Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

eightysixed posted:

I guess I'll go ahead and buy this. I wish I could get it from Amazon though, as I have amassed like $550 in gift cards :saddowns:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/newegg-4-national could help a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Moey posted:

This is the "probably red drive (non-white label, no 3.3v kill pins)" inside.

I was also able to price match my last order online and get a refund for the difference. Shocked that worked.

I did the same thing and am similarly shocked it worked!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ChiralCondensate posted:

Where are y'all doing it online? I didn't see any easy form and when I try the chat thingy, it's just a bot that tells me to call a phone number.

Used the live chat, which was not closed earlier.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Alright, I'm going to get a Synology sooner rather than later. Am I going to kick myself for getting a single bay rather than dual bay? I'm looking at the DS118 or 218 ranges. Not 100% sure I need RAID, as I'll back it up online also.

There's just 2 of us going to be using it to store photos, music and some videos, plus run a few torrents occasionally. I'm not sure I'll benefit from any super advanced features, so been looking at the 218play or the 118. Any comments on either of these choices? Right now I'm leaning towards the 118 just for price reasons.

Get a two-bay or higher so you can at least survive a single disk failure.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tonic posted:

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the drive is 2 weeks over the 3 year warranty from Seagate so I guess it’s trash. Funny how these drives start failing right after the warranty period ends.

Did you buy it with a credit card? You might have extended warranty coverage through that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

As my NAS is filling, I guess it's time to finish upgrading all the disks to 4TB and rebuild the array to a higher capacity. I need three of 'em, any reason why I shouldn't get this bundle on newegg for 3x WD Red 4tb? Better drives, better prices, anything?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3608312

If the 8TB WD easystores are still shuckable good drives, look into those.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dr. Poz posted:

Does the DS1817+ support Direct Play / Direct Stream? I'm really considering moving my plex server off my desktop PC so I'm not so dependent on it being on at all times and this question has been bugging me.

Supporting direct play/stream is more of a client question than a server question when it comes to Plex. What you won't get with a Synology is the ability to transcode many streams if your clients don't support direct play/stream.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cheque_some posted:

I bought an 8 TB EasyStore because it was on sale, and I figured I might as well test the drive while it's still in the enclosure. I tried running the RD-Read test with HDD-SCAN, but it seemed like after a while it just started reading all the blocks as bad. The first time it was after 4%, the next time it was after 16%. I'm guessing that not all the blocks are actually bad. Is there some other tool/test I should be doing? Or is it possible something else is happening, like my machine is trying to spin down the drive after a set period and that messes with it?

HDDScan has stopped at 16% and stopped incrementing the LBA and KB/s is now at 0, but it continues to add more bad 'B' blocks to the map.

Did you try WD's own tools?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

:argh: Does it have bad sectors or not, make up your mind you stupid computer.

I ran into the same thing yesterday while it checked consistency/repaired after replacing a failing drive. It only had one phantom bad sector+UNC error though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Just to let you know, memtest has never found a bad stick for me. And I have tested known bad memory. It will find bad sticks but only when they are so bad you generally can't even boot an OS.

Anecdote to the contrary: it found a bad stick pretty quickly the one time I had a problem which I suspected was failing RAM.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You basically don't need to transcode for the appletv if you have paid third-party video player app "Infuse". Works as a Plex client.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

I use uBlock Origin and I didn't even realize that site did anything funny. Sorry!

It's a good clue when they only give you the tiniest thumbnail to embed which leads you to a strangely laid-out page when you click on it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A friend of mine just shucked a 4TB last night and got a red. Guess he was extremely lucky.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

10tb easystore for $180 are today's doorbuster over at Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-with-32gb-easystore-usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yep, I would totally trust important data to no name RAM. Zero reservations there whatsoever! :cheers:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

caberham posted:

I guess you can run mem tests or all sorts of other burn in tests on it? It's DDR3L so it's probably been around for quite a while and quite cheap, especially when it comes to sourcing electronic parts in Shenzhen. And Raid is not backup so I suppose i lucked out for now

You lucked out as long as you aren't backing up from or to that device or storing anything important on it, yes.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rather than 4x6TB red pros, what about shucking 4x 10TB easystores @ 180ish each from Best Buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-with-32gb-easystore-usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

How annoying is it to shuck drives? While 10TB is a lot more, realistically I doubt I'd fill up even a 12TB array before the hardware dies anyway, so I figured I'd just go with a smaller setup for now. (I had considered doing a 6-bay NAS since spending 50% of my storage on parity is kind of galling, but that would probably be overkill for me too.)

