Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Tremek posted:

Rear bumpers are nuts. The production version of the Slee dual swingout on my 200 is like $6k USD installed (mine is preproduction and was significantly cheaper.)

Any steel back there is better than factory plastic.

And how! I keep looking at rear bumpers for the 4Runner and bumping that purchase farther and farther down the list because the cost/benefit ratio just isn’t there for me yet. I’m looking at a mere $3000-3500 in parts (installation will be on me) and those dollars could be much better spent going towards a camper trailer or a refrigerator plus secondary power system for the truck.

I’ve been looking at the no swing out option as a way to save $$$ but even then we’re talking $2-2.5K.

Ok that is enough first world whining from me.

Group photo with friends

Sweet XJ setup, OM606 motor swap, fridge, freezer, hot running water, roof tent, all the comforts of home

Spoiled dog doesn’t get her feets wet

A little custom bracketology mocked up in plywood for a mini awning over the tailgate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Arishtat posted:

Group photo with friends

Oh hey I'm in that shot! From another angle.

I just got into overlanding/offroading this year cause of this idiot and a few of his friends and I love it. Did my first bit of wheeling this month and already sunk 1K into a new set of tires (old ones were scalloped by prior owner and the treads were on the low side). Very excited to get the Grabber X3s on them Friday.

Anyhow some more shots of the car in places it's only kinda supposed to be in.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tremek posted:

For sake of clarity - maybe this is a regional language thing - when you say towbar, are you saying the trailer hitch receiver on the frame of the LC is removed and replaced by one integral to the bumper, and the OEM receiver is not retained? When you write towbar I think this:

As you wrote on Slee's setup on my truck, the OEM trailer hitch receiver is retained behind the new Slee steel.

Yeah, I guess you guys call em hitch receivers. On the ARB and kaymar bars, the OEM tow assembly is removed and replaced with one integrated into the rear bar itself.

Where as the cheaper ones like this powerful 4x4 one retain the factory tow bar

It’s a lot cheaper because your not building a whole new tow bar and the certification that goes with it, but you do loose a bit of departure angle.

And we call the tow assemblies on front bumpers A frames normally

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hey whatever happened to FJ Cruiser dude with the dope orange/yellow/red TRD vinyl on it? I remember he said he removed it and had something even cooler planned to replace it but that was like a year ago and I haven't seen it! The suspense is killing me!

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

T-Square posted:

Hey whatever happened to FJ Cruiser dude with the dope orange/yellow/red TRD vinyl on it? I remember he said he removed it and had something even cooler planned to replace it but that was like a year ago and I haven't seen it! The suspense is killing me!

That was me. I did remove it a while back after getting some body damage on a trail. I had planned to replace it with a gaudy 90's neon windbreaker type pattern but then life got in the way and I never got around to it.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Bremma posted:

Oh hey I'm in that shot! From another angle.

I just got into overlanding/offroading this year cause of this idiot and a few of his friends and I love it. Did my first bit of wheeling this month and already sunk 1K into a new set of tires (old ones were scalloped by prior owner and the treads were on the low side). Very excited to get the Grabber X3s on them Friday.

Anyhow some more shots of the car in places it's only kinda supposed to be in.

Can confirm good times were had by all. Props to Bremma for jumping in with both feet and wheeling her FJ first before going all crazy on modifications.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Geology posted:

That was me. I did remove it a while back after getting some body damage on a trail. I had planned to replace it with a gaudy 90's neon windbreaker type pattern but then life got in the way and I never got around to it.

Aw man, that's a bummer :(

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arishtat posted:

Can confirm good times were had by all. Props to Bremma for jumping in with both feet and wheeling her FJ first before going all crazy on modifications.

I see so many fjs just driving to the mall and stuff here

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I see a good number here that just seem to be peoples every day whatever truck/car, but they do SO WELL stock offroad! If not for the combo of the wear and scalloping on the tires, I'd probably not have done any mods yet to the FJ I have.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bremma posted:

Yeah, I see a good number here that just seem to be peoples every day whatever truck/car, but they do SO WELL stock offroad! If not for the combo of the wear and scalloping on the tires, I'd probably not have done any mods yet to the FJ I have.

I don't understand it as a daily, you could sell it for more than it cost you new and buy a sick daily driver

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

That's true too, they're super popular and I got my 2008 for a relative steal, but yeah they don't really lose value unless you abuse them and even then someone might be willing to take it for a fixer upper.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think of them as being in storage. Today's daily driven FJ is someone's future steal of the century.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just gotta scrape all of the Zombie Patrol Task Force stickers off of them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

FogHelmut posted:

Just gotta scrape all of the Zombie Patrol Task Force stickers off of them.

