Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Watched the first episode of Spartacus last night and was pretty unimpressed. I can see from the AV Club reviews that it apparently gets better after a few episodes, but do they cut out the Zack Snyder every-battle-is-a-video-game-cutscene bullshit? That gets old really fast. Immediately, in fact.

You owe it to yourself to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
All right, I'll give it a little bit longer.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it has a lot in common thematically with Breaking Bad, and living in LA I really appreciated what they did with the setting and references to actual history and events (look up the Rampart scandal). It's not as cerebral as The Wire and much more action-oriented, but I think it absolutely belongs in the same tier of awesome television as those other two shows.

Yeah, The Shield was more of a fast paced action series with amazing characters and a great story arc while The Wire was more of a visual novel about everything from the drug war to capitalism itself.

It's really difficult and almost unfair to compare the two.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I can't give it a 10/10 for a few reasons, one being how ridiculous the filler plots were where every bad guy eventually admits to the crime.

Yeah, but that was just a byproduct of the fleeting influence that safe network TV had before shows started to get better quality-wise. The character development absolutely made this show and that's why it still holds up.

It's absolutely a shame they couldn't remaster the footage from this to HD because of the equipment they used.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 2, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trig Discipline posted:

If you don't have a none sexual boner by the end of episode 4. stop watching it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

It'll never stop being cheesy but it gets better, you'll fall for it

if you don't then :shrug: guess you don't like fun

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I came around on Spartacus in the end, but I thought The Thing in the Pit was one of the worst eps. Season 1 overall I thought was the worst season. I enjoyed the prequel season a lot more, mainly because it didn't feature Spartacus himself who I found to be boring and Mary-Sueish. Not having him around gave them more time to flesh out the secondary characters who seemed to exist solely to antagonise Spartacus for no apparent reason in S1 (eg Crixus) and more Batiatus was good as he was the highlight of S1 for me. The blood effects got a bit better/toned down too I think. I get the comic-book feel thing, but having a character get hit in the back with a big axe or hammer or something and buckets of blood explode all over the screen only for them to get up a couple of seconds later and be totally okay was taking it a bit too far. For all the show's flaws I found myself getting attached to some of the characters, and by the end is was totally rooting for the good guys and hoping (ancient history spoilers) for the show to go fully ahistorical and have the slaves win/escape Rome.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 4, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I agree with most of that but do you really think they had no reason to antagonise Spartacus?

new kid on the block, acting like a shithead, making the other Gladiators look bad, Gaul attitudes vs Thracians etc

also the Gladiator House is basically a frat house and the new guys are pledges

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah okay I'll give you that

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rocksicles posted:

sexual boner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-uuM9jlJU

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Some of the Spartacus fights are getting a little eye rolling though as the show goes on. Just started up season 3, where he (mild spoilers) rides his horse into a phalanx of guards and takes out about 30 of them single handedly. We get it, he's a badass.

General plot and intrigue is top notch though.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I can't give it a 10/10 for a few reasons, one being how ridiculous the filler plots were where every bad guy eventually admits to the crime. CSI is bad cause the defense attorney just stays quiet. In the Shield defense attorneys don't even exist.

Are there really any shows where criminal defense attorneys are the heroes?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I can't give it a 10/10 for a few reasons, one being how ridiculous the filler plots were where every bad guy eventually admits to the crime. CSI is bad cause the defense attorney just stays quiet. In the Shield defense attorneys don't even exist.

The police don't want them to ask for an attorney. Read Homicide life on the killing street to get an understanding of it. In the Shield they will occasionally ask for defense attorneys but often they get steamrolled.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

showbiz_liz posted:

Veronica mars, kind of.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

showbiz_liz posted:

Harvey Birdman, of course.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

First series of Better Call Saul maybe?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

showbiz_liz posted:

Rumpole always worked for the defence (with one exception), and Cleaver Greene (in Rake) is generally a defence lawyer (with the joke being his clients are always guilty).

E: Both shows are worth watching too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 5, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

showbiz_liz posted:

Daredevil?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The latest series I have been binging through is The Thick of It. It is subtle, brilliant. Sometimes too many episodes in a row make me feel sad through cumulative Malcolm Tucker.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how The Thick of It will be in 10 years time. I think New Labour is still fresh enough in most viewer's memories that the commentary about spin or whatever remains applicable, but as funny as the series is, I wonder if it won't mean as much to new audiences coming into it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

showbiz_liz posted:

Matlock?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Perry Mason.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how The Thick of It will be in 10 years time. I think New Labour is still fresh enough in most viewer's memories that the commentary about spin or whatever remains applicable, but as funny as the series is, I wonder if it won't mean as much to new audiences coming into it.
See I am clueless about British politics re: 2005 but still find it enjoyable as heck. I don't think a single reference point is needed. How do you find PC in DW?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lampsacus posted:

See I am clueless about British politics re: 2005 but still find it enjoyable as heck. I don't think a single reference point is needed. How do you find PC in DW?

