Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Just got thru Black Orphan. Better than I was expecting, a bit wheel spinny at times, weirdly graphically violent occasionally. All in all a good show enjoyed. Sucha bummer the gal went form like a career performance of a half dozen characters to fuckin shehulk.

Tatiana Maslany rules and I would love to see her in another drama series, hopefully one where she doesn't have to play every character. I actually liked She-Hulk, but YMMV.

Currently watching A Murder At The End of the World from the divisive Brit Marling ("The OA", "Sound of my Voice", "Another Earth" - you love her or you hate her there seems to be no in-between). Starring Emma Corrin, who went from playing Princess Di on "The Crown" to this weird mess of a locked room murder mystery mixed with high society scheming (Agatha Christie in the present kind of thing). The Icelandic setting and layered story help sell it, I love the visual style which reminds me of Alex Garland's "Ex Machina" and some parts of "Devs" and a great cast including Clive Owen as a mysterious billionaire who is hosting this group of "important people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Tatiana Maslany rules and I would love to see her in another drama series, hopefully one where she doesn't have to play every character. I actually liked She-Hulk, but YMMV.

Currently watching A Murder At The End of the World from the divisive Brit Marling ("The OA", "Sound of my Voice", "Another Earth" - you love her or you hate her there seems to be no in-between). Starring Emma Corrin, who went from playing Princess Di on "The Crown" to this weird mess of a locked room murder mystery mixed with high society scheming (Agatha Christie in the present kind of thing). The Icelandic setting and layered story help sell it, I love the visual style which reminds me of Alex Garland's "Ex Machina" and some parts of "Devs" and a great cast including Clive Owen as a mysterious billionaire who is hosting this group of "important people."

I among the ones who love her

This one is not her best work but is still quite good, I enjoyed it a lot

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Halfway through season 3 of Mako Mermaids, and the series is going off the rails in ways that could be amazing but continue to suffer from poor writing decisions. First, there has been progressively more power creep. In the original series, each mermaid had one (1) distinct water-based power and the ability to swim fast. Now they all have access to the same powers that include invisibility, full telekinesis, duplication of objects, weather control, turning people into cats (and vice versa), potion crafting, oops-we're-siblings-based telepathy, miniaturization, talking to dolphins, etc. Sadly, they still refuse to use any of these powers in a way that would accomplish anything, instead just causing new screwups that need to be fixed. Don't use your abilities to rock the boat, kids, just work hard to maintain the status quo in the face of impending obliteration. So inspiring! The mermaids also continue going rogue on each other because a guy who has repeatedly double-crossed them insists he's trustworthy. This is becoming an exponential problem as they add more people to their inner circle of secrets, which they are increasingly careless about.

The island itself has also experienced lore creep that is becoming progressively more apocalyptic, starting as just an island that happens to have an enchanted pool that can turn people into mermaids, but now is a weapon made by mermen to wipe out the mermaids during The War that has portals to elemental planes, and the pool water itself is enchanted even when removed from the pool, like holy water but moonified. The show has so far sidestepped how a gender based war of extermination happens when mermen and mermaids are apparently the same species. The show establishes that there have been many generations since the two were forbidden contact with each other, but there are mer-children including a brother/sister pair. Now that I think of it, the entire mermaid council seems to only have one function: controlling who gets to associate with whom. But they're also really bad at it, so maybe it's an open secret that they all sneak off to procreate.

In summary, it's a confused mess that I'm going to continue watching.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Hijack or Everyone Is An Idiot. Not sure if this is meant to be set in the Line Of Duty Cinematic Universe but it sure feels like it.

This flood of well made, well acted but terribly written British contemporary thrillers is getting on my nerves. There is a certain freedom in writing and building tension in this, literally anything could happen as everyone is a moron and acts in ways no sane person could predict.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

We're working our way through Hannibal for the first time and are now on to the second season. The first season was pretty patchy but it's developing into a great show. Aside from the whole eating people thing, Hannibal really is just the perfect man.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CeeJee posted:

Hijack or Everyone Is An Idiot.

my mind turned off in the first episode when there was a >1 minute argument about whether one could say the word 'bullet' on a plane.

enjoyed it, but it was super dumb.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Binged Guy Ritchie's new series, The Gentlemen on Netflix.

