Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

After a recent spell of forum updates I found myself intrigued by a certain enigmatic character. He's the dismissive little fellow that tells you when things are broken or generally lovely here on the forums, and I don't think he gets enough credit. That's right: I'm talking about the SA Support Robot.

Just where the gently caress does he get off? He must have a reason for being so aloof, right? Maybe he did some cool stuff before Lowtax gave him a job, and maybe he still does some stuff on the side for smack money and whores. Maybe all of these awesome life experiences shaped him into the cocky little brute we know today. Who's to say?

So after some research, I found out that he was in the film industry for a while back in the day:

Click here for large clipped-out robot against white background

So he apparently like the ladies, even when they're dressed in a two-piece leather space poncho. Awesomeness.

After my interest was piqued by this photo I spent some time doing more extensive research, and was able to dig up a couple more evidence photos. There has to be way more stuff in this fine robot's past, present, and future. That's where you come in: Let's investigate and explore the life of the forums Support Robot.

Here are the requisite lovely starter images:

Which came first, the stovepipe or the corresponding hat? Our little fashion trendsetter with some tall guy and a redneck:

It even seems that he may be largely responsible for the destruction of Caprica, as well as a whole new generation of TV geekery:

(bigger here)

And lastly, he creeped the hell out of thousands of children in the late 80's with this airbrushed Coney-Island-boardwalk-t-shirt-lookin' poo poo:

So there we go. I'm glad the forums work again, but I'm gonna miss my new friend. Proclaim his awesome unknown life with your pixels!

See here? I already did the hard part for you. --Big clipped robot w/ a rebuilt right hand, all up in that rear end one more time--

My apologies if this has been done before (I should've made friends with the Search Robot first).

fake edit-->No, I have no idea what the name of the movie from the original pic is.
fake edit deux-->If The Robot doesn't have a name already, we should give him one.

-UPDATE: A motion has been proposed to name the robot "Donny" in honor of Steve Buscemi's character in "The Big Lebowski" (see page 3; thanks ApeAgitator). This is due to the fact that the robot just wanders into the middle of a conversation, states his point, and derails everything. He doesn't care about the little bullshit we have going on yet he still hangs around for some reason. Please state your opinions. We have a chance to establish canon here, people.

-UPDATE UPDATE: Debate/general floor votes are now being taken for the robot's being named Donny. Make yourselves heard; democracy is a participatory sport.

-WE GOT IT. After much thought and consternation, the general consensus is that the SA Support Robot will be named Donny due to the aforementioned reasons and posts. Donny is now our own, and I hope you'll continue to help us welcome him to his new family. Keep it up!

-DONNY'S BIRTHRIGHT: Donny is now canonized in SAclopedia under "Donny (the Support Robot)" and "Support Robot (Donny)". Please add anything to the wiki that may have been left out.

-WASTE OF MONEY: I have a shiny new custom title/avatar. I specified that the money must go straight to Donny. I hope Lowtax doesn't mind.

-SHUTTIN' DONNY DOWN: Well, we had a week to help our new buddy Donny find a lifestory. I'm ending this while it's still good. It sucks knowing my next PShop thread won't go over like this one has. Thanks SA!

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Adenosine
Oct 14, 2004

Mmmmmm....How do you get them so soft? Hehehe!
The Support Robot is like Radium but more awesome because he's made of steel and robots are pretty strong.

The BSG starter is interesting, i must say.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mr. Adenosine posted:

The BSG starter is interesting, i must say.

It's actually quite excellent, more accurately. All of the images are very good.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Verviticus posted:

All of the images are very good.

Well, I had a couple hours to kill while "getting to know the robot"...
Hopefully some folks will be interested. I thought it was a fun idea.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 6, 2008

Mr. Adenosine
Oct 14, 2004

Mmmmmm....How do you get them so soft? Hehehe!
Good concept, but bad timing. I think most people are asleep.
Give it a couple of hours.

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain
I see great things for this thread, but unfortunately it's a bit early and I have to leave pretty soon. I promise some images soon.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Mr. Adenosine posted:

Good concept, but bad timing. I think most people are asleep.
Give it a couple of hours.

Not to mention that the forums were shut down for an entire day.

Brand New Dance
Apr 20, 2008

by Fragmaster
I am also intrigued by this enigmatic character.

mr.cake
Nov 8, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Brand New Dance posted:

I am also intrigued by this enigmatic character.

I think i would actually buy that to use on poker nights... someone make it quick.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
I wish I had photoshop skills, involving more than digital painting. Great job OP, I love it.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
There are times when the forum goes down, or the many many weeks we've been without search functionality that I get sad..

