Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

flightless greeb posted:

4 doors is nice but not absolutely necessary but the hatch is a big deal to me because of the commercial plate thing, and I do want as much cargo room as I can get in a car type platform. I went wagon for my work car atm but theres no fast wagons under 50 grand it seems like.

I really liked my 2018 440i GC. I bought it new because I needed a reliable car for my 155mi commute to work across Alligator Alley. It hauled rear end with the 8-speed slushbox and had stupid hauling ability. You can drop the rear seats and get 10ft EMT sticks or copper pipe inside with the hatch closed.

I sold it because I got a job 18 miles from home and I wanted to get back into a 'vert with a V-8. I found a 2012 650i with 18k miles for $24k and that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

flightless greeb posted:

Do you need to tune the ZF8 for that kind of power as well or are these all in manual cars? I would assume the trans would have issues jumping that much in power numbers.

Yeah there’s transmission tuning software you can buy that pumps up the line pressure to hold power better. The transmission seems to hold up pretty well to more power, it’s drive shafts that seem to get ripped apart on the xdrive cars.

What people are doing with the B58 is downright impressive. It’s probably the most tunable BMW platform since the N54. The fact that they seem relatively reliable is a good thing for those of us who aren’t trying to make big power.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

ausgezeichnet posted:

I really liked my 2018 440i GC. I bought it new because I needed a reliable car for my 155mi commute to work across Alligator Alley. It hauled rear end with the 8-speed slushbox and had stupid hauling ability. You can drop the rear seats and get 10ft EMT sticks or copper pipe inside with the hatch closed.

I sold it because I got a job 18 miles from home and I wanted to get back into a 'vert with a V-8. I found a 2012 650i with 18k miles for $24k and that was it.

That 650i is a hell of a car. It’s a big upgrade from the 440i, enjoy it.

That said, keep a couple of quarts in the trunk. The N63 burns a little more oil than most cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kronix posted:

What people are doing with the B58 is downright impressive. It’s probably the most tunable BMW platform since the N54. The fact that they seem relatively reliable is a good thing for those of us who aren’t trying to make big power.

BMW is absolutely working on drivetrain reliability. The N55 was better than the N54 and they made even more improvements with the S55. The B series made things even better. The thing where Toyota is comfortable running them in one of their cars says a lot too.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

kronix posted:

That 650i is a hell of a car. It’s a big upgrade from the 440i, enjoy it.

That said, keep a couple of quarts in the trunk. The N63 burns a little more oil than most cars.

I had a 2008 M6 Cabrio for a few years and while it was neat to have a car with a 500hp V-10, I have way more than enough juice with this 400hp twin-turbo to get me revved up. The M6 had a SMG trans and I always felt I was on the verge of a $10,000 repair from one thing or another. The 350mi round trip commute quickly convinced me to get rid of it - I couldn't make the round trip on one tank of gas.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You spent 7+ hours a day driving?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

ausgezeichnet posted:

Hey thanks, thats the exact year and color I'd want too!

Good to know re the ZF8 tunes also - I doubt Id try to push for that much power but it would be nice to maybe just do a Stage 1 tune or something

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

You spent 7+ hours a day driving?

It was once or twice a week. I put 10,000 mi on the M6 in about five months, 52,000 mi on a 2015 435i in 26 months, then 18,000 mi on the 440i in just over a year.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
having flashbacks to driving my new 2005 wrx wagon 55k miles in 2 years, ugh what a slog

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Residency Evil posted:

I have a feeling once you get to the point where your cars are somewhere else, you're never going to end up driving them.

A garage big enough for a lift might be a slightly better option, but still imperfect.

That’s a fair point.

Not a fan of lifts in standard garages. If there’s a loving process to get a car down to drive it, I might as well sell the drat thing cause it’s going to piss me off every time.

TacoHavoc posted:

Does the area you're looking in have enough space to consider something like a 2 or 3 car attached plus pole barn or other garage structure?

