Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are the M track days worth it? Looks like there's still room for a half-day session at Monticello in NY, 8am - 1pm, for $500. I don't have much track experience, only autocross.

I don't want to go to work that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Are the M track days worth it? Looks like there's still room for a half-day session at Monticello in NY, 8am - 1pm, for $500. I don't have much track experience, only autocross.

i did a M track day in 2017 when they had the big M track days tour and i got about 8-10 laps in on an m3 and m4, some autocross runs and a heads-up drag race.

you might want to look on YT and see if anyone has posted their prior experiences? that racetrack looks GORGEOUS and would probably be pretty fun but 500 bucks might not buy you that much on-track time?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The M3 seems to be running well with the new plugs and filters. Definitely a little more turbo noise and the crackles when you lift seem a bit crispier I guess? I was a little worried I didn't get the charge pipes attached correctly on the turbo side because there was quite a bit of play there, but like I said, it seems to be fine. There's only 1 bolt there and it has a massive shoulder on it so I assume it's supposed to have some play, but it really seemed excessive.

The insurance company representing the person that hit me called and left a message. They want to proceed without filing a claim. The husband of the lady that hit me owns a lawn care business and her vehicle is covered under the company policy so I'm sure that kind of stuff adds up. I've never done anything without going through insurance after an accident and have no idea how that kind of stuff works and what kind of hassle it is if they decide they want to fight me on something. I'm personally fine with whatever as long as the car is made whole again.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

can the thread title be an image or no

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

i did a M track day in 2017 when they had the big M track days tour and i got about 8-10 laps in on an m3 and m4, some autocross runs and a heads-up drag race.

you might want to look on YT and see if anyone has posted their prior experiences? that racetrack looks GORGEOUS and would probably be pretty fun but 500 bucks might not buy you that much on-track time?

idk, 500 for track time is cheap as gently caress. I went over consumable / costs earlier in the thread and people didn't believe the numbers tho

prolly a good way to start the descent into financial ruin

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fknlo posted:

The M3 seems to be running well with the new plugs and filters. Definitely a little more turbo noise and the crackles when you lift seem a bit crispier I guess? I was a little worried I didn't get the charge pipes attached correctly on the turbo side because there was quite a bit of play there, but like I said, it seems to be fine. There's only 1 bolt there and it has a massive shoulder on it so I assume it's supposed to have some play, but it really seemed excessive.

The insurance company representing the person that hit me called and left a message. They want to proceed without filing a claim. The husband of the lady that hit me owns a lawn care business and her vehicle is covered under the company policy so I'm sure that kind of stuff adds up. I've never done anything without going through insurance after an accident and have no idea how that kind of stuff works and what kind of hassle it is if they decide they want to fight me on something. I'm personally fine with whatever as long as the car is made whole again.

Get some quotes and see if they'll write a check? I would guess is the trick is getting a good shop that stands behind their work, cause you're not getting a second payment out of them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone need an E46 sedan parts car?

I've given up on mine, help me make room in my driveway: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898303

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

Get some quotes and see if they'll write a check? I would guess is the trick is getting a good shop that stands behind their work, cause you're not getting a second payment out of them.

Yeah, that's my big hangup at the moment. Quotes on body repairs are a loose starting point and I don't want to have to go after them when I end up spending an extra thousand bucks out of pocket or whatever. I'll give them a call and see what their proposal is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

Yeah, that's my big hangup at the moment. Quotes on body repairs are a loose starting point and I don't want to have to go after them when I end up spending an extra thousand bucks out of pocket or whatever. I'll give them a call and see what their proposal is.

didn't you get a GTI popped or something with disastrous results?

