Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I basically want a harddrive in my home that can be accessed through the internet. I'm just wondering if an NAS is what I want to make this happen. I assume that one solution will use an FTP (and that would be great for uploading photos from the road), but having it automatically mount as a drive to my Macbook would be pretty killer.

A use case example is basically being in, say, Mexico and having access to my iTunes library which exists on my computer in Alberta. Most likely is just accessing it from my computer connected to a school wifi.

Will an NAS Appliance be able to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

I think Apple's TimeCapsule does this with "BackToMyMac"

I guess I'd like it to work with a PC desktop as well. I wish I knew the proper terms for this other than "hard drive that can be mounted to my computers through the internet".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Something that does all this will probably be called a NAS, yes.

I'm not using the specific services you want and I don't know about automounting, but dropbox-like functionality is certainly available. Access to your music as well, although again I have no idea how easy it would be to make it interact with iTunes specifically.

e. I'm using a Synology box, google around.

The cloud folder Synology (and WD) solution sounds great for photos up to a point, but I'm trying to keep space free on my laptop. Though I guess I could just have an external HDD that I cart around with the synced folder on it for an iTunes library and that would work pretty well if there's no way to mount it as a cloud drive anywhere.

Edit: This combined with an NAS set up as an FTP seems like it'll work pretty well.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 16, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This should be a pretty straightforward and common task but I can't find any info on it. I have a 4tb HDD serving as volume 1 in my Synology DS218+. Another 4tb is working as volume 2, basically. Volume 1 needs more space and I can't really think of anything to do but replace the drive with an 8tb.

However, volume 1 is the system drive. So how do I get the data from Volume 1 onto this new, larger drive and then make sure that DSM then acknowledges that it has more space? Will Macrium Reflect do the job if I just plug both drives into my computer or do I need to use DSM somehow to do this properly?

I could also probably persuade my wife that we should just upgrade the 2-bay NAS to a 4-bay and sell the existing one if that's the only way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know it's really straightforward but I don't think I know how to think about this. I have a Syno DS218+ (which has two drive bays) and I now have three hard drives:

A. One new 12tb
B. One 4tb with household files and backups on it (don't worry they're also offsite to Glacier and various cloud services). A Seagate ST4000DM000 which I'm sure is 7 years old and has been doing NAS duty for almost two of those years.
C. One 4tb with media. A WD RED WD40EFRX which I can't find a store page for but I think it's only a couple of years old.

I'd like to move the whole mess over to the 12tb and then repurpose the media drive. Currently, here's my plan:

1. Remove volume 1, which was just on drive B, from the NAS and put the 12tb in its place. This went fine and the NAS started up as expected.
2. Create a new volume which is just the 12tb disk. Disk A and B now have "volume 1"s on them. This may cause issues.
3. Move all the shared folders from C to A. (or from volume 2 to volume 1). This is currently happening.
4. Remove C from NAS and replace with B.
5. From B, I plan to move all the shared stuff. The only problem is that this drive also contains all my Synology packages. I've gone through SSH and just copied the whole @appstore directory (directions here), but they're currently reporting errors and I've just left them like that. I expect that it'll work better with drive B back in the NAS.

Currently, I've lost no data or anything. When I'm done, this should give me an empty drive B and C, and ideally I'd swap out B for C since B is probably going to die soonish, but it's like, my NAS's "system drive" whatever that means to a synology.

Edit: Is there a less crazy way to do this? Everything I read imagines I have a RAID setup and I don't. Though the old volume 1 did default itself to a raid configuration across both 4tb drives, which I then broke to make the other drive into volume 2 and ever since it's been giving me a warning about my "degraded volume" and I'd love to be rid of that since I know what I'm risking here.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 5, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I would buy a another 12TB disk and raid1 them.

Because you're not going to do that:

Stop. Take your currently full 2x 4TB disks out and set them aside. Put in your 12TB disk and follow the factory reset procedure and install synology on there. Let it boot up from that. Now add your 4tb disks 1 at a time to the enclosure, copy the files, and remove them. Next, buy another 12TB disk.

