Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Lol that's actually better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

how about a good palette cleanser? kubika flogging the gently caress out of an m4 on the ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCIEjdzvCk

god drat look at him fly through flugplatz like it aint no thang
this is fuckin nuts

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here are some spy photos of the M3 being driving on the street so no studio lighting or post processing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/24/2021-bmw-m3-real-world-spy-photos/

BraveUlysses posted:

how about a good palette cleanser? kubika flogging the gently caress out of an m4 on the ring

It's even more impressive considering his right arm was almost severed in that rally accident in 2011.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 24, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
On the plus side, I'm not sad to miss out on the Touring station wagon now

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here are some spy photos of the M3 being driving on the street so no studio lighting or post processing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/24/2021-bmw-m3-real-world-spy-photos/
It's even more impressive considering his right arm was almost severed in that rally accident in 2011.

This really highlights the panel gap between the hood and front bumper. You can see the inconsistency between the two cars even in size. I know panel gaps are not always useful things to complain about, but your design should hide these aspects unless your QC is PERFECT, which it never is.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

This really highlights the panel gap between the hood and front bumper. You can see the inconsistency between the two cars even in size. I know panel gaps are not always useful things to complain about, but your design should hide these aspects unless your QC is PERFECT, which it never is.

quote:

These two M3s, finished in some flavor of white and what appears to be Sao Paulo Yellow, are clearly both lingering prototypes. BMW's development engineers didn't bother to address the badges on either, and the yellow car even has visible perforations in the sheetmetal where camouflage and other body-altering elements were previously fastened; you can see the tattooing all along its rockers and both the front and rear bumpers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In order to accommodate the standard 3 series door, the M3 has a dumbass crease on the fender.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Man that front is ugly.

I wonder if it's been designed for no-front-plate jurisdictions (which is clearly not Europe), it looks even dumber with a euro plate and I'm guessing a US-style plate won't help.

The rest I can work with, but those giant grills/kidneys need to stop.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Not mine, but my sister just picked up this 2017 X3.

I drove it yesterday; the 8 speed ZF auto is a huge improvement compared the the GM 6 speed in my E91 and the rear seats are actually a comfortable place to be whereas in my car if feels like a punishment to sit in the back as there is not enough headroom.

RE: new BMWs yikes, no interest in the seemingly new direction BMW is headed ie subscription services and continent inhaling grillzz.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ThirstyBuck posted:

subscription services
Say what now?

I hadn't seen anything on this, so I went looking. It looks like BMW is currently running a pilot program to test out having features on their car available as deactivated by default, but available to purchase as a 1-year, 3-year, or lifetime subscription.

I guess the idea would be to save on production costs by adding every option to every car, simplifying the production line, and then using the car's software to turn things on and off based on what the customer purchases.

So a car would come with heated seats. And heated seat controls. But you can't use them unless you pay extra.

Which, I guess when you think about it, that's how options work on cars now. Buy what you want. And then when you sell the car the next owner can set it up how they want it.

Don't really know how to feel about it, honestly. I guess it could save some production costs, but I'm too cynical (or a realist) to think they would pass any of that savings to the consumer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This is not an effort to save on production costs, it's an effort to gain recurring revenue over the lifecycle of the car, and it's also an attempt to sell the same feature twice (once in the lease market, once in the CPO market), since options command a tiny fraction of their value in the CPO market.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

gently caress modern cars
gently caress bmw
gently caress this

I hate it here

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

But i do love e30 evo fabric

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yo, that is a great choice. :love: your car

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bape Culture posted:

gently caress modern cars
gently caress bmw
gently caress this

I hate it here

I’m kind of sad that as soon as I can afford a new BMW they decide they don’t want me as a customer.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

In order to accommodate the standard 3 series door, the M3 has a dumbass crease on the fender.

lol that’s some shameful cost cutting. Even Audi with the whole diesel gate scandal and its lower production number RS cars still puts RS specific rear doors on four door RS cars.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

I’m kind of sad that as soon as I can afford a new BMW they decide they don’t want me as a customer.

