Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I’m a complete noob regarding Korean media (haven’t even watched more than 1 ep of Squid Game) but I somehow got onto Glitch on Netflix and I’m maybe half-way through. If the twist is what I think it is that she’s crazy and the new friend is just her alter ego/personality brought on by her childhood trauma and substance abuse , it’s not going to be surprising but it’s got a lot of funny parts and I’ll keep watching.

Finished this... it was quirky but not weird enough to be really interesting. My mid-season guess wasn't correct but I think it would have been a better show if I had been right. Certainly would have explained the bizarre supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love Deadwood's writing but I have to admit that even to this day, after countless viewings, I still watch it with the subtitles enabled. I've seen its dialogue described as "King Jamesian" and I feel like that's pretty accurate.

I always thought it was Elizabethan english, but they'd throw in swear words in places where their vocabulary was lacking. Cocksucker

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

shadok posted:

I just blitzed through all three seasons of "Deadwood" - found seasons 1 and 2 cheap just randomly browsing through a DVD store, and then I had to go and order season 3 from Amazon with next-day delivery so I could have it all. What a tragedy that there won't be any more.

I have had the season 1 box set of "Heroes" on my shelf for like a year and still haven't watched so much as the first episode yet. SOME DAY!

What about Deadwood: The Movie (2019)?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I binged through the first season of Chucky and am now starting on the second and it is just, really, really good and goes in directions I never expected.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

from what I can see there's no "identify that movie/tv show" thread here in TVIV so I'm gonna drop thsi here:

looking for an old (B&W) UK tv show but for the life of me I can't remember anything other than it was a drama and dealing with a company where the MC (an antihero, maybe even villain, kind of guy) worked and which he was trying to either take over or place himself as high as possible

edit: the plane makers and the power game

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 13, 2022

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone watched the English yet? Apparently critics like it.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I am watching Only murders in the building and finding it quite delightful. Although Steve Martin looks a bit weird to me. Maybe because I haven't seen him in anything in a while.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Terrible taste in food and questionable dental work; I wouldn't bother.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Doktor Avalanche posted:

from what I can see there's no "identify that movie/tv show" thread here in TVIV so I'm gonna drop thsi here:

looking for an old (B&W) UK tv show but for the life of me I can't remember anything other than it was a drama and dealing with a company where the MC (an antihero, maybe even villain, kind of guy) worked and which he was trying to either take over or place himself as high as possible

edit: the plane makers and the power game

This also sounds like Profit, a late '90s U.S. show.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Finally working my way through Venture Bros. in the background while I play Minecraft. Hoping to finish before that movie comes out. Really stellar comedic voice (plus some stellar comedic voice ACTING, love P-Warb)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mutantIke posted:

Finally working my way through Venture Bros. in the background while I play Minecraft. Hoping to finish before that movie comes out. Really stellar comedic voice (plus some stellar comedic voice ACTING, love P-Warb)

it just gets better and better as you move down the seasons. wish they could've had one more to wrap it up.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

uber_stoat posted:

it just gets better and better as you move down the seasons. wish they could've had one more to wrap it up.

I think that's what the money movie is for.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I'm digging it. Episode 4 was brutally well-done. Rafe Spall is amazing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I have two episodes left and I am enjoying it. The first two episodes were a bit slow but it really picks up from there. Also it's not a show you can have on in the background at all, it will demand your entire attention.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I have two episodes left and I am enjoying it. The first two episodes were a bit slow but it really picks up from there. Also it's not a show you can have on in the background at all, it will demand your entire attention.

Yeah, maybe we're just getting old, but we've had to pause it a few times to figure out what was being said/implied and how some of the different characters connected.

Episode 4 spoiler question: Did the accountant/thug guy rape Cornelia? It seemed kind of implied but this also doesn't seem like the show that would be too subtle on that front

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Big McHuge posted:

Yeah, maybe we're just getting old, but we've had to pause it a few times to figure out what was being said/implied and how some of the different characters connected.

Episode 4 spoiler question: Did the accountant/thug guy rape Cornelia? It seemed kind of implied but this also doesn't seem like the show that would be too subtle on that front

Same. I think the plots are purposefully obfuscated a bit on purpose. I had trouble piecing a couple things together as well. And to answer your question, I think the answer is yes. The show makes the viewer suspect that the English noble is the father and killer of her son, but it seems like the "thug" may be both, which is an interesting twist

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Same. I think the plots are purposefully obfuscated a bit on purpose. I had trouble piecing a couple things together as well. And to answer your question, I think the answer is yes. The show makes the viewer suspect that the English noble is the father and killer of her son, but it seems like the "thug" may be both, which is an interesting twist

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is what is going on. In an earlier episode, when Cornelia is talking to the hotel owner they both talk about how the guy she's looking for has a ledger

Lamont fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 14, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Finished the series last night and it had a strong third act. Won't spoil anything but I think the romance between Cornelia and Eli was extremely poignant. The way the show handled the depiction of grief set against the backdrop of the ugliness/brutality of the American West seems like it would come off as tired and hokey but it didn't land that way for me. The two leads put in great work and while Blunt has always been good, this may be her best.

I'm a sucker for tragic westerns though. I enjoyed the hell out of 1883.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Can someone recommend a good medical show? Stuff I watched:
Scrubs - Has ups and downs and some jokes aged like milk but generally very good.
Code Black - Really liked it but D+ has only one season in my country. Luis Guzman owns.
The Resident - Terrible, idiot's idea of what hospitals are like.
House - I recall liking it back in the day but formula got old quick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

sad question posted:

Scrubs - Has ups and downs and some jokes aged like milk but generally very good.
Code Black - Really liked it but D+ has only one season in my country. Luis Guzman owns.