Oh I guess that is a simpler way. I thought I could also RAID the 12 with one of the 4s, then wait for the mirroring to complete and remove the 4, putting another 12 in there to repair/expand the volume and get the full 12tb out of it. Is that incorrect?

I can’t really do either of these things because I don’t have the ~250CAD for another big drive right now. :(

tuyop fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 5, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Actually you guys have been really helpful, so thank you.

At this point I've definitely spent way more time moving bendy straws in my head than it would have taken to just copy and then reinstall and reconfigure some packages if they end up broken by the process. As usual, the brute force method will end up faster than the partially automated method.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got a plex pass (the lifetime membership is like $160CAD, way cheaper than a NUC) which lets hardware transcoding do its thing. Synology DS218+ handles h265 1080p to whatever my clients demand without breaking 30% processor usage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BabyFur Denny posted:

So transcoding 4k would probably be too much for your machine?

Sounds like it could do it but not with HDR? I don’t know I’ll have to give some files a test, but it sounds like I’m not looking forward to the PS5, 4K TV and Intel NUC upgrade bill.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Still like $800 in Canada, sigh.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How are Canadian folks getting alerts for in-stock GPUs? Got a friend excited for a 3070 but they're out everywhere.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

GPUs are overall a pretty poor unit of storage per $ purchase :haw:

Yeah but she wants a 3070 :(

And me, I got a 5700XT this summer so I guess I might be in for flipping that soon as well after all the benchmarks and reviews are in...

Oh poo poo haha wrong thread!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 5, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just grab a gigantic external HDD from Best Buy or something and sell it on to one of us for the sweet shuckable drive inside mm

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Canada Best Buy is doing $199 for 10tb

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/seagate-expansion-10tb-desktop-external-hard-drive-steb10000400/13873749

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How frequently are you all encountering drive failures? I think I’ve lost two drives in my adult life and neither of them failed suddenly and led to data loss.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks, and I guess I’m talking like 15 years of managing data and hard drives intentionally, since I had a dell laptop fail on me hard and eat about 10 days of thesis work during my undergrad.

The metaphor about the distribution of these failures is helpful!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

brains posted:

ouroboros or watchtower will handle everything for updating containers automatically.

just remember to declare specific image tags for containers if you need stability (i.e. not :latest) or ignore if you use ouroboros.

Thanks for this, is there any way to set Watchtower to update firewall rules after replacing the container?

Edit: I just stopped referencing the container (vs the port) in the Synology firewall and I think that'll fix it.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 9, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Not sure if it was in this thread but someone posted a tool for monitoring hard drive prices across a bunch of sellers, and it worked for Canada. Does this ring a bell?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ika posted:

Boomarked it from this thread: https://diskprices.com/?locale=ca

Thanks, now I have too!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for an alternative to Synology Drive on my DS218+. My issues with it are that it frequently utilizes 100% of my disk for like 30 hours straight, and it seems to take 2-10 hours to recognize a local change.

I think I need something like this because I frequently have to share large (10g+) files with people who are very security-minded but not very computer literate. They need to be able to click a link, enter a password, and download or stream a version of the files. I also need to be able to add temporary or long term users with access to certain directories.

Is Nextcloud the way to go for this? It should be fine to run it on more powerful hardware if I absolutely have to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a reason not to use Google Drive or Dropbox or OneDrive?

Yeah the people I’m working with frequently don’t trust those services and uttering the words “open source” is the incantation they need to feel safe about the kind of stuff we’re working on. No I don’t know why Synology drive was considered safe enough.

There’s also file size considerations, I’d rather put in the time to figure out the free service and learn some stuff than pay google for a terabyte.

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Side question though, do you need online editing, e.g. word online style editing?

Nah just folder syncing and link sharing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost posted:

Hello pack rats, what's a great cloud back up solution for personal use?

I have a computer and a NAS (Synology DS 918+), with 2 shares mounted as drives.

