Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Once Upon A Time is fitfully bad, and generally pretty poor. The spin off series also had a wonky start - neither show had good SFX, but Wonderland is particularly invested in muddy looking CGI backgrounds - but ends up surprisingly compelling. Still, I wouldn't particularly recommend the show.

Grimm is more mediocre than bad, and has little to no interest in its mega plot for long periods of time. (As opposed to OUAT, which has a lot of plot busywork, but it's really all plate spinning). It's probably the best of the three shows you've suggested. Some fun side characters.

Sleepy Hollow is very bad. It has some fun material early on, but also no intention of paying off any of its early hooks (which are numerous, and nearly all dropped). It rapidly goes downhill, and early into its second season becomes basically terrible.

If you're looking for fun fantasy action shows, I'd recommend Buffy/Angel (not loved on this forum, but still, IMO, very good, particularly Angel), The Magicians, Wynonna Earp (very poor early half a dozen EPs, before becoming easily the funniest show on this list), Being Human (the UK version, don't bother with the US, the writing mistakes morality play for soap opera).

I can poke holes at all of these, but I reckon they were all worth a person's time. They also all have endings, except Earp which is ongoing, which is more than can be said for a lot of television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I did the exact same thing as you but gave up on The Americans after season 2.

It’s just a downer of a show. It is incredibly well acted, but it’s really dark and gloomy and, maybe with everything going on in 2020 I wasn’t in the mood for that type of show.

I remember when critics kept insisting that The Americans was the best show no one was watching, and know no one talks about it. Excellent performances, definitely, but it's also very cold, very slow, and unlike Mad Men, The Sopranos, Deadwood, etc. not nearly as funny.

The plot of the finale reads as a kind of terrible joke, I'll give it that. However, the show never really worked for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do kinda wonder when they'll finally make a show like The Flight Attendant that's about gay men, rather than just for them*, but that's really a random dumb side thought.

I had a few things I thought were a bit off, but mostly I thought the show was a lot of fun. A really great cast given space to give great performances.

And the music was loving awesome.

*obviously not exclusively, but you can see how the aesthetic is there.

mcmagic posted:

I really did enjoy The Flight Attendant until they make the loving CIA the good guys

I didn't think much about the CIA stuff at the end made any sense.

Constellation I posted:

I hate-watched The Flight Attendant for the past week. I don't know if it's the source material or what, the plot is decent enough but they really dropped the ball in fleshing out the story arcs. They were either pointless, unsatisfying payoffs or made no sense. I also never came around to Cassie's character even after watching the whole thing.

I dunno, I thought the characters all worked for me. It's escapist fantasy with cute boys, but they all had depth and were flawed in decent ways, even the moral compass character (though she came close to being frustrating at times). I wasn't expecting anything but an airport novel.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Norse Code posted:

I'm watching Supernatural for the first time because I've been blasting through too many shows and I need something long.... It took me 3 seasons to get into it and I'm currently on season 7, and I can see how Destiel was even a thing, but why did they want to shy away from it?

p.s. any other long recs ? I've watched so many shows during quarantine.

X-Files (which is basically the show Supernatural most clearly owes a debt to) and Doctor Who are the other two big epics of sci-fi / fantasy television. Stargate also exists, but it can be very basic a lot of the time (and pretty awesome some other times, though not as frequently as the other big hitters here).

If you're looking for something of a similar genre ilk, but not quite as long, then Babylon 5, Hercules and Xena from the 90's; Buffy, Angel, Farscape and Battlestar from the 00's (and Lost if you're feeling like a masochist), and The Expanse, Wynonna Earp, The Magicians, Killjoys and Defiance from the 10's. And there are probably other shows I'm forgetting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sweet Home. It's fun when it's being deliberately cheesy, and occasionally so bad it's good. It's dramatic to the point of absurdity, and pretty extreme when it wants you to feel sad about something. So there's lots of crying, quite a few drawn out self sacrifices and mercy kills, with at least two characters receiving both.

