly tiger stripe pieces in this one and glued it to piece of birch plywood.
It might not bet the most advanced and stable thing when finished but it's going to look kickin rad.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

wormil posted:

What will you be using them for?

Are you concerned about the oak expanding and contracting while glued to the plywood? Seems like it would rip itself apart.

I really don't know if they will get much use anytime soon, unless I move to warmer climates. We got 4 inches of snow the other day.

I was really just wondering if it was even possible at all. It might be a exercise if futility and not be a useable design. It has a camber and a concave built into it and that is going to put a lot of stress on the glue joints and so wood glue might not be strong enough.
I might fiber glass it once I get the design cut, but other then that I really just needed a project to keep my self busy from the massive amounts of boredom I have been suffering lately.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I got bored tonight and decided rebuild my ipod stereo. I had taken it apart hoping I would be able to retrofit it into a old am tube radio I have sitting around, but it turned out that was not feasible.

I used some of my scrap oak and went to work with some simple lamination and this is what happened by the end of the night.
The Ghetto Oak Ipod box was born.

Excuse the glue lines and pin nail holes. I don't have a planer here and just built it with out any plans.
Whoops.

More longboard pics to come in the next week or so.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I cut out the skate board I was working on.

Next step is to glue the couple spots the are void with epoxy and then coat the bottom in resin for strength.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Put up some floating shelves made of Tiger Wood flooring planks. I have less vertical stacked books now which is a good thing.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I just used some simple shelf brackets off of Amazon and put them into the studs. One book on the 2nd shelf down might be slightly structural, but just to keep the top shelf from bowing.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I finally found a base for a live edge top that I've been dragging around for years.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

It had been sitting for years in the attic at my father's property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Megabound posted:

This is a great idea, I've started a Restoration and Repair thread cause I also wanna see what everyone else is fixing.

I'll try to pop in there every once in awhile, I've done antique repair and restoration for 20 years.