Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

BetterLekNextTime posted:

So anyone watching the last season of Dead to Me and expecting it to be more zany dark comedy and less a meditation on grief miiiight be disappointed. I don't want to spoil but it's really counting on the audience to be fully invested in the friendship between the two leads. For what it's worth I though the last episode worked pretty well on an emotional level even if there are a lot of ludicrous loose ends plot-wise. It almost felt like a disconnected fantasy. If the show had leaned into the surreal much in the previous 3 seasons I'd even suspect we were supposed to assume its fantasy but it's just not that kind of show. The season was kind of a challenging watch and I'm still working out how I feel about it but I didn't hate it.

I know someone who's late husband died 2 months before the show started and watched specifically for the grief stuff and she loved the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
The wife and I blasted through S1 of White Lotus over the last couple of days, and holy poo poo is that some amazing TV. One of the best written, acted, and produced shows that I've seen in a long time. Was there a S1 discussion thread? Finished it last night and now all I want to do is talk about it and see other takes on all of the craziness.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There was a TVIV thread for Season 1.

sad question
May 30, 2020

In the end I went for a cop show. I am going through Southland. Real solid, with excellent character development. It also has one of the most annoying cops in a tv show, joining the ranks of infuriating shitheads like Shane from The Shield or Herc from The Wire. I hope Dewey dies.

But the censorship is baffling. I am watching on HBO Max. Season 1 was fine. In season 2 they started bleeping "gently caress" and one episode put an honest to god mosaic over dead lady's face. One "gently caress" was uncensored for some reason. And now season 3 has no bleeps again. Just weird.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Finished Wednesday the other night and was surprised to find it... good? I was expecting it to be just entertaining à la Sabrina or Riverdale, but it managed to be significantly less schlocky. Jenna Ortega made a great Wednesday Addams and the writing was pretty snappy throughout. A couple episodes did have a glaringly unearned tie ups to the threads of a couple supporting characters, feeling like a few key scenes to complete their arcs had been left on the cutting room floor, but nothing too egregious.

Some of the writing hinted at message of stopping a cycle of violence and retribution that maintained the division between outcasts and normies, which unfortunately didn't get much follow up. It'd be neat if they do explore it in another season, but I suspect they'll fall to the temptation of dialing up the schlock.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

sad question posted:

Can someone recommend a good medical show? Stuff I watched:
Scrubs - Has ups and downs and some jokes aged like milk but generally very good.
Code Black - Really liked it but D+ has only one season in my country. Luis Guzman owns.
The Resident - Terrible, idiot's idea of what hospitals are like.
House - I recall liking it back in the day but formula got old quick.
The Kingdom

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't know how old you are but there's always M*A*S*H. It's a bit uneven quality episode to episode and holy wow the misogyny is kind of insane at times from a 21st century perspective but it's a classic.

M*A*S*H nails a lot of the medical feel, in the same way that the best episodes of Scrubs capture the feel of medical training.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

The Kingdom

Legit answer

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Rewatched the first two seasons of Atlanta before watching the final two. A really super well written show with great characters. My main gripe, and I'm guessing one of the reasons why they ended it, is that they were getting to the point where the main storyline was basically secondary to the standalone and single character side story episodes. I'm guessing that Donald Glover wanted a bigger sandbox to play in. Either way....really good show. But don't be expecting much with closure or anything.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Rewatched the first two seasons of Atlanta before watching the final two. A really super well written show with great characters. My main gripe, and I'm guessing one of the reasons why they ended it, is that they were getting to the point where the main storyline was basically secondary to the standalone and single character side story episodes. I'm guessing that Donald Glover wanted a bigger sandbox to play in. Either way....really good show. But don't be expecting much with closure or anything.

The first, second, and fourth seasons are Donald Glover's masterpieces. The third can be skipped entirely.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I’ve been rewatching Girls for the first time since college and I’m astonished at how good it is.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I can't really watch shows in which I dislike the main character like in Girls. Same goes for Vikings. Ragnar is such a lousy selfobsessed oval office which make me lose the will to watch the entire show untill the end, eventhough it's an overall good show

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

emo-ignorance posted:

I’ve been rewatching Girls for the first time since college and I’m astonished at how good it is.