I can't quite find and compare the feature sets for crashplan/backblaze, but I was wondering if either can backup both the PC and the NAS using their base plans (crashplan seems to be $10/month and backblaze is $6/month)?
Only 2 shares are mapped from the NAS to the computer, but there are a few more folders on the NAS I care about.

I won't need to access the backed up data too often at all, only if my NAS fails or maybe if I upgrade the computer.

In terms of priorities, I would want my NAS backed up 100%, and the PC is a nice to have a backup of, but not a hard requirement.

Backblaze B2 is the thread favourite but some of us seem to be stuck on Amazon S3 Glacier and it works so that’s fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

When I first read that I took hung pirates to mean something completely different.

Yeah this is why it’s supposed to be “hanged”

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

muskrat posted:

How loud are the consumer NAS appliances such as QNAP / Synology? I don't have a server closet so it'll be in my living room, and I don't want to be hearing fans, etc. but I don't know what is actually inside these.

I only have a two-disk one (DS218+) but you have some control over lights and fan speed. I originally had two 4tb WD Reds in mine and it lives in the living room and I couldn’t hear it at all. Now one of the drives is 14tb and it’s significantly louder, say like 40db vs 35 before, but not nearly as loud as a PS4 or the dishwasher in the kitchen. I don’t really notice it anymore.

I bet the 8-disk models probably sound more like a quiet desktop with HDD crunching sounds.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BaronVanAwesome posted:

What is the benefit/negative for these places? I'm in Canada and don't have to RMA but I bought new drives and am now scared every waking moment

I think the OP believes Canadians have some kind of consumer protection laws, lol

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Has anyone here setup Wireguard on their Synology via Docker? A friend mentioned I should look into that as opposed to opening holes in my router to access SAB/Sonarr, and I'm googling around now to see what's involved.

I have WireGuard running on a raspberry pi and unless you’re fairly comfortable with docker networking I’d recommend just using Synology’s VPN server* instead. WireGuard is nice and lightweight but it’s not like OpenVPN is bad at all.

* unless the client is an iPhone. As of last year there didn’t seem to be any way to get the config and certificate files from the synology into the ovpn app on iOS.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Unfortunately it's an iPhone

Well drat, this guide at least seems like a pretty good starting point for getting WG running on a synology. Unless you feel like grabbing a raspberry pi (a zero w would probably work fine) for this purpose lol.

https://github.com/runfalk/synology-wireguard

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mimir posted:

This might be a dumb question that I should ask in another thread but, hey, there are no dumb questions, right?

So, I have a Synology DS220j that I’m very happy with.

For work, I access a big personal folder on a shared FTP server that can be very slow and laggy. I’d much prefer to do the work locally, but my work macbook’s HD is too small.

What’s the best way to mirror a folder, I don’t know, one-drive style, between my local NAS and the work server? Synology has a lot of backup options but I’d like something more live so that I can freely upload and not worry about it.

Synology’s cloud share package works with FTP and will do exactly what you want. I would double check that you’re not breaking some big legal policy based on the type of data you’d be copying over, but otherwise it’s an ideal solution. FTP syncing done on the 220j, folder accessed using SMB or whatever on the work computer(s)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Oh god tiny noctua fans are adorable :allears:

wow yeah that's v cute

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a 5-6 services running on a Synology NAS (ie, Calibre). If I want to access them from outside my network, what's the best way to do this? VPN?

yeah, a wireguard VPN or the synology vpn server.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

Besides probably being easier to set up, is there any security benefit to using VPN for remote access versus an Nginx reverse proxy protected by a LetsEncrypt cert? I finally got all that going a while ago for an Ubooquity server on my NAS and being able to go to mydomain.duckdns.org and have it auto-forward me to HTTPS and use the auto-renewing LE cert is pretty sweet now that the initial Learning How To hump is over. At a certain point Nginx config files basically become programming code :techno:

Probably a stupid question, I only failed to set up a reverse proxy for a few hours one time. How is it protected from unauthorized access?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The solution for legitimate media acquisition and organizing is Sonarr and Radarr paired with Jackett and sabnzbd if you want to use Usenet, in my opinion.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Should just be a matter of automating a config backup and rsyncing it wherever. Digging out the command might be a pain though if it’s not a selectable dropdown somewhere.

