Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Additionally the DCT in the E9x is one hundred million times better than the SMG in the E60 so gets far more out of the high revs position the engine is best at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

One weird trick to help the E60 M5 looks, get an E61 ;)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

TheBacon posted:

One weird trick to help the E60 M5 looks, get an E61 ;)

:pwn: (jk)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In short: Buy an M3. Buy an E90 M3.

this is what i would do as well, it's kind of the e39 m5's younger sibling

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I will simply drive two e30s it’s kind of like an e60 but better

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of E39s. Some dude a couple of hours away is selling a whole individual Cinnamon Brown for an E39 Touring but alas it's manual sport seats. That made me wonder, was it only the M5 that had electric sport seats (i.e. with the thigh support that I so crave)?

Kicking myself a bit for not picking up the M5 interior that was for sale a couple of months ago as from what I've read, they are really good seats. I'm pretty tall (6' 4" ish) with long legs, so good thigh support is a big bonus. Anyone have experience with the different E39 seat and being tall? I've got the normal electric ones right now.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 7, 2024

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I need some help figuring out what's going on with the power steering system in my E92 M3. I posted a while ago about issues with the belt squealing after installing an ECS pulley, even after replacing the belt tensioner. I put up with this for a while but recently dove back in to diagnose it.

The car is a 2007/09 build, so the following should be true (as long as the engine is original):

• The PS belt is single sided, with a factory length of 1067 (ECS kit is 1035)
  • The idler pulley is offset
  • The PS pump runs clockwise
  • The PS belt runs over the pump pulley and under the idler pulley

After pulling off the idler, belt, and PS pump pulley (destroying the weak lovely nylon pulley in the process), as well as checking the old belt, I found the following:

• PS belt is single sided with length 1067
  • Idler pulley is centred, not offset (see pic)
  • PS pump looks to have part number 228304102, which as far as I can tell corresponds to an early-build clockwise pump (see pic)

So my best guess is that one of the previous owners installed a later-model idler pulley for some godamn reason, and the belt tension issue was only exposed after I swapped in the ECS main pulley and shorter belt. Before doing the swap I didn't notice any belt slipping. Or the engine was swapped with a later model, but they kept the original PS pump and belt (why?!). Or something even less likely.

At the moment I think the most sensible approach is to swap the idler pulley for an offset version. However, the offset pulley is keyed on the engine side from what I can tell in pics and the current pulley mount does not look compatible with this (see pic). Is this pulley mount swappable or is it part of the engine block?

edit: posting on mobile so I'm not sure if the below are loving up the tables

edit2: A bit more research shows that the idler pulley mount is part of the oil filter housing, and if I want to go back to the offset pulley I also need the compatible oil filter housing (part number 11427838275).

Current pulley

Current PS pump label (number is a bit hard to read)

Current pulley mount

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 21, 2024

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
So I've recently become enamored with E34s. I've had E30s, E28s, E36s, E46s, and feel like I need to fill in the gap with a grown up big boy BMW. I especially love the Touring, but since manual is a must it seems like that narrows the options to like 3 in the world at any given time. Coming from an M20 E30, which to me is "old car fast," it seems like the V8s in the E34 are the way to go, no? I don't think I could stomach an M20/M30 in a much larger car than an E30, maybe I'm wrong though. I loved my E28 M5 to death and obviously regret selling it, E39 M5's are getting into unobtainium territory, so if you want manual 4 door vintage BMW action, especially for like <$15k or so, what are your options? The alternative of course is just another E30, but I think I'd want to mix it up and maybe try to track down a nice Touring, or at least get a sedan instead of a coupe.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
E34 M5 has the souped up i6 in the M3 doesn't it? I think that probably the best option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

theultimo posted:

E34 M5 has the souped up i6 in the M3 doesn't it? I think that probably the best option.

aint no way you get a good example for under 15k but this is the correct answer

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
S54-swapped E46 touring on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-325i-sport-wagon-6/

This seems like it’s pretty far off from an E46 M3 but I’m not well versed with that platform. Outside of the bodywork, does this have a lot of the running gear?

Part of me thinks this is more interesting than a panamera wagon but I can’t quite decide.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

S54-swapped E46 touring on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-325i-sport-wagon-6/

This seems like it’s pretty far off from an E46 M3 but I’m not well versed with that platform. Outside of the bodywork, does this have a lot of the running gear?

Part of me thinks this is more interesting than a panamera wagon but I can’t quite decide.

Driveline should be equiv based on the description/pics/seller comments (sounds like some ambiguity on if the LSD is from an M3 or something else but should provide same experience). Suspension should be most of the way there but I can’t tell if the control arms and such have been swapped out (but I did not dig through all the documents).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's not bad. I don't know how many parts the E46 M3 shares with the regular 3-series but I assume it's "not many".

I'd buy this if I was trying to show up the Panameradads
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30OyZmGp/2004-volvo-v70r

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So I need a little help here.

