Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I saw that 3 ton heavy duty one. I may take a look at that. Looks like I could get it for $72 with that 10% off coupon. The jackstands that came with my cheap floor jack seem to work just fine so far, no problems with those. I don't think the 5.5" would be a problem for my current car, I'd guess I have about 7" under where I put the jack. Using a chunk of wood sounds like it could be a decent idea too if I went for the aluminum one.

I've never heard of jackstands failing, even lovely ones. I attribute this to their being pretty foolproof as long as they're not made of plastic or something. I'd pay a little more for one that didn't mar up the driveway without necessitating a wood board placed under them, though I'm not sure if such a jackstand design exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Speaking of tools, have any of you seen this?
I was pretty intrigued by the idea. I know they have this sort of thing on industrial service vehicles, but on your car?

(btw I think he might be a Jeep ricer- I wasn't aware they made Rubicons with the 2.5L 4 cyl engine)

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Just Another XY posted:

This is really novice but – I purchased a cheap air compressor from Sears for $24.95, and the drat thing poo poo it self after three tire inflations. Somebody recommend me something that'll work for more than a day.
Something from Viair. I recently got a 70p and I dig it...fills very quickly and pretty quiet.

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-Heavy-Portable-Compressor/dp/B0012WHBSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1255912605&sr=1-1

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 19, 2009

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

blindjoe posted:

I need a 8X10 Shed, and think I want one of those tent ones. I can get one for $230 from canadian tire, but I hate buying things from Canadian Tire that aren't on sale. I can't seem to find any in the states that aren't either 10x20 car ports, or the cheezeball camping ones. Any hints? I can order a 10x10 one from walmart US for $200, but maybe I would be better off just getting the local one.
I've been looking around for an moderately-priced pre-fab garage myself. One of these days I'm going to get around to quoting out a concrete slab and an aluminum structure. Anyone have any experience in regards to a vague ballpark price(i.e. thousands or ten-thousands) I should be expecting or any recommendations on materials?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
^^^
That's one of the orange-handle deals right? I bought one of them too...total piece of crap. The guides that allow you to change the space between the jaws are all mangled/mis-forged/burred up from the factory and make the tool basically worthless. It came as part of a kit including 2 other so-far-decent types of pliers. For the price, it was still a good deal.

fatman1683 posted:

The first question is how big do you want your shed to be, and what do you want to put in it? This will determine the size of the foundation, which is likely to be the most expensive part.
Comfortably large 1-car is what I'm looking for. What that means to me is that I'm not having to gingerly open the doors and slither in through a 5 inch crack whenever I want to get in or out of the car and have room for a workbench and toolbox behind the car. I'm seeing the going rate for the pre-fab structures at around $5-6k, to which I'd then need to add the cost of:
  • the concrete slab
  • electrical
  • insulation/heating (I live in the northeast and am all too familiar with drafty garages and the delayed pulsing pain of busted knuckles in the blistering cold).
...so all in all I'll end up spending 15k to house a $4k car, $2k in tools, and a fridge full of beer. :q:

Been looking at some of these since they have a ballpark estimator on this site:
http://www.horizonstructures.com/singlecargarage.asp

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 16, 2009

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
I've got something like this cheapy and it's fine for chasing threads:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45766

I'd get one of the titanium nitride kits if I was making new threads.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Just bought and did a bit of inspection on the Harbor Freight 97420 ratcheting crimp tool..
Awesome. I'd love to see more objective comparisons like this between cheapo and expensive tools. It's nice to see actual numbers rather than "it's Chinese crap" opinions, which, while useful in their own way, don't quite put as fine a point upon the difference in quality.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Also we should make a buy, do not buy list for harbor freight and other tools.
I've thought about this too. There's some good poo poo at harbor freight, but an equal amount of crap.

I haven't bought a poo poo-ton of stuff there, but from what I've bought, here's my Buy/Avoid list from the stuff I've bought that stands out:

BUY
  • Jacks/jack stands

• 3/8" "Professional" Air Ratchet - Haven't had any issues with this although it's kind of bulky for tight spots

• Impact Sockets

• 3 1/2" 9-LED flashlights (These have proven to be excellent in durability/brightness and have been glitch free, which I can't say for the MagLite and Coast LED flashlight products I bought for around $20 each)

DON'T BUY

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 19, 2010

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Speaking of zip ties, has anyone used those stainless steel cable ties and NOT cut the poo poo of their hands? I have yet to successfully tighten one of the harbor freight ones, and was left bloodied in my attempts. Has anyone successfully used these or is it just Harbor Freight quality cutting me to pieces?

These:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Wear gloves you dope.
I was wearing blue nitrile gloves! They were quickly filled with blood. Anything thicker and I don't think I would've been able to manipulate them.

Stainless steel zip ties
Just as well a cheese grater
Where'd I put the gauze!?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Those look like slightly fancier versions of the Harbor Freight .99 rails, meatpimp. I have the Harbor Freight rails and they're certainly better than nothing.

That said, if they weren't so pricey I'd like to give these a shot, as magnets (HOW DO THEY WORK?!) seem like a good idea for socket storage.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959373000P

These also seem like they'd be nice:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941377000P?mv=rr

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 24, 2010

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

ASSTASTIC posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Its a website that doesn't look horrible!
Holy poo poo! Maybe their shipping times will improve as well.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Bogatyr posted:

http://chadstoolbox.com/38drive.aspx

I just picked up a Wera Zyklop 3/8 ratchet, haven't had a lot of time with it so far but it is pretty slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb1PzaDJqUs

Wow, that looks pretty awesome. I wonder how well it'd stand up to abuse compared to a standard Snap-on ratchet.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

I was talking to a friend about this AC evac and refill business and he said that the refrigerant has to be added to the system by weight. He said when they use the big cans in real mechanic shops they weigh the can before and during the refrigerant fill so that they add the right amount.

Am I correct in thinking the amateur can do the same thing by using a set number of 12 oz cans of refrigerant? Or is this not reliable because the cans don't necessarily totally empty out?

Or should I go buy a little digital scale so I can weigh the refrigerant cans too? I have a manifold gauge set already btw.

I know you have to add a certain amount of oil first also.
I don't have an answer, but if you ever do this again please post a how-to. I always thought AC service was something you really needed to go to a shop for. The extent of my AC fuckery has been using one of those recharge cans containing R134a, oil, and some kind of stop-leak additive.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Whichever ones you get, get the red pads too and keep your frame rails happy.
Do this. I didn't, and the frame rails on my Outback are completely folded flat against the bottom of the rocker panels.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

I found this pretty interesting. Judging by the 80s audio-track, it makes me think these have been around for awhile, but I've never come across any.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I love this thing. I think I bought mine after the last time it was mentioned in this thread.

Alright you guys sold me. Picked one up for $10 or somewhere thereabouts after 20% off coupon. The one I got is the newer style with the green and black Kawasaki-esque handle. Love the 72-tooth gear action; feels a lot nicer than my Craftsman 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
I always thought it'd be cool to have something to compress air into those little paintball tanks and then just run air tools off of that (through a regulator). I know Rhino makes something like that that uses CO2 tanks, but some sort of home setup where you could fill your own tanks to very high psi (safely) would be awesome from a mobility and cost standpoint.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm looking for a decent set of metric ratcheting wrenches. Should I just go to Sears and pick up whichever Gear Wrench or Craftsman set is on sale?

My experience is such that I'd get GearWrench over the Craftsman ratcheting wrenches, as I got a set of Craftsmans and some of the gear action is really crappy (skipping teeth) out of the box.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Harbor Freight is discontinuing their socket sets and going to singles. All their socket sets are currently on clearance. I just picked up 6 impact sets and adapters for under $40.

Edit:
Bought ALL this for $42.

Whaa? Who told you they're going to singles? That's nuts if they really are as full socket sets are a pretty important part of a toolbox and having to buy them piecemeal would probably be a lot more expensive.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
People Plasti-dipping all kinds of stuff these days:
Plasti-dipped wheels
Plasti-dipped car

The cool part is the way it's:
A: Removable
and
B: Paintable

You can have bright orange wheels on Monday and be back to stock on Tuesday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

Any idea if it will peel off of paint on body panels? More specifically, flat or satin paint? I'm having dirty thoughts about doing some gnarly scallops on my car, and if plastidip made them removable, I'd be more likely to give it a go, I think.

From the pictures I've seen it peels right off. It seems almost like a spray-on vinyl wrap in that way.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

FatCow posted:

This is getting done to my track car once it gets warm enough to paint outside.

Post a thread when you do please, as I think it'll encourage a lot of others to do so more than my post buried in the Tools! thread.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
I'd imagine you could probably do that with just some 2-part epoxy made for plastic. Home Depot or Lowes'll have that.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

I think it's worth pointing out here that the USB standard does not allow for USB cables over 15 feet due to excessive signal degradation past that length. Not a big deal with a laptop in the car but maybe important for planning where in the garage to put a desktop PC. Cables that go longer have a built-in amplifier and cost a good deal more.

e: I wonder if a powered hub between 2 15-foot cables would work?

