Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

I've been DVR'ing all the repeats of Everybody Loves Raymond, Yes Dear, King of Queens and Just Shoot Me since I never got into any of them when they were on.

So far, I like Yes Dear and Just Shoot Me the most, and Raymond has a great supporting cast but Ray Romano kinda sucks.

A lot of people don't like Everybody Loves Raymond, but Peter Boyle is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I've been watching season 1 of Dexter. I just saw the episode "Seeing Red". The scene at the end was... terrifying.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I watched the first two seasons of Dexter. I thought the first season was brilliant, but I was kind of disappointed by the second season. I'm not sure if I should continue watching or not. Does season 3 get better or worse?

After that, I watched the first two seasons of Weeds. That was such a crazy cliffhanger at the end, I'm going crazy trying to get a hold of season 3.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

In a similar vein as my last question about Dexter season 3, is Weeds worth watching after Season 3? What I've read about it certain characters leaving, the setting changing doesn't sound good...

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Competition posted:

The main problem was that it got cancelled with some very open questions that should have been resolved at the proper end of the show

God drat huge spoilers: Aaron getting off, Veronica and Logan not being together, and it was obvious that they were setting up some long arc for the next series involving Jake Kane and that secret society. Possibly her mother coming back but I feel they could have left that as it was.

What was left hanging about that first thing? (He's talking about Veronica Mars, in case it was unclear)

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Leviathan posted:

You make it sound like there's only a couple plot points here and there that are unexplained. From Adam and Eve until now they've been creating mythology that's conveniently passed over- what's the point of getting interested in the mythology when it's probably (based on the number of unanswered questions) just going to get completely ignored? Anyway, don't get me wrong...I like Lost enough that I've binged through the entire series twice, but we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on whether its unanswered questions/cliffhangers detract from its appeal.

Also, can you guys tell me some of your favorite 90's shows?

Adam and Eve is a bad example because the writers have said over and over that Adam and Eve will only be answered at the very end of the series. Anyway, I looked over that list you posted, and half of it is stupid poo poo that no one would ever care about, stuff that would spawn a million "Stranger in a Strange Land" type episodes.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I just finished the first season of Mad Men. I like this show a lot, but I can't really say that I get it. Don's speech at the end, his pitch for the slide projector (I don't think that's a spoiler, but I'll do it just in case), was amazing though, they really knocked that one out of the park.

Vivek fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 13, 2009

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Leviathan posted:

I think a good part of what makes it awesome is that there are so many scenes where there's nothing to 'get' because, for lack of a better phrase, the show just happens.

It reminds me of The Wire, which is described as a "visual novel" partly due to the way it doesn't explain what's going on to you. Both shows feel like they're written to a much higher standard than anything else on TV.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

sos posted:

I just watched the first season of The Wire in about 3 days and absolutely loved it. I've just started on season 2 though and it's not doing much for me. I'm 3 episodes in and the whole Polish infighting and corrupt union angle isn't really doing much for me. Does it get better as the season goes on? Was season 1 the high water mark for this show?

So season 2 is the hardest season to appreciate, because it's very different from all the others. It's not until the second time around do most people appreciate how good it is. That being said, even if you don't enjoy it, seasons 3 and 4 will turn it around for you in that they take they story back to the streets in a big way. Most people say season 4 is the best, with season 3 being a close second.

edit: Okay, looks like I said pretty much the same thing as the guy before me. Seriously, though, I know The Wire gets hyped up a lot around here, but it's the one show that, for me anyway, absolutely blew away even my highest expectations for it.

Vivek fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 13, 2009

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Jedi posted:

Fine - Cheers and Frasier then. All I'm saying is that unlike most the people here, I can look past a laugh track. The way most of the people in this forum talk about a laugh track, you'd think a Hollywood sound editor raped their grandmother's corpse while fingerbanging their mother at the funeral. I don't think it adds anything either, but I hardly think it detracts.

Seriously, there are a ton of good shows that have laugh tracks. It's just a different style, really.

mostlikelyme posted:

To the best of my knowledge, Curb Your Enthusiasm was the real influence here, starting in 1999 with the fake documentary, improv heavy no laughtrack comedy style that seems to be emulated in many, many comedies since (Office, 30 Rock, Always Sunny..., etc). It is also the best.

The Office is the only one of those shows that is a fake documentary (and very loosely, I might add).

