Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

frozenphil posted:

I used a Lincoln 110v welder pretty much exclusively on my Mustang project. I seriously doubt most people would ever need the beef of a 220v welder at their house.

i have a 415v welder- that thing will quite happily stick 1" plate together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Those things are the playtoys of the devil himself!

I've lost count of how many stereo installs ive had to redo for friends because they used those infernal things!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Left to Right, Top to bottom.

Unknown Brand 4" Air Angle grinder.
Atlas Copco 3/8" rattle gun
Unknown Die Grinder
Ingersoll Rand 5040 1/2" rattle gun
IR 3/8" Air ratchet
(yellow one below it) Atlas Copco 3/4" Air ratchet
Seisaku 1/2" air ratchet
Atlas Copco 3/8" air ratchet
IR 1/2" Air ratchet
Unknown Air tec gun
Atlas Copco die grinder
UR-Sol 3/8" Rattle gun

A$5 each! :D

The sockets and extensions cost me A$20 for the lot!

I was lucky enough to be around when they were selling everything out of a car factory they were shutting down!

Now i need a MUCH bigger compressor... and 1/2" airline!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Money Walrus posted:

Survey for you guys- For those like myself who love pick and pull junkyards, what tools do you usually bring with ya? I know half the time I'm kicking myself for not sharpening my knife to cut through hoses, but usually I have a socket set, metric wrenches, a prybar, torx and regular scredrivers, wire cutters, and various other goodies in my bag.

Anyone else want to share their junkyard tool set?

is a sawzall the wrong answer?

Last time i helped someone get some parts from a car, we just sawed off roughly where we needed!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I've got a 3/8" drive air ratchet- Best thing ever!

doesnt have the torque of the rattle gun, but its about the size of a ratchet, so you can get it into places that a rattle gun wont fit!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

What's a better 12v tire-inflator compressor?

I've had several of the $15 coleman or campbell hausfeld cheapy things and they take 30mins to add a few PSI and then they quit working after using them 3 or 4 times.

something that will inflate quicker and last. Hopefully not have to be turned off for a cool-down every few minutes either.

I have two of the older style ARB ones, bout to replace one thats died after 15yrs of abuse living under the bonnet of a 4wd in the elements with the new design ARB- Flows 72L/min @ 0 psi. They cost about $300 in Aussie dollars, so they would have to be cheaper in the US, despite being MADE IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

yep- Most of the ARB 4wding gear is made in melbourne, and then exported worldwide. The GTO is made in Adelaide and imported into the US... well...was.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Just bought myself this set:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/combo-kits/2696-29

And a 240v charger because the kit i bought from the US is 110v... paid $1195 for the kit, $80 for the charger, and the RRP of the kit in Australia is anywhere from $1600 to $1800!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well in the next few months i'll be building a house with my better half (and a builder) and MY part of the process includes a 60K Litre water tank, All the associated plumbing, replacing about 20 light bulbs with LED downlights, building a 36m2 deck and laying 95m2 of veneered timber flooring... So a DECENT set of cordless tools will be very drat handy!

Plus theres always the parents farm too- where they will come in very handy.

Ended up going Milwaukee after using and outright abusing them at work- i've drilled 17mm holes through 6mm plate steel with the drill lying on its side in sand, feeling the sand kicking into my face from the fans and its never missed a beat.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

They finally turned up. After the loving courier couldnt be arsed to drive up the hill to my work and made some bullshit story bout us being closed at 2pm in the afternoon...

Havent used any in anger yet, but drat this package has travelled- Washington to San Fran to Honolulu to Sydney to Adelaide to my house!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Neptr posted:

Finally got a chance to use my Milwaukee M18 impact wrench today to change the lower control arm on my WRX. It took the wheels, sway bar end links, and the castle nut on the ball joint off pretty easily. It couldn't do the three remaining bolts on the LCA and I had to switch to an air impact. I'm a little disappointed, but those are some of the toughest bolts I'll come across on my car, and I didn't use any PB blaster.

its only rated to 450ft/lb, which for an 18v impact gun is loving impressive.