Not typically, though I have seen some listings in the Denver area that had one. My biggest annoyance with real estate listing is no one gives two fucks about the garage situation.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Look for something with an unfinished basement then knock out the wall between that and the garage. Took our slightly oversized (extra deep) two car garage into a eight car garage. Isn't pretty and it's still kind of a pain in the rear end getting cars out but it works. If the stupid ceilings weren't exactly eight feet I'd be stacking cars as well.

Eight cars is slightly cheating because three of them are tiny

That’s interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen a basement accessible from ground level but I’ll keep that in mind.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ausgezeichnet posted:

It was once or twice a week. I put 10,000 mi on the M6 in about five months, 52,000 mi on a 2015 435i in 26 months, then 18,000 mi on the 440i in just over a year.

Nice! I bloody love seeing cars just get used as they should be.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

fknlo posted:

BMW is absolutely working on drivetrain reliability. The N55 was better than the N54 and they made even more improvements with the S55. The B series made things even better. The thing where Toyota is comfortable running them in one of their cars says a lot too.

Yeah the S55 feels just as solid as a US market S52 other than the increased amount of plastic bits, IMO, but there's also 30 years of material science development between here and there.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah the S55 feels just as solid as a US market S52 other than the increased amount of plastic bits, IMO, but there's also 30 years of material science development between here and there.

Yeah, outside of the crankhub issue they're pretty solid. Here's hoping the S58 is even better.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

fknlo posted:

Apparently Toyota was involved in the QC process for the B58. I saw it in a video describing the build/design process for the new Z4/Supra.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

Nice! I bloody love seeing cars just get used as they should be.

driving across florida?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

driving across florida?

It’s a big daft gt car so anythinf that involves banging miles on it is cool imo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

flightless greeb posted:

Hey thanks, thats the exact year and color I'd want too!

Good to know re the ZF8 tunes also - I doubt Id try to push for that much power but it would be nice to maybe just do a Stage 1 tune or something

the 8HPXX is pretty beefy, you'll definitely put other parts at risk first

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bape Culture posted:

It’s a big daft gt car so anythinf that involves banging miles on it is cool imo

gently caress I'm agreeing with bape, '21 is wild

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why wouldn’t every one agree with their good pal and favourite poster, me

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kronix posted:

Yeah, outside of the crankhub issue they're pretty solid. Here's hoping the S58 is even better.

And even the crankhub going doesn't seem to actually grenade the engine in the majority of cases. All the evidence I've seen points to the $99 crank bolt capture solving it too.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

And even the crankhub going doesn't seem to actually grenade the engine in the majority of cases. All the evidence I've seen points to the $99 crank bolt capture solving it too.

I really need to get around to doing this.

I also need to get around to driving my car again. I did take it for a spin today since the weather was nice for once.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

I really need to get around to doing this.

I also need to get around to driving my car again. I did take it for a spin today since the weather was nice for once.

You do.

I'm still waiting on the new charge cooler. I've been driving it maybe once a week or so since I found out it was leaking.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

kronix posted:

Apparently Toyota was involved in the QC process for the B58. I saw it in a video describing the build/design process for the new Z4/Supra.

TBH they really needed it. The N54/55 was yikes

They should do the V8s next

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Ultimate Mango posted:

And remove the turbos. Actually, just bring back the S65 and increase displacement to 4.8L.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They can just borrow the V8 from Lexus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

They can just borrow the V8 from Lexus.

Call it an even trade for the Supra engine.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Stinger GT doesn’t let you do a burnout even when you turn everything off. Also it’s very funny on track. Absolute yacht

Update on this. It got stolen off his drive last night. Clearly a bad omen.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

TBH they really needed it. The N54/55 was yikes

The N55 isn't bad. It's certainly not anywhere near as bad as the N54. That said, keep an eye on that oil filter housing gasket.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kronix posted:

The N55 isn't bad. It's certainly not anywhere near as bad as the N54. That said, keep an eye on that oil filter housing gasket.