Just asking because that is like a dead loving simple estimate to write, it's pretty much entirely cosmetic, and the only way you're going to get any supplement is if there's some problem with PDC. I assume you have already tested it and there is no problem with PDC.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

BlackMK4 posted:

idk, 500 for track time is cheap as gently caress. I went over consumable / costs earlier in the thread and people didn't believe the numbers tho

prolly a good way to start the descent into financial ruin

From my personal experience with track costs, triple whatever you think it costs vs what it actually costs....and even then it might be under what the final total winds up being.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

I did the M Car Control Clinic a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, the M Track Days are essentially the same content but on a track (instead of a large parking lot) and are only a half day. I would say $500 is a good price to go thrash someone else's car (and get good instruction the whole time.)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

crazzy posted:

From my personal experience with track costs, triple whatever you think it costs vs what it actually costs....and even then it might be under what the final total winds up being.

WTF are you all talking about? Cheap BYO trackdays can be had under $300 for a whole day, and consumables cost for that is... fuel. As long as you're talking about a moderately engineered sporty car.

A half-day arrive-and-drive trackday for $500 isn't a screaming bargain, but it's not awful either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i dont think it's reasonable to assume that your only costs for a track day are fuel wtf

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i dont think it's reasonable to assume that your only costs for a track day are fuel wtf

If you are tracking regularly, sure, of course, but a single-day track day as a relative novice is not going to completely destroy your tires or brakes. So you shave 500 miles off your tires' total life and 500 miles off your brake pads, that's what, 1/20th, 1/30th of their total life? Maybe you play it safe and also get an oil change after the trackday, at $180?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Prong Song posted:

If you are tracking regularly, sure, of course, but a single-day track day as a relative novice is not going to completely destroy your tires or brakes. So you shave 500 miles off your tires' total life and 500 miles off your brake pads, that's what, 1/20th, 1/30th of their total life? Maybe you play it safe and also get an oil change after the trackday, at $180?

maybe if you are dead slow and driving a slow car or are on a very tight track

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

maybe if you are dead slow and driving a slow car

Novice at a trackday? They are.

EDIT: I mean, I'm not just blowing smoke, I have done trackdays with cars of varying power levels and consumables costs for over a decade. Everything from a second-gen Miata, to a heavily modified S54 M Coupe, to a Porsche, to a Fiesta ST. The M Coupe was, by far, the most expensive and my total cost was around $1500/$1600 for a two-day event (factoring in brakes, tires, oil change + filter, hotel, fuel, and trackday insurance). Trackdays are by no means cheap but they can also be had no-so-expensively that $500 for a half-day (What, two 20-min sessions? Maybe three?) is a bargain.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 9, 2019

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

The Prong Song posted:

WTF are you all talking about? Cheap BYO trackdays can be had under $300 for a whole day, and consumables cost for that is... fuel. As long as you're talking about a moderately engineered sporty car.

A half-day arrive-and-drive trackday for $500 isn't a screaming bargain, but it's not awful either.

Consumables are way more than fuel, and i'm not aware of any engineered sporty car that really stand up to hard track use.

Tires alone run $2k a weekend for a7/r7's....

Going rate for an AER seat is $3-5k a weekend, and most teams are just breaking even at that point.

NASA/SCCA can be cheaper depending on how competitive you are trying to be, but don't bet on it.

If you're a novice, or don't drive that fast, consumables might not be terrible, but at a competitive or even not that competitive pace, everything breaks, everything wears out, costs a drat fortune....

The Prong Song posted:

Bro, OEM pads I'll get 1, MAYBE 2 laps before the pads are down to the backing plate and the fluid is boiled.

Who's paying $180 for an oil change? even redline 50wt race oil isn't that much unless you're trying to refill the dry sump hopper.

crazzy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 9, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

Mischa did an M3 taxi running costs video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLaSiXmCA94

cliffs, assuming an 8 minute lap time to get to hours
Front pads - $450 - 50-60 laps (~6.5-8hr)
Front rotors - $1600 - 80 laps (~12hr)
Rear pads - $250 - 120 laps (~16hr)
Rear rotors - $250 - 400 laps (~54hr)
Driveshaft - $3400 - 350 laps (~47hr)
Rear Hubs - $1100 - 175 laps (~23.5hr)
Tires - $1100 - 80 laps (~10.75hr)
Fluid Changes - $7/lap or $56/hr

His total for running costs per lap was $65, or about $490/hr.