I need to get a new air gun for my collection, my poor old Ingersol Rand is getting very drat tired.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bung posted:

I need a recommendation on a mig welder. So far I'm seriously considering the Lincoln Easymig 140. But as I now reside in Windsor ON, prices are considerably higher than the US. I think I'll still be better off to buy a welder in Detroit even if I have to pay taxes coming back over. I need something that runs on 115v. It will be used for light duty stuff welding on thin gauge steel.

I did check out Princess Auto today. I'll be making many trips there for the next few years that we are here.

Ive got a Lincoln 180C and its a fantastic MIG. Cost me about $1200 australian and i cannot fault it running solid wire and gas

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

revmoo posted:

This is the truth. I got a 60gal unit and I'm constantly amazed at how often it needs to cycle.

my local mechanic has a trio of old gas cylinders from cars that have expired for use with Flamgas, so he hooked em all and uses them as an air compressor reserve.

Think he has something like 250L of air storage now- compressor barely cycles during the day and it runs all the air lines for his servo too

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

Can you just leave tool batteries on the charger for, probably, months without damage? Cause, if so, I'd consider splurging a little on a decent cordless.

I'd much rather deal with dragging out an extension cord than waiting for a dead battery to charge, as has been my usual experience.

All the Milwaukee batteries have a very accurate built in gauge on them- its pretty awesome if your going up on a roof or something or your going out in the field- check your little pile of batteries, grab the ones that are above 75%.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

Milwaukee was bought by a Chinese conglomerate in 2005 and nearly all of its production moved there. They're probably on par with most of the other Chinese-made power tools, but they're not the premium brand they used to be. A reconditioned Milwaukee isn't going to be any better than a reconditioned anything else, but for the price it's probably not a bad deal.

we use milwaukee at work (government construction and maintenance) and abuse the gently caress out of them and they havent failed yet.

More than we can say bout the Panasonics or dewalts

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ive never had an issue using a pair of needle nose vice grips to do drum brake springs?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Thats basically it- If you make it so much trouble to get away with your prized goodies, your average theif will go look elsewhere.

If they are determined to get it, they will- Thats why you have good insurance.

Im sure that on my place despite the shed being secured with deadbolts on the front doors and good locks on the side doors, if they WANT to get in there, they will just jump start the 1970's massey with a paperclip and ram the front door in if they REALLY want to get in there

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Top drawer with my most commonly used sockets, ratchets, extensions.

Screwdriver/Torxdriver/Prybar/Picks/Trimtool drawer.

I can get behind a tool box that has big enough drawers to fit cordless power tools into it!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Trip report so far on the Milwaukee kit.

loving. Awesome. Ive used pretty much every thing out of it so far multiple times and its just awesome gear- Its amazing how often you will find a use for a cordless jigsaw! The only complaint I have is that when you have 9 different tools, you need more than 2 batteries- Im looking on amazon/ebay for a pair of 4.0AH's to compliment the 3.0AH, cos on a few occasions i've needed three tools and had to hot swap batteries. Plus the grinder kills a 3.0AH nice and quick, but its an 18v grinder doing 9000rpm, so that not a surprise really.

Bought the genuine Milwaukee shockwave driver bits for the impact driver (worth the $40) and the sawzall blade pack, plus some vermont american jigsaw blades. The only thing I think i will change is the stock supplied circular saw blade is a bit crap, so I might offload that onto cordless circ saw at work (which feels like someone tried to cut a brick in half with it) and get a really good irwin blade or something for it.

My very favorite air tool would be my Atlas Copco 3/8" ratchet- Basically one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Copco-Heavy-Duty-Air-Ratchet-Nut-Runner-205-in-lbs-/300955616079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46125a434f

I paid $5 for it when Mitsubishi shut down their factory in Adelaide and I was on site doing environmental drilling as part of the shut down- wandered in on the shed they were flogging off old tools and gear to the workforce for peanuts in.

All those sockets and extensions were $20

And the air tools were $5 a pop!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I picked up a Lincoln Power Mig 180C a few years back for about a grand Australian and its done everything ive thrown at it. If im in the situation where i need to weld anything thicker than 10mm I go to work and use the big three phase WIA mig there.

