Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ACEofsnett posted:

Subframe bushings are the single worst job on an e30 outside of rear wheel bearing replacement. (usually trailing arm replacement, instead..)
You don't need to remove the subframe to do the bushing install. It can be about a 2.5 hr job, for the IE poly bushings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I am the proud owner (along with the bank) of a 2002 M Coupe. I am currently in the process of turning it into a car that is only fit for the track, but I've gotten a bit behind on the "installing things" compared to the "buying things". Since the picture below was taken, I have installed coilovers, giving a drop of about 1.25 inch all round, replaced the yellowed headlights with new aftermarket projectors, changed the M gills to Z3 gills, and removed the badging on the rear end. There's a lot else done to it, but that's the only thing you'd be able to see, looking at it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 28, 2008

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Whoo, put new wheels and tires on the coupe finally. Next, to finish the exhaust system, and then to start thinking about where I can pull my transmission to replace the shift pins.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

TractionControl posted:

He replaced the M vents on the side with standard Z3 ones.

And removed the M emblem from the rear. It's surprised a couple of people so far. I can't say the wheels are a step in the right direction towards making it less conspicuous, though.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CornHolio posted:

I didn't at first, but its really grown on me after seeing some in person. If it ends up being the only BMW left untainted by iDrive, then it'll be the only BMW I'll buy new.

Here's a fixed one, which someone here on the forums photoshopped. It's amazing how much difference removing that stupid droop makes.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 20, 2008

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BraveUlysses posted:

All non-M E36's are susceptible to subframe failures, and E46's area already showing problems well under 100K mi, which looks like many more in the future as E46's continue to age.

The Z3s are also susceptible to the subframe issue. It is a constant worry for M
Coupe owners as the extra power and general driving hoonery that often accompanies owning one tends to put them under extra stress.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mad Dragon posted:

Z3s use the same rear end.

Which would tend to indicate that the 318 is susceptible.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Well... after a year of hating my Ford, I am back in the BMW camp. Picked up a low-mileage 135is last week.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Blue cars have been very popular as of late. If blue do a burnout. Do a burnout for other colors also. Did the 135is get the option for the DCT? I know they had them in the 335is. Which one did you get? Details!

The 135is did get the DCT option but I searched out a 6-sp manual.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Well, the missus' 2016 X1 had the water pump poo poo the bed at 42K miles. She's taken it to the dealership twice trying to get the mirrors not to stay in the "reverse view" down-tilt after she shifts out of reverse, and now, somehow, one of the rear wheels was two degrees camber and 1/16th toe out of alignment, resulting in uneven tire wear and a heck of a lot of road noise. I guess I'm finally feeling the BMW maintenance pain everyone else always seems to have strike them?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

crazzy posted:

From my personal experience with track costs, triple whatever you think it costs vs what it actually costs....and even then it might be under what the final total winds up being.

WTF are you all talking about? Cheap BYO trackdays can be had under $300 for a whole day, and consumables cost for that is... fuel. As long as you're talking about a moderately engineered sporty car.

A half-day arrive-and-drive trackday for $500 isn't a screaming bargain, but it's not awful either.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i dont think it's reasonable to assume that your only costs for a track day are fuel wtf

If you are tracking regularly, sure, of course, but a single-day track day as a relative novice is not going to completely destroy your tires or brakes. So you shave 500 miles off your tires' total life and 500 miles off your brake pads, that's what, 1/20th, 1/30th of their total life? Maybe you play it safe and also get an oil change after the trackday, at $180?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

maybe if you are dead slow and driving a slow car

Novice at a trackday? They are.

EDIT: I mean, I'm not just blowing smoke, I have done trackdays with cars of varying power levels and consumables costs for over a decade. Everything from a second-gen Miata, to a heavily modified S54 M Coupe, to a Porsche, to a Fiesta ST. The M Coupe was, by far, the most expensive and my total cost was around $1500/$1600 for a two-day event (factoring in brakes, tires, oil change + filter, hotel, fuel, and trackday insurance). Trackdays are by no means cheap but they can also be had no-so-expensively that $500 for a half-day (What, two 20-min sessions? Maybe three?) is a bargain.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 9, 2019

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: ^^^^ And mine have been nothing like that until I started diving out of the realm of "casual trackday" and into the realm of "let's go racing".

crazzy posted:

...Tires alone run $2k a weekend for a7/r7's....

Going rate for an AER seat is $3-5k a weekend, and most teams are just breaking even at that point.

If you're a novice, or don't drive that fast, consumables might not be terrible, but at a competitive or even not that competitive pace, everything breaks, everything wears out, costs a drat fortune....

Bro, OEM pads I'll get 1, MAYBE 2 laps before the pads are down to the backing plate and the fluid is boiled.

Who's paying $180 for an oil change? even redline 50wt race oil isn't that much unless you're trying to refill the dry sump hopper.

Yes. A guy looking to do an arrive-and-drive half-day track event is buying Hoosiers for his vehicle as the alternative.

Yes. A guy looking to do an arrive-and-drive half-day track event is looking at a two-day weekend race series seat as the alternative.

Yes. A guy looking to do an arrive-and-drive half-day track event is going to be driving at a race-competitive pace.

Who's paying $180 for an oil change? Guys taking their BMW to the dealership, you know, the sort of guy who's wondering about doing an arrive-and-drive half-day track event.

EDIT2: $500 just isn't a screaming deal for a half-day, guys. BMW is not out there, losing money on consumables and instructors and track rental, to tempt people into buying M Cars by letting them run them on a track.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 9, 2019

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

Okay, lets say he has a mild off in his shiny new street car and rips off a piece of undertray or bends a wheel.

I bet it's cheaper to fix on his car than what he'd be liable for if he did it in the rental M.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

crazzy posted:

Those cars are insured with track insurance, normally its covered in the $500 fee. Check the terms and conditions.

In your own car for a non-race event, you can get lockton, normally costs the same as the event or more depending on the agreed upon value. Can be worth it if you're an aggressive driver.
DE4 guy in nasa has totaled 2 c6 z06's and gotten paid out no questions asked. Not a bad deal if you know you're that guy that's gonna need it.
There's nothing on their website that says either way. I tend to err on the side of "we will charge you for this damage".

I've never paid more than $220 for a two-day event through lockton. Never paid less than $180. Again, across all the cars, from $5000 stated worth to $45K stated worth. I've also never made a claim against it.

Totaling 2 Vettes? Maybe it's time for him to get a, you know, dedicated track car with proper safety gear.

But again, we're talking about a novice considering a half-day arrive-and-drive event.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

You should post the deductible cost ;)

10 percent of the agreed-upon value. So, depends on the vehicle I was insuring.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa. This is beautiful and also literally 500 feet from my front door. T E M P T I N G

Yeah but how do you justify buying a 70s pollution-box like that when you could buy a new EV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cobalt60 posted:

So buy that and convert it to electric ya nit wit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't want to shop shame, but in 2019 what argument do people make for buying an ICE car other than "I want it and dont care about the consequences"??