The lead isn't very good, and they give him a really lovely wig to wear which doesn't help things. The supporting performances can be pretty good though, particularly from the older cast (the ones who aren't burdened by having to play fuckhead characters at least).

Monster designs are mostly good too, though if you expect the show NOT to end with two K-pop idols exploring their shared homoerotic tension I don't know how to help you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've not enjoyed Superstore as much since it got lighter and sillier, but it's still a good show.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And apparently NBC is cancelling it after this season.

If you mean that they've announced that this season is to be its final one, then yeah?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And the difference is.....?

Cancellation has a different connotation, I guess. The term's typically been used to describe a show that's been prematurely ended, i.e. ended without any form of definite conclusion, vs. ended with a definitive conclusion. So Terriers was cancelled, but The Americans ended.

If you told me a show was cancelled, as opposed to telling me a show was ended, I'd have a completely different take away from what you said.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Dude this is fuckin Star Wars. The fanbase DOES get a hardon when film characters show up.

Can't blame people for not wanting to watch someone's fetish though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Knights can have padawans, and Ahsoka was assigned to him shortly after Episode 2 because they wanted to teach him responsibility.

Hey kid, you've got to be more responsible. Have this human being fursona alien I guess.

Jedi are such loving dicks I'll tell you what.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really liked both seasons, though I know the second season wasn't as popular. I did miss the music choices from the first season though.

Red Oktober posted:

It’s also a very good podcast which I would heartily recommend! And they did a good making of where they talked about changes they needed to make. For instance the first scene with Bobby’s character (David Schwimmer in the podcast) going through the factory and warehouse is set in an airport, which is easy enough to fake for a podcast - but far too expensive for a filmed show.

Is the second season also adapted from the podcast, or did they invent new material for the show?

(I know the writers of both series are the same, I'm just wondering if the two shows are significantly different.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mystes posted:

The what?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

clown shoes posted:

Nary a muppet in that pic.

I couldn't get a good shot of the bit where the muppet turned up. :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zoracle Zed posted:

watched two seasons of Warrior and then immediately turned around and blew threw all 4 seasons of Banshee. What the hell happened in season 4? Complete mess. The first 3 were great though

Budget was slashed.and Anthony Starr said he didn't want to do fight scenes any more.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

Just finished Sweet Home. Was this supposed to be a dark comedy? I ask because that Imagine Dragons song was getting too ridiculous to take seriously.

That bit with the elevator?

loving priceless.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I was binging Van Helsing back in like November and I got stuck on the last couple of seasons when it was just getting to be too much convoluted mythology that was no fun at all. Then I like forgot about about it for a couple of months and am trying to just power through the last season so I can get it off my ledger... but man, the last season is a slog. I don't even know if its bad but its just an entirely different show with an entirely different cast and I'm having a real hard time convincing myself to invest in the show a second time from scratch. The first time didn't exactly pay off.

They were hit with actor availability issues and writer availability issues, both of which seem to have cleared up now (for the show's fifth and final season).

I thought there were some fun episodes throughout the season though, particularly in the back half when everyone had settled in more.

The villains were mostly duds though. Except Tricia Helfer; I don't think she's been better in a role since BSG.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland has been on my TV recently because my partner loves everything to do with Wonderland and watches a whole bunch of really bad Wonderland adaptations.

It's hammy, ridiculous, poorly acted, oddly written, and yet I can't help but enjoy it. It has a certain charm that rises above mediocrity.

I remember the last few episodes ended up being pretty compelling. And Emma Rigby (the red queen) is always good value for money.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

when does season 5 of babylon 5 stop sucking rear end?

Midseason, though there are a few good episodes in the first half.

The second half is really good, and I'd still place the fifth season above the first in terms of how much I enjoyed it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Deuce, Season 2.

God this whole film subplot is gold. Absolutely mad with myself that I slept on this.

Also this is my first real David Simon show, though I saw Generation Kill. Skarsgard sank that poo poo for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

VinylonUnderground posted:

I agree with you and I feel most people grade the show on sketch comedy rules. Most of it is garbage but all it takes is one good moment.

