Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
How To Make It in America. Watched the entire two seasons (which admittedly are short and the episodes are only half-hours) almost back to back because I became addicted, which hasn't happened to me in a while, not since Breaking Bad I think. What surprised me is how much heart it has, it's thoughtful and even kind of adorable. The secret ingredient is Lake Bell, she does for this show what Jeremy Piven did for Entourage. Without her it would still be enjoyable, but she elevates it to the next level with a beguiling mix of quirk and grace. For what would seem to be a show intended for a male-skewing audience, it's impressive how the writers give her storylines and character development the same amount and level of consideration as the other main two (one being the boys and the other being the uncle). Three main plotlines with characters that are in their own way all trying to figure out not just how to make it, but also why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

screenwritersblues posted:

Honestly, Lake Bell is the main reason why a lot of people hate the show and I also agree with this. She's very bland and her character isn't very likable, at times, it seems like she has no clue what's going on.

That's what makes her so real. I completely agree with this article about her.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

kaworu posted:

What pains me is just how much I loved Rubicon - I would have watched THAT show for as long as they cared to produce it, but nooooo, AMC decided that Walking Dead and The Killing would be better investments :rolleyes:
Well, from a business standpoint they obviously were much better investments. Only like five people on Earth watched Rubicon (you, me, and some of the actors' moms), whereas TWD and TK did pretty well in the ratings.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Steerpike posted:

Looking for a new show to binge through. Anything not on my list below that seems like it should be? Particularly, any good science fiction/fantasy from Canada/UK/Australia/New Zealand that I might not have heard of in the U.S.?
Camelot.

As for non-genre shows, the most glaring omissions from your list would be The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and South Park. I also think you'd really enjoy The Comeback, Episodes, Happy Endings and Up All Night given the other comedies you listed as favorites.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Lord Dekks posted:

Can anyone give a quick recommendation of any other quite light/silly procedurals? Ideally with some bad one liners/wisecracks, and never take themselves too seriously?

Pushing Daisies.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

putt putt posted:

Dexter

After years of several friends and family members recommending it I finally gave in. Just started the last episode of season 5. I love everything about it but I had a really hard time sympathizing with Dexter during the first season.

Kind of have a girl-crush on Jennifer Lawrence.

We all have a crush on her, but she doesn't star in Dexter but in movies like X-Men and The Hunger Games. I think you mean Jennifer Carpenter (who is also lovely).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Went through all of Homeland, Veep, and Boardwalk Empire in the past few weeks. Now I don't know what to watch.. maybe I'll finally check out Supernatural.
If you liked Veep, check out the British original version of the show, The Thick of It. It's brilliant. It also has a movie, In The Loop.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Where can I see these?
http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC023BCE5134243987

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Seconding Revenge. It is exactly what you are looking for, Lord Dekks.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

CaptainHollywood posted:

I don't think the series officially "starts" until Better Call Saul.
That's utter nonsense, it was stellar from the very start and is one of the very few shows that, fully 5 seasons in, has yet to have a single bad episode.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Can anyone recommend me some more shows like Archer and Black Dynamite? That genre is just extremely amusing to me.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The only thing that comes close to Archer for me is The Venture Bros.. Imagine an update of the cheesy Jonny Quest cartoon of the '60s, featuring a boy adventurer grown up into an angry, depressed loser of a scientist, his two naive but well-intentioned sons, and their gruff, violent bodyguard, getting into all kinds of adventures, plus their supervillain arch-enemies.

There's so much more to it than that, though. The show's creators, Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer, created an even richer and more complex mythology than Archer and filled it with jokes, callbacks, obscure references, and pop culture homages ('60s Marvel Comics, glam rock and New Wave music, Scooby Doo, the Adam West Batman show, G.I. Joe, and so much more more). Plus, unlike Archer, there's actually a lot of heart. The soundtrack by industrial music pioneer J.G. Thirlwell kicks rear end, too.