Ive done everything from sheet metal repairs to taking it to work to work on a path edge where I was welding 6m x75x 5mm flat stock into path edging with a piece of rebar as a pin welded on every half a meter using flux core at massive amps and it didnt even flinch after about 7hrs straight

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its weird hearing all you guys going "I dont have much in 1/2" drive". I think 99% of my sockets are 1/2" drive, I think ive got one set that goes from 8-17mm in 3/8" and thats it?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Bajaha posted:

I think it really depends on what you're working on, I know for Subaru's, Nissan's, and Honda's I usually only grab 1/2" drive sockets for suspension bits or wheel nuts. Otherwise it's always 3/8" drive, and 1/4" drive for any bolts <=10mm and sometimes 12mm if I've been using 1/4" drive last.

I'm kind of a tool hoarder so I've got a nice full set sockets up to 1/2" drive, haven't needed anything bigger yet. thing I keep wanting more of is 12mm sockets, they keep disappearing I need them. :argh:

I'm assuming if you're working on something that has an abundance of room (trucks or certain us makes) or doesn't thread into aluminum then I can see using 1/2" drive more often.

All japanese/thai/asian/australian built stuff here, plus corrosion on anything under 20yrs old is an oddity rather than a rule

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

God drat tool shop sales!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

dyne posted:

Nice, how much? I've been wanting a 7.25" slider as my ridgid 12" is a bear to move even with the stand.

In other news, apparently harbor freight has started enforcing the requirement of have a receipt for warranty exchange of their hand tools. My 1/2" swivel ratchet crapped out on me and the manager at my local store wouldn't exchange it without some arguing.

$400 Australian. Should be more than big enough to build my deck and cut up the flooring for 90m2 of floating floor

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

OBD2 is a festering sore on the already disgusting rear end end of automotive electronics.

It's literally a standard that contains all the older, mutually incompatible manufacturer standards. Basically they were going to make a nice standard, and then all the manufacturers bitched, so they threw up their hands and said "alright all of you document how you do things, sorta, and we'll jam your buses into this one connector, and the scan tool manufacturers have to support ALL of your stupid 80s pulsewidth based protocols to claim they support OBD2. Have it your way." And then they all made their buses slightly incompatible (either electrically or on a higher level) over the years so hey, your scan tool may or may not work.

gently caress I hate that disaster. Oh, and the CAN implementation is poo poo layered on top of poo poo as well, it's complex almost on the level of government regulations. At least the physical layer of the CAN bus is well documented and standardized however, and Just Works (once you configure your baud rate, synch jump width, phase segment 1 and 2 quanta, propagation time segment quanta, ...) rather than literally being pulsewidth based, incredibly slow serial comms straight out of the Bad Old Days of strange early 80s fuel injection systems.

Source: I have spent over $1500 on purchasing SAE, ISO, and ANSI standards documents alone just to learn how it works so I can implement it at work. If you choose to do this, make sure you have ibuprofen on your amazon prime subscription, you're gonna need it.

Toyota used MOBD on my car- Only loving landcruiser to use it too- The V8 petrol got standard OBD2

NOTHING reads it, except for the genuine toyota scan tool...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Every time i've used a creeper I end up running over my bloody work light power cord with it. Or im trying to wrench something up to 160-170ft/lb and instead of actually pulling the wrench I just slide around the floor on the bloody creeper.

Kardboard mostly here... failing that, the 3x3m square of old carpet is great when your stuck under a car for HOURS.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Colour is right for Cobalt, but those tips are very much tungsten carbide inserts. Tungstens sharpened properly are absolutely stunning at drilling stupidly hard steel- like leaf springs, but im not sure how well they would go on other materials.

I've got a few Cobalts for doing steel work, but mostly in the "pilot hole sizes"- so 2-4-6mm, then the rest are just HSS. I want a set of Sutton Viper bits. http://www.sutton.com.au/Products/drills/jobberviperbitd105/

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I go through that much loving oil I have a field of 20L drums that I fill up then take down the local mechanics where he recycles it for me. I've been tempted to just dump it back into an empty 44 gallon drum that my Delo 400 comes in, but then I need to work out how to handle a 250KG drum of old oil and get rid of it.

i use a 15L drain pan with spout. Mostly because the engine in the landcruiser holds 11.5L of oil.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I went full retard and bought a massive pile of aircon service tools for the workshop...

The post office is gonna hate me when all the parcels start to pile in!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

For zerks, yeah. I figured grease is grease is grease too, but I thought I'd poll the masses.