I think he's really good in it, but I suppose I'm inclined to enjoy Doctor Who anyway. I've started identifying him as the Doctor to the extent that rewatching TToI is now kinda weird.

Anyway... The Thick of It has the best summary of a movie of any series ever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it'll hold up okay. Yes, Minister still works, even removed from the context of the late Cold War and Thatcher.

I've been rewatching The Hollowmen, an Australian political comedy from ~2008. It's strange seeing some things that are still broadly applicable, and others which are very specifically dated to just pre-GFC (with talks of massive budget surpluses). It's not dissimilar to The Thick of It, but lacks the baroque swearing and has a much lighter tone.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm on the last episode of Hell on Wheels season 1, started it last weekend. Really enjoying it, a bit heavy-handed in a few places but nothing deal-breaking and it's getting more entertaining as the season is coming to a close. Does it keep it up?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm on the last episode of Hell on Wheels season 1, started it last weekend. Really enjoying it, a bit heavy-handed in a few places but nothing deal-breaking and it's getting more entertaining as the season is coming to a close. Does it keep it up?

What do you prefer, the revenge story or the "building the railroad" story?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Trust your heart and watch it for the real hero: The Swede.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was a good mix of both, but (finished S1 spoiler) I don't see the revenge story going any further based on the ending. It wouldn't break my heart, but I hope that character sticks around and I know he does based on being plastered all over everything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

Rake (preferably the original Australian one)

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been binging through Fringe. I'm into season 5, the final season, and they should have stopped at the end of season 4; leaving questions unanswered would have been better than the answers they are giving. The show has jumped the shark so many times it's ridiculous but, the characters are really lovable and easy to like so it's made the show watchable. Eccentric Walter and Autistic Astrid were the best. Anna Torv's smirking smile has started to wear on me. The writing has fluctuated between brilliant and just weird. Overall, I've enjoyed it but I'm not even through the final season and I already wish they would have ended at season 4.

edit: I'm wondering if J.J. Abrams had to pay the Wachowski Brothers for blatantly ripping them off?

radical meme fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 10, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Garrows Law for something a bit more period. I mean, he does prosecute some people, but they tend to be literal slave traders and so on who kind of deserve it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radical meme posted:

edit: I'm wondering if J.J. Abrams had to pay the Wachowski Brothers for blatantly ripping them off?

For what?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

GobiasIndustries posted:

There are a few weak spots but in general I think it keeps getting better. A new season just started and I'm really liking it so far.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Been watching Workaholics. Pretty hilarious show that I really hadn't heard much about before. A friend of mine got me watching it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The entire season 5.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Does it count as binging if you can binge it all in 2 hours?

Cross posting from the streaming thread:

Anyone with Amazon Prime streaming should watch Catastrophe. It's only six 20 minute episodes and it's fall off the couch hilarious.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Working through NCIS since I have a sweet tooth for procedurals.

I don't know if it's just the show getting old or because the creator got kicked off Roddenberry style, but it's a lot less "oohrah get the terrorists" than it was in earlier seasons. I mean don't get me wrong, it's still there, but there's about even odds these days on the Navy guy they investigate being the bad guy after all and there's like three times as many plots that are about PMCs or government contractors than Muslim terrorists.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Does it count as binging if you can binge it all in 2 hours?

Cross posting from the streaming thread:

Anyone with Amazon Prime streaming should watch Catastrophe. It's only six 20 minute episodes and it's fall off the couch hilarious.

I'll check that out. Thanks!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Scrapez posted:

I'll check that out. Thanks!

I watched the first three or four of these last night, and it was good. The leads are age appropriate for each other, and the guy isn't the stereotypical "women suck" type character that I was expecting from the description. The supporting roles are all great as well (besides Purposely Obnoxious Guy, anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Still binging through the Shield. Glenn Close was decent during season 4 but it was kind of a down year in quality. Season 5 automatically rebounds and Forrest Whitaker is a loving titan of an actor playing Kavanaugh. His presence definitely forces the rest of the cast to up their game and it's probably the one of the shows better seasons.

People should watch this show.