Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I've gotten back into watching Law & Order SVU from the beginning and while overall I like the show a lot, it definitely has some lemons, most of the time that manifests in an otherwise fine episode having a really lovely ending tacked on that ruins it(this is a common problem with Crime shows I've noticed), but the episode I just watched S2 E11 "Abuse" was just an amazingly lovely and depressing episode from start to finish

Also she probably gets better as the show goes on but right now I despise the Alexandra Cabot character, she's not only an unlikable jerk she's also amazingly incompetent at her job which is really frustrating considering every other main character is quite competent at what they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

beanieson posted:

Me and my 8yo son watched all 160 something episodes of Batman The Animated Series and it loving rules as hard as I remember it.

If you have Disney+ you should give Gargoyles a try next

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

beanieson posted:

Oh poo poo, I’d completely forgotten about that show.

Thank you :wotwot:

Just remember to stop at the first episode of Season 3, also I can't remember if Disney+ has everything in the right order, so double check with Wikipedia to be sure

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

beanieson posted:

Does it drop off? I haven’t seen it since I was 13 so it’s hard to judge quality. With Batman TAS for example, I’d completely forgotten that the later rebooted episodes with Tim Drake and Dick Grayson as Nightwing we’re actually a different series. The animation isn’t so great and a lot of the characters look different even though the voice actors are the same.

Greg Weisman, one of the main people involved with Gargoyles got let go after the first episode of Season 3 and there's a very noticeable quality drop* off afterwards, accordingly both Weisman and the fandom in general tend to agree that the rest of Season 3 is non canon

*there's a couple lemons in Season 2 as well mind you, but overall more bearable there

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A couple episodes into Season 4 of Law and Order: SVU, and so far it and the last couple of episodes of Season 3 have been fantastic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Started binging The Muppet Show now that it's on Disney+ and yup that's still some good TV

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Killer robot posted:

I've been watching CW's Nancy Drew. It's a guilty pleasure, dumb supernatural mystery soap opera but I was roped into it. It's interesting how much it feels like they were aiming less for "Nancy Drew mysteries but with real ghosts" and more for "Veronica Mars in overly haunted Maine." Also with covid interruptions the first season got cut from 22 episodes to 18, which you can imagine did great things for a season-long arc mystery show.

There are things I find charming and things I find ridiculous about it, but the crazy thing is how season 2 seems to be moving toward a really weird shared universe with the Bobbsey Twins set up as recurring characters and an upcoming Tom Swift backdoor pilot.

That's cause they're all Stratemeyer Syndicate properties

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

I assume we're counting out shows that kill large portions of their casts over consecutive episodes, 1-by-1 style, so not Heathers, Van Helsinki, Mr. Robot, etc. ?

Or shows with multiple deaths as part of their season (or series) climax or season opener (e.g. Game Of Thrones, Lost, Defiance)?

Then, the only one that I can think of that gets close is Love My Way, an Australian drama about a divorced couple that shares their kid between their two new families. They kill the kid, randomly, halfway through an episode in the middle of the first season. It doesn't count as an example that kills off many cast members, but it's 20% of the cast, completely unanticipated by the plot of the season or even the episode, and a kid, so I think it counts.

It's a very good show.

Sounds to me like they had issues with the kid's actor(or more likely their parents) and just chose to get rid of them as soon as they could

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Maybe, but I dunno. It completely changed the course of the show, in a way that made it clear that it was an essential beat of the show theywere telling. The show becomes quite an effective show about mourning the loss of a child. Also the kid comes back for a few appearances.

Well I was leaning on the likely Doylist reason they went that path, certainly commendable on their end to make good storytelling out of something that on a lesser show would be a cheesy and tasteless marketing stunt

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

A great series for killing off characters was the BBC's Spooks. They killed off one of the main characters in the second ever episode and from then on you really couldn't count on anyone making it to the end of the season. No charatcer or actor was too big named to die.

Does someone really count as a main character if they die that early?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

I started watching through Law & Order SVU since it gets referenced a lot. Perfect show to have on while I work. Some of these episodes are really damned good too, like the piano teacher one I just watched at the end of S1. :stare:

Super excited to get to S2 and Ice-T :q:

SVU is a fun show when it A) doesn't have a lovely downer ending that ruins an otherwise great episode and B) doesn't get bogged down by crappy courtroom scenes(cause as good as they are at making the Detective characters compelling to watch, they are horrid at doing the same with any lawyer characters or many of the judges)

Which means watching SVU is kinda the TV equivalent of playing Russian Roulette as sometimes you'll get an excellent episode, sometimes you get a boring slog of an episode, and sometimes you get an episode that seems like it'll be in the first category and then shits itself in the last five minutes and just leaves you mad for the rest of the day for wasting your time and insulting your intelligence

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Started watching Empire and it's some good poo poo so far

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I want someone to turn the 14 original Frank Baum Oz books into a high budget 10 episode per season show. I needs me some fun fantasy/magic/powers/escapism that is well done.

Agreed, though also include some of Baum's other works like The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus that tie into Oz as well, and honestly might as well adapt the rest of the "Famous Forty" Oz books as well

And then there's the matter of what style the show should be done in and who to put in charge of it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Just started watching Murder, She Wrote on Peacock and I can already tell I'm going to probably be enjoying this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

have you seen Columbo? if not, you're in for a treat.

Not really, this kinda happened cause I saw a dumb meme about Columbo on Tumblr the other day, which led to a Wikipedia dive into all sorts of Detective shows and stories and on a whim I looked up some of these shows availability on streaming and saw it was on Peacock(along with Columbo incidentally) which I already had a subscription to