Best of all, they are coming out with the long-awaited fifth season in May, so you have plenty of time to get caught up through Netflix.
That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Going to binge through it as soon as I finish my current show. Thanks!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

qbert posted:

Apparently Season 1 sucks and Season 2 somehow became brilliant.
Season 1 is stellar and season 2 is transcendent. It's just degrees of brilliance.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Boosh! posted:

Last week, while in bed because of a herniated disc, I binged through Utopia, Dark Mirror and Sherlock and absolutely loved every second of it. Any other recommendations? I tried Dr. Who but I wasn't feeling it.
Misfits is essential.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

cool kids inc. posted:

I think part of it has to do with the fact that I'm not a very sitcomy person, but I'm struggling with keeping interest in anything currently drama-y on air. Even stuff I usually can't miss I'm just kinda meh on. Anyone have any suggestions for shows that don't take themselves too seriously, but are still quality? Some of my favorites include Whedon shows, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, Misfits, Doctor Who, Sherlock, and the first season of Once Upon a Time. I've been considering an X-Files rewatch since I haven't seen it since it originally aired and I was very young for a lot of it.
You might enjoy American Horror Story. The first season kind of silly (in a good way) and more of a guilty pleasure, while the second season is unapologetically good and occasionally even brilliant. Both seasons are standalone and have no connection to each other beyond sharing some of the same actors and production/writing staff, so you could even start with the second season and then go back to the first if you like it enough.

Also check out Teen Wolf, it is a cross between Buffy and The Vampire Diaries and almost just as good as either of those shows.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Hollis posted:

So the British shows I should watch are Black Mirror, Misfits, anything else ? I've watched Sherlock.

Utopia is pretty mindblowing.

Also The Thick Of It if you like comedies.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Not as bad as what happens to her in Deadwood. :gonk:
I still have nightmares from that.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Hollis posted:

I want to thank whoever recommended the British TV series Utopia. Holy poo poo is this show awesome and everyone should watch it. It's not a long time commitment it's 6 hours. I just finished my binge today. Not sure what I am going to get into next but I'm looking at British TV. I've seen the major stuff, Who, Thick of it, Martin?.
That was me, and you're welcome. Now you should dive into Misfits, it's the best genre show Britain has to offer.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

I'm looking for more political dramas, I've already done West Wing and outside House of Cards I can't really think of many that really grab my attention.
Boss is the best show in the genre.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

joebuddah posted:

The wife and I just plowed through Roswell. I watched it on and off while it was on and am surprised how well the show holds up. Take "My so called life" for example I loved it while it was on but now its unbearable.
Oh, that is good to hear. I was thinking of doing a re-watch sometime soon (watched all of it when it first aired and loved it, but haven't watched it again since), so I'm glad it holds up well.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I've started the second season of Game of Thrones. I don't think it's a popular opinion but I think the show's a little overrated. It's not bad but it's not the greatest piece of television ever made.

If you want that you should be watching Boardwalk Empire instead.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I've been trying to get into Arrested Development again, currently early-mid season 2. I just feel like I don't get it. :smith:
(It's the number one show people compare to Community, which I loved - but I don't get the comparison either.)

I don't really get that either, they aren't very alike. Community and Go On, however, are basically twins.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

It's the first time I've seen non-British people playing British people on a TV show.

You've never seen Buffy? Spike and Wesley already perfected that art form over a decade ago.

DarkCrawler posted:

Oh man, thank Jesus. I started watching this and think the serial aspect of the show is interesting as hell but the criminal of the week stuff bores me to tears, I have no earthly idea why they are bothering with that. :psyduck: guess I'll keep going.

So many shows do that crap though. Justified, Fringe, etc. until they realize that criminal/monster of the week well, sucks. I just don't know why to do that in the first place.

Except Person of Interest's cases of the week are always really good. It's the overarching storyline that makes the show transcendent, but the weekly stories are by no means a waste of time or superfluous. They are interesting on their own, inventive, well written and flesh out the characters and the world.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

hcreight posted:

Yeah, those two shows are probably the closest to what you're looking for in terms of modern TV shows. The only other current TV Western I'm aware of is Longmire, which I haven't seen but other TVIVers have said nice things about.

There's also Hell on Wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Meanwhile, my wife and I slowed down our Fringe binge that we started in December, but we just have the Season 4 finale to watch, so we've averaged one season a month while being pretty busy. We haven't enjoyed Season 4 as much as 2 and 3, but when it's good, it's still drat good. I'm afraid to venture into the Fringe thread due to spoilers, but generally, what did people think of 4 (and even more generally, 5)?

5 is beautiful, heartbreaking, and life-affirming. It goes out as the greatest sci-fi series ever made.