Maybe the bedliner paint job will preserve the factory paint really well

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The fact that they didn't offer the manual drivetrain in the 4runner (hell they didn't even offer a manual after 2000) pisses me off to no end. A runner is so much more capable of carrying people plus gear than an fj, and I want manual with full time drat it!

(The manual fj has full time 4wd vs part time for the auto)

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 23, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe the bedliner paint job will preserve the factory paint really well

After attempting to scrape that poo poo off a rifle stock, I'm gonna say no. Must have been applied warm, it leaked through the shellac in places.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Just think of them as being in storage. Today's daily driven FJ is someone's future steal of the century.

It's not, they're like 40 grand lmao

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Why Toyota never dropped a diesel in the FJ will always be a mystery. They didnt sell well against the prado here in Aus and a big part of that was the lack of a diesel option- To the point where during the latest facelift Toyota dropped the V6 gas option from the prado because the sales didnt support it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Did you know you can buy a brand new 2019 fj cruiser?

But only in loving Oman. What the gently caress Toyota.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought an 08 FJ with the offroad package in 2007. I think I paid 28 grand. Had it for five years and got 24,500 for trade in IIRC. Had real low miles on it tbf.

Wanted to keep it but I moved and took a job with a massive commute and I didn't want to put a million miles on it.

e: here she is right after I moved to AK

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 24, 2019

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Tremek posted:

My primary complaint is an engine that's going on 25 years old that had 150hp and 177 lb ft at the crank in 1995 behind the more-common A340 (good) 4-speed auto transmission in a 4,000 lb vehicle is going to be very, very slow on modern roads. Start loading that truck up with recovery gear, a friend or two and a dog, maybe some camping equipment, and all of the above is dramatically exacerbated. Same reason I wouldn't recommend an 80 to anyone other than someone who knows what they're getting into. In all but the most extreme cases there's no reason to be stuck doing 30 mph in the right lane with your flashers on going over passes anymore with the proliferation of easily available hp/tq in larger and sometimes more reliable engines (see the 300k/$3750? GX470 I linked above a few days ago.)

Yeah part of your feedback (much as mine is) is colored by your region. I have taken our 200 up over treeline here in CO a number of times, and frankly it's not wanting for clearance in most scenarios that I have been in. Then again many of our trails out here compared to the east coast are less forested, probably more rocky on the whole, and we frequently break out above treeline on the higher trails in the mountains where width matters less.

For clarity's sake I was complaining about the 3.5L Ecoboost TTV6 in my Raptor more than anything, I don't think Toyota has anything turbo in any of their BoF trucks currently although frankly either of Ford's 2.7 TTV6 or 3.5 TTV6 variants in a 4runner or Tacoma would probably be an improvement over the Toyota NA 3.5 V6.

You know i've been thinking more about trading in my 5th gen 4r for a raptor but I really doubt it's gonna be a good decision. Mine has about 26k miles on it and the price equiv for a 6.2 raptor with the LSD would probably put me at ~60k miles in a ford. maybe they are just as reliable though

I had been saving up for a new raptor but v6 just seems wrong

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Razzled posted:

You know i've been thinking more about trading in my 5th gen 4r for a raptor but I really doubt it's gonna be a good decision. Mine has about 26k miles on it and the price equiv for a 6.2 raptor with the LSD would probably put me at ~60k miles in a ford. maybe they are just as reliable though

I had been saving up for a new raptor but v6 just seems wrong

The Raptor is growing on me. I had it tuned, and while wet out yesterday (with no one on the 3 lane + turn lanes divided highway in front of me) did maybe a 1/8th mile drift around a corner with ~30 degrees steering angle in it before I stepped out of it. Many giggles were heard from back seat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I only have the 375 horse/470 lb-ft version of the 3.5 but I've been perfectly happy with it for 25,000 miles, even now that it's turning 35s instead of the factory tires.

It sounds like poo poo (to people outside) but sounds good (to people inside) due to the miracle of technology. Plenty of hp and torque. Tuneable. Doesn't lose hp at altitude as bad as an NA motor. Decent gas mileage for what it is.

In 25,000 miles I think I've been caught once where it didn't respond like I hoped it would, going from brake to throttle rapidly and unexpectedly. 99.9% of the time the thing just pulls effortlessly and doesn't feel like a relatively small turbo motor to me.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah the 6.2 raptor seems like the perfect answer to my desire for a proper pickup (I have BoF 4wds but no pickup trucks). It's got fulltime 4x4!

I wish more pickups had fulltime 4wd, I guess they did in the 70s? But I think that first gen raptor is the only one in the last like 40 years. I am of course not counting the horrible "auto 4wd" automatic engagement transfer case that GM used for years because those were terrible and also not fulltime.