On the other hand, pay for no options, then get a tune and unlock all that poo poo too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Big Jesus posted:

On the other hand, pay for no options, then get a tune and unlock all that poo poo too

Assuming someone breaks the encryption on the ECU that controls those features.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I am going to be one of those old guys telling stories of "back in my day" ... cars were drivers cars... then they turned into driving appliances... then they turned into overpriced money-grabbing, recurring revenue streams....

sigh.

The new M models are horrendous. :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
most cars were loving dogshit back in the day though

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most cars were loving dogshit back in the day though

well "my day" is E46 and E90... still decent. :)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That door/fender is shockingly bad, maybe those are preproduction?

Looking back, the E65 and E90 were ugly as gently caress but the LCI vastly improved them. Maybe we will get the same here? I would say it can’t get worse but I know better.

That green is hot, though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The LCI did almost nothing to the E9x M3 though? The iDrive control knob changed very slightly, and the taillights are minutely different, but I can't tell the difference by looking at them without the cars side by side. Literally almost nothing changed through the entire run of that car.

Now, that being said... the non-M3 E9x's are all hideous and nothing makes them less hideous (aside from bolting on as many M3 parts as you can), so perhaps you meant that.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The coupe looked pretty good before/after the LCI and the M3 sedan was fine. Pre-LCI non-M sedan/wagon was a butt.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ok, I definitely agree with the wagon/sedan delineation from the coupe -both were so blobby and weirdly-proportioned, especially the wagon.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

But i do love e30 evo fabric

Eagerly awaiting glamour shots of this interior!

Also, regarding new M3/4 rear bumper--it's intentionally going after that prolapsed orifice look?

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 26, 2020

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

He is just so smooth, you can hear the tires at certain points and even that sound is consistent & controlled. Pretty incredible for a guy that barely has two arms.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I love my E92 and E46 pretty equally, there aren't too many good rear drive - manual transmission cars these days I don't think i'll ever sell these. I briefly had an e90 with idrive, what an awful system that was.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

sanchez posted:

He is just so smooth, you can hear the tires at certain points and even that sound is consistent & controlled. Pretty incredible for a guy that barely has two arms.

The way he seems to softly grip the wheel and casual style of steering blows my mind.

Is he shifting with the paddles or letting the audio handle it all?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
He's definitely shifting with paddles, although tbqh that generation of DCT 'auto' in sport mode actually does a very good job of not putting you in the wrong gear while tracking it - something the E9x can't quite claim as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's gonna suck if the nostril M3 is amazing on the track for some reason

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Noticed this while leaving work tonight. I have questions. I like the chip in the fender from what I assume is a ring? I didn't see anything anywhere else on the car but I'll take a better look at work tomorrow morning.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lame. Some greasy-handed girl jumped up and sat on her hands while someone took a picture of her sitting on your car for the 'gram

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Lame. Some greasy-handed girl jumped up and sat on her hands while someone took a picture of her sitting on your car for the 'gram

I doubt that happened at work but I feel like I would have noticed it before tonight? Hopefully they didn't dent my hood. I didn't see anything but it is dark.

I think this is my favorite G8x fix so far.

That works better with that terrible hood than I thought it would.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
To the poster who was asking about posters--BMW CCA foundation website.

Mavis was able to save a Sport Pilot on the M2 by plugging it. Found a penny nail somewhere.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

fknlo posted:

I doubt that happened at work but I feel like I would have noticed it before tonight? Hopefully they didn't dent my hood. I didn't see anything but it is dark.

I think this is my favorite G8x fix so far.

That works better with that terrible hood than I thought it would.

Yeah that looks fantastic. Mix of 8 series with the new styling. This is making good feelings in my head and my nether regions.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me if I need to remove the engine cover to access the pre-cat O2 sensors on a M54 (2002 325xi touring)?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes, you do, the o2 sensor plugs are under it, iirc

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

infraboy posted:

I love my E92 and E46 pretty equally, there aren't too many good rear drive - manual transmission cars these days I don't think i'll ever sell these. I briefly had an e90 with idrive, what an awful system that was.

Red leather seats are the best seats
(I am not saying this because I have the same seats in my E82)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, you do, the o2 sensor plugs are under it, iirc

Ok, thanks!