Nah. It's funny and weird, and I find it engrossing all the way through. Some of it's very, very clever too.

The roundabout it fun slapstick nonsense, but that's just one part of what makes the show good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I am currently binging Alex Rider and I would like to inform you that the villain's safe code is Hitler's birthday.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Also, The Plot Against America on HBO, which no one watched.

AND! Show Me A Hero, with Catherine Keener and Oscar Isaac.

And he's got two new shows coming up.

I feel like, post Treme, David Simon just dropped off the map for a lot of people.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

That's a hell of a lot more Spartacus than Rome.

Even Rome is more Spartacus that Vikings is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

TV has never been better than around that 2004 to 2006 timeframe. You had The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Carnivale just on HBO. You had shows like Battlestar Galactic, The Shield, and Lost on other channels. I am sure I am not remembering some shows, but despite my love for The Leftovers and H&CF (which is my favorite show since Mad Men), 2017 gets in line behind either 2004 or 2005. It was like having 5 to 6 shows airing in one year that were just as good or better than The Leftovers.

Yeah, that's genuinely the Golden Age of TV as far as I'm concerned.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Killer robot posted:

Now that part is genuinely true. The 2000s were the last era where most people could be familiar with, much less watching, everything good on TV.

"That part"? Im confused; from where I'm standing, the entire post is correct.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Owling Howl posted:

Tribes of Europa is a German post-apocalypse show. I enjoyed it - the genre is stale at this point but it avoids the worst tropes and dodges obvious plot lines while working through some questionable morals. Pacing is good, things happen without being rushed.

That said it recycles a lot of stuff from the genre, it just didn't actively annoy me. Lot of comparisons to The 100 but I hated that show and quit it after half a season. Your mileage may vary.

I enjoyed it, but it's very, very obvious how much of a Game Of Thrones clone the show is. You've got White Walkers, Stark kids, a King's Landing style political setting (except everyone there wears Death Metal)... I enjoyed it though, even if it didn't set my world on fire.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cactus posted:

I'm midway through S3 now and a certain thing happened to that character which I'm hoping starts them on an arc that fixes this.

Uhh. Don't get your hopes up. Pretty much everything to do with the Underworld Library ends up as a dropped plot point.

Season Four drops a loooot of balls.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume we're counting out shows that kill large portions of their casts over consecutive episodes, 1-by-1 style, so not Heathers, Van Helsinki, Mr. Robot, etc. ?

Or shows with multiple deaths as part of their season (or series) climax or season opener (e.g. Game Of Thrones, Lost, Defiance)?

Then, the only one that I can think of that gets close is Love My Way, an Australian drama about a divorced couple that shares their kid between their two new families. They kill the kid, randomly, halfway through an episode in the middle of the first season. It doesn't count as an example that kills off many cast members, but it's 20% of the cast, completely unanticipated by the plot of the season or even the episode, and a kid, so I think it counts.

It's a very good show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Sounds to me like they had issues with the kid's actor(or more likely their parents) and just chose to get rid of them as soon as they could

Maybe, but I dunno. It completely changed the course of the show, in a way that made it clear that it was an essential beat of the show theywere telling. The show becomes quite an effective show about mourning the loss of a child. Also the kid comes back for a few appearances.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Assuming you haven't seen them, based on your list I think you'll like these:

- Undone
- Upload
- The Great
- The Act
- Search Party
- The Americans
- Halt And Catch Fire
- The Knick
- Jett
- The Good Fight

And any of the TV classic shows, e.g. Deadwood, The Wire, The Sopranos, Girls, etc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Does someone really count as a main character if they die that early?

Probably not.

She's also barely in the show's first episode.

Spooks certainly did kill off an awful lot of cast members, but usually only during season openers or climaxes, which I figure isn't what you're looking for here.