Mine is leaking again 2 months after getting it repaired :negative:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

rscott posted:

Mine is leaking again 2 months after getting it repaired :negative:

Either a defective gasket or someone installed it poorly. If this were an N54 you'd be on your 3rd set of $1400 injectors.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

kronix posted:

Either a defective gasket or someone installed it poorly. If this were an N54 you'd be on your 3rd set of $1400 injectors.

That gasket sucks... but Index 12 injectors have been great for me. FCP Euro'd them in case I have another failure. :D

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

jink posted:

That gasket sucks... but Index 12 injectors have been great for me. FCP Euro'd them in case I have another failure. :D

Yeah, I just know my dad had* a N54 535i that he sold after 4 years because the whole set of injectors was replaced twice. He also had the fuel pump leave him stranded with 4k miles on the side of the Long Island Expressway.

Back when I bought my 2014 335i I was really tempted to get a leftover e92 335is but that N54 scares the poo poo out of me and I wanted 4 doors anyway.

kronix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 24, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

get that N52 328 instead babay

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

kronix posted:

Yeah, I just know my dad had* a N54 535i that he sold after 4 years because the whole set of injectors was replaced twice. He also had the fuel pump leave him stranded with 4k miles on the side of the Long Island Expressway.

Back when I bought my 2014 335i I was really tempted to get a leftover e92 335is but that N54 scares the poo poo out of me and I wanted 4 doors anyway.

I don't blame him... I've had mine since 2014 and I've done every repair out of warranty. The car sucks and always breaks but it is fun.

However, if anyone has an N54 make sure you have replaced the HPFP, Injectors with Index 12, oil cooler gasket, valve cover gasket, etc. This car will destroy itself if you aren't ON TOP OF THE MAINTENANCE.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

get that N52 328 instead babay

Yeah, this is what I recommend to my friends. I try to steer them to a 128i though. :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I could go on about what doesn't have bad injectors or leaking oil filter housing gaskets but you already know S65 powered M3's :ssh:

Had a break in the weather yesterday and fired up the M3 for the first time in a month or more to pick my daughter up from her performing arts class. I have had fleeting thoughts about selling it and going all in on a newer Land Cruiser overland build thing but that 30 minutes worth of driving brought me back to my senses.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I could go on about what doesn't have bad injectors or leaking oil filter housing gaskets but you already know S65 powered M3's :ssh:

Had a break in the weather yesterday and fired up the M3 for the first time in a month or more to pick my daughter up from her performing arts class. I have had fleeting thoughts about selling it and going all in on a newer Land Cruiser overland build thing but that 30 minutes worth of driving brought me back to my senses.

Oh yeah, trust me, that was the car I wanted. I couldn't afford one in 2014 so I got a 335is. I've since put in close to $70k with buying price and feel like a total idiot. Worthless on the used market, nobody wants to touch an N54. So, I track it and drive it on the weekends. Sigh.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'll post my e92 in this thread tomorrow but I have to warn you all - it's real loving bad

Consider this as a call for help - it's my dad's car that I'm now responsible for because he's lazy and did not want to register it in another state when he moved. Instead he decided to just sign the title over to me for $1 (nice right?).

Well there are a bunch of small problems that fortunately have nothing to do with the drive train!

It's a burgundy 2009 335d and I love driving it, but I seriously need help because I'm dumb.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Warm weather here has melted snow off the roads, just need a couple good rain storms and I can take the M3 out again. Salt is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'll post my e92 in this thread tomorrow but I have to warn you all - it's real loving bad

Consider this as a call for help - it's my dad's car that I'm now responsible for because he's lazy and did not want to register it in another state when he moved. Instead he decided to just sign the title over to me for $1 (nice right?).

Well there are a bunch of small problems that fortunately have nothing to do with the drive train!

It's a burgundy 2009 335d and I love driving it, but I seriously need help because I'm dumb.
hey man, anything to distract from my E92 disaster.