Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just started Ted Lasso and it's pretty great! Good mix of sappiness and tongue in cheek humor. I like it!

Make sure to make the appropriate snacks to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_yBqWHtWMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we've really enjoyed Made For Love too. Haven't watched the last few, but we'll finish it tonight.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Finally got around to giving Devs a try. I've been putting it off for the longest time because I worried it would just be wanking about tech culture. Fortunately that wasn't at all the case, instead it was just a really good sci-fi story. Particular props to Nick Offerman for turning in a great performance.

I've been thinking about rewatching Devs, actually. First because I really enjoyed it and second because I just learned that Lyndon is in fact a 24 year old woman and not a 13 year old boy. Not even joking, I watched the whole season and did not realize.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raspberry Bang posted:

Just watched the first season of Everything’s Gonna Be Okay. It’s a really down to earth comedy on Freeform about a 20 something guy becoming the guardian of his two high school age half sisters. The main character can be a little annoying at first but after a couple of episodes he really shines.

I saw a trailer for this, and it didn't really pique my interest. However, the lead character/writer is Josh from Please Like Me, which is fantastic. If you decide you like him and want to see more, that's the series that basically made his career.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Wrapping up season 1 of For All Mankind and very much enjoying it. It helps I’m a sucker for space drama / alt histories but this is a good one.

We really enjoyed season 1 but season 2 is even better. It’s a slow build but...dang.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Finished Shadow and Bone. Mildly engaging but largely forgettable so I don't see it having much shelf life.

Agreed on all counts.

In other news we’re watching Invincible now and it’s quite good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it the general thread opinion that The Magicians is good? My little sister is pushing me to watch it and I wanna know whether I should really watch it or just put it on in the background while I'm working so I can pretend.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good to hear, thanks!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Huh, I may just have to give it a second try. I bailed on the very first episode cause I just ended up loathing the protagonist on instinct somehow. :v:

We watched episode 1 last night and it was just the clumsiest possible infodump of "here are the bits we stole from Harry Potter, over here are the bits we stole from Narnia, and if you'll look over here you'll see Fifty Shades of Grey". Like I've heard enough good opinions of it that we're going to give it a full chance but that first episode was decidedly not promising.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cryptoclastic posted:

Gonna go ahead and third Ted Lasso for you.

Fourthing, it's so good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mythic Quest started back up last night and the first two episodes are really good. Charlotte Nicdao is just so drat fun to watch.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fartington Butts posted:

Edit: This side episode with Jake Johnson and Cristin Milioti is real good.

Oh man I love that episode. It's so self-contained that at first it's unclear why that story is even being told but the leads are so incredibly charming that it's hard to care.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We're about halfway through season 1 of The Magicians now and it sucks noticeably less. Still not fully convinced by it, but it's definitely improved.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HOLY gently caress posted:

I’m where you are in the show as well and it definitely feels like it’s slowly getting better. I basically had to force myself to watch the first few episodes, didn’t like any of the characters, and couldn’t get into it. That’s changing though! I’ve finally started to not hate Quentin and I’m going to stick with it this time! Hopefully! :unsmith:

Yeah early Quentin reminded me way too much of this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ka2nkIi2I

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended Ted Lasso as a light-hearted, mostly drama-free show. It's funny and nice and just generally a pleasure to watch.

My wife and I don't mind dark shows sometimes, but we need a nightly "settle down" show that we can watch while our hyper-anxious dog falls asleep. That's not the best time for either of us to watch The Americans or Breaking Bad. (Or The Magicians, which was giving my wife nightmares after watching it too late at night.)

So far we've gone through the entire run of the Great British Baking Show, Taskmaster, and now most of Ted Lasso. I think we might do Mythic Quest next.

Does anyone have suggestions for similarly lighthearted shows that aren't obnoxiously cloying? In a couple more weeks we're going to need something new to watch.

As UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST just mentioned, Atlanta is absolutely fantastic. It's just a very unique show which sort of drifts from a very grounded sort of deadpan humor into completely unexpected bits of surrealism. I'd watch just about anything with Donald Glover, Lakeith Stanfield, or Zazie Beetz in it and Atlanta has all three. It's also really cemented Hiro Murai in my mind as a director to follow, and his work on Barry only reinforces that.