Neighbor's car was hit in the middle of the night and whoever did it bailed. Guessing someone was inebriated and didn't want to face the cops.

Two major parts were left behind by the perp though. The part number for the red reflector points toward F30/F31 specifically with the M sport package since the non M sport ones seem to have a different shape. But I am a bit intrigued by the "extra" sensor on the rear quarter. Was it only certain options packages that added this? I had an F31 and it only had the 4 on the rear bumper and most I see for sale don't have anymore either. Is it the 5DP package that adds these or are there other options that do? And was this only on the LCI (2016-2019) models?

Since we have a lot of public information available here in commieland I managed to pull a list of all F30/F31 LCI cars in white in this area and from that list of around 30 only one has the 337 and 5DP options.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This is amazing and I can’t wait to see how it plays out. Will the BMW Thread solve a crime!?!?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So I need a little help here.

Neighbor's car was hit in the middle of the night and whoever did it bailed. Guessing someone was inebriated and didn't want to face the cops.

Two major parts were left behind by the perp though. The part number for the red reflector points toward F30/F31 specifically with the M sport package since the non M sport ones seem to have a different shape. But I am a bit intrigued by the "extra" sensor on the rear quarter. Was it only certain options packages that added this? I had an F31 and it only had the 4 on the rear bumper and most I see for sale don't have anymore either. Is it the 5DP package that adds these or are there other options that do? And was this only on the LCI (2016-2019) models?

Since we have a lot of public information available here in commieland I managed to pull a list of all F30/F31 LCI cars in white in this area and from that list of around 30 only one has the 337 and 5DP options.

If it's like here I'll bet you a lot of money that it's some little poo poo with too much debt in his BMW that was out trying to "drift" on public streets with his friends.

Edit: the side sensor is for the park assist, so yeah, 5DP package.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 24, 2024

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
go look on Reddit they probably already have a post asking "how much to fix!@@!?"

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

go look on Reddit they probably already have a post asking "how much to fix!@@!?"

Haha, I did already check Facebook groups and some other places.

What I believe happened is this: Our road is temporarily blocked off right past our house since they are redoing some infrastructure and have dug up a bunch of roads. People who don't live here aren't aware of it and some like to use our street as a shortcut to get to a bigger road leading to various places. Likely someone not aware of the road closing came barreling down the street late at night (not unlikely they had a couple of drinks IMO), came to a quick halt and since the road narrows near the block threw it into reverse and hauled rear end right into my neighbor's parked car sitting on the side of the road 30 meters down. You'd have to be pretty loving clueless to manage this so I suspect alcohol was involved or it was a car full of young people and the driver was showing off somehow.

I doubt they got out to inspect the damage or get the license plate of the car they hit or anything or they wouldn't left entire pieces of the car lying in the street.

So the car I found that was the only one in the area matching the parameters (2016-2019 3 series with 5DP and 337 options, white) is registered to a 57 year old lady. Who also has another car (a cheaper VW) that just went through inspection a few weeks ago so appears to be in active use. Since she lives alone I think it's one of her kids who drives it and the car's in mom's name for cheaper insurance (BMW insurance can be brutal for guys in their early 20s).

Anyway, I can't go all vigilante with this poo poo so will just hand over my "research" to the authorities at this point. I doubt they'd ever put this kind of effort into locating a simple hit and run with just property damage but maybe they'll actually do something if I hand all of this over. I imagine a quick phone call to the owner might be enough.

Of course it could be an entirely different car since I only checked the ones in our county. But it was fun playing detective for a while. I found a site where you could plug in car models, colors and model year and it'd spit out a list of cars with license plate #s (it's all considered public information here in Sweden which in itself is kind of hosed up IMO). From the license plate it was just another search to get the VIN and then just plug that poo poo into a VIN decoder. So that gave me a list of all the cars with the relevant options. Plenty of M sports, one non M sport with 5DP, and only one with both.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 24, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Imagine the embarrassment when you're eventually hauled to prison and you have to meet with the prison gang leaders and tell them you fell for the M Sport marketing

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sold the E46 officially today, got 6500 Canadian pesos for it. :toot:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Imagine the embarrassment when you're eventually hauled to prison and you have to meet with the prison gang leaders and tell them you fell for the M Sport marketing

Well lookie here. Pics passed onto cops and the insurance company. I'm a god drat detective!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
a bmw thread success story!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

the milk machine posted:

a bmw thread success story!

It was a heck of an adventure! They had backed the car in and parked another car in front of it doing their best to hide the damage so you wouldn't have noticed it just walking/driving by. But I hopped a fence from a nearby parking lot and got a good angle.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Time to make a Citizens Arrest

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It was a heck of an adventure! They had backed the car in and parked another car in front of it doing their best to hide the damage so you wouldn't have noticed it just walking/driving by. But I hopped a fence from a nearby parking lot and got a good angle.