I haven't seen a Guy Ritchie movie since Snatch, but I am told by fans of his that he had a slump and that this series is a return to form. I thought it was entertaining enough! Full of stereotypes though. But that seems somewhat standard.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
With 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' coming to an end next Sunday.....I've started a rewatch from the beginning. All time great sitcom.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RestingB1tchFace posted:

With 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' coming to an end next Sunday.....I've started a rewatch from the beginning. All time great sitcom.

It is incredible! I've been into it for just the past couple years, currently on season 9. What a run.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

My wife and I started binging Curb in December -- the first time either of us had ever seen it -- and we caught up in time for the third episode of this final season. It was an intense three months when were knocking out over a season a week.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Shrimpy posted:

Meanwhile The Brothers Sun was great.

Yeah, just watched the first episode. It's good.

Just finished the Korean language A Shop for Killers and that's drat fine and brutal too. Just 8 episodes.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Greg Daniels, somehow, snuck in 2 seasons of an alien abduction comedy on TBS without anyone telling me. It's called People of Earth and the big stars are Wyatt Cenac from the Daily Show, the best friend from "Her", Cadys mom from the original "Mean Girls", the "what if Google was a person" guy and Da'vine Joy Randolph who is now an Oscar winner. It came and went 6 years ago and it's a hoot. Nice breezy comedy with H Jon Benjamin showing up a few times.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That was a fun show.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ripley on Netflix is absolutely beautiful. The black and white cinematography is amazing, but it gets extra plussed up by being set in Italy so there's so much amazing architecture to take advantage of for shot composition. And the black and white lets them really highlight where the audience's eye will go.

I don't know if the obsession with Caravaggio was part of the original book but it really helped to highlight the visual splendor.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Just finished 3 Body Problem. Started off strong and a bit less so once we knew what all the mysteries were. It was fine, I guess.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

cryptoclastic posted:

Just finished 3 Body Problem. Started off strong and a bit less so once we knew what all the mysteries were. It was fine, I guess.

I wish they'd been able to go into a little more depth regarding some things -- the portion in the book about the sophon creation was great, but they couldn't do it in the show without showing the aliens themselves, so I get it. While I wasn't a huge fan of some of the show's main characters, it makes a lot of sense to split one character in the book into several people. What was internal dialog or exposition in the book could be discussed among a few people instead.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

tetrapyloctomy posted:

While I wasn't a huge fan of some of the show's main characters, it makes a lot of sense to split one character in the book into several people.
Auggie, the nanotechnology director, played by Eiza Gonzalez, was the worst character -- bar none.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Armauk posted:

Auggie, the nanotechnology director, played by Eiza Gonzalez, was the worst character -- bar none.

To be fair, her version in the first book also sucked. Just a sort of smart blank slate with no real ambition who just goes away at some point.
Honestly, that writer is bad at making characters.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Armauk posted:

I agree but I was really confused why I felt that. Whether it was due to miscasting or just the way they wrote her.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I don't know if I disliked her or Jack more, they were both pretty bad.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Conners is...ok. It's very much Roseanne just without Roseanne, and everyone is 30 years older and has kids. The writing and acting are good, but the parade of shittiness gets old. The entire premise is pretty bleak too. Everyone is still living paycheck to paycheck, and there isn't much hope of anything getting better, and they know it. It gets played for laughs, but it's really horrifying when it's revealed that the grandmother has been hoarding money for decades in secret because she wanted to give everyone a big inheritance when she dies. I'm pretty sure that's a form of domestic abuse. Also I totally didn't realize there was a new season of the Roseanne show the year before this started. I found that out just now, lol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching the new Liane Moriarty adaptation, Peacock's Apples Never Fall (abominable title made worse by the opening credits which emphasise the word "fall" like it's some sort of Eden metaphor which, nah). It's solid and nicely constructed, like a lot of Peacock shows, and I find it fairly compelling all up.

That said, Allison Brie is weirdly miscast as a hippy. She's clearly put a lot (A LOT) of thought into her character and her performances, all these little gestures and movements and it comes across as so effortful that the character ends up projecting intense Type A energy. Also a lot of her mannerisms really remind me of Kristen Wiig.