Have you seen Please Like Me? It's got some dramatic moments but is mostly very light-hearted and sweet, and is one of those great shows where even characters who start off as unlikeable eventually become quite sympathetic. If I had to sum up its worldview succinctly, it's something like "everyone's trying to be a good person, but some people aren't as good at it as others".

Of course if you like Taskmaster you also have just a never-ending fountain of other British panel shows to choose from, which all essentially have the same rotating cast of a few dozen comedians. The Big Fat Quiz, Eight Out Of Ten Cats, Eight Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown, QI, Richard Osman's House of Games, etc. I mostly knew all of those people from Taskmaster until I got stuck in quarantine for most of three months and started watching the other shows. It's a lot of fun going "Oh it's Aisling Bea! And Russell Howard! And Alex Horne!" It's just the same crowd over and over but they're all so fun that it's always worth watching. There's also a never-ending set of Taskmaster spinoffs. The American version wasn't great, but the new NZ version and the Norwegian one were both pretty good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I checked out the UK TV megathread but the landscape is so broad, and none of the panel shows I've sampled quite reached the heights of Taskmaster.

Yeah it's my favorite of all of them by a substantial margin.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

We watched and loved Atlanta when it first aired, and I hate that there may never be any more. It has so much potential left.

According to Wikipedia, seasons 3 and 4 are filming right now!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just finished the season 1 finale of The Magicians and :stonk:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We're nearing the end of season 3 of The Magicians and it continues to be a lot of fun. I'm a bit exhausted with every character being constantly angry, though. It's a bit one-note. Kady is the worst offender, but most of the rest of them aren't far behind. There was a point in season 1 where Mayakovsky refers to one of them as "sultry but damaged" and my reaction was like "ffs that's literally all of you", and twenty-odd episodes later that's still true. Eliot and Margo are the only ones who've really developed as characters much, which is probably why they're my favorite part of the show right now. Anyway, still a super fun watch and we're devouring it at a sprint, I just wish some of these characters would evolve more, or at least be more different from each other.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh nice, I love Spalding Gray!

I’ve never seen anything by Spalding Gray

I haven't seen Swimming to Cambodia or Monster in a Box for a while but I remember them as being really good.

Man maybe I should watch those again. I wonder how they've aged.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 31, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll spoiler this because I know there are other people in here currently watching it.

We're nearing the end of season 4 of The Magicians, still enjoying it. The musical episode really toed the line between being too goofy and just goofy enough, but in the end I felt like it stayed just the right side of it.

One episode that I felt was a little subpar was Penny's promotion episode. The show has been very good about having a diverse cast where women have strong, important roles (albeit almost all with the "sulky" personality trait turned up to 11), and that's loving awesome. Having a whole episode that mainly seems to exist to point out that they're doing a good job on this front to the audience seems both unnecessary and more than a little self-congratulatory. It just seemed heavy-handed and like they didn't fully trust the audience to notice something that's been completely apparent for the entire series. That said, it was still a fun episode.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On that note, though, my wife pointed out something really interesting to me last night. The sort of wisecracking, cynical, eminently practical rogue character doing their best to hide a heart of gold is somewhat common in fiction (Sawyer from Lost, Han Solo, etc.), but it's very rare to see a woman in that sort of role. Margo is very much that sort of character and it really, really works.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I remember when that episode aired live it seemed like it was addressed, specifically, to a big portion of the internet that was complaining about it week to week. I enjoyed it at the time for the retort of "Yes, that's what we're doing. gently caress you."

Oooooooh in that context it makes a lot more sense.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Season 4, episode 7, "The Side Effect".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finished season 4 of The Magicians last night. Oof.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'm assuming the oof was because of the emotional gut punch.

Yeah, absolutely.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The reason for that episode, (spoilers for end of season four): I think they were trying to establish that the show could go on without Quentin, and that he wasn't the main protagonist before he died. I disagree with that, because he is the character that links most of the cast together, and was usually the one driving the main plot forward. That episode made me suspect they were going to kill him off.

Oooh that's an interesting take on it.

