Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any suggestions for a cordless impact? I used a snap on one at a shop once and it was awesome, but I probably don't even want to know how expensive. It was great for lug nuts and such, which would be nice for track days and the like. Any cheaper alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RapeWhistle posted:

makita!!!

Every one I saw on their site only went to about 100 ft-lbs (all rated in inchounds, though :argh: ). Which one were you talking about?

I saw a Dewalt that's rated for 300 ft-lbs which sounds awesome and it's $150. Sounds like it goes through battery juice faster though as a result.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jailbait#3 posted:

I continue to recommend the Ryobi 18v impact. 1/2" anvil, 200 ft-lbs, and only $90 or so for the bare tool, and the battery family has drills, saws, and a bloody weedwhacker.

I'm sure it has its limits, but for the hobbyist it is awesome. Mine broke free 10+ year old rusty axle nuts with only a second of hammering.

That sounds pretty good. All google is showing is ~$90 for just the impact, no batteries or chargers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody have any first hand use with this? Living in an apartment makes air or electric tools impossible.

HF cordless 18V 1/2" impact, 211 Ft-lbs rated

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-12-cordless-impact-wrench-67845.html

Edit: ended up buying it. Will report back.

Edit 2: strong enough to take off my lug nuts (6 per wheel, 100 ft-lbs) and start them back on before final torquing. Did all 4 wheels and put them back on and it was fine on a single charge, seemed like it had plenty left in it as well.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 13, 2012

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My HF lightweight aluminum racing jacked failed on me. Started pissing hydraulic fluid. :( Traded up to the 2 ton (had the 3,000 lb one before) and hoping it does better.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

That has a lifetime warranty if you want another, just sayin'.

No, it doesn't. 90 day but you can buy a replacement warranty for 2-3 years I think. It was leaking near the cylinder on bottom. I had it for a couple years, generally using it on cars less than 3k pounds. I started using it on a 3800 lb car and it failed. Yes, that exceeds the jack weight, but you're never lifting the entire car. At best one axle or one side and the weight transfers to the other side/end so I didn't figure it would be enough to hurt it. Maybe it's just bad luck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

revmoo posted:

Ok, my HF racing jack is now in the dumpster. What is a decent jack that will last me more than a year? My main complaint with the HF jack was the low height (and crap construction).

I'm curious what happened to yours? Mine just failed recently as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I think the "rapid pump" on both of the aluminum ones I've had have been bullshit. No way it's jacking to full height in 3-4 pumps. Not even double that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Any suggestions for a good 5-6" bench vise? I don't see good reviews for the HF ones or any others for less than $100 or so.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Jesus, don't buy a new vise. Unless you are spending $200+, you'll get an imported piece of crap that will break if you push it.

Buy a used American vise off of Craigslist. I've bought 6 in the past 2 years (I've got a problem with vises, they are my vice), and they outperform anything imported ine very category.

If you don't give a poo poo, or just want something to beat on, buy an import. The cheaper the better... they all suck.

Info: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

There are groups of people who collect vises, but if you get in touch with one of them and explain your need, they'll sell you a good used vise for reasonable money.

My collection includes a 4.5" Charles Parker, a 3" Athol, a 4" DesmondSimplex, a 3" older Chas. Parker, and a decent Colombian.

Wow, thanks for the response. I kind of was thinking that all the new ones I see were poo poo. I don't see anything on the local craigslist with a blanket search for "vice" so maybe I'll have my dad look for a nice old one at a flea market.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

I find that surprising, but check for "vise" as well.

That's what I had been searching. Typo. :doh:

This sounds like a good one possibly. Any input?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/3698088123.html

Edit: another Record vise it looks like.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/3727440740.html

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 7, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Any suggestions for a good 5-6" bench vise? I don't see good reviews for the HF ones or any others for less than $100 or so.

I bought one of the ones I posted about. It's only 4" wide but it'll do for now. I'll find a bigger one later. Only $40 and seems like it's barely been used.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Vise crap

I noticed the swivel for the vise is now secured by a bolt when it looks like it should have a quick release lever like this one:

Any ideas where I can get something like that?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If it's on sale (no coupon) you can use the 20% on top of that usually. Just check the fine print for the coupon, dunno if it applies to presses.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You definitely want it in the first format if you want to plot it in excel or actually look at the data.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Used my HF wrench today. I had to torque to 162 ft-lbs on a 150 ft-lb torque wrench. I just turned to where it would be and said gently caress it. :smug:

(I hope my axles don't fall out)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Yeah, my 2860A has survived since... I think I got it for christmas when I was like 12.

