Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

When Paulie & Ralphie are having their spat over the 50k in season 3, Ralphie says he's bringing in 3 mil a year for Tony. So either way there's a lot of drat cash floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

haljordan posted:

Yeah but I think unless you're one of the top guys in the organization, you're kicking up a huge majority of the money. The lower level guys do it Henry Hill style (as mentioned above) and just go out and rob when they need money.

Sure, but Tony is a top guy, I guess he's only kicking up to the head of the NY families. Carmine/Johnny Sack/Leotardo, whoever else is running it.

They're all cheap as hell, especially Paulie - he's even shown cutting out coupons in the episode where they robbed the Dominicans and got a boatload of cash, even after splitting with Vito and kicking up to Carmela.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Supreme Allah posted:

Junior really was the Larry David to Tony's Seinfeld. Think about it way more than you should!

Always eating, weird exes, crazy friends? Makes sense.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MrBling posted:

I somehow forgot how great Little Carmine was. He has all the best lines.

Much like a child, a film has many parents

E: The sacred and the propane :mmmhmm:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 13, 2013

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Little Carmine was hilarious. Anyone got a link or know what episode it is when Tony and Little Carmine are at the country club and Little Carmine is ordering his lunch and he orders like pan seared tuna or something? I just remember Tony with a confused look on his face.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JOz3c6ZQE&t=92s

At 1:32

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerusalem posted:

I always forget this scene, and it's really a wonderful moment where Carmine proves to be a far "wiser" man than Tony - a more dedicated marriage, a better grasp on what is truly important in life, hell there's even a level of maturity there. Yeah the guy is wonderfully, hilariously stupid... but he's a hell of a lot happier and seem to have a far more solid relationship with his family than almost anybody else we see in the show.

Agreed, I love how Tonys expression changes from "this loving guy" to "this loving guy"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wait what kinda drink is that, the arnold palmer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's iced tea and lemonade. Apparently it's been around since the 60s.

Wikipedia - Arnold Palmer (drink)

huh.. thanks - i tried to look it up but i got some golf player

i can totally imagine carmine junior being way into some idiotically specific drink like that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

AJ's obsession with the environment was such a weird thing.

He doesn't give a poo poo about the environment, it's just a thing to say to sound like he didn't do it for the money.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LloydDobler posted:

I loved how all the characters would misuse words all the time and nobody knew any better, so they wouldn't say jack poo poo about it, and the show didn't do anything either. I can't remember all of them but the example posted a few pages ago: "You're like an albacore around my neck!"

They do it on Raising Hope all the time too and I love it. It tells you so much about a character in such a subtle way.

They all did it, but the best was Little Carmine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJggSqCftgA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Now, I wouldn't call it a sit-down because of the inclement negative implications.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

drunken officeparty posted:

When I watched through the series I always had the mindset that it was a super serious crime drama and this thread has taught me I am wrong and missed basically everything.

Don't save yourselves shorts. When I was a youngster and first saw the show I was posited that it was a serious show. Only now did I realize that it was much less than that, a funny show as well!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

absolutely, comedy is required

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RfUj09pWfM

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aw all shows have to be serious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBMsXcSTi4s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Solice Kirsk posted:

The singer/song writer?!

The Pro baseball catcher

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Paulie probably thought of it as cleaning up. They were already in trouble so might as well not leave a witness in case he ever regained his faculties.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

withak posted:

They were probably doing the guy a favor by killing him; the shape he was in.

I considered that Paulie thought of it as a mercy, but I doubt he'd give a poo poo about the guy enough to even make that call one way or the other.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pentyne posted:

It's amazing how petty they could be. The whole Chris/Paulie thing started over a $850 bill and it almost came down to 2 made guys killing each other over it.

And the thing with the waiter, Paulie just shoots him once, then grabs the cash from the bill while Chris is shouting "That's MY money!" as they race out of the parking lot.