I like seeing Brie stretch herself like this, but it doesn't feel like she was very relaxed in her performance.

Edit: it's the kind of role Patricia Clarkson would have killed back in her thirties.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 12, 2024

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if u need something to binge watch continuum

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

if u need something to binge watch continuum

:yeah:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hell yeah Continuum rocks

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

isaboo posted:

Hell yeah Continuum rocks

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It ain't no 12 Monkeys though

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Ripley on Netflix is absolutely beautiful. The black and white cinematography is amazing, but it gets extra plussed up by being set in Italy so there's so much amazing architecture to take advantage of for shot composition. And the black and white lets them really highlight where the audience's eye will go.

I don't know if the obsession with Caravaggio was part of the original book but it really helped to highlight the visual splendor.

We just finished this and loved it. The cinematography is gorgeous and so evocative, you could almost omit the dialog and get the gist of what's going on from the tone and symbolism in the shots alone. Very Hitchcockian. Andrew Scott just kills it (heh). I like the way the show wrapped up, but it's kind of an open ended finale. I could imagine some people being frustrated with this but I think it's perfect for the show that focuses on the main character who just comes and goes in these identities and for every ending there's a new beginning somewhere.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've been needing comedy in my evenings and found a couple that I missed on their initial runs. Another Period was good raunchy fun, with especially standout work by Riki Lindhome (Beatrice) and Michael Ian Black (Peepers).

Currently working on season 2 of the Mick and really enjoyed the first, cynical with just the right amount of sweetness. I'm really appreciating Kaitlin Olson doing a more grounded version of Dee Reynolds, and as with Lindhome her physical comedy gets me every time.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Binged all of Fallout this weekend on Amazon Prime. Great show. One of the best video game adaptions ever made I think, slightly below Arcane.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Remy Marathe posted:

I've been needing comedy in my evenings and found a couple that I missed on their initial runs. Another Period was good raunchy fun, with especially standout work by Riki Lindhome (Beatrice) and Michael Ian Black (Peepers).

Yeah this owns.

Which Hortense best Hortense?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I have struggled with that question, and as much as I like Lauren Ash I think Hortense #2 best Hortense.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ccs posted:

Binged all of Fallout this weekend on Amazon Prime. Great show. One of the best video game adaptions ever made I think, slightly below Arcane.

I’m two episodes in and just love Goggins as a ghoul bounty hunter bad guy. A role he was born to play.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Binged Fallout. It was fine. Goggins was really good in it.

Also binged Baby Reindeer on netflix which was great. It's a dramatization (?) with a decent bit of comedy, of an apparently true story. A British comedian in his mid 20s gets stalked by an older woman. I found it incredibly intriguing and well made. Got a few decent laughs out of me too. Though it does go very serious with heavy subjects like sexual abuse, so be warned.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kevin Bacon posted:

Also binged Baby Reindeer on netflix which was great.

Oh yeah, this was loving awesome television.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Also watching Baby Reindeer right now. Randomly clicked on the first episode and was hooked.

edit: episode 4 was a trip. gently caress.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 14, 2024

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks I just added baby reindeer to the list. When I'm done with Fallout and 3body I'll click this one.

I just got done catching up with From. I loved it and I say that as someone that got really tired of Lost's bullshit. I've been thinking why the difference in reaction? I think it's because this time I had read about this show in any number of threads here being an intolerable mystery box show that raises question after question and never gives out any answers.

So I went in ok with that. My reward for choosing to have that attitude was one of the best viewing experiences I've had in a long time. Therefore I highly recommend From, with the caveats presented here.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Kevin Bacon posted:

Binged Fallout. It was fine. Goggins was really good in it.

This is pretty much the perfect summary. As a fan of the games there were a few things I wanted to see, so not having them was a bit of a letdown. But Goggins redeemed it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

TURTLE SLUT posted:

Also watching Baby Reindeer right now. Randomly clicked on the first episode and was hooked.

edit: episode 4 was a trip. gently caress.

loving hell episode 4. That was very uncomfortable.

My wife and I have been watching this two episodes at a time because it's just a bit intense for more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The second season of the new Heartbreak High is out, but because it's been two years since the last installment and since I remember really liking it I'm rewatching the first season.

I forgot they did a parody of this video. Iconic.