Childrens Hospital. It's a parody of medical dramas like Grey's Anatomy and ER, but it's incredibly creative, silly, often experimental, and always hilarious. Most of your favorite comedy people will show up in it. It's the best TV comedy that hardly anyone has seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also probably the best Brazilian show ever made

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

sad question posted:

The Knick

Escobarbarian posted:

Also probably the best Brazilian show ever made

Children Hospital? I’m brazilian and never heard of it

sad question
May 30, 2020

The Knick is very good. I forgot it since I thought of it as historical show first.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Children Hospital? I’m brazilian and never heard of it

That’s interesting considering that it’s set in Brazil and Brazil is where everything on the show is happening

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s interesting considering that it’s set in Brazil and Brazil is where everything on the show is happening

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1325113/
This one? Is the only one I found with that name and it doesn't look Brazilian

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1325113/
This one? Is the only one I found with that name and it doesn't look Brazilian

It's an American production, but it is a running gag that the show is set in a childrens' hospital called Childrens Hospital in Sao Paulo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's an American production, but it is a running gag that the show is set in a childrens' hospital called Childrens Hospital in Sao Paulo.

Ah, weird

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sad question posted:

Green Wing. British comedy, has the likes of Tamsin greig and Steve mangan in it. Very funny.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

It's got very surreal comedy, that's supposed to be a gag

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

And it''s not called "Childrens Hospital" because it's a children's hospital, but because it's named after someone with the last name, "Childrens."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
But yes, it's also a Children's Hospital.

Worth checking out the sequel series as well, Medical Police, which is more of the same but taking the piss out spy dramas. It has basically the same cast though.

Red Oktober posted:

Green Wing. British comedy, has the likes of Tamsin greig and Steve mangan in it. Very funny.

So good. You ever seen Campus? It's basically the same show, but in a university.

sad question posted:

Medical dramas aren't really my thing, but I know New Amsterdam has a but of a following, and No Angels is a decent British drama about nurses, I think it's all on vimeo. The UK also has about a billionty seasons of Call The Midwife, which is almost definitely your show.

Oh, and AMC did This Is Going To Hurt, a drama about a maternity ward that aired earlier this year.

Also seconding The Knick.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sad question posted:

I don't know how old you are but there's always M*A*S*H. It's a bit uneven quality episode to episode and holy wow the misogyny is kind of insane at times from a 21st century perspective but it's a classic.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think I've hit my limit on Avenue 5. I love me some absurdist humor, but I haven't really laughed much at all this second season.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

sad question posted:

As others have mentioned.....'The Knick'. Incredible show that doubles as an historical drama. One of the best shows ever created, imo. Only two seasons...running on Cinemax back in 2014-2015. But the creators have written for a third season and it sounds like Steven Soderbergh has real interest. I'd guess that another season or two could happen at some point in the near future.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Some of Hugh Laurie’s deadpan jokes really get me. I’ve enjoyed it much more than I expected.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've really enjoyed the last two episodes in particular.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binged the whole of The Crown recently. Surprised there's not a thread here. As someone not interested in the royal family at all I absolutely loved it. It's so impressive that they have managed to pull off a consistent narrative taking place over 70 years, with three actors playing each character who are all great, all look like the real people, and also all look like and embody the actors who came before.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

Binged the whole of The Crown recently. Surprised there's not a thread here. As someone not interested in the royal family at all I absolutely loved it. It's so impressive that they have managed to pull off a consistent narrative taking place over 70 years, with three actors playing each character who are all great, all look like the real people, and also all look like and embody the actors who came before.

We are maybe 2 episodes from the end. Somehow Phillip is the most sympathetic royal this season which just seems wrong.

I watched the new season of Warrior Nun. It was ok but not great. This season felt like kind of a mess and I stopped caring about any of the characters. Somehow they struck the worst balance in the otherworldly elements to not really explain anything but also not leave a captivating mystery. On the plus side there's a lot more action this time -- that was one of my complaints of the first season.

Also, I somehow got started on Mr. Midnight, a live action YA show made in Singapore that's kind of a cross between Goosebumps/Scooby Doo and Stranger Things. Some of the kid actors are pretty terrible but the monsters of the week are actually fun so far. I'm not sure this is a recommendation but there you go.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We are maybe 2 episodes from the end. Somehow Phillip is the most sympathetic royal this season which just seems wrong.

I feel like Phillip definitely got the most generous portrayal across the board compared to his real self.

Did you have to stop and check Prince Charles break dancing was real too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60XvRbJ_qZo

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

I watched this season on and off with my wife, who is engrossed with the show, and our conclusion is that Charles has either financed or has dirt on the producers or something because at least in this season they make him look like a handsome, misunderstood genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So anyone watching the last season of Dead to Me and expecting it to be more zany dark comedy and less a meditation on grief miiiight be disappointed. I don't want to spoil but it's really counting on the audience to be fully invested in the friendship between the two leads. For what it's worth I though the last episode worked pretty well on an emotional level even if there are a lot of ludicrous loose ends plot-wise. It almost felt like a disconnected fantasy. If the show had leaned into the surreal much in the previous 3 seasons I'd even suspect we were supposed to assume its fantasy but it's just not that kind of show. The season was kind of a challenging watch and I'm still working out how I feel about it but I didn't hate it.