I never watched the entire thing because most of the characters wore me down. But it brought about an absolutely brilliant SNL sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njs7TFQ0b2s&t=2s

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Its like David Lynch meets Monty Python. Its perfect.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sad question posted:

In the end I went for a cop show. I am going through Southland. Real solid, with excellent character development. It also has one of the most annoying cops in a tv show, joining the ranks of infuriating shitheads like Shane from The Shield or Herc from The Wire. I hope Dewey dies.

Before I finished reading this sentence I knew which annoying cop you were referring to.

quote:

But the censorship is baffling. I am watching on HBO Max. Season 1 was fine. In season 2 they started bleeping "gently caress" and one episode put an honest to god mosaic over dead lady's face. One "gently caress" was uncensored for some reason. And now season 3 has no bleeps again. Just weird.

Southland was originally on network TV (NBC, then they canceled it after Season 2, then TBS picked it up for the remaining seasons). That may explain some of the weird censoring.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Finished Wednesday the other night and was surprised to find it... good? I was expecting it to be just entertaining à la Sabrina or Riverdale, but it managed to be significantly less schlocky. Jenna Ortega made a great Wednesday Addams and the writing was pretty snappy throughout. A couple episodes did have a glaringly unearned tie ups to the threads of a couple supporting characters, feeling like a few key scenes to complete their arcs had been left on the cutting room floor, but nothing too egregious.

Some of the writing hinted at message of stopping a cycle of violence and retribution that maintained the division between outcasts and normies, which unfortunately didn't get much follow up. It'd be neat if they do explore it in another season, but I suspect they'll fall to the temptation of dialing up the schlock.

I finished it last night. I liked it but probably not quite as much as first season Sabrina. Part of it might just be I just didn't always connect to Wednesday as a protagonist (the actress did a great job). I get that her schtick is she puts up her armor to push everyone away with all her quips but sometimes it was a bit much. Also Nevermore Academy felt a little phoned in (did we really need the dumb boat race thing I probably have some other nitpicks but overall it was pretty good. The monster was well done and most of the supporting cast were great (I liked the roommate and the bee kid, and the townie kid/sherrif's son did a good job I thought). Thing stole every scene it was in.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Jim Henson's The Storyteller. Lots of good actors, and very creative designs even if the visual effects are dated. The stories aren't ones that are common in American media. Worth checking out. The whole series is on archive.org

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

h3r0n posted:

Its like David Lynch meets Monty Python. Its perfect.

We're on season two and it really is an amazing show. The appearance of a certain vehicle in one episode was one of the greatest call back/sight gags I've ever seen, I laughed so loving hard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

Jim Henson's The Storyteller. Lots of good actors, and very creative designs even if the visual effects are dated. The stories aren't ones that are common in American media. Worth checking out. The whole series is on archive.org

Oh man, I love the visuals. The puppets are the entire point of the thing.

Do they have the second series as well, the Greek one? So cool.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh man, I love the visuals. The puppets are the entire point of the thing.

Do they have the second series as well, the Greek one? So cool.

It is also there, and very good! Wouldn't be Jim Henson without cool puppets.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
At some point recently HBO added From the Earth to the Moon to HBOMax. It's a solid miniseries that was released shortly after Apollo 13 and has a ton of well known faces. Definitely recommend any space fans to give it a watch.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Andor and Atlanta. I've watched a bunch of other things but compared to those, it's all loving trash.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Meatgrinder posted:

Andor and Atlanta. I've watched a bunch of other things but compared to those, it's all loving trash.

Andor is as good as people say?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Random Hero posted:

Andor is as good as people say?

Best thing to come out of the franchise to date.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’d still be great if it wasn’t Star Wars.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Meatgrinder posted:

Add another "A" show: Abbott Elementary

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Andor has great performances, a good story, and the production designer from Chernobyl who went absolutely nuts building and dressing sets so everything looks real. Even if you don't do Star Wars, it's still an excellent show about fascism is bad and you should watch it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Does it matter if I haven't watched Kenobi or The Mandalorian to watch Andor? I literally know almost nothing about the various tv series. I have seen the movies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tsyni posted:

Does it matter if I haven't watched Kenobi or The Mandalorian to watch Andor? I literally know almost nothing about the various tv series. I have seen the movies.