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

The Duke posted:

(especially the hideous, balding co-worker and his crappy sidekick)

Jeff and Lester are the best.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

It is a very good show, but it certainly has it's flaws - ridiculous characters such as Omar and Brother Mouzone, some really awkward implementation of themes and dialogue on occasion (the Chess scene with D early in season 1 springs to mind) as well as season 5 in general.

I think one of The Wire's biggest flaws is a huge lack of female characters. I think David Simon himself said that even the women he writes are men.

Nonetheless, it's the best show ever.

edit: I looked to see if anyone else thought the same thing, and I found this article that sums it up rather nicely (Spoilers, of course): http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/women-and-the-wire/.

Vivek fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 2, 2009

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I remember I started watching the first episode of BSG, and it was like "Previously on Battlestar Galactica..." and I had the biggest "WTF" moment. For a second I thought I might have to watch the 70s version first.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Jedi posted:

There's a mini-series. While not really important, it does kinda set up everything.

Yeah, I know that now, I've seen it all except The Plan and the webisodes.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah I don't think it's called "Homocide".

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

chrix posted:

I know I'm a little behind, but I just finished Season 2 of Lost and while I'm glad they answered quite a few questions, I can't imagine where they'll take the series. From what I can tell without reading spoilers, the next 2 seasons drag out a bit. Please tell me I'm wrong and that it's worth catching the next seasons.

Season 3 did drag a bit, but no more than season 2, and it was really only noticable if you were watching it live. The end of season 3 is kind of the big turning point for the plot, if you don't know what happens you really don't want it spoiled for you. After that it starts moving pretty fast.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Fox_Spy posted:

If there's anything else you all think I should look into, please say so. I just don't have time to properly binge on shows. So much easier before I got a full time job.

You should watch Lost.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Johnny B. Goode posted:

So you guys said that overall people didn't like season 2? And someone said at one point JJ Abrams figured out what he was going to do with the rest of the series (and decided on six seasons). When did he figure this out?

You should know, JJ Abrams helped come up with the concept but he hasn't really been involved with the show since season 1 (I think he co-wrote one episode in season 3).

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Jack is the man, he's completely unhinged and also the Master of Faces.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Dark Weasel posted:

Ah, Weeds. The first season is so great. Just great TV it is. Season 2 is great, too- but be warned, this show takes the sharpest nosedive in quality I've ever seen in my life almost as soon as season 3 begins. By the time Season 4 rolls around the show is almost unrecognizable.

So yeah. Enjoy the first two seasons! I've actually been watching them again and they're just fantastic.

tIt's kind of fascinating how that happened, it's like Heroes in that regard. Season 3 isn't all bad, though, it has the hilarious scene where U-Turn does a drive-by as a passenger in Nancy's car.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

What part of "We have to go back!" didn't you understand?

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

It does, it's called "Anyone watching Modern Family" or something like that, but it doesn't get much traffic.

edit: Actually it's not called that anymore: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3205725

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

4 episodes left of Lost S5. In the entire history of the show, has there ever been a good Kate episode? Because the latest one was pretty insufferable (in other words, business as usual).

The one where Kate and Juliet mudwrestled while handcuffed together was okay.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

Well, I went from the pilot to the current episode of LOST in about 8 days.

Thats... amazing.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

tomm posted:

Been debating whether to start watching The Wire (I've only ever seen the pilot somehow) as it's always raved about and such. Not quite sure how I've waited this long, but I'm just not sure if it'll do it for me.

What makes you think you won't like it?

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I watched season 1 of Sons of Anarchy this past week. It was amazing, and quickly became one of my new favorite shows. I hope season 2 is as good.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

So my brother and I were breezing through Lost season 3, when we came upon the Nikki and Paulo episode... holy poo poo. Horrible characters, horrible storyline, needlessly brutal last scene. I seem to be going against the grain of a lot of Lost fans - I was told the episode 'Flashes Before Your Eyes' was great, and thought it was a bit rubbish (mainly the way the conceit was handled - acting and writing once we'd established Desmond was back in time was great, but it felt stupid). I was told the beginning of season 3 is terrible, but I enjoyed it. And I was told by a bunch of people that season 3 is when the show really kicks into gear, and that seasons 1 and 2 aren't that great - hasn't matched season 1 yet, and it was really getting ponderous in the middle of season 3 for a moment. It just picked back up, now that Juliet is at the camp.