Standard EP2 grease. I use wheel bearing grease SPARINGLY on the contact surfaces of brake drum components where they slide against pins or the backing plates because its so thermally stable and only use Moly grease on poo poo that I need to keep moving even if it dries out. Suspension stuff just gets EP2, same as the driveshafts.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Faaark... Ratcheting spammers START at $15 a pop for one that's not going to shear instantly down here. :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

What's your import tax like if you get some sent over?

Under a grand, Nothing, Over a grand (Ausbucks) its 10% GST + customs duty.

The biggest killer is the shipping- to bring a 4kg winch motor over from the US was $102 shipping off amazon....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I bought into the M18 Milwaukee range for myself after using them at work. Any cordless drill that can handle boring a 16mm drillbit through a foot diameter hardwood log with a 12mm steel plate in the middle of it while lying on its side in sand, to the point where the fans were spitting sand into our faces from out of the case, without making GBS threads itself, gets my vote. I love the stuff. The little battery gauge is great too, saved me a fortune in tools by not walking halfway across the farm or climbing onto the roof and discovering i have enough power for half a hole or undoing three teks and then ditching the drill or driver in a fit of rage...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Im perplexed... why the HELL are flat ring spanners so drat expensive? Ive borrowed one once and they have been on my "TO GET!!!" list for ages, but at $199 for SIX of them i cant work out what the hell is going on?

http://adelaidetools.com.au/sidchrome-6-piece-metric-flat-ring-spanner-set-21202.html

Tho repco at the moment has a special on their 6 piece sets for $140 so that might be the go. I dont have a problem paying $15 a spanner for a ratcheting spanner, because you know theres a fair bit of machining and fab work in each one of those, but a flat ring spanner?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Realised I had several hundred holes to drill into reinforced concrete in the next few months, so I bought myself a Milwaukee M18 SDS Rotary Hammer
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2605-20

Was $249, got it out of the door for $149 on sale, and $5ea for SDS Plus bits in 4, 5, 8, 10 and 12mm (they ran out of 6mm's in the bargain bin and I didnt want to spend $15 on one until i have too, cos i'll buy a 4 cutter if im doing that!)

Havent tried it out yet, but if its even 1/4 as good as my other milwaukee M18 gear i'll be a happy man.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Was cordless a necessity? If not, if have bought an honest Bosch or Hilti SDS+ corded drill. I've never had good luck with cordless hammer drills, even for small projects. The batteries just don't last long enough under that kind of load. I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

It wasnt, but it was $149 for a Milwaukee M18 on sale, or $500+ for a bosch blue/Makita/Milwaukee corded or $1K for a Hilti (Hilti gear is retardo expensive in Aus)

My uncles got their smaller M18 SDS+ drill and uses it daily for his work and has been going 6+ months with it no worries- His only advice was use the bigger Amp hour batteries on them, so the 4's and 5's so your not hunting for batteries as often.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That's pretty much the reason I bought it- I've used the Milwaukee SDS and a gently caress off huge 15A hilti at work before and they don't blink at 80mpa reinforced concrete, and when I worked out I had 300 odd holes to drill, it made sense not destroy my hammer drill.

Just found out I need council approval for my decks too, even tho they are under the roof lines... So that's gonna be a delay...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Bought a new LED worklight for working in the shed and on around the house, since i need to get into the roof soon and do a heap of work.

http://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/power-tools/cordless/m18/show/m18ll-0

drat things like an LED flashbang when you turn it on, cos of COURSE the power switch is directly in front of the LED strips. Its pretty drat bright tho!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, Garden Sprayers are an amazingly useful tool... You can also install an air fitting and use your compressed air source at very low pressure to provide the motive force.

Thats how mines set up. Im waiting for the day my ageing pressure sprayer cries enough at the 20-30psi i put into it to get heavy diff oil moving and goes off like an oil filled bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

My M12 impact driver is fine for lugnuts after you crack them with a breaker bar. It also forces me to use another tool for final torque on reinstall so it's easier to reach for the torque wrench instead of just saying "gently caress it BAAAAP".

Ive got the M18 Impact driver and M18 Impact gun and theyre beasts of things- M18 will rip off U bolt nuts like they arent there but because its got a progressive trigger you can use it to put lugs back on- i find that I can get it down to a single bap or two, which is 2/3 the way to the torque my wheels need.