This explains so much. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Any cheap but decent soldering iron recommendations? My lovely $7 pen style radio shack one has pissed me off for the last time. I was thinking of this, but wanted to get more thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I don't solder a ton but do radio installs and fixes on cars every now and then. That's why I'm hesitant to spend the extra money and buy a really nice one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Is this just as good as those name brands?

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-ft-type-1a-multi-task-ladder.html

edit - Does Harborfreight change its prices daily? This was $109 last night, and $149 today. I'm looking at a hand truck that was $30 last night and $43 now. Is there a best day of the week to buy from there?

Can't say for sure but when I needed a ladder, it was way cheaper than most I had seen. I thought it was very nice and I didn't die when I used it to get on my roof. It's fairly light and easy to operate. I was worried it was going to be huge and wouldn't fit in my car when taking it home. It's about 4 feet long and really easy to store. :downs:

They have sales all the time, I think one just expired yesterday.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CH one looks much like the HF one I have. Gauge on that is also off and the locking connector sucks. I still use it but have a nicer electric pressure gauge instead.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Holy gently caress

BREAKING NEWS

I love my 22 dollar campbell hausfeld TL0537 air powered greasegun. Best greasegun ever.

I've hated every greasegun I have ever owned until this one. You do have to buy your own grease hose and zerk fitting.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/campbell-hausfeld-air-operated-grease-gun

e: ID, somehow I completely missed your point on that, thanks for clarifying.

I bought a highly rated manual one off of amazon and it's a piece of poo poo that has leaked grease all over the floor. I don't know if it's the grease I'm using (Mobil 1 red something something) but that poo poo is leaking out of every goddamn fitting.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Penantrant and tighten before you loosen. Back and forward.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwz7BhAWZE

This guy cracked me up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Heleta just sent me an email with a coupon for 10% off. Stock up on cutting discs and abrasives!

June2016 is the coupon code.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

One day sale at Home Depot -- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0368321&cj=true

Milwaukee M18 2696-26 6-tool set with 2 batteries for $399. Pretty screaming deal if you're looking to start with a set. Same kit is $649 at Amazon right now.

Dang, I'm in the market for something like this now after reading this thread. Guess I'll wait for the next one that pops up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What's the recommended cordless impact for lug nuts and such? I bought some shitter HF one some years back that kind of works but by the 4th wheel it's dying. Currently, I don't have any cordless tool loyalty since I don't own any chargers or batteries except a Ryobi trimmer that my wife bought. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I believe it's the 18V One+ battery, Lithium ion. But we've only got one charger and one battery. Not against getting another but if the Ryobi is decent then it would save some money I suppose.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 9, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Most of the combo kits seem to have impact drivers (vs. impact wrench? is that the name of what I'm looking for?) that don't seem to have much torque, but I'm sure the others exist somewhere.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

If you've only got one battery, you aren't invested in it. Switch to something pro-grade. We've got Ryobi for lawn stuff (hedge trimmer and strimmer), but it's pretty weak. Makita for everything big, and Milwaukee 12V for small stuff. If you wait for the sales (check garagejournal or Toolguyd), you can make out like a bandit. I picked up 2 spare kits with brushless drills/impact drivers and 2x 5Ah batteries plus chargers for like $125 each a few years ago. I don't need the drills/drivers, but the batteries were worth more than the kit price. I've now got 7 batteries (3x3Ah, 4x 5Ah), and enough chargers and spare tools to have a set permanently live at my mom's. My original set was a wedding present back in 2009, and everything is still going strong. We've done a complete first-floor remodel, tons of trim, built shipping crates, and built 2 firewood sheds... nothing has given me any trouble. The drill chuck doesn't always tighten up on the first spin, but considering how many holes in masonry I've drilled with the hammerdrill setting, I can't blame it... I should buy an SDS hammerdrill...

Fair enough. I'm not in a huge hurry, it's more a "nice to have." My garage has poo poo electric service (2 outlets, 1 on ceiling for garage door opener, other is only 15amp) so air tools aren't great unless I invest in fixing that. My compressor/welder always trip the breaker. I keep watching this thread for deals but I'll keep an eye on the other sites as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I would just like to reiterate. IT BROKE ITSELF IN HALF, DID A BACKFLIP, LANDED TEETH TO THE PAVEMENT AND loving CAME AT ME LIKE A STREETSHARK ON METH until it unplugged itself.