As someone who snowboards 90+ days a year and frequently drives around the mountain west to do so, fulltime 4wd is a good thing. I get tired of the in-out-in-out-of-4wd driving on partially snowpacked roads.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 25, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

All current gen F-150s above a certain trim have full time 4x4 and I think the previous gen is the same. Either XLT is the first one that has it, or the last one that doesn't have it, I can't remember which. But the ones that have it will have 2WD, Auto 4WD, 4WD, and 4WD Low settings. I assume it's the same as the system used in the Raptor (other than a Torson on the front diff is available on the Raptor) but I don't know for sure.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

My ‘19 Raptor is not full time:

The 4A setting has an interesting wet clutch setup that will function as AWD but you can of course also run it in 2 High which of course I do all the time.

I didn’t have a 1st gen Raptor but honestly I would be surprised if they were full time AWD, are you sure?

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 25, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I thought I read that a couple years ago, but I've never been in one so I'd be interested to hear the answer from an owner.

Specifically, I believe it was only the NA v8 models. I want to say it was a car and driver article, and they very well could have been wrong.

This reminds me, I saw a dude with a new-to-him h3 today get gas and then he drove over to the car wash and he definitely had it in 4wd - the wheels were chirping and hopping like mad.

Edit: I had no idea that you could get this "auto 4wd" awd setup on the higher trims, I was definitely misinformed... this is awesome and now I gotta think about getting an f150! Thanks for turning me on to this.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 25, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tremek posted:

My ‘19 Raptor is not full time:

The 4A setting has an interesting wet clutch setup that will function as AWD but you can of course also run it in 2 High which of course I do all the time.

I didn’t have a 1st gen Raptor but honestly I would be surprised if they were full time AWD, are you sure?

I mean has a full time setting ie the 4A

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I was totally wrong, I would consider that full time (as an option). I had no idea, this is awesome. Just ford has that, right? Gm had a really lovely one where it would slam the t-case into 4h for you but it would also eventually fail.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There were two different engines possible in 1st gen Raptors but they are both NA V8s. 5.4 and 6.2.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
According to some post on another forum I just found, they even used the 4a fulltime option on the harley davidson f150s in the late 2000s. Crazy.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

It only took me a year... but this is from my trip last year through Central Australia and the Northern Simpson Desert.

Collecting firewood in the Flinders Ranges. The wood on the Prado ended up doing close to 5000kms before it wound up back at my house!

Aboriginal ochre pits at Lindhurst. Ochre was mined (by hand, with wooden tools) by the local indigenous communities and then used as a trading commodity across the country.

Algebuckina Bridge on the Oodnadatta Track. Part of the original Ghan railroad, it was brought up from Adelaide piece by piece and assembled on site and opened in 1892. It spans 587m and took 350 men to build it and its a bloody long way from anywhere

Red dirt road between Mount Dare and Alice Springs on the Old Andado track

Looking out over John Hayes rockhole, Trephina Gorge in the East Macdonnell Ranges

The single worst road i've ever driven... The road from Jervois Station to Batton Hill

Ghost gums on the Hay River track

Lake Caroline, Hay River Track. The word "Lake" more means "Flat depression that occasionally fills with water" in Central Aus.

Battling with powder soft sand dunes on the southern end of the Hay River track. These dunes were so soft and steep that two guys on the track with camper trailers were forced to turn around and head back out north because they couldn't get over them.

Dawn on the Hay River track around 6am. Apart from the other guys in camp doing their best "Diesel firing on 3 cylinders" impression snoring, there's probably less than 10 people in a 100km radius around me.

One of the worlds most iconic hotels- Parked up out the front of the Birdsville Hotel.

Bit of a rare sight- Water in the outback. This is the Warburton creek where the Warburton track crosses it. Eventually it flows into Lake Eyre, the epicentre of a above and below ground water system that covers three states and is the largest in the world.

And now I wanna go back again.....

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ferremit posted:

The single worst road i've ever driven... The road from Jervois Station to Batton Hill

Haha, the rutted and washboarded trail from hell. From the other side of the world: I can feel that in my bones. gently caress that, very specifically.

Beautiful photos and journey! gently caress sand!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

tuna posted:

Haha, the rutted and washboarded trail from hell. From the other side of the world: I can feel that in my bones. gently caress that, very specifically.

Beautiful photos and journey! gently caress sand!

It was literally the worst- We were all down to 18-20psi, and trying to get up to speed to skip over em but the track never let you get above about 50kph.

Foot wide, half foot tall corrugations. Im pretty sure that track is 90% responsible for my front shocks having zero rebound dampening left.