The last 4 episodes of season 3 are amazing. The season 3 finale is the best episode of the series in my opinion.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Kekekela posted:

After seeing the Jericho love in this thread, I was going to add it to my Netflix queue and realized I had given it a 2 star rating. I vaguely remember watching the first couple of episodes and not being very impressed, does it hit its stride later or is this a case where if you don't like the first couple of episodes you're probably just not going to enjoy the series?

I liked the first few episodes but a lot of people didn't. Later on there starts being more conspiracy and alternate history stuff that is pretty cool. The American Revolution parallels in season 2 were my favorite part of the show.

Out of all the shows created to compete with Lost, I think Jericho did the best job of recreating the same feel. The main characters are all stranded together, and there's a central mystery that drives the story but isn't necessarily the narrative focus at first. Both of those things cause the story to rely on the characters rather than the plot. Unfortunately, Jericho's characters weren't as memorable.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Adrianics posted:

Just to keep the Veronica Mars talk going: I just finished Rat Saw God (season two), and since I'm still watching the horribly butchered syndicated version they didn't show me what 'interrogation technique' Clarence Wiedman used on Abigail Koontz's boyfriend, anyone remember?

He dangles him out a window

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I think people were, as you say, mainly excited by the potential the show had. It was always cheesy and the acting was always uneven at best, but everyone was holding their breath for it to become awesome. Then it didn't.

I completely disagree, I thought Heroes was awesome first season. It definitely did have a lot more potential than it used, but it only had that potential because the early stories were so good.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I watched all of Firefly and thought it was great (no surprise there from everything I heard about it).

I figured I would watch Dollhouse afterwards because it was also by Joss Whedon, but wasn't really expecting much due to the mixed reviews it got. I was actually hooked by the second episode, and I just burned through the rest of season 1. I'm probably going to take a break to process everything that happened in the last episode, but can anyone tell me if the end of season 2 (and the series) is a huge cliffhanger? This show got extremely ambitious all of a sudden, and it would be really disappointing to not see it completed, but it also seems like it would be extremely difficult to wrap it up.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I'm watching Friday Night Lights (season 1). It's pretty awesome so far. Does it maintain the same quality throughout the series?

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

I just went through 4 seasons of 30 Rock on Netflix and I've enjoyed almost every single episode of it. I want to see season 5, but unfortunately Hulu wants you to pay for it. I'm also interested in Parks and Recreation, but I've heard that the first season is pretty lousy. Should I skip the first season and hop into the second or just try and power through season one as quickly as possible?

Skip it if you want, there's nothing you need to know or anything. If you do, I can guarantee that once you get to the end you'll go back and watch them, and like them fine enough.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I just started season 3 of Friday Night Lights (two episodes in), and I'm not too happy. Where the gently caress is Jason Street!?.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

qbert posted:

Well if you're going to criticize Veronica Mars for being too juvenile while giving Glee a pass, then...okay. Perhaps True Blood would be more in your "adult" wheelhouse?

I was pretty confused by this myself.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

qntm posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a highly watchable show. It just feels like pieces being put into place, in preparation for the real conflict to rear its head and the real show to actually start.

Book 3 (season 3 and 4 if the show gets there) is where all the cool stuff happens.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I started watching The Shield (on season 1). Julian is the biggest :smith: ever.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

how!! posted:

I recently downloaded a bunch of episodes of LOST. I watched the first season and enjoyed it. I'm about a quarter way through the second season and kind of gave up. Does the show get any better, or should I just stop now?

I thought season 2 was interesting at the very beginning (the hatch stuff) and at the very end, but less so much in the middle. Season 3 was largely boring, except for the last four episodes, which are fantastic. Season 4 and 5 are very good. And if you make it that far, you might as well watch season 6.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I started watching Little Mosque on the Prairie on Hulu the other day, it's pretty funny. I'm guessing you could never have a show like this in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Worst theme music for any good show ever. The Shield slowly gets better and better. Each season is better than the last. If you get bored, skip to season 5. That season is pretty amazing and you won't really be lost.

I've only seen season 1 of The Shield, but the funniest moment was when that one woman gives an epic rant to Dutch about how no one is doing anything about the violence in the ghetto, and it's pretty moving, and then it just cuts to "DA DA DA DA DA YEAAAAAAAAAAH!"