To be fair it was 1200 bucks including tip (1184 excluding)

But yeah, that was brewing all the way since "Chrissy" got the nod.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

We got Sopranos in Denmark around early-to-mid 2001 (as I recall, it appears they bought the rights all the way back in 1999 but couldn't start showing it till 2000), which was pretty unprecedented. Usually series took years to show up, even if they were popular in America (Seinfeld started in the US in '90 and here in '94). So it blew up fast, even outside of America. And this was before people started torrenting, so people only knew about it from friends/family that had seen it, or the news (maybe, I don't recall?).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I love that gif. Anyone can see that something is off about it but without knowing the story behind her death and the CGI you probably can't put your finger on why its so creepy.

Someone gif that scene where she's in the nursing home and AJ comes in and she pretends that he wakes her up and just starts unloading blame and misery

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah ok there really aren't any strange cuts like that, you're right. That's why I thought it was supposed to be meaningful in some way but maybe not.

It was brought up less than 10 pages ago. Not bagging on you, it's just the only reason I remember it was there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Do the rewatch, I'd def be up for following along. Please though, try to keep each episode starter essay at like less than 800 words, cause it gets to be a job really quick and then its not fun anymore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerusalem posted:

I'd say more that they'll end up just like their father (and mother) in that they'll be wealthy, entitled assholes who still complain bitterly about how "tough" they've got it, and be completely oblivious to the hardships and struggles of "normal" people. Every so often they'll get a bug up their rear end about some issue/cause which they'll inevitably make all about themselves, and after obsessing over it for a few weeks/months they'll get distracted and move on to something else.

Yeah that is my reading as well. Like McNulty from The Wire, it's always about him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mescal posted:

Watching this stuff for the firstish time, there's one thing that's bothering me. I feel like there's some symbolism in the colors people wear I can't place. Most of the guys wear dark suits and coats, a couple don't and stand out. Ralphie, John, and sometimes Paulie will wear these tan or camel-colored coats. It seems like a really deliberate costuming decision and in the middle of season 4 I can't figure it out.

To me it always seemed like it was their you know "splashy" outfits. When they were showing off ya know? Everyday was blue or black but certain occasions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did it ever occur to you that I might have been self-medicating?

Ya usually it's this. Not like you wanna get high as gently caress when talkin to family, sometimes you just gotta.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It wouldn't be the first time Seinfeld crossed over with an HBO show, either.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18kvo_seinfeld-in-oz_people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hear what i said tone?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dicked up sounds like a writer who didn't realize he was writing for HBO. Jacked up, messed up, screwed up, but not hosed up.

Or actually, maybe AJ was too cowed to say gently caress at the time? There's one early-ish scene at the dinner table (maybe the one with the chinese food?) where AJ says something sweary and both Tony and Carm are on him about it. Probably somewhere in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 15, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I don't recall any slapstick moments other than Uncle Jun smashing that pie into that woman's face.

That scene always breaks my heart. They seemed really fond of each other and then stupid machismo ruined it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tao Jones posted:

The show's always felt Seinfeld-esque to me in the "no learning, no hugging" sense to me. Nobody really grows or changes as human beings -- maybe one could make an argument that the kids do, or some minor characters like Big Pussy's wife, but I think even that's up for examination. Usually when they try to change, they're undermined.

Ya as I understood the show, a main thesis was definitely that your upbringing shapes you in ways that are incredibly hard to undo. Probably in many ways harder than genes. Regardless, it is worth the effort. If only for a glimmer of happiness with Jonny Cakes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUdZhMsSZcA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It broke my heart that he died, but that was a completely different thing from the show. I dunno how to express it other than James Gandolfini wasn't Tony Soprano, though Tony was James.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ow maddon'

You can't come in here and repost like you own the place. At least give it a page or two. I expect 20 + the vig is 2 weekly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think under those circumstances it would be legal to bury the roommate in the woods.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The purest form of capitalism. An intensely free market.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Does it have Chris' dead body in it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The mafia corrupts society, cancer corrupts your body.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Re: money:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

When Paulie & Ralphie are having their spat over the 50k in season 3, Ralphie says he's bringing in 3 mil a year for Tony. So either way there's a lot of drat cash floating around.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Steve2911 posted:

Also their father was in the mafia.

God forbid you should say that about Johnny Boy. *crosses self*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Charmaine rules. She wasn't afraid to tell anyone off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j30qgf4Tbgc
:allears:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 12, 2015

• Locked thread