The HF manager accepted the return without question, before I even got to explain that it tried to kill me.

I was considering buying the 12" miter saw they sell until I heard this. My dad and brother both have one and like it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Am I wrong in thinking this is a pretty drat good deal? It's $350+ on Amazon.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-XT328M/207051082

18v, two 4.0 AH batteries, 3 brushless tools, a charger. Looking to get the above and then this to go with it:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00MZ0MN0S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=MQI0YX933T5T&coliid=IZV6IOODM7ON0&psc=1

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 26, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

That's a solid deal. I'd prefer 5Ah batteries, but still very good. All brushless tools is a nice touch. That impact fluctuates in price, I got mine for $168.

Yeah, I'd probably watch it via camelcamelcamel and get it when it drops a few bucks. Was closer to $168 when I first looked at it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Does anybody have a good recommendation on a snow blower? I'm about to be balls deep...

So it snowed like a foot here and finally I said gently caress it, I'm getting a snow blower. After doing a bunch of research, I decided on a 24" two stage recently. This one has more features than most comparably priced ones. Electric start, chute control, "power steering" (pretty sure it just freewheels one wheel or the other so it's a lot easier to turn), has like 6 loving speeds in forward and 2 in reverse, includes the the wear sliders (why some don't I don't know), a headlight, etc. There's a million handles, levers and knobs to control everything, it's silly. I ordered from HD because they delivered right to my house and brought it to my garage on a pallet for free. Had to do some minor assembly. Fired right up once I threw some gas in.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-24-in-208cc-2-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Power-Steering-2X-24/207161450

It hasn't really snowed since. :v:

How big is your driveway/sidewalk? How much space do you have to store it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't like the single lever chute control that Cub Cadet/Troy-Bilt use personally.

I can understand that, it's a little awkward in its operation but it works.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Could I bother this thread to post what your garage workbenches look like? I'm trying to figure out a set up and oh god I don't know what I'm doing.

Mine looks like this

https://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/view-all

Except the craftsmanship is poor, and the lumber is from home depot. :negative:

Buuuuuut it's taken a pounding and has my vice mounted to it. Lots of shelves and storage for my little 2 car garage.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Now I'll give my 4" bench vise to a buddy and everyone's happy.

Except your back. RIP

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beware, if you order from them even once they will send you pamphlets (that look like they're from the 60's) for the rest of your life.

It's :krad:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

I also use a bit of anti-seize so the wheels don't stick to the hubs.

I assume you mean on the hub, not the lug threads. This is just a PSA saying don't put that poo poo on the threads in case anybody saw that and thought that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

A little bit of neversieze on the lugs won't hurt a thing, if your torques are proper. Plus, it keeps the threads from galling/corroding to poo poo, for those of us in rusty areas.

No, your wheels aren't going to fall off. I've done it for over 20 years and I've never even had a properly-torqued nut even loosen, much less anything worse.

InitialDave posted:

Generally, you should use threaded fasteners clean and dry unless specifically instructed otherwise.

You probably won't hurt anything if you're sensible, but be aware you're changing the relationship between tightening torque and clamping force by about 10% or so depending on what you use.

This is what I mean. Your "torques" won't be proper since you're changing the friction coefficient with the anti-seize. So essentially you're over torquing your lugs and may be stretching/yielding the lug studs. :science:

I've never had a lug seize and I tighten them to the correct amount dry. Most are enclosed and I have mine off often enough it's not a big deal.

0toShifty posted:

Some fastener engineer would probably be mad at us for putting antisieze on the lugs though.

:wave:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 10, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Ebay 20% off purchase from home and garden,

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361591

CODE P20MEMDAY

time for babbys first knipex

Looking at buying cordless impacts for lug nuts and such and this piques my interest. I already have two 4AH Ryobi 18v batteries and chargers and their impact gets decent reviews. The question is do I opt for $120 with another battery and charger at HD or $85 for the bare tool via ebay. What would you folks do? (Don't say "buy a makita :v: ")

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Impact-Wrench-Kit-P1890/206736695

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've got 2 chargers and batteries. Bare tool it is. Now to see if I can find a shop vac I like...