You're right, but they're not that pricey:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=7531&seq=1&format=2

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

So has anyone here tried the plastidip method of painting anything?
I'm planning on doing the set of steelies I have snows on soon (once it's warm), then painting gold over them (gold on a silver car woo).

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100678308/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I did the cats-paw + prybar thing for half of my kitchen sub-floor (was still another layer of sub-floor underneath that), then my neighbor suggested I use this (he had one) and the job suddenly went much faster. There's a warranty if you manage to break it too (just take it back to Home Depot).

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Best to have gloves if you're going to hammer with that thing because it's going to vibrate like hell. Eye protection would be a must as well (moreso than with a regular hammer).

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
This has been re-iterated a bunch of times, but they'll always match in-store if you print out the online price (or probably just show'em on your phone if you've got a smart-phone). I've never had them say no to matching.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Someone (or maybe me) mentioned this thing before, but I just want to reiterate that this thing is awesome. 72-tooth gear action, 3/8" and 1/4" drive on one wrench. Normally combo stuff like that is annoying, but this comes in handy. The extendable handle is awesome for when you need that extra leverage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-1-4-quarter-inch-dual-drive-extendable-ratchet-98802.html

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

This post is confusing because I could buy about 1000 blades for the price of my razor handle.
The razor referred to here is the type you use to shave your face. The razor is cheap, while the blades are expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebie_marketing

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Recently helped a buddy switch on his winter wheels/tires and was reminded of the one thing those crappy included car jacks have over our floor jacks; they won't gnarl up your pinch weld jack points. We got his wheels changed over without doing any damage, but I went ahead and made a hockey puck pinch weld protector for future use.

+

+

=

Puck was $2 from Dick's.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

meatpimp posted:

There must be some mechanic culture I am not privy to... 'cause a $6,200 tool box seems beyond ridiculous to me, unless you have so much money to throw around that you've run out of things to buy.
Yeah this is a mechanic culture thing. These boxes are awesome, and you can even get them with security systems complete with a little remote keyfob and other funny stuff like that. It's sort of a mechanic's e-penis thing, but they are legitimately excellent and are warranteed out the rear end. I'm not a mechanic, but I've known a few who worked at dealerships and I picked up on a lot of the culture of the job.

It's easy to become deeply indebted to the Snap-on guy, as they'll throw just about anything into a payment plan for you. My one buddy was a good 10k+ in for a while there IIRC. Just don't go doing anything stupid to get fired while you're in that deep.

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 23, 2011

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Sockington posted:

I'm looking to buy a small hand drill for work. I want a half decent one since I do lots of work in areas where using a battery powered drill would require a special permit and wearing a gas monitor at all times. :downs:

I know you hate Ridgid 'cause of their batteries but I've got their little 12v jobbie and like it a lot.

Edit: Just realized you're looking for an electric drill.

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 19, 2012

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
I haven't heard anything negative about the "Earthquake" impact guns if that's what you got.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
drat, what an un-intuitive website though.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Geoj posted:

Maybe I'm spoiled but the gas station I frequent (Sheetz) has one of these:

That thing's great. BJs has'em too, at least the ones with gas stations. You don't need to a membership to swing through and use it either.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Sir Cornelius posted:

I totally agree with most of this, however the "garage tinkerer with a selection of appropriate sizes and types of high quality crimp" would most often make a better connection soldering his poo poo, than doing his typical sloppy work with his lovely wrench-monkey pliers. It's just easier for wrench-monkeys to feel good about a lovely crimp.

Ouch man c'mon

E: I've always twist-and-soldered my car stereo wires and never had one come loose, though I'm willing to play around with crimping. Won't be the same without the smell of burning wire insulation though.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Use the basement and buy a respirator. Is there a window? Buy a box fan and some plastic drop clothes and you can create a wind tunnel up to the window and keep the bulk of the fumes out.

Maybe you had better luck with this, but the first floor of my house was uninhabitable for a few hours after painting some wheels this way. I had 2 fans going and 3 basement windows open. Won't be doing that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Yesterday I did something stupid and awesome.
MG725 - It came with 4 pry bars

Snap-On Website posted:

"Unit delivers an outstanding 1,190 ft. lb. (1,613 N•m) of Bolt Break Away Torque!"
Wow.