Super easy even to do it without breaking the clips, especially if you have a plastic gift card or some such you can cut up. You will need a Torx screwdriver/bit though which is pretty cheap if you don't have one already. iirc it's Torx T1 for this but worth a double-check to make sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VCQ64DkfM

The drive inside is most likely a white-label helium-filled 10TB. :unsmith:

edit: Warranty talk, you ideally would want to hold onto the shells and bits in case you would need/want to send them in during their 2yr warranty. However, if you are like a friend of mine who would never said in a hard drive for warranty under any circumstances, feel free to break the clips while opening and toss all the bits out.

astral fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 15, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

bobfather posted:

Another Eastore shucking tip: if the drive won’t initialize and you need to tape over pin 3, realize you can actually tape over pins 1-3 without messing anything up, as all three pins are involved in the 3.3v circuit you need to disrupt.

Cutting and using a slice of tape ~3x wider than one needed for a single pin makes it all the easier.

And if they're using a Synology they don't have to worry about the pins.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DS218+ is down to $249 on Amazon (from $299): https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS218-Diskless/dp/B075N1BYWX/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

but one of the remaining questions is if they can be just used like a hard drive, connect them, setup a shortcut, and just use them like any other folder on your computer instead of whatever packaged software nearly all of them advertise. Sorry if that's pretty basic and of course they'd be able to do that, I'm just not familiar at all with the networking side of things beyond what Windows walks you through. Most of it seems to talk about photos and videos so presumably it's just a way to organize those things but we literally just need the folders we already have just not tied to a single person's computer. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Yes. What you are looking for is a NAS that will make folders/volumes available as a Samba (SMB) share, which realistically all the off-the-shelf products you're looking at will do.

edit:

quote:

The major problem to solve is just making sure someone that needs to edit something has the correct version of the file they're working on without needing to worry that someone else updated it but didn't save properly

A NAS isn't really going solve this for you if two people are trying to edit the same file at the same time, as mentioned by H110Hawk. You can at least configure file versioning so when someone does do that it's not lost forever.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 20, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Next time don't pet a static generator (cat) while working with sensitive electronics.

This one.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ah yes, the well-known NVIDIA Geoforce

astral
Apr 26, 2004

sincx posted:

Is it common for drives from the same batch to fail around the same time?

It happens enough that it's often recommended to stagger drive purchasing to avoid that sort of scenario.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

You care way too much about this file list for the amount of backups you held of it.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

It's an 8 TB. I bought it like three months ago. I hadn't gotten around to setting up a RAID6 with it yet.

There's a good saying that's applicable here...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

you gonna help me or not

Sure! It's: "RAID is not backup!"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm honestly pretty surprised that worrying about one drive dying at a time is a unique edge case for a home user

That's not the part that makes your case unusual.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It seemed like a cool way to only have to spend another $300 (on two new 8tb drives or something) to make sure I never lost a drive like that again but I guess he and I were mislead.

Shucked, I hope?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Friend. Don't do it. If you're using external drives just use them as JBOD.

My experience with trying to use a USB hard drive as 'intended' was that the Easystore enclosure tried to murder the hard drive inside with an overly aggressive attempt at power saving, completely ignoring the external drive hibernation settings of the Synology device it was connected to. If I recall correctly, the drive was starting and stopping a bit over twice per hour, which adds up rather quickly.

It's possible this was just a bug with the Synology, but it was enough to discourage me from trying that again for a long time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

8tb easystores on sale for $130:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > NAS/Storage thread: It's just not right unless Kelso's helmet is pixel-perfect

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Saukkis posted:

You already made your decision, but I'd like to give my view on this question. Biggest reason for having a separate file server is not to be limited to Windows. You would have all these option, Unraid/FreeNAS/Linux/MDADM/LVM/ZFS, and you can choose the best storage method for your needs.