The absolutely fantastic thing bout the Hay River track is it goes through Indigenous lands, so you have to buy a permit off the traditional owners to traverse it. Permit is $200 per vehicle, so it keeps the spanners and fuckwits off the track so unlike the main simpson desert, its not totally trashed by genital warts posing as humans.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Ferremit posted:

And now I wanna go back again.....

Hilariously my Aussie dream vacation is to take a 4WD from Brisbane to Uluru, with a final stop at Mt Dare. Weeeeird coincidence, and incredible looking!

I took the girls camping on an overnighter, but unfortunately my Daihatsu Rocky isn't done so I had to take my dad quarter million mile Tacoma. Despite having decent tires, it was miserable offroad. I can't imagine why people prefer the long wheelbase (short bed ext cab), or the V6 being all that nice offroad. Nice deep low range, though.

Came up from the valley to the southwest and up the ridge road pictured.

Most of the road was tight switchbacks and ridge roads, with a lot of loose rocks. Doesn't look so steep...

poo poo.

A fun time, and should be a lot more fun with the Rocky as this thing feels like a bus to drive.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

A fun time, and should be a lot more fun with the Rocky as this thing feels like a bus to drive.

With kids I think you may quickly rethink that perspective. A Rocky isn’t going to be much fun for anyone but you. Speaking from experience:

Having space with kids makes a huge difference. Ps, we got up over 13,000 ft that day with a bunch of other Toyotas.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Which Rocky did you guys get over there? First manual I learned to drive in was a 2.8TD leaf sprung live axle Rocky. We've still got her too, she's 30 odd years old in mint condition with maybe 150ks on the clock, mum drives her once a fortnight just to keep everything going. I wouldn't describe it as a great car for long hauls or comfort, the gearing meant you were revving its tits off on the freeway and handling would be best described as mostly adequate.

Still miss driving her though, maybe one day I'll get the chance to put some proper tyres on and go hit up sundown or landcruiser park and give her a proper workout. I tried to buy her a year or two ago but given the way I've belted the crap out of my hilux mum didn't want to sell her.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Tremek posted:

With kids I think you may quickly rethink that perspective. A Rocky isn’t going to be much fun for anyone but you. Speaking from experience:

Having space with kids makes a huge difference. Ps, we got up over 13,000 ft that day with a bunch of other Toyotas.

Luckily only the 6 year old needs a booster, and I moved the rear seat forward to fit the freezer, which means I can probably get the tent and the 1 tub of stuff I normally bring in the back. One seat isn't used, so the backpacks/clothes/sleeping bags/tents can go there. I am making a slideout tray for the freezer and drawers for when I pull the rear seat out with just driver and passenger.

ili posted:

Which Rocky did you guys get over there? First manual I learned to drive in was a 2.8TD leaf sprung live axle Rocky. We've still got her too, she's 30 odd years old in mint condition with maybe 150ks on the clock, mum drives her once a fortnight just to keep everything going. I wouldn't describe it as a great car for long hauls or comfort, the gearing meant you were revving its tits off on the freeway and handling would be best described as mostly adequate.

Still miss driving her though, maybe one day I'll get the chance to put some proper tyres on and go hit up sundown or landcruiser park and give her a proper workout. I tried to buy her a year or two ago but given the way I've belted the crap out of my hilux mum didn't want to sell her.

Depending on what country you're in, it'd be called the, Rocky, Sportrak or Feroza. We only had the wide body IFS and 1.6L HD-E gasoline engine. I think the chassis code is F310. I bought it almost ten years ago, made it onto Jalopnik, daily drove it, and used it as a ranch truck. I've slowly brought it from the base model up to the high trim, with nicer interior, installing power steering, air conditioning, and am tracking down a LSD for the rear. I made some lift shackles and have the front torsion bars turn up a notch to clear some 31" tires, and it has a snorkel for the incessant dust here.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Depending on what country you're in, it'd be called the, Rocky, Sportrak or Feroza. We only had the wide body IFS and 1.6L HD-E gasoline engine. I think the chassis code is F310. I bought it almost ten years ago, made it onto Jalopnik, daily drove it, and used it as a ranch truck. I've slowly brought it from the base model up to the high trim, with nicer interior, installing power steering, air conditioning, and am tracking down a LSD for the rear. I made some lift shackles and have the front torsion bars turn up a notch to clear some 31" tires, and it has a snorkel for the incessant dust here.

Ah, that's cool as mate. Yeah it'd be a Feroza here, the Rocky was its heavier, more agricultural brother which I think was called a Rugger there. Looks like a fun drive, I love the (relatively) small swb japanese fourbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

it has a snorkel for the incessant dust here.

How much has it helped? It's a tempting thought here in AZ as well.