Fine work, I'm honestly amazed. LOL.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
....just eh one more thing.

Nice work!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
columbowned

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Any story that ends in the arrest of a BMW owner is, frankly, for the good of society.

Speaking of scofflaws, I continue to be unable to pass emissions inspection on my e46. I figured mixed driving for 60 miles would do it, but apparently you have to do an elaborate set of achievements that seem only to be possible to unlock on a closed test track.

Guess I'll be hitting the roads after dark tonight to *checks notes* drive at 25 miles an hour for 4 minutes without stopping or going over 3000 rpm while the AC is cranked and the rear defroster is on.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well lookie here. Pics passed onto cops and the insurance company. I'm a god drat detective!

Congrats!
Thread loving delivers

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Any story that ends in the arrest of a BMW owner is, frankly, for the good of society.

Speaking of scofflaws, I continue to be unable to pass emissions inspection on my e46. I figured mixed driving for 60 miles would do it, but apparently you have to do an elaborate set of achievements that seem only to be possible to unlock on a closed test track.

Guess I'll be hitting the roads after dark tonight to *checks notes* drive at 25 miles an hour for 4 minutes without stopping or going over 3000 rpm while the AC is cranked and the rear defroster is on.

These Gran Turismo license tests have taken a weird turn thanks to woke emissions standards. I had to drive mine for 100 miles-ish at 60+ after getting a battery change before they could even hook it up, two years ago.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

woke emissions standards

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
For anyone that uses Mobil 1 0w40, check your Walmart because mine has the 12qt box for $35

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Starting to look at getting back into a BMW. For the F80/F82, are there any aftermarket options for ventilated front seats? I live in Texas and that's one of the things that's highest on my "essential options on new car" list. I don't really want to go up in size to a 5 series, but it looks like that is where they start coming from the factory with that option.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Starting to look at getting back into a BMW. For the F80/F82, are there any aftermarket options for ventilated front seats? I live in Texas and that's one of the things that's highest on my "essential options on new car" list. I don't really want to go up in size to a 5 series, but it looks like that is where they start coming from the factory with that option.

I've never heard of an aftermarket solution, but vented seats are an option in the G80. Only with the black interior, IIRC, so not worth it in my book.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

I've never heard of an aftermarket solution, but vented seats are an option in the G80. Only with the black interior, IIRC, so not worth it in my book.

Yeah after some googling it looks like the option is just buying a different car. I refuse to buy the pig nostril car, so I may go toward something like an M550i :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Proving again that the fastest car on the road is an Altima rental car uh...or... one with paper tags err.... one with those stickers/badges!

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I bet that owner would make for interesting conversation...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I have been in contact with a shop in FL that can do an E91 M3 wagon conversion. It's Precision Sport Industries and they did the Bilstein-sponsored orange "GTS tribute" build a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW68NqCZ1vY

I spoke with the owner yesterday and spent a half hour going through the process, what I wanted out of it, and talked rough numbers. The orange car was obviously their showcase of what could be done and I told him this would be my daily. Kids, sporting events, and a giant dog. My budget is a fraction of what that orange car's build cost and there was an understanding on both sides that we wouldn't move forward if my budget was on the razor's edge of feasibility. Based on the video series for the orange car, it does seem like they make this as turn-key, OEM-like as possible. And this would be the full external transformation including rear fenders and bumper.

I put together some notes today to outline their minimum cost for labor and materials, the cost of two donor cars, and the "while you're in there" items. Unfortunately it's about $20K higher than I'm willing to spend. I sent my notes to the owner today and told him, based on my assumptions, it doesn't look like this is going to work out. He's going to figure out what the minimum is that they need to do and get back to me. That puts a lot more pressure on the donor cars being in good condition. Ideally the engine has rod bearings and throttle actuators already done, miles on the donor car are reasonable so the engine, transmission, and diff have good life in them, and overall it's not a basketcase. I would also need a wrap instead of a repaint.

I'm a little disappointed it's (probably) not going to work but I'm glad I went through the process of finding out. Otherwise I would have the nagging thought of "what if" in my mind. The dream is not completely dead and somehow my wife is mostly onboard with my outrageously dumb ideas. And yes, it could be done cheaper but with work and kids my time available to orchestrate work done at multiple shops out of state is nonexistent.

I'm also struggling with whether or not this is worth more than a Panamera Turbo wagon + another cheap fun car. I think from a practical sense the Panamera makes more sense but an E91 M3 6sp would be really drat special. And if I go down the path of an E91 build I'm on car-buying timeout for a while.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're not sitting on a pile of fuckin around money, I can't see that ever being worth it. That's like the people who wanted to do 135 to 1M conversions and then found out it was cheaper to just buy a 1M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I like the insanity of it but fundamentally with that money you should just buy an E92 M3 for you and the dog and and E90 M3 for the wife and kids to follow behind you.