Not included was a misc replacement listed at an average of $22.5k / year. Also note that gas was not mentioned.

My running costs are roughly $500/hr in a 200whp shitbox on nt01s, not including replacement poo poo like when I bin a wheel or whatever

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: ^^^^ And mine have been nothing like that until I started diving out of the realm of "casual trackday" and into the realm of "let's go racing".

crazzy posted:

...Tires alone run $2k a weekend for a7/r7's....

Going rate for an AER seat is $3-5k a weekend, and most teams are just breaking even at that point.

If you're a novice, or don't drive that fast, consumables might not be terrible, but at a competitive or even not that competitive pace, everything breaks, everything wears out, costs a drat fortune....

Bro, OEM pads I'll get 1, MAYBE 2 laps before the pads are down to the backing plate and the fluid is boiled.

Who's paying $180 for an oil change? even redline 50wt race oil isn't that much unless you're trying to refill the dry sump hopper.

Yes. A guy looking to do an arrive-and-drive half-day track event is buying Hoosiers for his vehicle as the alternative.

Yes. A guy looking to do an arrive-and-drive half-day track event is looking at a two-day weekend race series seat as the alternative.

Yes. A guy looking to do an arrive-and-drive half-day track event is going to be driving at a race-competitive pace.

Who's paying $180 for an oil change? Guys taking their BMW to the dealership, you know, the sort of guy who's wondering about doing an arrive-and-drive half-day track event.

EDIT2: $500 just isn't a screaming deal for a half-day, guys. BMW is not out there, losing money on consumables and instructors and track rental, to tempt people into buying M Cars by letting them run them on a track.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 9, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Okay, lets say he has a mild off in his shiny new street car and rips off a piece of undertray or bends a wheel.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

Okay, lets say he has a mild off in his shiny new street car and rips off a piece of undertray or bends a wheel.

I bet it's cheaper to fix on his car than what he'd be liable for if he did it in the rental M.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

The Prong Song posted:

I bet it's cheaper to fix on his car than what he'd be liable for if he did it in the rental M.

Those cars are insured with track insurance, normally its covered in the $500 fee. Check the terms and conditions.

In your own car for a non-race event, you can get lockton, normally costs the same as the event or more depending on the agreed upon value. Can be worth it if you're an aggressive driver.
DE4 guy in nasa has totaled 2 c6 z06's and gotten paid out no questions asked. Not a bad deal if you know you're that guy that's gonna need it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

crazzy posted:

Those cars are insured with track insurance, normally its covered in the $500 fee. Check the terms and conditions.

In your own car for a non-race event, you can get lockton, normally costs the same as the event or more depending on the agreed upon value. Can be worth it if you're an aggressive driver.
DE4 guy in nasa has totaled 2 c6 z06's and gotten paid out no questions asked. Not a bad deal if you know you're that guy that's gonna need it.
There's nothing on their website that says either way. I tend to err on the side of "we will charge you for this damage".

I've never paid more than $220 for a two-day event through lockton. Never paid less than $180. Again, across all the cars, from $5000 stated worth to $45K stated worth. I've also never made a claim against it.

Totaling 2 Vettes? Maybe it's time for him to get a, you know, dedicated track car with proper safety gear.

But again, we're talking about a novice considering a half-day arrive-and-drive event.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

The Prong Song posted:

There's nothing on their website that says either way. I tend to err on the side of "we will charge you for this damage".

I've never paid more than $220 for a two-day event through lockton. Never paid less than $180. Again, across all the cars, from $5000 stated worth to $45K stated worth. I've also never made a claim against it.

Totaling 2 Vettes? Maybe it's time for him to get a, you know, dedicated track car with proper safety gear.

But again, we're talking about a novice considering a half-day arrive-and-drive event.