We actually finished The Magicians last night. All in all a really fun, ridiculous ride. Very self-aware in its own absurdity while not exactly making fun of itself, more "this is a ridiculous premise and we're just going to wallow in that" than "haha wizards, how dumb". It is a mark of how batshit the show was that I was confused as to why the hell Q had the page about the world seed in his drawer, since it didn't seem like his sort of deal at all. In the last or second-to-last episode when it turns out Santa put the paper in the drawer I went "oooooh that makes so much more sense" and then immediately went "how ridiculous is this show that 'Santa did it' is actually the most logical explanation?"

In the end I felt like the show did a super mixed job of character development, with some characters that were initially very one-note or stuck in the background becoming very complex and engaging over the series run (Margo, Josh, Elliot, Fen), while others that were right in the core group never felt like they evolved particularly beyond where they were when the show started (Kady, Quentin, Alice).

I also had mixed feelings about the musical episodes. They were silly and harmless, but I didn't really get into them. In particular having the second to last episode be a musical episode seemed like a questionable call; you've got five seasons worth of mythology and plot lines to knit together, and I'm listening to the cast do their impression of Pentatonix singing a Ramones song while doing West Side Story dance-fighting. I think I would have just laughed at the absurdity of it earlier in the season but at that point I was just thinking "do we really have time for this?".

Anyway, minor complaints aside it was a ton of fun. I wish there were more of it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just in time to catch up with the zeitgeist of twenty-odd years ago we've finally started watching Buffy. Three eps in and it's silly as hell and the effects are terrible but it's fun.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Les Revenants is people coming back from the dead, it's in french. But not zombies, just back alive

Yeah I really liked that one. In The Flesh is also an interesting take on the zombie genre, basically the idea is that there was a zombie outbreak but they got a vaccine and were able to turn the zombies back into people, more or less. Sorta exploring how you manage to live with neighbors who you watched eat your child or spouse last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omNou34OC-w

Not foreign language, but not American anyway.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Does it come off as a political allegory? I sure read your description like the zombies are taking off their MAGA hats.

There's definitely an element of allegory there but if anything I felt like it was about Europe post-WWII. Honestly you could stretch it to match almost any time any country does something absolutely appalling and then has to live with themselves/their neighbors afterwards.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

currently half-way through the first season of The Americans and really like it so far

It's so good, I kinda want to watch it again sometime soon.

We're almost through season 1 of Buffy, and it's corny as gently caress but it's fun. We're also starting Halt and Catch Fire, and are about three episodes in. We watched this first season when it first came out and really liked it, but just didn't stick with it when later seasons came out.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

'For All Mankind' is something that I haven't watched....but I'm not sure why. Seems like it would be right up my alley. Plus....and I didn't know this until right now....but Michael Dormer from 'Patriot' is one of the leads.

For All Mankind is really, really good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked Devs a lot, and also just finished rewatching it recently. This scene in particular just fucks me up completely (linked for spoilers)

This may be kinda weird but the thing that initially made me want to rewatch it was realizing that I somehow made it entirely through the first viewing without realizing that Lyndon was in fact a woman in her twenties, not a teenage boy. Maybe other people saw that immediately but I 100% did not notice.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just finished season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire. It continues to be great, but man every one of the main characters who isn't Donna or Bosworth is a loving nightmare.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

AV Club from 2011-15 was so great and now it’s just so so terrible

Yeah there's still a bit of decent stuff there but holy crap the average quality level has plummeted.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We're halfway through S4 of Halt and Catch Fire now and it's basically

S1: This Joe guy is amazing, wait no maybe he sucks
S2: Yeah no he definitely sucks but so does Cameron
S3: Everyone but Donna and Bos sucks
S4: Actually Donna and Bos suck too

It's a very good show

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finished Halt and Catch Fire. What a great show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Retrowave Joe posted:

Phoneposting in a meeting but earlier in the thread I posted a link to an alternate ending on YouTube to check out. It doesn’t change the plot, just replaces the final track with the song the creators wanted but couldnt afford.

Oh neat, thanks!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whenever He-Man's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's He-Man?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

The weird dream sequence seasons in archer aren't great

Yeah they seem to have forgotten that it was supposed to be funny.