Another major benefit is the ability to put it in the basement or some closet, out of sight and out of hearing. Then it won't matter that much how much noise and heat it generates or how unsightly it looks. You had a problem of finding a case that could fit all your drives. I wouldn't have even tried, I would have just split the drives in two cases, remove the side panels and but them facing each other. If I wanted to be fancy I might have bolted the cases together with hinges. Below is a picture of my setup from 11 years ago. Cheap and worked just fine for all those years. That case is still serving the same duty, but with bigger drives I could fit them all internally. I just cut a hole for 14cm fan in front of the harddrive cage.

The PC doesn't need much, just enough SATA ports or PCIe slots. I've often used a left over machine after upgrading my desktop. If you at some point put the large drives internally you will have bunch of smaller drives you can use to learn alternative systems.

The perspective of that picture is perfect; for half a moment I thought you'd somehow managed to build a gigantic computer along with full-size-rack-mounted individual hard drives.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

eames posted:

The DS218+ is on sale today and I'm getting tired of waiting.

Where, out of curiosity?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

A 5TB WD Red in one of my pools faulted this morning with over a thousand write errors.

I go to check the warranty status and...

It expired one month ago. :/

Echoing call ASAP; ask for an exception since it's so close if the first person you talk to tells you it's out of warranty.

ufarn posted:

Three years on WD Reds?! That sounds like an absurd warranty, especially for reds. Guess I'm reading the fine print next time I buy.

E: That's apparently what IronWolf has, too. But still worth contacting them given how close you were to the expiration date.

Buy it with an Amex or Citi card to extend the warranty by two years. Don't use a Chase card - the one time I tried to make an extended warranty claim for a hard drive they got really confused because it's not like a cell phone where you can take it to an omnipresent repair shop and get a repair estimate. They also didn't want to accept test results from WD's official tools as a 'diagnostics report from authorized service center'. Eventually, they decided they could cover it if I sent the drive in, but I was uncomfortable with that idea so I contacted WD again and received the aforementioned warranty exception. Luckily, I had contacted WD at the beginning so it was on file that it failed so soon out of warranty; I just hadn't pushed for an exception that time.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 2, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rexxed posted:

8TB Easystore down to $121.09 at B&H. Is that the cheapest? I don't remember seeing under $129.99 for those previously but maybe I forgot a black friday deal.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...a338d3381850INT

Looks like it's over; I'm seeing it as a $139.99 Elements. But yeah, that would've been a great price!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

the milk machine posted:

is it normal for amazon to basically just break drives on purpose when they ship them?

i ordered 4x WD Red CMR 12tb drives to go in my synology; they arrived in a large cardboard box with a couple of those plastic pillows and the drives were loose in antistatic bags. one of them won't do anything or report health status, and the other will boot but has >1400 bad sectors and isn't usable in any way.

ok, i figure i can get replacements. those arrive in individual antistatic bags in a plastic mailing bag like you'd use for a tshirt. no cushioning or other packing. believe it or not, neither will report health status or do anything, one makes a very loud repetitive clunking when trying to start up.

i guess i could keep playing the replacement game until i get 2 functional drives but this seems painfully stupid. i also figure there's like a 100% chance these go back into inventory when i send them back, right? at least the warranties check out on the WD page

That sounds maddening. I recently ordered two drives from Amazon (separate orders) and they were each sent in a ready-to-ship box with hollow plastic pieces that held the drive in place in the middle. One of them even went the extra mile and came with the box further wrapped in one of those white bubble-wrap Prime envelopes. Haven't tested them yet, but unless they were grossly mishandled in transit I don't expect to have any issues.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

namlosh posted:

I was using Debian/Ubuntu mostly before I switched to CentOS for this machine. I figured it was more enterprisey and stable (lol).

IMO, just run with the Rocky Linux conversion script before deciding if you want to change everything around to an entirely different OS again. Nothing wrong with it for your use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

so i've got a synology 920+ and i've now moved to tucson, where there are a decent number of power outages. how imperative is it for me to get an upc? does the synology itself have decent protection for such things? sorry if this is stupid, but i'm rather clueless. i would imagine the synology itself doesn't have any such surge protection/blackout protection capabilities and would fall victim like any other computer, server, etc., but just wanted to make sure.

Get a UPS; plug your networking equipment and Synology into it.