I was always quoted ~$500/weekend, but its variable

they were pretty well prepped vettes, half cage, seats, harnesses, all that jazz. Dude was just that dude. nice guy though.

novice is fine for whatever entry level track days, but that pricing doesn't last.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Prong Song posted:

You should post the deductible cost ;)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

didn't you get a GTI popped or something with disastrous results?

Just asking because that is like a dead loving simple estimate to write, it's pretty much entirely cosmetic, and the only way you're going to get any supplement is if there's some problem with PDC. I assume you have already tested it and there is no problem with PDC.

Yeah, that was me. I was really glad I went through my insurance on that one even though I ended up eating about a grand in rental fees in the end. So I no longer trust estimates at all.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.garagemidnight.com/touching-tips-and-finding-grip-a-gm-st-track-day/

Have some daft bmw track content from donington

I’ll post more pics too if people want. Nice time

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
big Luxury Lad

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Bape Culture posted:

https://www.garagemidnight.com/touching-tips-and-finding-grip-a-gm-st-track-day/

Have some daft bmw track content from donington

I’ll post more pics too if people want. Nice time

Dat Volvo 👌

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That’s my web site op I hope you’re exited to see it

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

You should post the deductible cost ;)

10 percent of the agreed-upon value. So, depends on the vehicle I was insuring.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

Yeah, that was me. I was really glad I went through my insurance on that one even though I ended up eating about a grand in rental fees in the end. So I no longer trust estimates at all.

Go to a good shop, tell them what’s up, and tell them to write you a bulletproof estimate. Honestly I will eat my hat if you get a supplement out of that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For something like that where it was low speed and just the bumper cover got crunched, it should be pretty simple to get an estimate for. I doubt there is any hidden damage.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
How hosed am I?

So today I was helping a friend work on her 2012 F25 X3 XDrive2.8i. We were doing what I thought was simple poo poo. Oil change and rear brake pads. Well we get everything disassembled and I can't get my caliper compression tool to reset the piston (Yes I'll get to that) butit won't budge. So I've already disengaged the parking brake to remove the pads but she says let me put it in neutral. She climbs in and as I'm holding the compression tool on ther left rear caliper she engages the parking brake and the electromechanical system starts. I quickly pull the plug on the left caliper and tell her to turn everything off and step away. I get my now bent Snap On caliper tool out of there and examine the right side. There I see that the right side piston is now pushed completely free from the piston housing but luckily is not belching fluid. The deal must be holding it in because the pistonflips around freely.

I have a mechanic friend that has a shop a few doors down from my garage and ask him for advise. It's then that I discover that the car needs to be put into Service Mode to disengage the pistons. Something I should have researched beforehand, I know. So the car is currently on my lift with the starboard piston pushed completely out and the port one at rest. I told my friend that I'm going to have to do my homework and that the car will have to stay there for now and called it a night.

My friend down the way was not optimistic about my chances but said he'd help me tomorrow (not for free). He said that no matter what we're going to have to push the car to his shop, which has a proper BMW scan tool to put it in service mode. The question is whether this will return the piston to its proper position. He said that I may be able to do one of two things. First try and use a power source to hotwire the piston motor in reverse and try and pull it back in. Second is to remove the electric motor and try and rebuild the caliper. This would involve removing the caliper entirely and having to bleed the ABS system which I'd like to avoid.

So yeah. How hosed an I. Any of you Bavarian magicians got a plan of attack?

I'm phone posting. Will provide pictures later.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The “very close to production” 4 series concept was shown in Frankfurt last night. The M3 and M4 will share its front end design.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 10, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mr. Apollo posted:

The “very close to production” 4 series concept was shown in Frankfurt last night. The M3 and M4 will share its front end design.

Jesus wept.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Cool cool, happy to know that a new BMW is off the cards for a while.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Mr. Apollo posted:

This can't be real

E: first pic looks like a gerbil with a bunch of food in its cheeks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is it considered gauche if at a car show an attendee were to walk up to a display vehicle and just start peeing on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That is laughably horrendous.