Otherwise you could include shows like Being Human or Misfits, shows which removed or killed their entire casts over a protracted period of time. But there aren't any mid-season casual massacres on any of these shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Being Human UK. Such a gorgeously written show, wonderful, clever, emotional dialogue in that greqt slightly stagey, slightly naturalistic kitchen sink drama tradition.

It's absolutely destined to be one of those forgotten television shows, probably remembered largely because a lot of its cast became very reputable character actors. But it's a favourite.

My god though, the loving eagle strike noise this show does every time the vampires get angry is the campiest poo poo.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Strictly speaking, I guess not, but with the right combo of casting a big name and promotional framing, you can certainly setup the expectation that someone isn't a redshirt.

It's also the sheer brutality and pointlessness of it all. It's an episode about Catholics who bomb abortion clinics or something equally banal, and a weird throwback to a time when these were the kinds of topical issues MI5 could be convincingly seen dealing with on screen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cactus posted:

Holy poo poo I've been watching this and it's so good.

They've got a new show on the way too, similar cast.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/02/carla-gugino-series-leopard-skin-agc-television-1234689942/amp/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

After finishing up Avenue 5 and The Knick, I need a new show to binge.

How's The Sinner or Behind Her Eyes?

The first season of The Sinner is really good. Later seasons are not as good, but not terrible.

Unlike Behind Her Eyes, which is terrible.

Also I feel like I'll be shot if I don't suggest you watch Jett. So watch Jett or Cactus will shoot me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait there's going to be a third season of The Knick? That's fantastic news, and I didn't expect it at all. Particularly given the way it ended.

Not confirmed, but there's been a lot of chatter. Maybe it'll just be a Hannibal Season 4 situation, where nothing actually happens, but who knows?

nwin posted:

Ugh all done with fargo for a while. Season 3 dragged on, was boring a lot of the time, didn’t make sense other times, and man I just need a break. And that loving ending.

Season 4 is worse.

I've seen a lot of defences of the show that amount to "a bad season of Fargo is still better than most other television", to which I shall rebut: lol, no.

I reckon Noah Hawley climbed up his own butt sometime around Legion Season 2 (does anyone remember that critics letter he sent out?) and I suspect he's choked to death up there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I wonder if it would hold up better binged. The highs were great but god drat those interludes.

I'm not sure this is a solution to a show being protractedly boring and / or bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ishamael posted:

Counter-argument: the end of S2 is complete garbage, as bad as the end of GoT, and the whole thing has its wheels come off during that last episode.

I remember all the speculation at the time about the chapter that's missing from the end of that season, only for it never to be followed up on.

That finale has a great fight scene, and at some point Amber Midthunder became an actual actress, which is nice, but the entire show is such a mess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

And yet so many of the reviews made out that it was a step up on the first season and not a boring turd.

Maybe, just maybe, people have different tastes?????

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sad question posted:

Is it when they sing about Hitler's balls?

That's about 2/3rds of the way into Season 3.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Season 4 was a bit of a drag, and I think it started picking back up in 5. I can go into detail if anyone wants to discuss, but for now I'll keep it short.

Please tell me more about how we are correct about Season 4 and how everyone else on the internet is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, you're looking in the wrong places. Wynonna Earp is fun, if very cheap early on, and tremendously overplotted. It chills out in later seasons when they thin out the cast a bit.

Vagrant Queen and Resident Alien are fun, if a bit more scifi than what your other choices suggest you're into. I'd still recommend them, with the provisio that you're probably shouldn't care about budget. Some shows just don't have money.

Happy is a good choice too. Strong Preacher energy.

Basically anything made by the Syfy channel is worth a look in. Warehouse 13, Eureka.

USA made The Librarians, which is very disposable. I gave up after two seasons, but my friend and I watched an episode from season 4 and we found it very very fun, so I'm guessing it picks up a significant amount.

Oh! And Legends of Tomorrow / Farscape, with the provisio that the former show only gets particularly good with its third season.

Edit: and Netflix made a Magicians knockoff that lasted two seasons. The Order. I've not seen it, but apparently it's stupid fun.