But then I see support robot and I know deep down, that everything is going to be OK.. :unsmith:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

HoboZero posted:

Which came first, the stovepipe or the corresponding hat? Our little fashion trendsetter with some tall guy and a redneck:

I wholeheartedly support this concept.

Hellequin posted:

I wish I had photoshop skills, involving more than digital painting. Great job OP, I love it.

https://www.gimp.org : You should give them a try anyways.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
What I want to know is if the support robot has a voice, what does it sound like when he says I should reflect on my recent numerous failures?

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

FormalComplaint
Aug 3, 2007

Oh, bama... :3:
You should upload the clean robot in a transparent .png instead.

proddo
Mar 13, 2006

A++ would club again

friend of the family Cumlord posted:

One magic wand later in Paint.NET... Quick and dirty I know, but Paint.NET doesn't have a 'feather' selection tool, so had to balance the edges out with a bit of blur. Bah.

proddo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 6, 2008

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci
From the support bot's short-lived stint fighting the paranormal.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

friend of the family Cumlord posted:

Anyone willing to do anything to this robot should have the knowledge of removing the white background, wanting anything more is just laziness.

iamstinky
Feb 4, 2004

This is not as easy as it looks.
There are things some people might be willing to do to the robot that don't involve removing ANYTHING from the back.

spidget
Apr 23, 2005

10 PRINT "R Tape loading error, 0:1"
20 GOTO 10

looking.glass.eyes posted:

From the support bot's short-lived stint fighting the paranormal.

This is absolutely fantastic... but I think it'd be that little extra bit better if he was smoking a cigar.

Brand New Dance
Apr 20, 2008

by Fragmaster

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
Unfortunately they fired Support Bot 2 weeks into filming and replaced him with Robbie, who was reportedly less rude to Leslie Nielsen.

PepperSinclaire fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 6, 2008

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci

KoopaPoopa posted:

This is absolutely fantastic... but I think it'd be that little extra bit better if he was smoking a cigar.

How's this?

USMCBrown
Jan 6, 2007
derp.
this is truly a brilliant idea, keep up the good work

also, greatly anticipating MST3K reference...

USMCBrown fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 6, 2008

spidget
Apr 23, 2005

10 PRINT "R Tape loading error, 0:1"
20 GOTO 10

How's this?

Thank you! Now that's the surly robot I've come to know over the last few forums updates...

Willfor
Oct 6, 2004

Cut Sick
Dismay!

Willfor fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 6, 2008

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

^^^ Very nice.

The Support Bot spent a bit of time in the land of academia as well. Unfortunately, he had a lot of progressive ideas on human/robot relations that attracted some negative attention.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Willfor posted:

Dismay!

Wow, his arms are even in the right place.

RichLather
Mar 5, 2003

Just your average Civil War reenacting, video editing, anime watching, badfilm loving goon.
I wish Aviary had better filters. And I wish I wasn't stuck on a PC with half a gig of RAM. And I wish I wasn't at work, so that I could do this properly. :smith:

CrakSt
Jan 1, 2007

Excuse me, do these effectively hide my thunder?

Great idea, can't wait to see what this churns out.

Maecenas
Jun 8, 2006
I POSTED IN THE FRIDAY FORUM WITHOUT AN AV SO NOW I HAVE THIS AV AND A KICKEN RAD GANGTAG
A brief stint in the film industry.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maecenas posted:

I love the touch of details at the bottom.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Maecenas posted:

Oh God. The positioning of the train makes it look like he's stroking his robo-cock.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

It should come as no surprise that SA Support Robot is metal.

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING

Sorry for the Futurama slant, but it just sort of went that way. Fragmaster reference a bit too much maybe?

Also, awesome submissions so far...

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
When not telling people to leave him the hell alone he goes to the local park with his local breakdance crew:

Due to his limited movement all he can really do is stand there doing the b-boy stance and tap his foot.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Aw hell naw. He'll never find him

BullProofMonk
Dec 8, 2004

PURPLE RAIN!!!!!!!

^^^ Very nice.

The Support Bot spent a bit of time in the land of academia as well. Unfortunately, he had a lot of progressive ideas on human/robot relations that attracted some negative attention.

While scrolling and seeing the top of this pic, I feverishly looked down to see if it was the famous "Rapist Search" pic.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

CrakSt posted:

Great idea, can't wait to see what this churns out.

this is just awesome ... I always wondered who did the robotic talking in Kraftwerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

He spends his holidays at the beach.