Yeah on a synology this stuff lives in a weird directory tree. Probably under /volume#/@appstore/[programname] but after you find it the relevant files are accessible like they are on Debian or whatever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any compelling reason to update a Synology from DSM 6 to DSM 7? I'm not sure what will break since my NAS is pretty much just file storage and a Plex server now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

droll posted:

Nope, attached to a router where I'm staying or directly to a laptop (is the latter possible?)

I haven't done this but it looks possible! https://nascompares.com/answer/can-i-connect-synology-diskstation-nas-directly-to-a-pc-or-mac/

If you need wireless then I have had mine work when my internet connection is out but my router is still operating, so you can just plug it into any router you're bringing with you and access it that way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

droll posted:

I'm possibly going to be traveling around to places that have slow or really low data cap internet connections for about a year. Staying a few weeks/months in various locations before moving on. Instead of a single external USB drive, or 2 where I manually keep them in sync for a backup, I was thinking a small 2 bay NAS might do the trick.

Is this a decent idea? And would these be OK parts?
1x https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS720-Diskless/dp/B087Z6SNC1
2x https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-RAID-Internal-Drive/dp/B07H7CKYGT

Why not just get a raid enclosure?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

droll posted:

I thought NAS would make it easier to share content with my fellow travelers and family/friends along the way, rather than everyone having to connect and copy the data off. Is that the best RAID enclosure you recommend?

I haven’t used a RAID enclosure before, it just seems much more straightforward to plug it into whatever hardware you need and copy/paste while having redundant disks in case one of them shits the bed.

I guess I don’t know what workflow you’re going to use with the NAS for sharing to someone else.

The enclosure would just be a really big USB stick from the user perspective and I think everyone else will understand what to do with that. Also saves $$$ spent on router, NAS, cables and adapters depending on the laptops you’ll encounter.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost posted:

For those of you using Synology and B2, do you encrypt your data? Either through default encryption on the bucket or through the Synology integration?

I have veracrypt containers in my unencrypted backup volume which syncs to B2. I don't care about like, activities I made for grade 7s being encrypted but it would be a big deal to lose them and there's too much of that kind of thing to just keep in some cloud provider all the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Hey folks, a couple of quick questions for the room.

I've recently found myself with a couple of 10TB drives that I'm no longer using and figure I'll put them towards an offsite backup location. There are plenty of ways to skin that particular cat, but I'd be interested to hear if there are any solutions around making managing an offsite Pi or whatever and keeping things sane there. I could just have it VPN into my network and that may be what I do, but I figured I'd ask around.

For context this is coming off a Synology machine, so I wouldn't be opposed to picking up a very basic 2bay model and having it just sit somewhere back at the homestead and I could do my thing via the web portal. My folks are not tech inclined in the least so the more I can do to be able to troubleshoot and be fault tolerant while 8 hours away, the better.

Question 2: I've got a couple of drives in the process of being added to an existing Syn storage pool and it's taking, understandably, a long rear end time. That's all fine and good, but I did notice that the current process is listed as Step 1 of 2. What's the second step? Repeating the whole shebang with the second added drive?

I would really recommend the synology then. The raspberry pi needs poo poo like a ups and even then it loves to eat SD cards and the troubleshooting for that requires physical access.

If you do want to go the pi route I’d recommend grabbing one of the UPS hats and a sata hat as well, since even the pi 4’s bus is really low, like 35MB/s ime. You can make it more resilient by grabbing an extra sd card and imaging your working install to it, then if it breaks you can at least get family to swap out the broken one and cycle the power on the thing.

In Canadian dollars a synology ds 220j breaks even with the pi + all the hardware to make it a passable NAS, but the synology will be a tank and has an offsite backup solution built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks man, I'll set that up tonight.

e: Doesn't support windows...

Yeah you need to set up like a Debian vm or something.