Nope, completely standalone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tony Gilroy, the creator of the show, has said in interviews that he doesn't give a gently caress about Star Wars as a franchise. It's part of what makes the show so accessible.

First couple episodes are meh but it ramps up quickly from there.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I like Star Wars just enough to watch their live action shows, mostly because Mandalorian season one was so drat good. Boba Fett and Kenobi were both trash so I wasn't even gonna bother with Andor until people kept talking about how good it was. I didn't much care for Rogue One.

Andor is the best media in the entire franchise. I wasn't sure about it until the big action setpiece of episode 3 but holy poo poo. It's basically just 4 movies about fascism and retroactively makes the entire franchise better by upping the gravitas of everything happening.

Edit: I've been rewatching the Avatar shows. Just finished Airbender. One of the best shows ever produced. I have no idea how it ever came about, especially on Nickelodeon. It rides the line of episodic and serial storytelling perfectly. A cohesive narrative from start to finish that comes together at the end beautifully.

Started Korra up again, which is gorgeous with maybe the best animation of any American show ever. Too bad it's bogged down by the characters, who are just neither as fun nor as compelling as anyone in the original show. Excited to get to season 3 when the stories go from "good" to "fantastic" though.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 1, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i bet the people who are extra vocal about not liking Andor are extra okay with the real world fascism the US is plunging into

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't like that Disney made it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Andor is pretty good and certainly the best SW show but it’s nowhere near Atlanta, or many of the other best shows of the year like Saul, Severance, Rehearsal, etc. People like to ascribe a lot of depth to it that isn’t really there (or suggest it goes full-tilt into exploring themes it actually only barely scratches the surface of) because they’re so used to SW stuff being dumb as hell that one being actually reasonably thoughtful has them losing their poo poo. There’s a lot of good side characters but Andor himself is still basically a nothing character and Gilroy can claim that’s intentional all he wants but he’s still the protagonist and titular character of the show and that’s still a huge huge issue

You should still watch it though

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I watched the first three episodes of Andor and it’s OK. But compared to everything related to Star Wars since 1984 it may as well be Casablanca.

I may finish out the series, but I kinda wanna binge through Willow this weekend instead.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Back to more cool new things:

Pantheon (AMC+) - US anime. It’s so good. A stacked voice cast. A bonkers premise. Absolutely one of the best new shows this year. Season 1 is only 8 episodes and will not waste your time. Go in blind, you won’t be disappointed.

Another 8 episode season 2 is already in the hopper too.

Edit: if you must have a synopsis: a tense thriller where nothing is as it first appears. Really nails a feeling of paranoia and dread.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 2, 2022

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I enjoyed Andor and Wednesday. I watched all eight episodes of the latter in less than 24 hours.

Last night I made a mistake and watched the first episode of Willow. That was some serious horseshit - D-list garbage that looks like it was filmed at the local Renaissance Fair. The dialogue is painful.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Klaaz posted:

I can't really watch shows in which I dislike the main character like in Girls. Same goes for Vikings. Ragnar is such a lousy selfobsessed oval office which make me lose the will to watch the entire show untill the end, eventhough it's an overall good show

it took me multiple attempts to get into breaking bad because everyone seemed so lovely with no redeeming features

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Klaaz posted:

Ragnar was pretty fun, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Robobot posted:

I watched the first three episodes of Andor and it’s OK. But compared to everything related to Star Wars since 1984 it may as well be Casablanca.

I may finish out the series, but I kinda wanna binge through Willow this weekend instead.

For what it's worth, I was also a bit ambivalent on Andor for the first few episodes. But I stuck with it and I thought it improved dramatically from an already decent start around episodes 5-6 and onward. It's not just the best SW thing in a long while, it's also a genuinely good show on its own merits without having to grade on a curve.